Oxygen Not Included!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lorini

Oxygen Not Included!

Post by Lorini »

http://store.steampowered.com/app/45714 ... _Included/

It's on sale so I thought it'd be a good time to start a thread :)

This game is SO GOOD! Better than Factorio for me because you can start slowly with the game, things don't get so big and crucial so fast as they seem to in Factorio. It might be like KSP but I've never played KSP (physics!! shudder). I have over 500 hours in the game. Yes the game is in Early Access but it's very very playable, the impact of early access is that they add new stuff to the game that can really change it, it's not like they are working mostly on bug fixing or small changes.

Videos by Brothgar and GrindthisGame are tutorial-like, while Biffa's videos are more casual. I recommend all three of them on YouTube.
Last edited by Lorini on Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Re: Oxygen Not Included! (Early Access)

Post by LordMortis »

I love me so Klie games done right and they deserve my money and this one looks like it pushes all the immersive and impressive stylistic choice buttons I loved about DST but something about watching Quills Let's Play many months ago, turned me off at the time. I don't remember what it was.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

It's changed a ton since then. I really do recommend watching more current videos, especially Biffa's.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

I'm not showing it's on sale...
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'm sorely tempted by this. I loved the artistic style in Don't Starve, and I love the concept.

Sale or not, I've been planning to snag it for a while but have been waiting for a "genre" urge to hit before I did so it wasn't just sitting in my games directory, paid and unplayed.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I'm not very good at it, but I do enjoy playing ONI a lot... really fun, well designed, side scrolling, DF-like.

It's very playable now, but I'm mostly waiting for them to officially release it.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I guess I should check to see if there's a roadmap but May will be their one year anniversary in EA and hopefully it'll release then.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lorini wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:56 pm It's changed a ton since then. I really do recommend watching more current videos, especially Biffa's.
watched a bit of the intro with grind this game "new rancher upgrade" at lunch and yeah, and the bit a saw is a lot more dwarf fortress like than is was from when I first saw it announced.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Stupid OO effect (and birthday money burning a whole in my pocket). Downloading now.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

Tried this for about an hour yesterday. This is one that really needs a tutorial. I already made peace with the fact that my Duplicants were going to have very short lives and was willing to try things just to see how they worked. But figuring out even how to try things is a challenge. Some examples:
  • I built a Manual Generator and seemingly wired it to my Oxygen Producer. But no one would hop on and charge it up. I eventually figured out that you drag to create wires rather than clicking in the individual squares (not sure what I created before, maybe a series of outlets?).
  • I have a bunch of oxygen generators because I have low oxygen in my bedroom (which is under my starting door). They won't produce anything, though, and the Otto, the only one brave enough to sleep on the bed, has to wake up multiple times during the night and head to higher ground so he doesn't suffocate. I still haven't figured out how to fix that.
  • Food - I don't have any. I had some Mush Creator thing, but had it set to Licebars instead of just Mush but it never indicated that I didn't (and wouldn't) have what I needed to make them. So my Little Buddies are always on the verge of starvation now that their starting rations have been consumed.
  • I didn't realize Research was really very near the top of the list and should be started on immediately. Once I got the Generator properly wired, it was trivial to start and would have been useful to get harvestable crops to feed my people. Now it doesn't look like we will get there. Although, even if I had the research, I don't know where I'd grow stuff. I got a compost heap that seems like it would be useful, but no indication what the next step is.
All that said, it was still fun. I'm sure I'll figure it all out eventually (although the oxygen thing really has me stumped), but they could make the learning curve a bit more gradual.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

stessier wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:49 am All that said, it was still fun. I'm sure I'll figure it all out eventually (although the oxygen thing really has me stumped), but they could make the learning curve a bit more gradual.
The thing about gases in this is they really act like gases. Oxygen is relatively light and will tend to seek the highest point in your base, while carbon dioxide is heavier and will tend to collect in the lower parts of your base.

Producing more oxygen will help, but then air pressure comes into play... if the air pressure is already too high, your oxygen generators won't function.

Later on there are ways to move gases around and clean them up, but early on a good strategy can be to build a low lying room in your base to act as a collector for Carbon Dioxide. Since it will naturally seek a low point, that should help to keep it out of your main base, and filling that room with terraria can help treat the Carbon Dioxide to an extent.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I recommend watching some Let's Play's. I enjoy Blitz's.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
naednek

Post by naednek »

I watched this to get started. Still learning

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

This was a last second $15 Steam Sale purchase and so far it is the darling of the... the belle of the ball.

The game can suck away a weekend day like that. And I suck at the game. I can get twenty some cycles in or so and then either I'm running out of food/oxygen or collapsing of my own weight.

If I run the electric oxygen producers I run out of Algae. If I run the algae farms tending them gets to be such a time consuming task, I don't feed myself.

I'm wondering if I should stick with three Duplicants early game keep from sucking down the oxygen level

Do plants and animals consume produce oxygen? I can't find details.

As much as I suck badly, this has me. Also I need to go back and watch all of the Klie update movies. I'm guessing based on style this the same team as developed Don't Starve and they made EA for Don't Starve so much fun.

But, wow, do I suck at this game....
stessier

Post by stessier »

I feel ya. I, too, stink at it. I just can't figure out how to get started and sustainable, even on a small scale. My big achievement last game was figuring out how to make food. And it took all their time just to keep themselves fed. Then someone started sneezing and everyone got sick and will soon be dead. I just don't get it. It's not fun yet, either, which is a problem. It's just annoying. I find myself going back to Factorio where I at least understand what needs to be done.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

There's some kind of process... but I agree, I haven't figured it out.

Attempt 1: We're all suffocating!
Attempt 2: We're all starving!
Attempt 3: The air has turned toxic!
Attempt 4: Play a different game for a while.

My best show so far had water-driven scrubbers pulling CO2 out of the air, and Electrolyzers to turn water into O2 and Hydrogen. The excess Hydrogen was siphoned off to power a generator that in turn powered the Electrolyzer. The oxygen was pushed back into the habitat. I was so proud of my achievement that I neglected to push farming hard enough as an agenda and half my colony died before the first plants were grown... Also - I'm eventually going to run out of water, and can't figure out what to do with waste water, except to dump it into a neighboring "cesspool" that was stamped "Deal with this later".

Farming is a huge venture that can't be started late, and I made a possibly premature push to Hydroponics. I did, however, have a great farmer working the crops so everything was growing really well... you know, before everyone started dying.
Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I assume there is no sustainable but I assume there is get to a whole lot further than I get, especially as I can clearly see there are neighboring colonies that I never get to as the hospitable circle is always small and exploited with me on a death spiral before I find have and adequate way to think about branching out.

On my furthest attempt I got to where I was using coal to produce energy and then I tried to use the CO2 scrubber. Only it doesn't come with an instruction manual. So I put a ton of work in trying to figure out how to make it go, while the CO2 pressure down below eventually ruined the lower levels of my colony. Game over.

I figure now, I'm just looking for a heave Oxylite starting seed.... with a good place to dump water.... and enough copper... and water I can get to... and...

I'll probably start watching some play throughs, though I'm not sure when and to what level. This is one of those games I like to explore the what is happening... right up until I research something and go how the was I supposed to know that?
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Here is my easy peasy way to make food.

Here is much more extensive help.

Also feel free to ask questions, noting that I'm nowhere close to being a pro.

You need to keep digging below the start of your base so that the oxygen generation that you have (I only use Algae deoxydizers) will be used most efficiently. The caves you create below your base are places for the carbon dioxide to go. You've got to do that or use skimmers, I find that digging is far better and easier (you need to do it anyway) than skimmers.

The water sieve will turn poo water into 70C temp water. Then you have to figure out a way to cool the water because otherwise your base will die to heat.

In my opinion, too many of the playthroughs on YouTube are way past beginner levels, so I wouldn't recommend them.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Lorini wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:04 pm Here is my easy peasy way to make food.
Heh, that sounds like it will take more than 5 days. I've never made it that long, so might be a challenge. :)
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

stessier wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:26 pm
Lorini wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:04 pm Here is my easy peasy way to make food.
Heh, that sounds like it will take more than 5 days. I've never made it that long, so might be a challenge. :)
Your dupes are dying in five cycles? No way :)
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I've been going through starting seeds beginning with 0 and tossing obviously bad ones, trying to play ones that look practical. 10 seems to be a good beginner seed. Lots of Oxi in the staring biome. Water is easy to get to. There is a short term dumping site for polluted water.

Of course, I'm 15 cycles in and I'm falling prey to the algae plant maintenance problem. When it all fall apart I'll probably try seed 10 again with some lessons learned.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

The next time I play, I'll try digging down more, earlier. I usually have a pretty hefty CO2 pit, but try and keep it sane and start filtering/treating it early instead of leaving it for later.

I've never used a coal generator because it seems like a terrible idea to have one running in a closed space. Hydrogen seems to burn cleanly, but you've got to capture/generate it. I only put "polluting" devices behind airtight pressure doors.

It really seems like you've got to understand the whole chain of events from the beginning to succeed. That's a lot of trial and error.
Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Paingod wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:24 am It really seems like you've got to understand the whole chain of events from the beginning to succeed. That's a lot of trial and error.
This is pretty close to my thought. And it's not so much that I need to understand the whole chain of events, it's that when I research something there is not indicator of how to make it work and that sucks when everything you do is molding an environment to be suit your needs and with the game being so time sensitive. Maybe I need to go to save scrumming. It was crushing to spend so much effort trying to learn to use the carbon scrubber. Nothing advanced mind you, just learning the basics of structure function and in that time, having my whole colony collapse. That was the death of my best colony over the weekend.

I think I slept on a good starter plan to restart seed 10 tonight.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

You shouldn't be relying on oxylite. You need to have Algae deoxydizers in place long before the oxylite runs out. I use one deoxydizer for the entire base for the first 50 or so cycles and I have 10+ dupes. If you keep digging out space for the C02 to go, and start using airflow or mesh tiles early on, oxygen just shouldn't be an issue. Also leave a space on either side of your ladders for oxygen to flow into your base. Your dupes can jump that space so it's not an issue.

Put Coal Generators 10 spaces above the starting dome. The heat they generate will stay at the top and not infiltrate your base.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Only one deoxyidizer and you see all of that nice blue. There is polluted oxygen in the bathroom but I don't play with germs on (they add nothing to my gameplay experince) so it doesn't hurt anything.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Shrink that up, print it out, and keep it in front of you because it's the key to much of ONI's game play and problem solving. Also note that only one 'thing' can be in a space at one time. Ever. So if a space has water in it, it cannot also have any kind of gas in it.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Lorini wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:50 amPut Coal Generators 10 spaces above the starting dome. The heat they generate will stay at the top and not infiltrate your base.
Does heat rise/dissipate on its own, or are those areas above your base becoming infernos?

For "Natural Gas" - do "Flatulent" replicants produce this? Sounds comical, but a serious question.
Black Lives Matter

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Paingod wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:14 pm For "Natural Gas" - do "Flatulent" replicants produce this? Sounds comical, but a serious question.
Yes, but it's fairly trace amounts.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Sepiche wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:50 pm
Paingod wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:14 pm For "Natural Gas" - do "Flatulent" replicants produce this? Sounds comical, but a serious question.
Yes, but it's fairly trace amounts.
Never ever get flatulent dupes. It starts off as trace but as your colony gets older it becomes significant amounts which interfere with food growth. And it's very difficult to get rid of.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Paingod wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:14 pm
Lorini wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:50 amPut Coal Generators 10 spaces above the starting dome. The heat they generate will stay at the top and not infiltrate your base.
Does heat rise/dissipate on its own, or are those areas above your base becoming infernos?
Heat will rise on its own, again be sure to keep digging. And even if those areas were becoming infernos, it would be OK as long as you aren't trying to plant food that doesn't like heat or ranch critters who don't like heat. Your dupes can go into hot areas for a short time anyway, and for longer treks just make exosuits, which while not totally mitigating heat, help.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lorini wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:54 am Only one deoxyidizer and you see all of that nice blue. There is polluted oxygen in the bathroom but I don't play with germs on (they add nothing to my gameplay experince) so it doesn't hurt anything.
I use one deoxydizer for the entire base for the first 50 or so cycles and I have 10+ dupes.
Where is your oxygen coming from? I release oxygen like mad and am both constantly receiving a message that I use more Oxygen than I am creating and burning through oxylite and have problems with areas getting high in unbreathable concentrations.

I will make a note about opening vents next ladders. I have not been doing that and assumed oxygen would flow freely though ladder areas.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Lorini wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:23 pm
Paingod wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:14 pm Does heat rise/dissipate on its own, or are those areas above your base becoming infernos?
Heat will rise on its own, again be sure to keep digging.
So survival in this game relies mostly on understanding the thermal, fluid, and gas dynamics and keeping contaminants contained.
Black Lives Matter

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:27 pm
Lorini wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:54 am Only one deoxyidizer and you see all of that nice blue. There is polluted oxygen in the bathroom but I don't play with germs on (they add nothing to my gameplay experince) so it doesn't hurt anything.
I use one deoxydizer for the entire base for the first 50 or so cycles and I have 10+ dupes.
Where is your oxygen coming from? I release oxygen like mad and am both constantly receiving a message that I use more Oxygen than I am creating and burning through oxylite and have problems with areas getting high in unbreathable concentrations.

I will make a note about opening vents next ladders. I have not been doing that and assumed oxygen would flow freely though ladder areas.
Ignore that message. While it is true you are consuming more oxygen than you're making, your dupes shouldn't be spending much time in the CO2 areas so it doesn't matter. Naturally keep checking your oxygen overlay to see if you need to dig out more, otherwise you can be taken by surprise and if the CO2 gets to be too much, your colony will be doomed.

As you are digging your dupes will get into low/no oxygen areas. Don't worry about that either as they will automatically recover. Note though that if you get a red Suffocating message then that means you need to pause the game and figure out why that dupe can't breath because that message means your dupe will die without direct intervention.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Paingod wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:32 pm
Lorini wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:23 pm
Paingod wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:14 pm Does heat rise/dissipate on its own, or are those areas above your base becoming infernos?
Heat will rise on its own, again be sure to keep digging.
So survival in this game relies mostly on understanding the thermal, fluid, and gas dynamics and keeping contaminants contained.
Throw in engineering and that would be correct :)
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lorini wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:31 pm As you are digging your dupes will get into low/no oxygen areas. Don't worry about that either as they will automatically recover. Note though that if you get a red Suffocating message then that means you need to pause the game and figure out why that dupe can't breath because that message means your dupe will die without direct intervention.
That was never clear. I just see my guys getting up in the middle of the night and running for air and there area showing as non breathable. I'll revamp a bit tonight.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Did you see my set up? My guys don't get up in the middle of the night to breath. If that's happening as you said you need to change your set up so that they get oxygen all night. The vents on the side of the ladders help a lot, as well as having the oxygen generation on the same level as or below the beds and having C02 caves below as well.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

We'll re-evaluate tonight. I think I like seed 10. I'm going to start over and try it with just one alea plot and an open spot on the floor and see what happens. I will also be more draconian in duplicant choices. If last night is an indicator, I'll get about 15 cycles in before I have to go "Oh shit I gotta get to bed so I can get up and go to work tomorrow."
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Yeah read my easy peasy guide on which dupes to get because you absolutely want to be very choosy at the start. You can get dupes with worse traits later but at first you want maximum dupe. In game, don't be afraid to reject all if the ones shown all have bad traits.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I have only two algae plants at cycle 10 and my duplicants are starting to gasp and getting distracted, but we're keeping on. Opening up vertical holes next to ladders has gone a long way to making it cycle 10 with only two algea plants. I just opened up my first chlorine pocket above hydrogen pocket below and I'm waiting for the atmosphere rebalance a little. I'll likely put up a third plant soon. Three is still under control though.

While my seed was a great start, I'm almost completely surrounded by lungrot slime I'm with really bad juju pockets but the good news is that with a picky start my research has flown by. So tomorrow when I sit down I will have the option to learn how to purify water and I will save scrum until I figure it out. I think I'm also on the cusp of having an oxygen purifier tech. Food is just now starting to become a concern but that's partly my own doing. There was so much harvestable plants I didn't even make the much mahcine until cycle 9 and now I just created a single soux chef going back and forth between the mush machine and the grill. I think my time would better be spend with a farm but I'm afraid of the rate at which farms consume resources.

As I said tomorrow will likely be saving and teaching myself how to use various technologies in isolation.