Oxygen Not Included!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lorini

Re: Oxygen Not Included! (Early Access)

Post by Lorini »

Cooks don't really help much with mealwood which is probably the best early food.

Chlorine will kill your food supply. And it's very difficult to get out of your base.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Lorini wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:15 pmChlorine will kill your food supply. And it's very difficult to get out of your base.
Do you ever hit the "boundary" of the asteroid or rock you're digging through? It sounds like something you'd want to vent directly into space. :P

One of the Wikis I was reading mentioned Steam Geysers making late-game options easier by providing infinite water - though you have to deal with heat. Since water seems like the basis for all great things, it seems a worthwhile trade. Is there a way to tell if you have a Steam Geyser early on, so you can decide to restart if you don't have one?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

So if you look at the chemical chart that I showed you, you see that chlorine is heavier than oxygen, meaning that unless you are using some kind of pumping mechanism, you can't just vent out the chlorine. Note that I'm not much of an engineer, so you may want to search for additional set ups to see if you really could vent out all the chlorine.

There are always two steam vents in every colony. You have to analyze them with a Tenured Scientist however to see when they are active, how active they are, and when they go dormant.
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Paingod wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:08 am Do you ever hit the "boundary" of the asteroid or rock you're digging through? It sounds like something you'd want to vent directly into space. :P
As a matter of fact, as of the last update you can eventually dig up to the surface of the asteroid and build structures. Haven't managed to do it myself though.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Sepiche wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:10 am
Paingod wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:08 am Do you ever hit the "boundary" of the asteroid or rock you're digging through? It sounds like something you'd want to vent directly into space. :P
As a matter of fact, as of the last update you can eventually dig up to the surface of the asteroid and build structures. Haven't managed to do it myself though.
I have, but the only reason I can see to do it (other than venting) is for solar panels, which apparently aren't working properly.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Lorini wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:08 pm
Sepiche wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:10 am
I have, but the only reason I can see to do it (other than venting) is for solar panels, which apparently aren't working properly.
I didn't think there'd be something staggering up (or down?) there, but I was hoping it'd be a good place to send gasses that you don't want/need anymore. Does Chlorine serve a purpose, or is it in the way?

I started over last night and focused hard on digging and research instead of population growth. I've got 6 levels (4 tiles+1 floor) cleared out and oxygenated, and moved all my water to a big pit in the bottom, where CO2 accumulates too. I'm at 5 Duplicates after about 18 cycles, with a really good farmer, researcher, and digger on staff with a moderate builder and a Gofer.

My problems right now are a polluted area in the bottom where I touched Slime and it took forever to find the chunk that was bleeding out sickly air. Looking at the mess around me, I need the Slime > Algae converter, and have researched the Air Purifier to handle the gross. I've put in real toilets and showers, but lack the plumbing to deal with the wastewater. I'm assuming I'll create a new room just for waste treatment. A set of airtight sections to pump all my foul water, polluted air, CO2, and other waste where I can have different pumps set up to collect it and send it for correction.

Before I do that, I'm tempted to tear everything apart and re-establish in a deliberate manner. Right now everything is a jumbled mess of "Wherever I had space at the time" and isn't very attractive.
Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Last night, I decided as much as 10 was a good starting location it was surrounded by slimelung and hard to manage pockets on all sides and I wanted to test the Lorini thought on always be digging, preferably down, as the Lorini thought on always open a lane next to your ladders greatly improved my beginning game. I also added "go straight for farms" and I learned a few more things and which means I'll be starting over again.

ONI is truly the name of the game. While I'm learning to manage atmosphere composition last night, it becomes very clear with "always be digging" how much you also need to manage atmosphere heat (which I never had to do until last night) and atmosphere density. I learned these lessons with my farm which I build too close to one of the heat edges and too high. Every time I hollowed out a new area, the oxygen density up top would dip so low my entire farm would go dormant and the crops on the edge never even started growing.

The debate will be, so I stay with seed 0 when I restart. I don't yet understand a way to both always be digging and to keep my colony from quickly overheating. I did reach the fan technology last night and I learned too late how useful heat shield tile can be.
Last edited by LordMortis on Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I put my farm just two layers above the CO2 pit. I could dig further down if need be to keep moving CO2 down. My livable space is generally all the area that can be hollowed out without advanced digging.

The advice to create a 3-space gap with ladders in the middle has been amazing at keeping airflow working correctly. I've got just two Algae converters running and all of my livable space is bright blue.

I've only got the 5 Duplicates running for now and am in no rush to add more. I think I could probably research and build everything with them, but it'll be slow.
Black Lives Matter

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Heat will be an issue throughout your time in ONI. Be very diligent about putting things that get warm like Coal Generators and batteries outside and above your colony. Your plants need protection from heat, although once you manage the slime biome and get mushroom farms going, they are more heat tolerant.

I have heard that chlorine removes germs, but since I don't play with germs on, I don't have any first hand knowledge.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Well the new update dropped and it's kind of meh, no new tech or anything cool. I'm getting ready to start a new game with it now, I'll report back later.
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I enjoy the game a lot, but I'm kind of holding off for release at this point. I just want them to get everything in and finalized before I really sink more time into it.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sepiche wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:30 am I enjoy the game a lot, but I'm kind of holding off for release at this point. I just want them to get everything in and finalized before I really sink more time into it.
I'm sure I will get to that point. I think right now I'm enjoying learning the game without getting invested in it. The second I feel invested in colony and see patches coming I will probably join you. That seems to be what I do and why I keep swearing off Early Access games... right up until I buy another one.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Sepiche wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:30 am I enjoy the game a lot, but I'm kind of holding off for release at this point. I just want them to get everything in and finalized before I really sink more time into it.
I know this is usual, but really they could easily go off in a direction that I wouldn't like and make it like Rimworld for example. And then I'd never play it again, so really I'm very very happy I got in early.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:55 am
I'm sure I will get to that point. I think right now I'm enjoying learning the game without getting invested in it. The second I feel invested in colony and see patches coming I will probably join you. That seems to be what I do and why I keep swearing off Early Access games... right up until I buy another one.
The next patch will be here a week from Thursday. So far I'm not seeing any major changes but the scheduling part is not implemented yet and that will probably define the patch.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Another hint.

See all the crap to the left and the nice blue with a tad of polluted oxygen? That's because of the water lock. As mentioned, only one thing can be in a space, so if there's water in a space then gas can't be there. I cheat and use the sandbox to set this up, but if you want to be pure, you can use a bottle emptier.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I am frustrated with water sieve/purifier. My pump died with Pipe blocked pipe not serviceable message and all of the help on the Internet, isn't help. So it's time to put this down for awhile.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Next time post a pic with the plumbing view. I'm sure I could have fixed it for you. What may have happened was a mis/none use of bridges, they aren't intuitive.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lorini wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:00 am Next time post a pic with the plumbing view. I'm sure I could have fixed it for you. What may have happened was a mis/none use of bridges, they aren't intuitive.
Given I don't know what bridges are that's possible

I dug a pit. I put a pump in. I put pipes up the sieve. I had the sieve empty into a normal clear water pit via pipe. I powered the whole thing. I started dumping dirty water into the pump pit. It started. The sieve started. Then it stalled and I forever get a message about it the pipe being blocked with graphic of what a blocked pipe is. If the game see the error of my way ways as blocked pipe, it should be able to show me what that means. I'm not doing complex programming in some language with a known syntax.

No biggie, though. It just means I take a break is all. There are plenty on games to turn to and plenty of things I should be doing while I'm playing games.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Get lightshot, it's free and easy and post a picture. If you don't know what a bridge is, that may be your problem :) Oh and use postimage.io for ad free postings.
Black Lives Matter
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

OK Lorini, Klei Entertainment/Steam owes you for another sale. I saw in another thread that you had a ton of time in this game and after looking for a new game this weekend between ONI and Stationeers I went with this one and played quite a bit. Absolutely loving it so far (e.g. I am thinking about it at work, so that is a good sign). I am on Day 28 of my first (experimental game) and have just now provided plumbed washrooms for my 5 Dupes and looking at various guides at setting up a good coal power system to get my Dupes off the hamster runs.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Tampa_Gamer wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:52 pm OK Lorini, Klei Entertainment/Steam owes you for another sale. I saw in another thread that you had a ton of time in this game and after looking for a new game this weekend between ONI and Stationeers I went with this one and played quite a bit. Absolutely loving it so far (e.g. I am thinking about it at work, so that is a good sign). I am on Day 28 of my first (experimental game) and have just now provided plumbed washrooms for my 5 Dupes and looking at various guides at setting up a good coal power system to get my Dupes off the hamster runs.
That's the beauty of the game right? I was SO HAPPY when I got my first washroom working, it was a great feeling. Coal is easy peasy, just set it up with a couple of batteries and make sure its priority is set to at least 7 so the dupes will give the generators some coal.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

All ya'll are better than I am, I never could get my pump working and set the game down. Maybe after a few months it's time to try again with a fresh set of eyes.
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:42 am All ya'll are better than I am, I never could get my pump working and set the game down. Maybe after a few months it's time to try again with a fresh set of eyes.
I had the same warning with my washroom system. I had set up my system with two cisterns, one for clean water and one for polluted water. I had a pump from the clean water to the washroom and then the polluted water was piped back down to the cistern for the polluted water. I knew that I had to future proof both cisterns a bit, so I (1) set up an additional unused pipeline to bring water to the clean water cistern, and (2) set a pump on the bottom of the polluted water cistern and a pip to the top of the cistern to be used later. The warning of blocked pipe was in the polluted water cistern, of course I immediately thought I might have to send some poor Dupe down there to plunge it out since I somehow ended up with dirt at the bottom. However, it ended up being that my additional unused pipe was terminated in the wall instead of leaving a stub outside of the wall to be used later. Weird that the game would care if I am not using the pipeline, but after adding one more pipe length the warning was removed.

I do have one question that for some reason I cannot find the answer on the wiki. I like to cross-train the Dupes but am having trouble knowing their "true" skills levels do the early bird/night owl buffs and multiple professions. The question is - does a Dupe retain the buff to strength/athletics, etc. when they finish their job training? I was running all of them through the T2 basic supply role for that purpose, but the buffs seem to disappear once they move on to a new role.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Tampa_Gamer wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:21 pm The question is - does a Dupe retain the buff to strength/athletics, etc. when they finish their job training? I was running all of them through the T2 basic supply role for that purpose, but the buffs seem to disappear once they move on to a new role.
IIRC, they retain their mastery buff but not the actual profession buff, if that makes sense. My memory is for instance, you take whatever the apprentice cook position is, you get +1 cooking for filling the role. Once you master the position you get a +1 cooking. This nets you +2 total if you stay in the role, but if you switching roles, you lose the position bonus but keep the mastery...

I don't know the specific numbers.... To the internet....

Steams says I'm wrong, that mastering the dob is not in addition to filling the role. I don't think so but then I have no memory

https://steamcommunity.com/app/457140/d ... 418281622/

Also these are the bonus specifics which also imply I'm wrong with regard to double dipping when a job is mastered.

https://oxygennotincluded.gamepedia.com/Job
All traits and expectations that a Duplicant learns on a job becomes permanent once that job is mastered.
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

Thanks LordMortis, still a bit confused on viability of strategy for permanently boosting athletic and strength skills of all incoming Dupes by running them through the basic gopher roles. Especially in the early game where you don't have high morale boosters in place, but plenty of busy work to do. Appreciate the help.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Tampa_Gamer wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:33 pm Thanks LordMortis, still a bit confused on viability of strategy for permanently boosting athletic and strength skills of all incoming Dupes by running them through the basic gopher roles. Especially in the early game where you don't have high morale boosters in place, but plenty of busy work to do. Appreciate the help.
When I was playing, I was just running all duplicants through all three of the basics and then worrying about specializing later, while concurrently making sure I had science doll and a cook doll. I don't know that it was bad or good, it's just what I did.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

You need to send polluted water through the water sieve and then deal with the heated up water in any number of ways. You don't have to deal with it right away but it will heat up your base as you use it to irrigate blossoms.
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

The best way I've found to cool your base is to find a cold biome, find some of the planets that grow there and emit cold, and plant them next to anything that produces heat. Later you can also pipe your air up to pass through the cold biome to cool down before being sent back to your base.
naednek

Post by naednek »

any good guides? I started this a while back (thanks Lorini, still hate your dodgers) and didn't get too far. I'm back in, and I'm still lost.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'll need to get back into this eventually. I really enjoyed what I got into, but it felt like the dough in the middle was still a bit raw. I put it back in and am trying to be patient before I spend more time with it.

I barely got the hang of managing gasses, let alone fluids and temperatures.
Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Klei is having a sale on Steam, and this is in a bundle. The sale price of ONI is CAN$22.39 but the bundle is CAN$15.00 because I own everything but ONI.

Long story short, I bought ONI for CAN$15, which seems like a pretty good price. I had been saving up money in my steam wallet for something, no idea what, but this seemed like a pretty good time to use some of my wallet money.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

naednek wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:51 pm any good guides? I started this a while back (thanks Lorini, still hate your dodgers) and didn't get too far. I'm back in, and I'm still lost.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_W0 ... sp=sharing

My Easy Peasy guide to getting started in ONI. Your manager moved MadBum to Friday's start. We will kick his a$$.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Paingod wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:28 am I'll need to get back into this eventually. I really enjoyed what I got into, but it felt like the dough in the middle was still a bit raw. I put it back in and am trying to be patient before I spend more time with it.

I barely got the hang of managing gasses, let alone fluids and temperatures.
Uh that's the middle. That actually hasn't changed in months except they added an (really optional) morale system. They've been working on the end game.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Sepiche wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:52 pm The best way I've found to cool your base is to find a cold biome, find some of the planets that grow there and emit cold, and plant them next to anything that produces heat. Later you can also pipe your air up to pass through the cold biome to cool down before being sent back to your base.
Here's more stuff from Reddit.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Lorini wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:18 am
naednek wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:51 pm any good guides? I started this a while back (thanks Lorini, still hate your dodgers) and didn't get too far. I'm back in, and I'm still lost.

My Easy Peasy guide to getting started in ONI. Your manager moved MadBum to Friday's start. We will kick his a$$.
He'll have another walk off win :)
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

naednek wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:33 am
Lorini wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:18 am

He'll have another walk off win :)
THE HELL HE WILL!!! Also stop beating my hospital in Two Point Hospital that's mean.
Black Lives Matter
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

I realized last night that in my current game the RNG put me in tight spot. I have swamp biomes in 6 of 8 directions and the other two are the volcanic? hot biomes. I have been reading jhaws guides on Steam that Lorini pointed us to and there is a ton of good ideas in there - but they require space either above/below the base to set up a coal power generation system. If I set it up within my current base I think the CO2 or heat will become overwhelming too quickly. Going to try and punch through the volcanic biome first since I think all I need to manage there is overheated Dupes rather than turn slimelung loose in my base if I go into the swamp biomes now.

Is there any use for planters after you hit farm tiles or hydroponic tiles?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

My personal experience after gazillion false starts was that you will always be completely surrounded by toxic muck and heat and must get through it (which I never did) to get to the cold or less harsh biomes. I assumed this what the price you pay for having no obstacles in your starting biome, allowing you to put together a plan for breaking through/mitigating the first damning obstacles. I always chose heat and only was just starting to conquor it before I rage quit with my inability to grasp simple drag and drop for pump. I made self regulating mushroom farms that only required a dwarf to harvest but since then I've apparently gotten so dumb or easily frustrated that I can't figure out how to connect a few pipes to a machine where in and out labeled clearly.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

This is why I tell people in my Easy Peasy guide not to start with germs. If you don't have germs turned on then the muck doesn't matter, and they are fairly easy to deal with but not until you understand the systems in ONI.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Wow, this game has got me mesmerized. Sure, I've played lots of games with just 1 more turn syndrome, and sure, I've stayed up past my bed time quite often when I decide to do so, but this is the first game in a long time that has simply eaten up my time without me knowing it.

I lost over 2 hours last night. That's almost unheard of for me. I don't mean I kept playing longer than I intended to by 2 hours, I mean when I decided to stop I was sure it was x, but it was actually x+2 hours. That's nuts.

Learned some hard lessons about hydroponics too.