Oxygen Not Included!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: Oxygen Not Included! (Early Access)

Post by GreenGoo »

And electrical circuits.

Almost outta algae.

Found an item that lists energy/s as joules/s. Everything else is listed in watts. That's odd. I assume it's a mistake. Why not stay consistent?
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

What are you depending on algae for? It’s not a mistake, I think it’s for the more advanced machines.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I've spent an large amount of time trying to get my plumbing and electrical circuits right. They aren't complicated, there is no automation, I'm only using coal and hamster wheels, but I do have a smelter that I was trying to run with 2 2 coal generators.

Basically, I'd make a mistake, water would pour into my base, I'd clean it up, get a polluted water reservoir up and running with a cleaner, then dump it into a clean water reservoir and when that got full enough, I'd pump it back into my main clean water reservoir. Right now I've got plumbed washrooms and hydroponics with water reclamation, although I'm slowly losing clean water as it's not a completely closed system and there are losses.

Do that enough times and hours upon hours go by with little technological progression. I mean, I've researched far more than I'm able to use right now.

As for algae, I'm still using it for oxygen creation. I have yet to venture into the slime zones, as slimelung has me terrified and I'm still not sure how to handle that.

My electrical needs are very basic. The only mistake I made was drawing too much power across the small wire, so now I've got a transformer set up. Presumably this will prevent more power being drawn than the wire can safely handle, but I just read someone claiming (back in Dec 2017) that you could still draw too much and burn the wire. Which is the exact problem the transformer is designed to prevent, so I don't know.

Actually, I thought a real life transformer was to downstep voltages. High voltage for electricity transport, low voltage for household usage. That's not what the transformer in the game does. As far as I can tell, it prevents more than 1kw from being drawn on the "out" circuit.

Anyway, I don't want to over think it.

When I run out of algae, I run out of oxygen creation. It is my understanding that you can manufacture algae from slime, so that's next. I also understand that there are high level tech that can be used to pull stuff apart and put it back together again in more useful forms. Basically liquid and gas scrubbers. I'm not anywhere near ready for that yet.

I'm making way too much food, of the low level variety with my hydroponic farm. I haven't ventured out past the first biome, so I'm stuck with meallice and bristle berries right now.

Obviously if I've overlooked something or I'm mistaken in my understanding of stuff, let me know.

I've read up on some basic stuff, but this is one of the few times I've spent time just experimenting with a game's systems, seeing for myself how they work, making design mistakes and fixing them. I only have 9 dups, they are all tier 3-5 jobs and morale is mostly good. Food is in excess, but that's a recent thing.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I’m phone posting but google Oxygen Not Included SPOM. You’ll find several examples.

Your plight is why I tell people not to turn on germs until they are really comfortable with the game. Germs are very easy to deal with but not when you don’t know the game. I don’t play with them on because they are just a way to lengthen the game. The answer is not creative, and it’s the same answer every time. You can google that as well, again hard to link on the phone.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Here's a SPOM. Note that this one includes cooling which you'll need if you want to keep your base going for a long time. Otherwise drop the heating elements and just make the SPOM.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ok, thanks. Food poisoning has never been a problem, but I'm not equipped for slimelung yet. Don't even have a medical room.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

You should never get slimelung. You can still go into the slime but if you are careful with your entrances to the base and take precautions you should be fine.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Hah. Well I set up a slime->algae converter (algae distiller), but since I already had the infrastructure in my base I put it inside my base and I set up a storage unit for only slime. Needless to say my base is completely covered in slimelung, even though I had a sink in there with it.

I believe the mistake I made was two-fold. I didn't have a decontamination chamber for leaving/entering my base to the swamp biome, and secondly, I carried slime through my base. Seems obvious in hindsight, but...shrug.

The conversion rate of slime to algae is 3 to 1, which is not great, and the amount of slime is limited if you don't set up a slime farm. Algae Deoxydizers consume algae at 500g/s, but the Algae Distiller only produces algae at 200g/s, so there is no way to keep up with oxygenation with this method. I have 2 algae deoxydizers going and only 1 algae distiller.

I was under the impression that you could use slime conversion as an interim oxygen solution while you expanded and researched, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

It's about time I started a new game anyway. I'm at cycle 72 with only 10 dups (all happy though) and still using coal and muscle to generate my power. I've learned some lessons and should be able to get back on my feet relatively quickly.

I'm not sure what to do when I run out of algae, except tech up much faster and get to the spom before I run out. 72 cycles in and I still didn't have the tech for the spom or even find the cold biome.

I'm happy to have people give me hints and whatnot, but I'm not looking for complete solutions. Normally I would just look up what other people are doing and copy them, but this time around I'm experimenting for myself. A LOT of time wasted doing fiddly things, trying to figure out the mechanics, but I'm getting there.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Don't forget about ranching.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Any way to see what the custom settings are for game already in progress? I want to start a new game but I can't remember what my old game settings are. I'd like to know so I can decide whether to make some of the settings harder/easier for my new game.

When you guys say "turn germs off" I assume that means impervious immune systems?

Edit:

All my dups have fasting, so I know that I set that option to the second easiest.
All my dups have strong immune systems, so I know that I set that option to the second easiest.
All my dups have no stress modifiers, so I know that I set that option to normal.
All my dups have no special morale modifiers, so I know that I set that option to normal. - This is a tough one, as it only kicks in when morale is low, so it's not so easy to start a new game with known settings and immediately view the low morale stress modifier. I'm going to assume that because I set my stress to normal, I set morale to normal as well.

So my last game was:

Immune systems: strong
Duplicant mood: regular
Stress reactions: On
Morale stress: regular
Hunger rate: Fasting

My new game will be:

Immune systems: strong (tough, but not immune)
Duplicant mood: regular
Stress reactions: On
Morale stress: regular
Hunger rate: regular (double the eating rate of my last game)

The new game will be default settings except for immune systems. Not quite ready for regular yet. Needing twice as much food will be enough of a change to make things difficult for me early on. It took me quite awhile to get a handle on my food production last game, even with fasting.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Yeah that sounds good, should give a nice challenge without an early meltdown. Yeah no germs is the same as impervious immune system.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Mistakes are already being made in my new game. I'm too busy thinking about later stages of the early game and it has taken me too long to get a mess hall (still not up) up for the morale boost. People have jobs but my farm is in the nascent stage and I did print the first dupe (but not the second) that was available so food is looking like a problem. I've also moved my latrine so I've built 2 latrines in the first 5 days, a bit of a waste of time that I should be spending on other things right now.

I have 3 good sources of water, and I could easily dig out the bottom of one and have it drop directly into another one, but the capacity of the bottom one isn't big enough to handle it, yet. Something to do in the future.

I'm not happy with the geography of the starting biome, but I think that's because I've only ever built 1 base and I can't make the same base in this biome, so I *think* it's a problem because I'm instinctively trying to build the same base over again. I just need to break that thinking and be more creative.

It seems to me that the most efficient early design is turning the printer room into a rec room, and building the mess hall, washrooms and barracks on top of each other in some specific order.

From bottom to top:
Last base rec room->mess (great) hall->washrooms->barracks.
New base is likely to be mess hall-rec room->washrooms->barracks.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Be sure to get the water cooler and the sculpture (hopefully you have at least one dupe with at least 1 creativity/art) in the mess hall and make it as big as you can within the 96 tile limit.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yep. Still haven't researched the arts yet though. Will do it soon enough.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

All you need is the first level for interior decor for the sculpture.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

blank canvases and blocks of stone are tier 2 decor research, but you can make potted bluff briar at tier 1, which still helps early on.

I had to restart. My first game didn't have much in the way of heat biomes nearby so I never gave it another thought. I never noticed in my recent game that I was surrounded by heat on multiple sides, and 1/2 of my first adhoc farm stopped growing because of the temperature. Rather than trying to fix it, it was just easier to start a new game. I could have fixed it but I would probably have lost multiple cycles recreating the farm somewhere else, and food was already getting iffy. I felt I could ill afford the delay in growing.

So I'm on a new one now and I'm taking heat biomes into account.

With that said, I've decided to do an elaborate water drainage from 1 pool into another, without pumps. This has slowed me down because I intend to put my power generation where the soon to be drained pool is. That's probably ok, and setting up the drainage system trying to minimize wasting water or polluting it is kind of fun.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I would like a dup's current activity displayed on the vitals screen. Vitals is the only place you can see a list of all your dups in the same place, otherwise I'd put the activities list somewhere else. Maybe it's own report?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

...and one of my dups got himself entombed at the bottom of my reservoir, and despite setting priorities the other 2 dupes refused to dig him out and decided delivering construction materials or building tiles was more important. Eventually I got them digging with the right amount of job prioritizing and dup prioritizing, but by then he died encased in a tile at the bottom of our clean water source.

I could just reload an earlier autosave, but it has taken WAY longer than I thought to prepare the reservoir to receive the new, large amount of water. Several days, and everyone has hypothermia. I liked the idea of moving water this early, but it looked better on paper than in practice.

I'm just gonna start a new game.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I can't even buy a break. Haven't started a new game yet that didn't have a near fatal flaw that I didn't feel like overcoming. The last game only had copper at the very top of the starting biome. I'm not even sure I could dig to it in a day, although I could probably reach it on day 2. The problem is that all I'd be doing for 2 days is digging upward and building ladders. No rooms, no cots, no pump, no latrine. No thanks.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:09 am I can't even buy a break. Haven't started a new game yet that didn't have a near fatal flaw that I didn't feel like overcoming. The last game only had copper at the very top of the starting biome. I'm not even sure I could dig to it in a day, although I could probably reach it on day 2. The problem is that all I'd be doing for 2 days is digging upward and building ladders. No rooms, no cots, no pump, no latrine. No thanks.
Good seeds
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Look at the heat generation of stuff before you build it. If it's high be sure to build it above your base. Also keep in mind that putting hot water into your water supply will also heat up your base if you are using it for irrigation or your lavatories. Always put coal/natural gas generators above the base, like way above the base.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Lorini wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:33 pm It’s not a mistake, I think it’s for the more advanced machines.
I missed this before.

The reason I think it's a mistake is that 1 watt = 1 joule/second.

They are the same thing. It's not a big deal, and maybe you're correct and it is intentional, but I'm not so sure because I don't see any reason to differentiate them. It's like having everything in mph and then one thing in miles per minute, when an hour is by definition 60 minutes.

Again, not a big deal and I don't even remember what device it was now anyway.

It was definitely more of an observation than a complaint.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Does critter produced slime contain slimelung? I.e. does all slime inherently have slimelung? Is there no way to produce slime without slimelung?
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:34 am Does critter produced slime contain slimelung? I.e. does all slime inherently have slimelung? Is there no way to produce slime without slimelung?
I don't play with germs on so I don't pay attention to slimelung. Also I don't use algae to produce oxygen after the early game so I don't care about slime there either. All that being said, I put slime in a separate container outside of my base so as not to have polluted oxygen in the base, which wrecks my mushrooms.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Sure, I get that. I read that slime can be used to produce or maybe refine iron? Does that sound right?

I'm already confident that using the game spawned slime is not a viable option for oxygen production. That was a mistake I made based on reading some peoples' methods, so I have no plans to try that again.

I don't remember what prompted me to ask the question. I assume it's because slime has other uses besides algae production, but I don't recall what those uses are.

My current game has been balanced on an edge. Food has been in short supply for awhile, because mealwood seeds were extremely rare (just bad luck I guess, plus no dup with decent farm skill). I was late getting a Musher and/or grill up with a cook as well. That said, there has only been 1 cycle where dups wanted food and didn't have it, and over time enough mealwood seeds have dropped that I have a decent number of trees. My hydroponics farm is about to come online so bristle berries will start supplementing the meal lice. It's a small farm because I don't want to burn all my water on plants and cooking.

I'm about to get my first hatch habitat up and running. It only has room for 3 hatch right now, but that should be a decent amount for future ranching, plus the occasional omelette.

I'm running out of space, with my base pushing up against the heat and swamp biomes surrounding me. I'll have to branch out soon enough, so I am going to have to read up on how to handle those biomes. The swamp biomes just need a wash station I think, as long as I don't bring the slime back into the base with me, so that's pretty easy I guess. Not sure if I should use a sink or a wash basin. I wonder which has more efficient water usage.

I have no idea how to shed excess heat still. Everything I read is just wheezeworts, wheezeworts, wheezeworts, but those are in finite supply and require you to dig past the initial biomes in search of a cold one. wheezeworts are a great answer to heat, when you have them. I hope/wish there is another solution besides those. Shouldn't you be able to do heat transfer with air/water pipes exposed to vacuum on the asteroid's surface? That seems like a no brainer, although that might be even farther off, since I'm no where near the surface yet.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

People have come up with a ton of ways deal with heat as the game doesn't offer anything obvious except wheezworts. Like I was saying the main thing is to stop the heat in the first place, but eventually your base is going to overheat. Now you can look for and play around with Anti Entropy Thermo-Nullifiers, they are guaranteed to be in the colony somewhere in the ice biomes and if you give them hydrogen they will cool anything including gases/liquids through pipes. It's tricky though and I haven't succeeded yet in taming one.

Slime is used as fertilizers for mushrooms. Mushrooms are great, noting that they must be in carbon dioxide to grow. Fried mushrooms are better food than blooms or mealwood.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yeah I noticed that while Bristle berries are better food (before or after cooking) than meal lice, they consume a LOT of water. I stumbled across some wild mushrooms in my last game so I also noticed that they were even better food, although I didn't have a clue how to farm them at that time.

I can see a natural gas geyser and some mushrooms just on the other side of a swamp biome border. I will try to access those in the near future. On the plus side it's below my base, so co2 will naturally pool there.

With that said, I've never done anything but basic, gravity based gas management. Algae deoxydizers, deodorizers and carbon scrubbers, that's it. You would think I would spend more time on managing air flow in an environment where ventilation is life, but no.

So I don't know how to handle the natural gas geyser yet. I am going to have to learn.

Oh, and I spent an unreasonable number of cycles dealing with CO2 build up in my current game. I waited a bit long to get a carbon scrubber up and running, and I was determined to put it at the bottom of my base, so my dups spent 1/2 of each cycle for like a week just running to catch their breath. I wasted huge amounts of my dups time. Oops.

I also relied on hamster wheels for power longer than I did in my previous game, but we're at the stage where my power demands exceed what the wheel (even multiple wheels) can provide, so I'm going to set up a quickie coal generator and let the CO2 fall over my crops on its way to my CO2 scrubber. With the natural gas geyser so close I don't want to waste too much time, effort and resources on coal when NG is right there in front of me.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

So back in the day (like four months ago :) ) geysers were always on. So if you found a natural gas geyser you were quite happy about this other source of power. Well then they made them random basically and you have to analyze them with a tenured scientist to find out exactly how much gas they give, when they give it, how often the geyser goes dormant and when the next dormancy is coming. Right now I have three dormant geysers, two of which are gas. All this is to say that you can't depend on natural gas geysers, they are best used to store power in batteries instead of trying to depend on them.

Ranching hatchs will solve your power problem, so I would point in that direction.

I have never used a carbon skimmer because I know I want mushrooms and if you keep taking all the carbon out of your base/colony you won't be able to grow them. I always dig large rooms beneath my base to hold the CO2 that accumulates. I also use the refrigerator exploit and put my refrigerators in there so I don't have to power them. Don't freak out if the game tells you insufficient oxygen generation; it's just doing simple math and not examining your base to see if you have oxygen where you need it.

Once you get to an AETN or you have enough wheeze worts, you won't need to worry about water. Just use all the polluted water to create fresh (but germy) water by putting the polluted water through a water sieve. The water coming out of the sieve will always be 70C, which is too hot for your blossoms and also for your base so you have to work out a way to cool it down. Once you do that, water will never be an issue again.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Oh right, you need a tenured scientist. I'm not anywhere near that right now.

If you dig out a geyser, does it immediately start spewing NG, wasting it until you "cap" it, like an oil well? Or does it sit there benignly waiting for you to harness it?

Also, how do hatches solve power problems?

I'm still curious about water conservation, since as far as I can tell there is water loss that doesn't just turn into dirty water. Watering Blossoms just removes the water from the game, as far as I can tell, as an example. I know that toilets/sinks produce more dirty water than the clean water it uses, so that's a net increase in water. Is that sufficient in the later game when you have way more dups washing and flushing, to counter water removed from the game by other means?

I realize every question I ask has been answered and I can just go look it up, which I have been doing in boatloads already, but I enjoy talking about games here on OO more than google searches. So if you ever get tired of answering questions, don't sweat it.

I haven't even read the whole thread yet though, so I might be asking you to repeat yourself. If so, I apologize. I do plan on reading the whole thread, I just haven't yet.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

If you dig out a geyser, does it immediately start spewing NG, wasting it until you "cap" it, like an oil well? Or does it sit there benignly waiting for you to harness it?
Depends on the geyser. Some of them are shown as spewing gas but when you do the analysis the analysis says they are actually dormant. If you break into a geyser area that shows natural gas, natural gas will come out into your base even if the geyser is in fact dormant. I recommend water locks (you can google that) to stop that from happening.
Also, how do hatches solve power problems?
Look up hatches in the database (the little book icon) and see what they do with food :).
I'm still curious about water conservation, since as far as I can tell there is water loss that doesn't just turn into dirty water. Watering Blossoms just removes the water from the game, as far as I can tell, as an example. I know that toilets/sinks produce more dirty water than the clean water it uses, so that's a net increase in water. Is that sufficient in the later game when you have way more dups washing and flushing, to counter water removed from the game by other means?
You are guaranteed a water type geyser in the colony. In the meantime there's tons of polluted water.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Heh, I totally blanked on hatches pooping coal. I mean, I knew they did so I didn't have to look it up, I just completely forgot while writing my response. Of course converting materials to coal is not particularly efficient, but there are a number of materials that are infinite (or can be, with enough work) that it doesn't matter later in the game. It's my understanding that volcanoes produce infinite quantities of igneous rock, for example. Fertilizer is another I believe.

I have since read up on geysers in general so it is my understanding that all geysers are infinite, just not continuous. Is that correct?

And if the above is true, and there is a clean water geyser somewhere (I didn't even know they existed) then I understand your comments about infinite water.

I can guess at what a water lock is and probably make one with enough experimentation, but I will almost certainly take the easy way out and adopt someone else's design. With that said, my concerns right now is that I only understand how oxygen, polluted oxygen and carbon dioxide act. I believe hydrogen is the lightest so it will float to the top, so we'll have hydrogen/oxygen/C02 layering. I don't know how natural gas or chlorine fit into that. Obviously if you set up elaborate ventilation systems then none of that matters as much, but I'm not anywhere close to trying to do that yet.

My hydroponics farm has just come online, but it only has 5 blossoms. As with mealwood seeds, blossom seeds have been extremely rare as well.

Right now I have 16 mealwood plants and 5 bristle blossoms, and 2 grills set up to convert those into higher calorie food. No one is allowed to eat the raw harvested food. I can't afford it. I've got 7 dups right now and 2 of them just announced that they're starving.

I don't have a lot of confidence I'm going to make it through this without losing dups. Oh well. If it's only 1 or 2 I'll build them a grave site and hope the new spawning dups are good. If it's 4 or 5, I'll probably start a new game :?

edit: Oh, and I'm about to wrangle hatches (only room for 3 right now) so that should provide me with some additional calories via eggs. I understand that I eventually want to breed different types, but right now the eggs are more valuable as food than sources of new hatches.

edit2: Gah, I forgot I had left some mealwood and bristle blossoms growing naturally because my farm wasn't set up at the time. So I have a good 5 or 6 more blossoms I can hydroponisize once I dig them up. I have no more room for mealwood, but I have a good 15 more slots for blossoms.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Just feed the hatches sand. You'll never run out. Yeah they are infinite but one thing I forgot to mention is that some of the natural gas geysers are pretty weak. Before setting up a big geyser operation be sure that the geyser is providing more power than it takes to run the power from the geyser.

Hydrogen
Oxygen
Natural Gas
Steam
Chlorine
Carbon Dioxide

Uh, don't forget about sandbox mode if you want to use it :)
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Thanks for the responses Lorini.

Things aren't looking good. I have enough plants growing to feed everyone without the eggs, but it's a few cycles yet before any of the blossoms mature. 6 of 7 dupes are now starving.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

A lot of the information on pickled meal is over a year old and I can't be sure it's accurate.

Here's what I think I know:

1 lice = 600 cal (-1 food quality)
3 lice = 1800 cal (-1 food quality)
3 lice + grill = 1800 cal (-1 food quality, slower decay, assuming you aren't using C02)

Is that about right? Is there *any* reason to pickle lice if you don't have to worry about decay?
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

The correct numbers are in the game in the tool tip when you want to plant something.

Don't forget about microbe mushers.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Lorini wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:43 pm The correct numbers are in the game in the tool tip when you want to plant something.

Don't forget about microbe mushers.
Yeah, but for some reason I was having trouble understanding the tool tips. For example pickled lice says you need 1800 kcals to make one. I didn't know how many lice that actually was without looking it up because I didn't have a meal louse to click on. Stuff like that. Once you know these things, you know them, but before that it can be a little challenging to gather all the data you need to make a decision. Don't get me wrong, the game does a GREAT job of providing you with information, but there is still room for improvement in a few places.

The only reason I can think of to use a musher after you get a chef is for the liceloaf, but that uses so much water it scares me little. Of course that was back before I knew there would be an infinite supply of water somewhere on the map.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I cracked a couple of eggs and the omelettes seem to have helped. If I'm not mistaken, dupes don't just eat their calorie count, they eat the whole thing. i.e. they don't share high calorie items. That sucks in this case. Normally it wouldn't matter but my dupes are hanging on by the skin of their teeth right now.

I've reached as far as I ever have and now I have "new territory" paralysis. The next stage, venturing out of my starting biome, is a deep unknown for me, and I'm paralyzed when looking at the map and deciding what to do next.

I'm definitely going to screw up and let slimelung in, even if it's not particularly difficult to avoid once you've got a handle on things. My guys all have strong immune systems so that should lessen the damage somewhat.

I have exactly zero experience dealing with gases and ventilation.

Gonna hafta figure something out, but I'm far enough along that I don't want to just try things and see how it goes. Yes I realize you suggested sandbox mode, but believe it or not, the tension of doing this will real consequences (well, real in game consequences anyway) is what I enjoy about playing games like this. I'm less focused on design and more focused on dupe survival. Sorta.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I had that paralysis which is what actually led me to turning the germs off in the first place. I mean I was super excited when I got my first working lavatories, it seemed so complicated at the time.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Exactly.

While I have read a ton since my first game, this is when I really seize on the body of knowledge gathered by others before me.

I'm confident I can make a decontamination station and mine and gather slime outside the main base, I just don't know how to handle base expansion into the swamp biome.

One of the reasons I'm even going into the new biome is expansion pressure, both for resources and space. How to do that while keeping it uninfected has me scared/worried.

I've got some reading to do.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'll note that the morale (aside from starving) of my dupes is significantly better than my last game, and far surpasses what is required for their current jobs. Despite that, I've spent a lot less time working on morale than i did last game. I have a better understanding of how decor works and have used that to my advantage. It all seems obvious after the fact, but during the learning curve it's a challenge imo.

Basically, make the base look nice in areas where dupes spend the most amount of time. Great hall, rec room, barracks, even washrooms. Also anywhere that dupes' jobs require them to stand in the same room for long periods of time. Kitchen, research center. I didn't do much work in my farm area, but that's another place where dupes spend a lot of time.

Sure you can make high traffic areas nice to look at, but that's not required for the jobs dupes are doing at this stage. Since morale only affects which jobs they can handle without stress (I think), having excessively high morale has no benefit that I'm aware of.