Oxygen Not Included!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

LordMortis

Re: Oxygen Not Included! (Early Access)

Post by LordMortis »

Formix wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:06 am So I'm a little confused. Are the geysers randomly generated within a given seed? I'm asking because I restarted after almost 200 cycles on a given seed, but not all of the geysers are where they were in my previous save using the same 666 seed.
There are potentially something like 14 geyesers total and the eight hidden ones are random but due to the way seeding works some of them may be overwritten, meaning there can be considerably less the 14. That's where I got frustrated and elected to qucikly peruse seeds until I found a seed with 12 total without taking the time actually survey the map and try to remember where they are at.

https://oxygennotincluded.gamepedia.com/Geyser
All geysers are spawned as part of biomes, with a specified amount for each biome. Those amounts are as follows:

Swamp
1 cool steam vent
1 natural gas vent
2 randomly chosen geysers (any from the above list)
Caustic
1 cool steam vent
1 natural gas vent OR chlorine vent
2 randomly chosen geysers
Frozen
2 randomly chosen geysers

All randomly chosen geysers will start covered with granite and obsidian, and all specified geysers will start unconvered. In some cases, maps will contain less than what is listed due to points of interest overwriting each-other due to close proximity.

As a convenient rule of thumb, each biome type will only have at most two buried geysers.
The wiki forgets the magma geysers in this list. I don't understand why. So at most you will have 4 swamp, 4 Caustic, 2 Frozen, and 4 Magma. In looking a 16 Biomes (0 to 15) I've found as few as eight geysers, I think, maybe.

Edit, I misunderstood.

I am guessing your seed changed, then one save is from an old update. This last updated did not change seeds but the one before did. I can't find the redit now but I read they changed seeds as Cosmic and a again at Expressive but not for Rocketry or Space. But that was from Redit not from Klie.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lessons learned from this last attempt as I get ready to reset again.
Spoiler:
Day 160 and I think I've finally hit a level where a leap in understanding will change my approach to the game again for another reset. The big leaps this last game were embracing exosuits in the expansion plans (which mean an early move to the refining gold/iron) and a much better understanding of power generation. I'd never come close to panicking about energy generation before, rarely exceeding 70 days and never having the power requirements of my 15 dup stronghold maintenance and expansion. This panic caused me to evaluate my daily consumption and I discovered that 2J is being wasted by my power generators for ever 1J I was consuming. Essentially I was feeding precious dirt to sage hatches (I was running low on dirt) so they could create heat and CO2 pressure. And even though the wiki says sage hatches are more efficient, I'm going to try and not breed them. Hatches, while less efficient, will eat clay all day and I haven't much use for clay at all, but I create it with deoderizers pretty regularly and sand is abundant. Dirt at least for my stage of game is only found in the starting biome and is only produced by compost, something that will be largely unused once I finally embrace plumbing.

Moving forward, I'm going to better space my fort into neat 4x30 partitions, I think with exit choke points and power switched polluters outside my planning zone. I'll check room sizes to be sure.

I think I'm also going to work on harnessing polluted water as a natural resource this next time around.

Other lessons learned. Crude oil might be under pressure and could over run an large amounts of area with no only with crude oil but with scorching heat.
I think I'm finally truly in mid game headed toward end game, which makes me impatient for the next content update to new stuff. :D

I do still have many many many advanced concepts to learn and embrace, mainly around plumbing, moving heat, plastics, energy control, and exactly what automation and logic circuits will be used for. Automation and logic were huge in a game like factorio, as of right now I'm not seeing it in ONI, but then I haven't really go to a place where I understand how utilizing it can make my home better.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Keep in mind that smart batteries are your best friend for power conservation.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

That was something I only learned when I was trying to understand a more reasonable to power such a small area, wondering how 16-24 hatches shitting goal was completely failing to keep up with my modest needs. I never noticed how much power I was wasting until I was faced with no reasonable way move forward with power medium term. Smart batteries and over storing power rather over producing it (which I didn't even know I was doing) That was my huge take away from this last set up before this next set up...
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I think I had too many smart batteries last time. At first my single coal generator would fill 11 smart batteries from 5% to avoid runoff from the generator itself.

When quit out and reset two generators were barely charging those 11 smart batteries with no runoff from generators but the batteries were bleeding about 4KJ per day. In hindsight I should have experimenting with disabling some of the batteries.

What went wrong this time? Thinking I had a handle on Exosuits. I didn't build a good oxygen rich enviornment, relying on deoxydizers but O2 pump just could not charge the exosuits and the O2 pump exosuit combo were ruinous to my power consumption. Ultimately the coal my dups needed to gather was too far away and my genrators kept dying, even setting a coal gathering to 9. I built an alternate exit san exosuit, which not only proved to be a pain but the slimel(lung) generating my O2 that I needed to cross was too much for my dups to handle without the exosuits I learned to rely on.

And so new lessons learned: Plan for a non exosuit egress and lock it off. Alternate between exosuit and non exosuit egress as necessary (when you plan to move temperature extreme, O2 absent, or slimelung filled areas when your dups are getting susceptible ) Seal of your O2 supply for the exosuits and use some sort of stable O2 production in that sealed room.

I was up to 16 dups when it all fell apart around cycle 200, I think. This time around I'm going in with the idea of waiting until it feels like I need new dups to fill in emerging gaps in daily needs and then I'll still wait and be picky. Currently I'm about 40 cycles in and still am on my original 3 dups.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

There's no point in multiple smart batteries per circuit. They just duplicate, they don't help.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lorini wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:00 pm There's no point in multiple smart batteries per circuit. They just duplicate, they don't help.
That doesn't make sense to me. I may have to look up smart batteries to understand what you are saying.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

All smart batteries really do is to tell the power generator when to generate power. You can have the smart batteries store power but there’s no real point to do so. Without smart batteries power generators will always generate power, leading to a lot of waste.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lorini wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:18 am All smart batteries really do is to tell the power generator when to generate power. You can have the smart batteries store power but there’s no real point to do so. Without smart batteries power generators will always generate power, leading to a lot of waste.
Ah. I've never reached to a point where I built a circuit that advanced.

When I get to hydrogen generators they're always on, but that is OK because they never produced much power. I can pretty much take what they throw at me. The coal generator OtOH, produces a shitton of power in a short time but if it has nowhere to go, it's just a waste of coal to produce heat and CO2.

I moved to smart batteries not because I ever got to the point that I could build a good smart grid (I think have an operator classed high enough was my flaw there. I don't remember) but because their waste is a lot lower than regular batteries.

Looking up now as I never knew the numbers
Effects
Power capacity: 20 kJ
Power runoff: 400 J/cycle
Effects
Power capacity: 40 kJ
Power runoff: 2 kJ/cycle
Yeah, even though I haven't yet gotten to the advanced power management learning curve yet, it still makes sense to store all that power in smart batteries. But it really really really doesn't make sense to keep powering them as I grow my power needs. I need to learn to actively manage them in an ongoing fashion. My new understanding shows 11 batteries were consuming 4.4kJ per cycle even though they were barely charging. This was necessary storage when I had very little power consumers if I wanted to store everything the coal generator was putting out.
The Coal Generator needs to be periodically supplied with Coal to work. It will operate until it runs out of Coal. It can be configured to be refueled only when the stored energy level in connected batteries drops below a set percentage. The generator can hold 500 Kg of coal and can therefore generate 300 kJ of energy before being refilled, enough to charge 7.5 batteries.
...or 15 smart batteries if you aren't consuming while it's producing.... only those 15 batteries will also be running power off...

I'll eventually get to smart battery logic but it's not yet on the docket as I think I find myself resetting with a few new "Ah Ha's!" before I get to the point where it becomes viable.

My hope for this run through is to viable long enough to learn more advanced methods of slime management.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Well attaching a smart battery to your coal generators is basically the best upgrade you can make in the early game. I do not understand why you want to attach more than one however, that just makes something that is simple, complicated.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lorini wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:57 pm Well attaching a smart battery to your coal generators is basically the best upgrade you can make in the early game. I do not understand why you want to attach more than one however, that just makes something that is simple, complicated.
Even when I set the smart battery, it did not turn the coal generator off. Maybe I got lost in the red notice that I was not utilizing a logic circuit and misunderstood the way the battery was functioning. I'll experiment to see if I was missing something key when I get that far along in my current incarnation. I'm only slowly running three dups right now and their needs are small, so I am still just using the hamster wheel solely to power research and one algae to O2 machine and that's fine for the foreseeable future. I'm still sitting on 30k in unspoilable food with muckfruit readily gatherable in the wild, so I'm just slowly building out a network to harvest more mushrooms in their natural cycles and expanding infrastructure when my dups show signs of slimelung. If I get to the point where my gathering starts to spoil, I'll move on to cooking and cooling and then I'll want to experiment with coal again... after I've got means to refined metal again...
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

It doesn't turn it 'off', the coal generator just stops using coal unless you set the battery to max, and then it should still only occasionally use coal. Test your coal usage with a smart battery and without one, you'll see a big difference (unless again you keep attaching more batteries at max). You do have the automation wire set from the smart battery to the coal generator(s) right?
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lorini wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:26 pm You do have the automation wire set from the smart battery to the coal generator(s) right?
That's what I'm talking about. That option wasn't there, I want to say it was because I didn't hit the second level of the operator job path but it may have been a research option that hadn't been unlocked. If that is a prerequisite then that's the advanced power stuff I haven't gotten to yet and may or may not make their way to the top of things to learn and utilize this next run through. I tend to try and get to ideas. Better power management is definitely toward the top but even higher than that is better O2/slime management, which is where I'm hoping to throw my focus when I get far enough.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

You can't get to the smart battery without first researching the automation wire, which is what is needed to make the smart battery smart. You attach the wire to the smart battery and then to the generators you are using on a single circuit.

Slime is not that lethal and it doesn’t really spread significantly. They’ll get slimelung germs on (in?) them, but their bodies get rid of some over time (click a dupe and check the Germs tab for numbers). It takes a little while for their immunity to start falling, and a little while longer for it to get to zero, at which point they get sick and have to use a med bed for a while.

You can store slime outside of your colony or in a container that’s under water to contain the slimelung germs or in chlorine I think.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm not sure where the automation wire was lost before but using it has made a huge difference.

My current incarnation has seen me accidentally dig in to outer space. That's the first time I've ever dug that far up.

So I'm back to the atmosuit phase but I have it under much better control and have fewer dups. So next up is learning to harvest slime into algae and then farming the polluted water for PO2.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Found the base of operations up top, though I have build the infrastructure to connect to it.

Set up my first algae converter.... That was easier than I thought ti would be. Not sure how the pace will translate and I'm also not convinced that the conversion rate from slime to oxygen is worth while, even if I can better place the O2 than by just letting the slime decompose to PO2 and then use sand to clean it. I couldn't find side by side conversion charts but jumping from site to site, my brain came to the conclusion that Slime to PO2 to O2 produced more oxygen than did Slime to Algae to O2 (even with the plants) combined with slime to polluted water to PO2 to O2.

I'm running 7 dups about 200 cycles I'm to the point where 7 dups spend most of their daily effort is spent on maintenance. So I'm waiting for the next great dup to expand to 8. I think 7 is the extent at which I can live off the land as is at this point, so it's time to start ranching or farming. I'll probably start with ranching as I have shitton of clay to feed hatches, and will eventually need the coal. Only ranching for meat is slow (no plastic for incubators) and I haven't really learned how to farm eggs efficiently. At the same time, dirt seems like one of the exceptionally finite resources, so I don't want to over commit to farming and using all that dirt (or worry about slime in the case of mushrooms)

It's probable I'll give this a lot of time over the Turkey Day break and may hit burn out until the next release... Or I may finally try to put together a workable plumbing system for showers and running water... I'm still shying from it since it first chased me away from the game and being grimy hasn't held my dups back on my easy play.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

May 28th

Also some nice improvements in the latest patch including a complete revamp of the disease mechanics.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I'm looking forward to the actual release, they are going to add more biomes at the least.
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

This is officially out in a couple of days on the 30th. Looks like they're adding some new features for release like different starting asteroids you can kind of preview by using the launch beta branch.

Looking forward to failing to get even more bases to self sufficiency once it's out. :P
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Sepiche wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:50 pm This is officially out in a couple of days on the 30th. Looks like they're adding some new features for release like different starting asteroids you can kind of preview by using the launch beta branch.

Looking forward to failing to get even more bases to self sufficiency once it's out. :P
I'll probably get it, I've been following the development but didn't want to burn out on Early Access.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:54 pm
Sepiche wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:50 pm This is officially out in a couple of days on the 30th. Looks like they're adding some new features for release like different starting asteroids you can kind of preview by using the launch beta branch.

I'll probably get it, I've been following the development but didn't want to burn out on Early Access.
I have 1000 hours plus in the game in EA but I'll probably never play it again. It's just become too much like work now.
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Officially out now. Looking forward to diving into the 1.0 version tonight a bit and trying out some of the new asteroids/biomes. Looks like there's at least 2 completely new biomes in the final release complete with new materials, flora, and fauna.

Can't wait to see LM get an "uninhabitable" asteroid up to cycle 500 while I struggle to get the beginner asteroid past cycle 200. :)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sepiche wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:28 pm Officially out now. Looking forward to diving into the 1.0 version tonight a bit and trying out some of the new asteroids/biomes. Looks like there's at least 2 completely new biomes in the final release complete with new materials, flora, and fauna.

Can't wait to see LM get an "uninhabitable" asteroid up to cycle 500 while I struggle to get the beginner asteroid past cycle 200. :)
Oh, I doubt that. You are da'man when it comes to these styles of games and I will probably spend three days re-learning how make pumps work, screaming at my screen the whole time.

I don't think I ever got to the point where I didn't feel I was fighting a losing a battle against keeping the base powered while concurrently generating more O2 than I was consuming and feeding and cleaning my colony and...

Every time I picked the game I did get a feeling of accomplishment though. More or less maintenanceless showers was my last big learn implementation and it felt good. I needed the Internet to teach it to me though.

If we're at official release, I think it's time to pick it up again and maybe this time finally get one of the cold generators to work well enough to keep itself from melting the surrounding area and turning itself off. (That was my last hurdle before turning the game off. I found and ran a good coldzlyzer, whatever it called, (neutron something?) and kept if fed but I couldn't get it running cold enough to keep the surrounding area from melting and then the machine would lock form water overflow.)

And now that you got me typing I want to see what the release state looks like. It's been a good six months.

I don't know the state of the game now, but when last I played my only way to any sort of longevity was patiently waiting for exceptionally good dups. Even in my note below I see that I had 7 Dups at cycle 200. It wasn't for lack of wanting more dups, it was because I had very high standards (almost always around ability to learn more with no real down side) and that pickiness applied to my starting three as well.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Release notes:
https://forums.kleientertainment.com/ga ... 6355-r847/
Spoiler:
Change List:
New Things

New Buildings

Gas Range
Desalinator
Ethanol Distiller
Rust Deoxidizer
Wood Burner
Airborne Critter Bait
Great Monument Base, Midsection, and Top
Duplicant Motion Sensor
Park Sign
New Critters

Pokeshell
Pip
New Plants

Arbor Tree
Dasha Saltvine
Oxyfern
Waterweed
Hexalent
New Locomotion, Power, Morale, Insulation, and Digging Tutorial animations

New asteroids to colonize

Asteroid select screen
9 asteroid variants
Additional start type: Forest
World "Traits" to add variety to each world
New Game Options screen
New foods

Tofu
Spicy Tofu
Pacu Fillet
Cooked Fish
Mushroom Wrap
Surf’n’Turf
Frost Burger
Table Salt for improving foods
New Biomes

Tide Pools
Rust
Forest
New Colony Initiatives and Imperatives

Imperatives are "big goals" for the colony
Initiatives are optional goals and checkpoints
Colony Summary Screen
New Space Destinations

New Salt Water Geyser

New Park and Nature Reserve room types

Fixes and Changes

Buildings

Increased mass of the Ice Maker.
Ice Maker now deletes 20% of the heat from water instead of almost all of it.
Ice Maker now holds up to 5 loads of ice in storage & shows that on the ice meter in the bottom.
Increased mass of Ice-E Fan.
Ice-E Fan now cools down itself and the surrounding area.
Fixed newly produced ice not being fetchable from the Ice Maker.
Insulate the Pitcher Pump's storage to prevent the elements from incorrectly cooling or heating the area around the pump.
Auto bottle setting for Bottle Emptier can now be copied.
Updated animations for the Disease Clinic.
Add sounds for Ice Maker.
Fixed obsolete recipes not being removed on load.
Fixed Steam Turbine rapidly multiplying any germs it consumes.
Fixed a crash that can occur when switching construction materials.
Conveyor Loaders will dispense items in a round-robin manner, to ensure they dispense all materials they contain and not just the first one.
Fixed Conveyor Rails repositioning items after they have exited the conveyor system.
Update Sick Bay sounds.
Update Wash Basin sounds.
Critter trap is no longer flooded underwater.
Add recipe to the Rock Granulator to crush Crab Molt into Lime.
Fixed a Rocket crash because of a missing scaffolding or Gantry.
Fixed Egg Incubator always resetting to continuous on load.
Softened Lead and Abyssalite elements.
Hardened Obsidian element.
Buildings once again show effects for taking damage or being broken.
Petroleum Generator no longer requires Plastic to build.
Fabrication building order queuing has been overhauled, they should no longer become stuck or stop processing orders.
Fabrication buildings will now only display a "next order" once all ingredients for the next recipe have been delivered.
Fabrication buildings will automatically drop any materials that are not required for currently queued recipes.
Fabrication buildings should grant the correct experience type.
Optimize updates for the Auto Sweeper.
Fixed disabled or unpowered tube entrances being usable after loading a save game.
Mechanized Airlocks no longer complain about being flooded when open underwater.
Solid doors allow liquid to flow in first when opened underwater.
Add sounds to new Incubator animation states.
Updated Hydrogen, Petroleum and Steam Rocket Engines launch animations.
Fixed gaps when dragging to build a long row of tiles, wire, pipes.
Planets now have limited/renewing resource mass. Space Missions to Planets will only return the available resources.
Space Missions to Planets with insufficient available resources will warn before launching.
Deprecated the Jobs Board.
Fixed a bug where canceling a building didn’t clear the dig orders it created.
Atmosuits can now be made out of more metals (Copper, Aluminum, or Iron) -- but it must be refined (as suits their tech level).
Icemaker no longer attempts to freeze amounts of water under 100g.
Fixed crash when cancelling a fabrication order at the same time that it is completed by a Duplicant.
Fabricator buildings now have a status item if they have no queued recipes.
Table Salt can be delivered to the Mess Table.
Fixed for crash in the farm plot seed selection screen.
Balance and consistency pass on many buildings’ material output temperatures.
Allow manual dumping of ice from Ice Maker.
Fabricator buildings will resume progress if interrupted, or after a save/load.
Fabrication buildings start their next order immediately on finishing the last one, which will help avoid Dupes switching tasks unnecessarily.
Visible salt shaker added to the Mess Table.
Fixed a bug where Planter Boxes being destroyed for certain reasons wouldn’t properly destroy the plants in them.
The Airborne Critter Lure has been deprecated.
Fixed crash when fabricator buildings completed a recipe at the same time the building became inoperational.
Automation gate artwork updated to reflect green/red signals.
Fixed crash when modding the Algae Terrarium.
Aero Pot now has positive decor.
Element Logic Sensors and Conduit Filters save/load correctly. The last selection on a filter doesn't get applied to newly built sensors.
Filters can be set to "none" and that is their default setting.
Partial improvements to the filter sidescreen when the filter outputs "logic" instead of outputting a filtered element.
Virtual Planetarium sounds added.
Changed the way replacement tiles are drawn so they’re easier to see on top of other tiles.
Duplicants

Fixed hats not displaying when using the Sick Bay.
Equipped items no longer get burned up in the lower left corner of the map.
Removed dead Duplicants from the Skills screen.
Fixed Duplicants passing through deconstructed doors.
Song no longer plays when a Duplicant gains a new skill point.
Removed grimy status effect. Duplicants will still try to shower each day to gain the Morale benefits.
Add sounds for Ice Maker.
Duplicants work 15% faster when working in a lit space.
Fixed Dupes eating or sleeping underwater.
Dupes will try to avoid lit areas when sleeping on the floor.
Add Skill upgrade fx.
Fixed Dupes eating or sleeping on the same tile as another Dupe.
Loud Sleepers sleep too deeply to be bothered by light while they sleep.
Hunger status item now shows the food the creature is looking for.
Duplicants' sleep is disturbed by sleeping it a lit space.
Fixed Duplicants being able to pass through horizontally placed doors if there is an empty space between the door and the tile/ladder/pole below.
Fixed Dupes getting stuck rapidly switching between destinations when trying to recover breath.
Switch position of Traits and Interests boxes in the Duplicant Bio.
Fixed underwater Dupes preferring to slowly climb up a pole instead of taking a ladder right next to that pole.
Underwater path cost penalty is now a multiplier instead of a fixed value. Keeps underwater pathing costs proportionally correct to each other.
Interests now provide +1, +3, or +7 to the relevant attribute based on whether a Duplicant has 3, 2, or 1 Interest.
Filter rolled Duplicants by attribute types.
MedicalAid skill group now has Caring as a relevant attribute.
Interests in Hauling, Tidying, and Supplying now provide Strength boost rather than Athletics boost.
Modify conditions on when Dupes will flee after getting attacked.
Duplicants more aggressively teleport out of entombment situations.
Learning an Interested Skill gives a Duplicant +1 Morale rather than -1 Morale Expectation.
Improve Skills screen tooltips. Now gives a specific reasons why Duplicants can not learn skills.
Morale and morale expectation tooltip is now sorted.
Add Super Hard Dig Skill to mine Diamond and Obsidian.
Dupes now upgrade their skills at the HQ.
Add compound and medical supply chore types in the care prioritization category.
Using the Apothecary is now a compound chore.
Supplying the Apothecary, or the Sick Bay is now a medical supply chore.
Remove unused chore tags.
Egg Cracker operation and fetch are now cooking chores.
Optimize check for top priority chore.
Rename the tier 3 digging skill and description
Remove Dupe germ status item on death
Fixed Dupes can get stuck in a falling loop if they are inside of a door
Fixed oil floaters can get stuck in a falling loop if they are inside of a door
Jet Suits now store all of the Duplicant’s waste and release it at the dock, just like Atmo Suits
Duplicants will put on a Jet/Atmo suit even if it’s only 95% charged
Fixed issue where nearby chores of different types could keep each other from being completed
Food

Balance pass of most foods
Added new foods: Fish Meat, Cooked Fish Meat, Surf n Turf, Burger
Barbeque no longer requires Spicenut
“Soul Food’ effect moved to Frost Burger
Lore

Extensive revisions and updates to the Log files etc. in the Database
Renamed one of the characters in the Log files
Added a new space destination to discover
UI

Colony requires a food source tutorial message opens the Food build menu when clicked.
Flip the Care Packages custom game setting so that checked is Duplicants and Care Packages.
New video widget with automatic thumbnail and video playback. Used in notifications.
Delay HUD click sounds replaying within 50ms.
Reduce volume of some UI sounds.
Change Research Screen layout to be more tree-focused, with larger images.
Move Power Shutoff to Advanced Power Regulation research entry.
Update Audio, Graphics and Metrics options screen.
Remove references to defunct Job titles.
Update Confirmation dialog, Credits screen, Info Dialog, and Pause screen.
Update Custom Game Settings screen.
Agriculture type ores now show up in the materials overlay under cultivatable soil.
Add Rockerty research tree branch.
Fixed no selected hat on Skills screen.
New Skill Badges for the Skill tree.
Update Duplicant Select screen.
Clearable status items refresh while paused, and more frequently.
The Priorities screen uses Strength to determine skill level in Hauling, Tidying, and Supply chore groups.
Optimize Power, Plumbing and Ventilation overlay rendering.
Fixed Building lists not scrolling correctly.
Building cancel user menu button now has an icon.
Add missing Cook errand icon.
Player can modify the Duplicant Shuffle button to shuffle specific archetypes of Dupes, specifically locking in one interest at a time while rerolling all other stats.
Update World Generation screen.
Mode Select screen Duplicants are the same now.
Add tooltip for "Cannot do task" short description on Dupe Select screen, explaining what that task is.
Iron Gut no longer references Diarrhea.
Update Codex unlocks.
Items marked for sweep now have different colors depending on whether there is an available storage container to store them.
Neutral status items are now a neutral color instead of the warning red.
Various tooltip improvements.
Various string updates.
Care Package will show multiple entities if you're getting multiple entities.
Reset the camera position back to the portal when loading a saved game that had the camera panned outside the discovered visible area of the base.
Care Package shows amount you currently have in your colony.
Turned Cinema Cam back on. Press C in screenshot mode to enable.
Screenshot Mode now display the camera mode.
Remove references to Ranchers.
Further changes to the work/life balance UI.
Research screen hides details screen while open to improve performance.
Don't display a blank tiny box when trying to display a blank tooltip.
Changed "Development Build" to just "Build" in the version watermark.
Navigation keys can be used to scroll research screen
Kelvin is no longer displayed as °K, just K
Rooms requirements and effects are separated in the overlay legend
Ambient audio fixed on the crew selection screen
Removing all references to building "meltdowns" as this mechanic hasn’t existed for a looooong time
Added colony summary button to reports screen
Added zoom buttons to the research screen
Fixed some ambient sounds in the main menu
Sink/sanitizer/ore scrubber outputs display in the "Effects" not "Requirements" info.
More accurate tooltips for energy generators.
Fixed issue causing missing tooltips and incorrect cursors on build menu buttons.
Make the formatting of building heat output more consistent.
Details window will try to keep the previous tab open if it applies to the newly selected object. It will reset when no object is selected.
Reorganization of the management menu buttons at the top of the screen. Schedule is now part of those buttons.
Building errand panel correctly shows Duplicant task ordering
Added new Database entries for many of the high-level concepts in the game, such as temperature or power.
Many previously-untranslatable strings have been fixed
Added a space to a string somewhere
Added the broken planet to the starmap screen
Tootip for things in the game world has been made darker to make it easier to read when the background is busy Automation signals have been renamed from Active and Standby to Green and Red, gates and sensor descriptions have been rewritten to be more clear in this new system. Fixed Requires Gas Output tooltip
Category pages in the Database now display options in a grid
Automation circuits that trigger large amounts of changes simultaneously are much less loud now.
Room types show in the correct order in the Rooms overlay legend
Fixed an issue where the "No Sick Bays" message would appear when the base clearly had sick bays built.
Status items don’t play a click noise unless there’s actually something clickable about them
Added icons representing the Errand Type to the Duplicant Todo list and the building errands tab
UI Scale slider now doesn’t apply until the mouse is released
Critters and Plants

Fixed crash if Shove Vole attempts to poop off the edge of the world.
Add Sporechid sounds.
Improve the way the decor plants config and apply their decor.
Decrease Buddy Bud decor because it has pollen.
Increase Sporechid decor.
Fixed Hatch wakeup and sleep sounds playing multiple times.
Add trapped animation to baby Hatch.
Fixed Pacu's flopping through closed vertical pneumatic doors.
Wheezewort is no longer a decor plant and requires fertilizer.
Fixed Pacu crossing gaps by flopping across open air.
Add Tamed tag to Shov Vole and baby Shov Vole.
Add Tamed tag and Grooming animations to Gassy Moo.
Add trussed and escape animations to Shov Vole and baby Shov Vole.
Fixed climbing critters being rotated in traps.
Bean plants now require cooler temperatures.
Bean plants now require Carbon Dioxide atmospheres.
Minor optimization in Creature Calorie Monitor.
Irrigation requirements no longer show as complete when a plant is wild.
Requirements panel now shows for all plants with wilt conditions.
Wild and Domestic requirements now show for all plants.
Wheezewort and Oxy Fern message that they are more efficient when planted domestically.
Decor plants no longer show detailed stats.
Add drowning state to baby critters.
Flying and Hovering critters will try to navigate out of drowning.
Add swim animations to Gassy Moo, Puft and Slickster.
Flying and hovering critters use swim animation while moving underwater.
Drowning makes critters unhappy.
Pacus drop Pacu Fillet instead of regular meat
Fixed crash when Shinebugs are lured
Increased the food->poop efficiency of the 3 main pufts to 95%
Increased the eating rate of all pufts
Puft Princes can now eat all 3 puft atmosphere types.
Fixed for crash when Dupe attempts to wrangle a creature at the same time it dies
All flying critters diets are represented on the lure now
Tooltips for Dreckos and other critters that eat plants directly are more clear
Balm Lily flower is now compostable
Ore and World

Compostables can now be stored
Updated element descriptions
Water, Saltwater, and Brine now have different densities so they will sort out
Balance pass on geysers to boost the minimal geysers somewhat, and reducing the rate of the Slush geyser
Min/max ranges of all geysers have been tightened to reduce variability between instances of the same geyser.
Added a saltwater geyser
Sickness

Update Duplicants spores expression face.
Add Pollen expression face.
After recovering from Food Sickness, Slime Sickness, or Zombie Sickness Dupes will not catch the same sickness again for a short time.
Dupes won't become exposed to a given germ more than once per cycle.
Add fx when Dupe is cured of a sickness.
Exposure to digested germs now ramp with the number of germs on the food eaten.
Germ exposure status items can now be clicked to jump to the last exposure position.
Allergies cause less stress.
Rename "The Spores" to Allergies.
Antihistamines are produced 10x per recipe.
Pollen germs spread a little less well in normal base situations.
Germ dieoff actually displays as germ death, instead of growth.
Duplicants should no longer be exposed to Slimelung merely by passing through a wandering pocket of germs.
Duplicants must inhale germs for several consecutive seconds before becoming exposed.
Add sickness cured effect.
Germ exposure allows for multiple tiers of exposure.
Stretched Germ Resistance range for readability.
Fixed how the exposure tiers work in germ exposure monitor.
Improve messaging of the germ exposure tooltip.
Add Germ Resistance modifier string to describe how large of an effect it is.
Germs panel on a Duplicant shows more information about what a Duplicant's germ resistance attribute means.
Add a contact with germs status item that simply alerts you if a Duplicant has had contact with a germ type, even if they're not at risk of becoming ill.
Systems

Fixed crash in Mix Manager.
Fixed crash on Debug Paint screen in Korean.
Add Steam achievement support.
Minisongs are a bit quieter so they are less focused during minisong days.
Add crash reporting during world generation.
Fixed a bug with the power diagram that was incorrectly computing the neighbours of a cell.
When a new language is selected, offer the user the option to Restart, displayed in the new language, or Cancel, displayed in the former language.
Switch to fixed geyser count per world.
Fixed Pressure vulnerable safe cells.
Optimize Lights.
Fixed a bug that would occasionally try to set element temperatures to below 0K.
Fixed crash caused by out-of-date custom game settings
Liquid and Gas conduit flow algorithm performance improved.
Liquid and Gas conduit flow is more stable and consistent – no more bouncing packets
Conduit network recalculation and updating is now multithreaded
Items dropped from a storage from the list of stored items can now be picked up
Add Swamp Lily seeds to the care packages
Fixed bug where one kind of gas could be converted into another when moving towards an empty cell
Fixed bug where melting ores could double in mass
Mods

Significant Mod changes, please refer to our upcoming post on the Mod forum.
OniUploader now supports Linux and OSX.
High-rez mod uploader icons.
Make game resilient against missing food types. Mods that introduce a new food type to save games gracefully handle the missing food type when loaded without the mod.
Rename 'pkg' directory to 'mod'.
Added post-build copies to move files into mods folder.
Oni mod project now correctly lands in the dev folder without configuration.
Allow mods to write out their strings template file.
Fixed a bug where a mod that was unsubscribed without the game running would not get uninstalled.
Removed tooltips from the Done and Workshop buttons.
Language will properly revert to the default language if the selected language pack gets uninstalled when the game is not running.
Fixed translation mods to properly report their subscription status.
Stop trying to load preview images for Steam mods once the retry threshold is exceeded.
LordMortis

Re: Oxygen Not Included!

Post by LordMortis »

Did some poking around and felt intimidated by the world trait and different asteroid types and new biomes and new this and new that. I killed my old game and try a few a terra worlds and wasn't happy with my starts. So I found this

https://toolsnotincluded.net/map-tools/map-browser

I can only assume it's been reset since the launch version. I might wait a bit or even contribute and look for an easy start.

(Also the Launch version locks up Steam on exit on my computer and I suspect is full of memory leaks)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I've been contributing to mapping seeds all day while doing other stuff on my day off. Still waiting for a perfectly lazy seed on the basic level to re-introduce myself to the game. My last seed was so perfect, I pretty much want it back. What's horrible is I really don't know what the game is like now. There is so much more and I never even built a rocket when last I played.

But still I want an asteroid with pretty much everything, including a gold volcano that is cooled by its surrounding and slush geyser close enough to my start to have a cooling impact. So far, at 9000 games mapped by crowdsource, that beast does not exist. 39 have gotten pretty close.

These are my search requirements.

eyJydWxlcyI6W3sidmFsdWUiOjIsImNvbXBhcmF0b3IiOiJBdExlYXN0IiwiZ3JvdXBJZCI6MTEsImlkIjoxMSwidHlwZSI6IkdleXNlciIsIm9iamVjdCI6InNsdXNoX3dhdGVyIn0seyJ2YWx1ZSI6MSwiY29tcGFyYXRvciI6IkF0TGVhc3QiLCJvYmplY3QiOiJtb2x0ZW5fZ29sZCIsInR5cGUiOiJHZXlzZXIiLCJncm91cElkIjoyMywiaWQiOjI0fSx7InZhbHVlIjoxLCJjb21wYXJhdG9yIjoiQXRMZWFzdCIsIm9iamVjdCI6ImJpZ192b2xjYW5vIiwidHlwZSI6IkdleXNlciIsImdyb3VwSWQiOjI0LCJpZCI6MjV9LHsidmFsdWUiOjEsImNvbXBhcmF0b3IiOiJBdExlYXN0Iiwib2JqZWN0Ijoic21hbGxfdm9sY2FubyIsInR5cGUiOiJHZXlzZXIiLCJncm91cElkIjoyNCwiaWQiOjI2fSx7InZhbHVlIjoxLCJjb21wYXJhdG9yIjoiQXRMZWFzdCIsIm9iamVjdCI6ImNobG9yaW5lX2dhcyIsInR5cGUiOiJHZXlzZXIiLCJncm91cElkIjoyNSwiaWQiOjI3fSx7InZhbHVlIjoxLCJjb21wYXJhdG9yIjoiQXRMZWFzdCIsIm9iamVjdCI6IkNobG9yaW5lUGxhbmV0IiwidHlwZSI6IlBsYW5ldCIsImdyb3VwSWQiOjI1LCJpZCI6Mjh9LHsidmFsdWUiOjEsImNvbXBhcmF0b3IiOiJBdExlYXN0Iiwib2JqZWN0IjoiaG90X2h5ZHJvZ2VuIiwidHlwZSI6IkdleXNlciIsImdyb3VwSWQiOjI2LCJpZCI6Mjl9LHsidmFsdWUiOjEsImNvbXBhcmF0b3IiOiJBdExlYXN0Iiwib2JqZWN0IjoiR2FzR2lhbnQiLCJ0eXBlIjoiUGxhbmV0IiwiZ3JvdXBJZCI6MjYsImlkIjozMH0seyJ2YWx1ZSI6MSwiY29tcGFyYXRvciI6IkF0TGVhc3QiLCJvYmplY3QiOiJSZWREd2FyZiIsInR5cGUiOiJQbGFuZXQiLCJncm91cElkIjoyNywiaWQiOjMxfSx7InZhbHVlIjoxLCJjb21wYXJhdG9yIjoiQXRMZWFzdCIsIm9iamVjdCI6Im1vbHRlbl9jb3BwZXIiLCJ0eXBlIjoiR2V5c2VyIiwiZ3JvdXBJZCI6MjgsImlkIjozMn0seyJ2YWx1ZSI6MSwiY29tcGFyYXRvciI6IkF0TGVhc3QiLCJvYmplY3QiOiJTYXRlbGxpdGUiLCJ0eXBlIjoiUGxhbmV0IiwiZ3JvdXBJZCI6MjgsImlkIjozM30seyJ2YWx1ZSI6MSwiY29tcGFyYXRvciI6IkF0TGVhc3QiLCJvYmplY3QiOiJNZXRhbGxpY0FzdGVyb2lkIiwidHlwZSI6IlBsYW5ldCIsImdyb3VwSWQiOjI4LCJpZCI6MzR9LHsidmFsdWUiOjEsImNvbXBhcmF0b3IiOiJBdExlYXN0Iiwib2JqZWN0IjoiSWN5RHdhcmYiLCJ0eXBlIjoiUGxhbmV0IiwiZ3JvdXBJZCI6MjksImlkIjozNX1dLCJzZWVkIjpudWxsLCJjb29yZGluYXRlUHJlZml4IjoiU05EU1QtQSJ9

(I have no idea why they need to be so long and weird. I would think she could have written an easier way to define looking for requirements but I'm not a programmer.)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

How frantic is the gameplay of this game? Is it a lot of fast button pushing? Can I pause and do actions? I'm interested but not if I can't keep up :roll:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:09 pm How frantic is the gameplay of this game? Is it a lot of fast button pushing? Can I pause and do actions? I'm interested but not if I can't keep up :roll:
I'm still not playing the launched game. Last November it was not frantic at all. Pausing was absolutely part of my play. You eventually start to build fairly complex and precise architecture. Doing that on the fly would be no fun for me at all. That said, the game will get out of hand. You will mis-calculate and you will work at franticly fixing your mistake for a good long time after you make it, even as you pause to re calibrate again and again. If you are like me, you will get annoyed at your own failure and call it a learning lesson and start another game.

It's another game in another direction from the Dwarf Fortress style of builder games but for my frame of reference, it's unique enough to hold my interest.

Unlike most DF style builders there is no combat. It is only a test to see how long you can keep your colony alive from the resources allotted to you. Can you make use of them long enough to hit a next plateau, introducing new solutions... and problems...
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

OK, trigger pulled. I kind of like the idea of the engineering challenge without the combat.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:00 pm OK, trigger pulled. I kind of like the idea of the engineering challenge without the combat.
There’s nothing frantic about the released game. Just keep an eye on heat.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I settled on my start.

SNDST-A-1710455492-9G

I think this will be sufficiently relaxed to learn the new version of the game... I hope...
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

How do I keep water from accumulating on the floors? I've tried pumps but no luck. Do I just use the mesh tiles and let it flow through?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:16 am How do I keep water from accumulating on the floors? I've tried pumps but no luck. Do I just use the mesh tiles and let it flow through?
Water will find it's level. When there is too little to pump then it must be mopped with the mop action.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:16 am How do I keep water from accumulating on the floors? I've tried pumps but no luck. Do I just use the mesh tiles and let it flow through?
Depending on your goal (if you have one :) ) water can run out if you are not careful so figure out why you are getting water on the floors and fix that ASAP. You want to build reservoirs to keep your water where you want. Also note the temperature of the water pouring into your reservoirs, water is a source of heat if you aren't paying attention and some food/plants can't tolerate hot (or very cold) water.
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I started my first new colony on the cold asteroid thinking that might be a good way to counteract my usual problems with heat buildup... turns out growing food gets very tricky when the asteroids background temperature is below freezing. :P I had a fairly good start and got about 30 cycles in, but I expanded too quickly and out expanded my ability to build new farms and was headed toward a food crisis, so I started a second game.

So far the second game is going better. I still wanted to try one of the new asteroids, so this time I went with one that's supposed to be filled with a salt water ocean. So far it's basically the same as the default asteroid, but I can already see some salt sea biomes above me. I'm hoping I can eventually turn that to an advantage by desalinating the salt water, but ONI being ONI, I'm sure there's a downside to that I'll be dealing with at some point.

Overall I'm liking all the little changes in the release version. The skill point/leveling system for the duplicants is much improved, keeping the duplicants happy is pretty straight forward now, lots of nice little changes on the whole.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I went for the easy asteroid and so far the easy asteroid is easy. I'm taking the laid back approach. Between the printer and the sheer abundance of muckroot cultivating food won't be a problem for a very long time. The world generation is much more chaotic than it used to be so planning nice clean expansion is harder. Also skills are way different so getting a miner capable of excavating the way I want is going to take time. I need a superduperduper or whatever miner and I have no idea how long that will take nor if what the morale requirements will be like.

So far on casual mode with easy cherry picked asteroid I'm enjoying learning what's new.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:41 pm I went for the easy asteroid and so far the easy asteroid is easy. I'm taking the laid back approach. Between the printer and the sheer abundance of muckroot cultivating food won't be a problem for a very long time. The world generation is much more chaotic than it used to be so planning nice clean expansion is harder. Also skills are way different so getting a miner capable of excavating the way I want is going to take time. I need a superduperduper or whatever miner and I have no idea how long that will take nor if what the morale requirements will be like.

So far on casual mode with easy cherry picked asteroid I'm enjoying learning what's new.
I'm also doing easy and and casual and stayed up way later than usual to keep playing :D

As a retired engineer, I like the concept of dealing with continual engineering challenges. So far I'm liking it more than Rimworld.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Hmm, am I missing something with gas behavior? Is it possible to run a gas pipe through a wall without letting the gas on the other side seep back into the first room? I think I'm thinking too much about real world physics and not getting into the physics of the ONI world.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:15 pm Hmm, am I missing something with gas behavior? Is it possible to run a gas pipe through a wall without letting the gas on the other side seep back into the first room? I think I'm thinking too much about real world physics and not getting into the physics of the ONI world.
It's not only possible, it's absolutely necessary for a lot of things you are going to want to do, like if you start separating water to pull the hydrogen one way and the oxygen another or to concentrate a gas. The game is really about learning how to move gas, liquid, and heat.

You need a combo of pipe pump and vent. Usually you also have something to sieve gases unless all you are trying to do is create a vacuum.

Moving heat is the thing I've got a long way to go to understand and it looks like they killed the wheezewort that was a primary heat sink for me in the past. Rather than living off air, it requires phosphorous.

It looks like slush geyesers are now the most powerful force in the universe... or at least they are for those who are adept moving heat.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Thanks for the help :wub:

I've put in ten hours on my first colony and I'm going to do something I normally don't do in these kind of games. Instead of staying with my first colony until I completely burn out, I'm going to start a new one and this time proceed more slowly and try to understand the areas I just glossed over like diets, work schedules and air flow, just to name a few. I'm completely at a loss when it comes to things like wrangling critters, but I was so caught up with everything else I just didn't bother. So maybe some more playing tomorrow.