Frostpunk anyone? City survival builder

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Frostpunk anyone? City survival builder

Post by Daehawk »

http://www.frostpunkgame.com/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/323190/Frostpunk/
Frostpunk is the first game of society survival. In an ultimately frozen world, people develop steam-powered technology to oppose the overwhelming cold. The city ruler has to manage both the inhabitants and the infrastracture the citizens live in.
Last edited by Daehawk on Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Sepiche

Re: Frostpunk anyone? City builder

Post by Sepiche »

Had my eye on this one for a while and looking forward to it coming out.

Good look at how it plays (with a few spoilers) here.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Same team that did "This War of Mine" so it ought to be pretty good, I think.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Grifman wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:43 pm Same team that did "This War of Mine" so it ought to be pretty good, I think.
Certainly true, since the the Victorian Steampunk Age of Empires-like RTS vibe in that previous offering was pretty strong.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
tgb

Re: Frostpunk anyone? City survival builder

Post by tgb »

Looks good. Too bad is releases the same day as Battletech.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

First glimpse of tech tree looks awesome.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

tgb wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:18 am Looks good. Too bad is releases the same day as Battletech.
You're alive! Grats.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Apparently (insert word)-punk is being used for all sorts of things now. Just the other day, I came across "silkpunk", apparently "Ancient China with tech" is a thing.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

I don't normally excel at city builders but this one looks like fun. I wonder how this would compare to a game like They Are Billions for me.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Wow. Got it, love it, get it.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im hearing good things on it.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jolor wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:07 pm Wow. Got it, love it, get it.
But I just started Tropico 5!

Yeah, I'm always a few years behind. I'll get to this one when it's $8.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Kraken wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:30 pm
Jolor wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:07 pm Wow. Got it, love it, get it.
But I just started Tropico 5!

Yeah, I'm always a few years behind. I'll get to this one when it's $8.
I think these days I'm a few years behind you. I'll get it when it is $4.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Kraken wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:30 pm But I just started Tropico 5!
But wouldn't you rather spend time in a frozen wasteland than a tropical island?
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Played much more of this than I expected I would given Battletech coming out at the same time.

My current game is just shy of the seemingly final set of missions, but I'm not sure I'll be able to finish them in time to survive. Definitely have a few things I will do different next time that I think will ensure victory for me.

On the whole it's an excellent little city builder. Seems like it might be a little on the short side, and I'm not sure what kind of legs it will have, as the unexpected is part of the fun of the initial run, but really enjoying it still.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Finally started a new game of this with the lessons of my first few games well in hand, and it's going much better now. Only about 12 days in, but my city is already just as built up or perhaps more so than my previous city was after 30 days.

Keeping workplaces warm to avoid floods of sick people helps a lot as well as keeping food production well above what's required and getting multiple workshops up and running asap to get research sooner.

I also went with faith this time instead of order, and maybe it's just me, but it seems like it was easier to get hope up using it than it was with order.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Quick info....Frostpunk is 25% off on Fanatical Games site.

$22.49 . Its a flash sale and only 19 hours left as of this post.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

naednek

Post by naednek »

Daehawk wrote:$19.17 on Greenman
16.xx at cdkeys.com

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Sepiche wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:29 am Finally started a new game of this with the lessons of my first few games well in hand, and it's going much better now. Only about 12 days in, but my city is already just as built up or perhaps more so than my previous city was after 30 days.

Keeping workplaces warm to avoid floods of sick people helps a lot as well as keeping food production well above what's required and getting multiple workshops up and running asap to get research sooner.

I also went with faith this time instead of order, and maybe it's just me, but it seems like it was easier to get hope up using it than it was with order.
I needed a palette cleanser after binging on Odyssey this weekend, so I started a new game of this.

In the attempt above I thought I was in great shape until the storm got close and I realized I had nowhere close to the resource production I needed to survive, so this new game was yet another attempt to apply lessons learned.

Still need to do the final riding out of the storm, but this time around it should be no problem at all.

I mentioned in the above attempt that my city was stronger on day 12 than my previous city was on day 30, and the same thing seems to apply here... my third city was in much better shape on day 10 than my second city was on day 30.

My main improvements were:
1) Grouped all my houses around the central hub with only room for guard posts
2) Focused MUCH more on getting multiple workshops up and running early. They are cheap and you start with lots of engineers, so this is a big boost
3) Used gathering huts early on instead of just assigning people to the resource piles. That leads to many fewer cases of illness early on
4) Broke down the first automaton you find to use his steam core for an early coal mine
5) Once things were stable I just focused on: exploration, getting automatons on all my outer resource buildings, and stockpiling resources

Now instead of a couple days worth of food going into the stockpile phase before the storm, I already had about 3000 rations, and another 6000 raw food stored, not to mention everything was upgraded to housing long ago with plenty of spare room for more refugees.

The key factor though is: research, research, research. Getting up the tech tree faster is a massive boost in every way. The other factor is getting an outpost setup in Tesla City as soon as humanly possible for the steam cores. You have to disable the trap at the door before you can build an outpost, and it's a random chance of each scout party disabling the trap or being killed, so it can be a good idea to either send multiple scout parties in case one fails, or save scum a bit to disable the trap on the first go.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

What's the final word? As a survival city builder is it gonna be worth $18 and my time? Right now I'm still pretty happy with RimWorld.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:53 am What's the final word? As a survival city builder is it gonna be worth $18 and my time? Right now I'm still pretty happy with RimWorld.
Also wondering if anyone has tried the Console version released this week?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I would recommend it if you like difficult survival games like Banished.

A couple caveats:

The tutorial is vague and doesn’t explain the basics very well.
The first time you play I almost guarantee you will fail and need to restart.
I thought the moral dilemmas were interesting, but I can see why they would rub some people the wrong way. Being nice to your people is a good way for them all to end up dead.
The last couple hours of the campaign are brutal and stressful enough that while I am glad, I stuck with it, I doubt I will ever go back to it.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Pyperkub wrote:
LordMortis wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:53 am What's the final word? As a survival city builder is it gonna be worth $18 and my time? Right now I'm still pretty happy with RimWorld.
Thread resurrection, yes and yes, and if you have game pass its free right now.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I've been playing this more lately with the release of the Last Autumn expansion, and I'd say it's one of my favorite city builders with one big caveat.

It's very well balanced, has a great theme that combines seamlessly with the mechanics, and the various scenarios do a good job of forcing you to take different approaches to survival.

I'd say it's biggest flaw as a game is that it's really balanced around relatively short 30 day games and honestly gets boring fairly fast in endless mode where you have less of the scripted events to carry things along, as once you get good at the game it's pretty easy to have a nearly unstoppable economic base to survive further storms after 30 days.

That said, it's very worth it for the enjoyment of playing through all the scenarios a few times, and the new Last Autumn scenario does a great job of taking the existing formula, tweaking it a little, and creating an interesting new experience.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Combustible Lemur wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:20 pm
Pyperkub wrote:

Fired this up on the xBonex this weekend and lasted about 14 days on the first scenario. A huge issue for me in my first game was that the resource icons were a bit difficult to discern and there was no help/info that I could find to know what was what, and I ended up short on wood the entire short duration of my leadership (also got hit by depletion, and couldn't figure out how to tell how close I was in various locations to depletion). May need to dig into the settings a bit (also, I would have liked to be able to zoom in further - need to check for a setting on that as well). Probably need to look for a manual as well - I couldn't tell how to rescue lost settlers after building the beacon (needed to select it when I had enough resources to build scouts).

Also, it's very bleak.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Pyperkub wrote:
Combustible Lemur wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:20 pm
Pyperkub wrote:

Fired this up on the xBonex this weekend and lasted about 14 days on the first scenario. A huge issue for me in my first game was that the resource icons were a bit difficult to discern and there was no help/info that I could find to know what was what, and I ended up short on wood the entire short duration of my leadership (also got hit by depletion, and couldn't figure out how to tell how close I was in various locations to depletion). May need to dig into the settings a bit (also, I would have liked to be able to zoom in further - need to check for a setting on that as well). Probably need to look for a manual as well - I couldn't tell how to rescue lost settlers after building the beacon (needed to select it when I had enough resources to build scouts).

Also, it's very bleak.
Yeah, I'm in love hate with it atm. I'm sure there's a few key strategies to it, but it feels like I'm meant to fail, which is weird to me for a builder game with a finite goal.
I wish the normal difficulty was a little less dependent on luck. And the endless mode didn't ramp up so early.

I do love the world, and mechanics, and general ambience, I like the rewards for micromanaging that both slow down progression of the game but fill out and speed up the rate of actual playing.

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

It may seem impossible now, but with some planning it's possible to get through the storm pretty much unscathed. I will say too, my 2nd attempt at a base was an order of magnitude better than my first, and my 3rd even better than that, so there's a lot more room for improvement than it might seem at first.

Few tips that might help new players:
- !! First key to fast growth is multiple workshops. They are cheap, and only take 5 engineers, and getting higher tier tech is the best way to produce more. Get your first one built fast, and as soon as things are stable: build more
- As long as the temperature is chilly or higher at a location there's only a small chance workers will get sick there, so try to keep work places at least chilly, and homes at least comfortable
- If you can't keep everything heated, don't worry. Cold creates sick workers, and sick workers will eventually become gravely ill if not treated, but that takes a bit, so as long as you can free up infirmary space before they get gravely ill you can keep them alive and useful
- Scouting is very, very important in the long run, and, while it might seem like a steep investment to get a scout team out early, they will find enough resources pretty fast to pay for themselves and then some, not to mention finding more workers for the city
- A good early goal is to get a sawmill up and running. You will need lots of wood eventually, and you need to get it researched and built before the initial piles of wood are exhausted

Happy to answer any questions as well.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Is there a manual for this, or only guides/wikis?

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:28 pm Is there a manual for this, or only guides/wikis?
Have you seen a lot of games with manuals come your way in the last 15 years?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

wonderpug wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:18 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:28 pm Is there a manual for this, or only guides/wikis?
Have you seen a lot of games with manuals come your way in the last 15 years?
Usually I see pdf manuals somewhere, like on the steam page.