Tropico 5 Complete Collection - sale over, but let's talk about it anyway!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Tropico 5 Complete Collection - sale over, but let's talk about it anyway!

Post by jztemple2 »

Decided to make this a separate thread because 1) it's been almost three years since someone posted on the old thread and 2) the sale ends so quickly.

As the title says, the Tropico 5: Complete Collection is on a flash sale on Green Man Gaming for only $8 USD, but as I post the sale is ending in less than eleven and a half hours, so I wanted to get it out there. This is, according to the description, the base game and all the DLC, so it looks to be a good deal.
Last edited by jztemple2 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Re: Tropico 5 Complete Collection - only $8 on GMG, but expires *Saturday* 10am EDT

Post by jztemple2 »

In case anyone may want it, the Tropico 5 Extended UK manual for PC is available through the Steam store page or direct through this link.
Last edited by jztemple2 on Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Apollo

Re: Tropico 5 Complete Collection - only $8 on GMG, but expires Sun 10am EDT

Post by Apollo »

I've never played any of the Tropico games but to get the game and all DLC for $8 is a deal I can't pass up. Thanks for the heads up!
Kraken

Re: Tropico 5 Complete Collection - only $8 on GMG, but expires Sun 10am EDT

Post by Kraken »

How was this one? I've played all the Tropicos up to this one, but haven't really loved the game since T2.
jztemple2

Re: Tropico 5 Complete Collection - only $8 on GMG, but expires *Saturday* 10am EDT

Post by jztemple2 »

Yeah, I picked this game up in 2014 but couldn't get into it since I kept comparing it to Tropico 4 in how the game played. I put in about eight hours all told and then uninstalled. Now that I have the complete edition and it's been years since I've played Tropico 4 I'm going to give this another try.
Last edited by jztemple2 on Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kraken wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:54 pm How was this one? I've played all the Tropicos up to this one, but haven't really loved the game since T2.
I liked T4 and put in a lot of hours on the X360 and then the PC, the controls on the PC being a lot better. As I mentioned, I couldn't really get into T5 when it was released, but I just played through the tutorial again after almost three years and it seems like it might be fun to give it another go.

You can always download the manual and give it a look and for eight bucks you can't go too wrong.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Sorry, big goof on my part, the sale ends *Saturday* morning, not Sunday morning. I thought it was Saturday today... that's what happens when you're retired, you lose track of what day it is :roll:

I posted this over on the other forum, but just FYI Green Man Gaming is having it's Spring Sale which started today. I'm not sure of the duration but they are putting a number of games on 24 hours Flash Deals, so check them out each day. It seems that the Flash deals will change at 10am EDT, at least the ones active now will switch then.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Well I'm sure I'll get 8 bucks worth of entertainment out of it. I'm in.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I found 5 more difficult than 4. I like both but I keep getting defeated at the same point in the campaign in 5.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm tentatively liking it so far. It's no T2, but it's an incremental improvement over T4, which was an improvement over 3. They're really just making the same game over and over, so enjoyment comes down to scenario design and atmospherics.

My only gripe so far was that upon completing the first mission, the second one started me over. I didn't like having to research the same techs and build the same buildings and become independent all over again. But scenario 3 followed the second one smoothly, so that's encouraging.

Imma get my 8 bucks worth, anyway. :mrgreen:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Z-Corn wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:41 pm I found 5 more difficult than 4. I like both but I keep getting defeated at the same point in the campaign in 5.
Was it the mission where you need to become a nuclear power? I had to play that one four times.

Otherwise I'm finding the campaign to be very good and I'm enjoying this Tropico more than any since T2. My initial complaint about continuity turned out to be invalid.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Kraken wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 4:40 pm
Z-Corn wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:41 pm I found 5 more difficult than 4. I like both but I keep getting defeated at the same point in the campaign in 5.
Was it the mission where you need to become a nuclear power? I had to play that one four times.

Otherwise I'm finding the campaign to be very good and I'm enjoying this Tropico more than any since T2. My initial complaint about continuity turned out to be invalid.
Yep, that's the one. I kept running out of time.

You got any tips for beating it?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Z-Corn wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:14 am

Build a college and 1-2 observatories as soon as you can, upgrade them fully, and keep your economy strong. Once you complete the research the nuclear program's building is expensive, so you'll need a healthy bank balance.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Kraken wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 11:43 am

Build a college and 1-2 observatories as soon as you can, upgrade them fully, and keep your economy strong. Once you complete the research the nuclear program's building is expensive, so you'll need a healthy bank balance.
I think I probably let myself run out of money too often, I tend to do that.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Z-Corn wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 7:55 am
Kraken wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 11:43 am

I think I probably let myself run out of money too often, I tend to do that.
It took me two playthroughs to figure out how to generate enough research points quickly enough and a third one to figure out the money challenge that comes after the research is done. Nailed it on the fourth try.

Now I'm slogging through the final mission of the campaign. I've had to reload early saves twice already, and I'm still not sure I'm going to be able to pull it out of the fire...although I think I'm close.