Must have VR games

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Montag

Must have VR games

Post by Montag »

So with the Steam VR Spring sale, I think it's time to get a list of the better games. For me:

My top recommendations
Subnautica - some bugs, some hassle, but way worth it. It is a great game without VR anyway
Superhot - I believe we already have consensus on this
Robo Recall - 0culus only
Battlezone - worth $10, but not $20. Sadly community is small so getting coop may be a struggle
Vanishing Realms - can get it on the cheap. Not high end graphics, but I think it is a good proof of concept dungeon crawl.

Still evaluating
Detached - if you are subject to motion sickness avoid like the super gonorrhea, but if you want to get vertigo this is the game for you. Actually, I did buy this to get the full onslaught of the VR experience. The Steam intro movie is pretty spot on. I think this will make the cut for Tier 1.
words
Fretmute

Re: Must have VR games

Post by Fretmute »

I had a lot of fun with I Expect You to Die.
mkultrakill

Post by mkultrakill »

Payday 2 just released a VR version not to long ago, heard good things. I feel like you need a decent sized room for an FPS like that though.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

if you enjoyed the original Rez on Dreamcast/PS2, Rez Infinite is well worth playing.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Personally, I'd love to try Fallout 4 in VR. Just haven't taken the plunge.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

If I had VR, I think my killer app would likely be Star Trek: Bridge Crew.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
l0ri

Post by l0ri »

Yeah I agree, Star Trek: Bridge Crew is great. But I wish they make Shemue VR game. In that way we can learn martial arts and master them by playing.
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

My favorite VR game experience has still been Batman VR, but as far as a game, Bridge Crew. For those who have played, is it me or did they really capture the cramped, submarine feeling of the Original Enterprise, even when comparing to the Aegis?
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

sgoldj wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:16 pm is it me or did they really capture the cramped, submarine feeling of the Original Enterprise
The original Star Trek Enterprise was spacious compared to a submarine. lol
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Beat Saber (early access) just came out -- after a short time with it I'd call it a must have if you have any interest at all in rhythm games.
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

em2nought wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:48 pm
sgoldj wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:16 pm is it me or did they really capture the cramped, submarine feeling of the Original Enterprise
The original Star Trek Enterprise was spacious compared to a submarine. lol
Absolutely true. It was the best comparison I could think of thought for the relative claustrophic feeling compared to the Aegis
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

My top recommendation for VR is Skyrim VR. I know we've all played it before, but it really is incredible in VR. Performance is excellent, it is a beautiful world to wander around in, and shooting lightning bolts from your hands never gets old. Totally worth buying it again at full price.

My kids and I have really been into Beat Saber lately as well. It is just as fun as Guitar Hero was back when that first came out -- and it feels very similar. You try to remember the rhythms and get better at each song, just like you did with Guitar Hero back in the day.
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

Was curious how Skyrim VR compares to Fallout 4 VR. Reviews comparing the two seem to indicate that Skyrim is more stable/much better out of the box. I have the Fallout 4 VR which came free with my purchase of Vive last December but honestly it was taking so much time to tweak even to get it remotely playable I lost interest and real life issues shelved any further play.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

According to news, Bridge Crew is going TNG... but so far, it's PS4 only. PC version will launch in JULY.

https://uploadvr.com/preview-star-trek- ... neration/
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 12:12 pm According to news, Bridge Crew is going TNG... but so far, it's PS4 only. PC version will launch in JULY.

https://uploadvr.com/preview-star-trek- ... neration/
This was one of the games I was really looking forward to when I got my vive. I played some solo games and quite a few MP games. With the right crew it was awesome and I had way more good crews than bad.
I had a fall last year I'm still recovering from and can't really use the Vive, but this is still the main game I miss. I do want to try Fallout or Skyrim at some point though, but not at full price.. I STILL haven't finished the regular ones!
I also played the free Trials of Tatooine several times.. It's SUPER short but fun for Star Wars fans.. They REALLY should have modeled the whole Millenium Falcon for us to roam through though...
On that topic, at one point I considered buying a PS4 with VR to play the X-Wing exclusive game.. (Star Wars games should NEVER be exclusives!)
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Montag

Post by Montag »

Snagged SPAZ2 for $8 on this weeks Steam sale and gave it a quick test. I can easily see it being worth way more than $8. I likes SPAZ 1, but did not finish it. This seems to be a good refinement. VR makes it totally different though.
words
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Read that WoFF is playable on Vive with the VorpX driver, it just lacks the 3D effect. I'm considering getting a Vive and VorpX, because otherwise I'd want an extra wide monitor, or three monitors, and a Track IR so not really much difference in price I'm thinking.

Link http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/t ... ost4418742
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

So my PC won't handle VR from what I've read. :(

At $199, I'm surprised that none of you have an Oculus Go yet?
Montag

Post by Montag »

My money printing machine was broken by a Nvidia 1080 card. No more new toys for awhile.
words
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Former PSVR exclusive Moss just released for Rift and Vive. This seems to be getting universal praise from people playing it in PSVR.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

wonderpug wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:37 pm Former PSVR exclusive Moss just released for Rift and Vive. This seems to be getting universal praise from people playing it in PSVR.
Steam
It's almost as if people are the problem.