Why hasn't anyone made THIS game?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Apollo

Why hasn't anyone made THIS game?

Post by Apollo »

A few months ago I was playing the excellent X Com 2: War of the Chosen, and it occurred to me that they had the perfect engine for a turn-based superhero game! In fact it seems like it would be relatively easy to mod X com 2 into a superhero game. Imagine your characters staring off with a simple power or two and then adding new ones each time they went up a level. And with a fully destructible environment to boot!

In a time when Turn-based strategy games seem to be making a comeback, and where superhero movies are literally making billions of dollars all over the world, it's hard for me to believe that no one has come up with the idea of making a turn-based superhero strategy game. Am I missing something?
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Re: Why hasn't anyone made THIS game?

Post by $iljanus »

Somebody needs to remake this:

Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

I guess you forgot that that game is A. 16 years old and B. an RTS, not a turn-based strategy game. But, yes, it was awesome back in the day and is still the only game even remotely similar (AFAIK) to what I am describing.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cant see the image. Im guessing its this.....

https://store.steampowered.com/app/8880/Freedom_Force/

Enlarge Image

EDIT: Ok weird I see it now after posting mine. And I thought it was turn based. Hmmm.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The Freedom Force games are still in my top 20 list of best games ever made. I adored both games in the series. :wub:
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Theres DC Legends but I know nothing about it other than it exist.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Daehawk wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:32 pm
EDIT: Ok weird I see it now after posting mine. And I thought it was turn based. Hmmm.
Yep, I thought about going back and replaying it recently, but I discovered that it doesn't work on Windows 10 and is an RTS, a type of game that I completely burned out on long ago. Still, that would be the basic blueprint for what I am talking about. I know that they did a sequel back in the day but it is surprising to me that no one has made anything like it in the meantime.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Daehawk wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:36 pm Theres DC Legends but I know nothing about it other than it exist.
OK, so I downloaded and played it for a bit, but I don't like it. It is very similar to Marvel's Puzzle Quest, but with hero battles instead of match 3. Unfortunately, you can't move and all combat takes place on a small square with no buildings, terrain or anything else. It's just another gimmick to steal money from young, phone-obsessed kids, IMHO.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Apollo wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:37 pm
Daehawk wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:32 pm
Yep, I thought about going back and replaying it recently, but I discovered that it doesn't work on Windows 10 and is an RTS, a type of game that I completely burned out on long ago. Still, that would be the basic blueprint for what I am talking about. I know that they did a sequel back in the day but it is surprising to me that no one has made anything like it in the meantime.
Just to clarify, it's been a while since I last played 'em but as I recall, the Freedom Force series were less RTS, and more akin to pause-able, real-time tactical RPGs.

BTW, here's a setup guide on how to get the Steam version of Freedom Force running properly on Windows 10:

The GOG version works a little better, IIRC.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 1:42 am Just to clarify, it's been a while since I last played 'em but as I recall, the Freedom Force series were less RTS, and more akin to pause-able, real-time tactical RPGs.
That's my take on them. I basically played with the game paused, unpausing to let my orders be executed, then paused again.

I actually prefer this style of tactical game, because it's very cool seeing how things play out in real time, and being able to pause whenever you want allows you to take your time when making tactical decisions.

All the thought and tactics of turn based with all the fun and visual effects of a more action oriented real time game. Plus real time allows for simultaneous execution of multiple orders for multiple units, so co-ordinated take downs and door breeches and grenade tosses and what have you can make for tactics that just don't exist in turn based outside of a WEGO system.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

One of the best turn based strat games I remember playing was Silent Storm but its WW2 wit ha little sci-fi in it not super heroes.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Daehawk wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 6:27 am One of the best turn based strat games I remember playing was Silent Storm but its WW2 wit ha little sci-fi in it not super heroes.
PANZERKLEINS! Those were the coolest things. Probably another one of those games that won't work well with Win 10 and another game that should get a reboot.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Obviously THIS game was Guardians: Agents of Justice, and it wasn't made because Simtex shut down while it was still in development.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

$iljanus wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 8:02 am
Daehawk wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 6:27 am One of the best turn based strat games I remember playing was Silent Storm but its WW2 wit ha little sci-fi in it not super heroes.
PANZERKLEINS! Those were the coolest things. Probably another one of those games that won't work well with Win 10 and another game that should get a reboot.
Actually, it runs fine on Windows 10 as I was just playing it last year. You can get it on Steam pretty cheap.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Freedom Force was the same type of RPG/strategy hybrid that Baldur's Gate was, just lighter on the RPG.

PC Gaming Wiki has the details for getting it to run on Win10, and is my go-to resource after installing any game, especially older once, to find out what issues they have and how to fix them. It typically consolidates all the config edits, patches, and third party fixes for things like widescreen, FOV, and mouse issues.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Max Peck wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 8:09 am Obviously THIS game was Guardians: Agents of Justice, and it wasn't made because Simtex shut down while it was still in development.
Ahhh Simtex....made my favorite game Master of Orion 1. They made fun stuff. Steve Barcia was a genius :)