Dauntless...team hunter / mmo?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Dauntless...team hunter / mmo?

Post by Daehawk »

Im not sure what this is. I remember posting on it but it returns only half a page of results when i search for 'Dauntless' . It looks like a hunter sci fi mmo game that lets you team up with others to take down giant monsters or you can solo other stuff. Ive been waiting on it a long time and today they sent me an email stating it will go into open beta on May 24th. Ive passed on it because its one of those pay to get into play before this and I REFUSE to ever do one of those.

https://playdauntless.com/
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Re: Dauntless...team hunter / mmo?

Post by Isgrimnur »

Coming Free-to-Play to PC in 2018
Hard No.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

?

There are plenty of free to play games that are worth playing. Fortnite is f2p, for example.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Its as much a personal thing as anything else. I wasted tons of hours in World of _____, grinding to just get to the next level to grind even more.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Playint this some. Seems very grindy repetitive so far. But still a noob and only done about 5 hunts. I know how to do some things like craft and wear armor , craft and wear a weapon, craft potions.

But I cant figure out how to use or equip those potions at all. I also cant unequip stuff Im wearing unless I replace it with something instead and I cant get rid of old armor and weps in my inv but can salvage potion regents. Im not sure if thats a bug or 4 or they just have not gotten around to that stuff yet.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I figured out how to slot potions by accident. The user UI is a sad thing indeed. Not intuitive and convoluted. Cumbersome and doesn't need to be.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 7:57 am Its as much a personal thing as anything else. I wasted tons of hours in World of _____, grinding to just get to the next level to grind even more.
Fair enough.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think Im done with Dauntless...after 30 battles its become repetitive ....queue up hunt...do hunt...queue up hunt....do hunt...over and over just they get tougher and you die more...yup done.

Now in 25 of those 30 or so battles I had a lot of fun. But it just wore itself out. Quickly Id reckon.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

ARISE!!

This got released with cross-platform play recently (PS4 and Xbox, with Switch on the way), so I decided to give it a look. Especially after seeing a couple really good reviews (IGN's being one of them)

This is essentially a streamlined version of Monster Hunter. It's the exact same gameplay loop: kill monster, use monster parts to make better gear, kill stronger monsters, repeat. It does take out much of the complexity that the MH series brings, but I think they did a really good job of boiling the concept down to its essence. The battles are fun and usually pretty quick (longest I had today was 15 minutes), as opposed to some of the absolute marathons that MH required. There's a smaller number of weapons (6), the environments are fairly basic (as opposed to the twisting and turning locales in MH), and the upgrade loop is simpler and without quite so many choices. There's a whole host of Masteries (achievements) that give gear and upgrades, so it feels like you're constantly working towards something. No mission - even if it's failed - is ever worthless.

It all comes together to be a very fun game...with the caveat of that this sort of gameplay loop is appealing to you. I spent a ton of time with Monster Hunter World, but the overly long battles at the higher difficulties ultimately just ground me down. This version seems to have streamlined lots of the extra "stuff" and focuses just specifically on quicker, tighter battles which I have really enjoyed.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I actually tried this out tonight. I've always liked the concept of Monster Hunter, but never quite got hooked by them. So, I decided to try this out. I like how I can drop in and run a couple hunts, and not be on the hook for significant time commitments. And I love unlocks/upgrades. So I can see myself playing this for awhile. Not sure how much staying power it will have, but it was fun so far.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Baroquen wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:29 am I like how I can drop in and run a couple hunts, and not be on the hook for significant time commitments.
That was my take as well. The biggest problem I had with the MH games was that the more challenging hunts could often take 30-60 minutes, and if you failed, you basically got nothing. Dauntless' sense of constant progression + smaller time commitment fits my gaming life much better.

Being able to link my PS4 and PC accounts was cool as well. I ran a bunch of hunts on the console, then switched right over to my PC (when the kids commandeered the TV for Super Smash Bros) without losing any progress. Hoping that I can add the Switch when it gets released there as well.

I did notice that it seems to run much smoother on PC though. PS4 was often quite laggy, and I had a bunch of time-out errors on yesterday. Didn't get either on PC. Read that there were 5 million new players in the first week on console, which would account for the lag and congestion on that side of the house. Hopefully it bodes well for the game's longevity.

I think Dae should change the thread title to read "Dauntless: Cross-platform, F2P, Monster Hunter lite" ;)
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I tried this out when they first went into beta and was unimpressed, but for some reason, for the first time in 15 years or so, I've been starting to get back into online MP games, and after giving it another try the other night, Dauntless is scratching the itch for me.

As mentioned, I really like that you can jump in for a half an hour, and still feel like you're getting something accomplished. My wife and I have recently started playing Sea of Thieves together, and it's a blast, but we have to set aside a few hours at a time to really get into it, whereas we can load up Dauntless and play together for 20 minutes before bed, and still have a lot of fun.

I haven't played Monster Hunter, so maybe this would have all the life sucked out of it if I'd played the "real thing", but Dauntless is just the right amount of progression and game for me at the moment.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I finally gave this a try this weekend too. It's been on my radar for a really long time but I had more or less decided it wasn't my cup of tea. But it was surprisingly more fun than I thought it would be. Definitely repetitive as people have described, but also kind of addictive in a weird way. As discussed it's kind of a simple gameplay loop once you get started. Kill monsters (and grab resources) and then use what you get to upgrade. What keeps things interesting is that there are 6 different weapon types and multiple armor pieces to craft/upgrade, and each type is linked to a particular type of monster. A "fire" monster will drop pieces that help you upgrade all your fire type gear, but that gear is most effective killing "frost" type of monsters. So you can kind of already see the pattern, as to be the most effective for every battle and every weapon type against any particular monster you'd have to collect and craft tons of different gear, which in turn means to kill many many monsters. Then there are other modifications that can be applied on top of that, and there are different potions you can craft to bring in to each fight. It adds up to a relatively lot of customization/personalization for a game like this. It seems like the real money store is used for visual items like skins and stuff, so essentially the gameplay is entirely free.

The cross platform seems to be working pretty well thus far. I've almost always been paired up with console players and there hasn't seemed to be any problems.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I’m seeing significant lag differences between PC and PS4, and have been sticking with PC as a result.

Still having a blast, but the variability in skill level of other players can be frustrating. If you ever get in a battle with three pistol welders and one melee, just bail. Trust me. :)

Not really sure how friendlisting works, but I’m “skinypupy” if anyone wants to team up for hunts.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I'm "Baroquen131" I think. Mostly playing with my son. I don't mind any lag difference because he plays on the PS4 and I get the PC. :D My daughter wanted on the game today, so I put her account together. I thought she'd be horrible, but she was better than I expected. We'll see if she sticks with it once the difficulty ramps up a bit.

Anyway, it's still entertaining for me. Haven't made tremendous progress, but we'll chugging along and doing new hunts.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I'm Sepeche on Dauntless if anyone wants to add me. (Sepiche has "epic" in it so I couldn't choose that apparently :|)

Started focusing on the chain blades, but lately I've been focused on the guns. I'm far enough in to start hunting radiant behemoths, but I haven't been able to make a radiant weapon yet.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sepiche wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:29 amStarted focusing on the chain blades, but lately I've been focused on the guns. I'm far enough in to start hunting radiant behemoths, but I haven't been able to make a radiant weapon yet.
I just unlocked the Radiant Behemoth hunts last weekend as well.

I've tried everything, but have been focusing mainly with swords. They've got just the right balance of damage and speed for me. I really like playing with chain blades, but always end up with lower rankings in hunts because they don't seem do as much damage. The bigger weapons (axe and hammer) are way too clunky for me. Still on the fence about that pike/spear thing.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Twitch Prime (free if you have Amazon Prime) has a Dauntless bundle right now that includes some armor, dyes, and other goodies.