State of Decay 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

gbasden

State of Decay 2

Post by gbasden »

Anyone else playing this? I spent the evening playing coop with some friends and had a really good time. It's got the same mechanics as the first SoD, but the base management is more polished and the missions have been interesting so far. Being able to play with friends also changed the whole dynamic. The host basically controls the story and the progression, but the people helping him have their own dedicated loot and carry over influence earned.

It's definitely got some bugs yet, but we played 6 hours with no real issues. 6 of 8 tentacles for me.
Daehawk

Re: State of Decay 2

Post by Daehawk »

On my wishlist. Did not know it was out. Someday I plan to give it a go.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
tgb

Post by tgb »

Does time still move forward even when not playing? That killed the first one for me.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

tgb wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 1:53 pm Does time still move forward even when not playing? That killed the first one for me.
How so? I put a couple hundred hours into the original game and never really noticed any impact from that feature.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
tgb

Post by tgb »

Max Peck wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 2:15 pm
tgb wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 1:53 pm Does time still move forward even when not playing? That killed the first one for me.
How so? I put a couple hundred hours into the original game and never really noticed any impact from that feature.
Just the idea. When I heard that I gave up pretty much immediately.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

I hadn't played SoD 2 for a few days, but I just booted it up, and it became SoD 3.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

tgb wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 3:31 pm
Max Peck wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 2:15 pm
Just the idea. When I heard that I gave up pretty much immediately.
Wow. I never had an issue with that.

Basically, it moves forward and slows down the longer you don't play until it's at a stand-still. The effect, in-game, is that it becomes a mission generator and pulls in some resources while you're away. It's not like you come back and find your base in tatters, the group disbanded, and everyone on death's door. I'd come back and find I had a mission to go rescue someone who got stuck, find someone else, and maybe bulk up on food that had gone down a little... That's about it.

I'll have to check out State of Decay 2, though. I spent a lot of time in the first and only avoided the "Gold" or "GOTY" version because it wasn't a substantial overhaul but seemed more like a dusting and polish. If it had added more, I'd have bought it too.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:34 am
I hadn't played SoD 2 for a few days, but I just booted it up, and it became SoD 3.
:lol:
He won. Period.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Regrettably, I bought this and was disappointed. There is really no apparent single-player narrative. It seems like it is all randomly generated without any real plotted or scripted stuff that adds depth or character. I just couldn't get into it at all. Also, it was very buggy/glitchy.

I imagine it would be a decent platform for co-op multi-player survival. So if you have several peeps to play it with, give it a go. Otherwise I would advise to skip it. 2/8 tentacles.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I wouldn't rate it quite that low, but after playing for an hour I went back to Conan Exiles. I will get back to it eventually, but agree that beyond the first few minutes, it's pretty much sandbox survival without all the crafting.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Suitably Ironic Moniker

I wish that they had continued Marcus' and Lily's story from the first game. They were left at a pretty big cliffhanger.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

There's definitely some overhanging narrative, as I've found clues to some seemingly nefarious ongoing plot by some (para)military folks. That said, my single player has probably only been about 3 hours worth and most of my time has been multiplayer. It is definitely buggy right now, but very fun when working.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Thought maybe this "before you buy" video review might help some folks decide if it is for them or not.
-mf
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Hulu showed me the add for this, about 30 times yesterday
my question is, will it come on steam? the ad says xbox and windows 10 exclusive, and that makes me sad, becuase I kinda wanted to play it
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Jaymon wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:50 pm my question is, will it come on steam? the ad says xbox and windows 10 exclusive, and that makes me sad, becuase I kinda wanted to play it
Nope. Microsoft is too interested in using it's game studio to force people to use the windows store and upgrade to windows 10.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

April
Due to an error message that appeared during a developer livestream of the game's PAX East demo build – which has since been removed from Undead Labs' Twitch archive – it appears support for Valve's gaming platform is in the works.
However, the State of Decay 2 FAQ page has listed Steam support as a topic of community interest for quite a while, simply answering, "Stay tuned – we’ll have more to share in the future," indicating the developer could make an announcement at some time down the line.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:25 pm April
Due to an error message that appeared during a developer livestream of the game's PAX East demo build – which has since been removed from Undead Labs' Twitch archive – it appears support for Valve's gaming platform is in the works.
However, the State of Decay 2 FAQ page has listed Steam support as a topic of community interest for quite a while, simply answering, "Stay tuned – we’ll have more to share in the future," indicating the developer could make an announcement at some time down the line.
Oh, wow. Happy to be wrong if that's the case. Although I bet they'll still require windows 10.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Windows for Workgroups is gone, man. You have to let it go.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I wonder if they patched in any content.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's also available on Epic Games Store.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:06 pm

It's also available on Epic Games Store.
Is there toilet paper DLC?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Suitably Ironic Moniker

I haven't played too much of it yet, but it looks and feels a little more like the first one now, which is a plus for me. Plus, I can explore Trumbull county again!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 1:27 pm I wouldn't rate it quite that low, but after playing for an hour I went back to Conan Exiles. I will get back to it eventually, but agree that beyond the first few minutes, it's pretty much sandbox survival without all the crafting.
So I never got back to it after that first hour of disappoint. I am installing the Juggernaut Edition now and will report back. They could have at least emailed me about it. Then again I suppose it would go to my hotmail account which I basically never look at.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Having played it a little more, I ended up uninstalling it (again) for a few different reasons. The game itself somehow seems both busier and emptier than the first game, both in the second’s original game world, and the new Trumbull county, which is very faithful overall in its geography. I did appreciate that there did seem to be a passage of time evident in the local area, with certain places more ramshackle, and others reworked slightly as a shelter or repurposed. Nevertheless, it feels more artificial, like it’s an amusement park version of the original, which is the best way I can describe it.

The first game’s characters weren’t the deepest ever written, but I did grow to like them. This game’s characters are paper-thin and seem like they came out of a focus group, they’re trying so hard to be hip and edgy. In the Trumbull side of the game, all the characters can talk about is Lily, and how she was such an inspiration, almost godlike. I suppose they had to use her, since one could technically play as any of the characters from the shelter, but I do think Marcus could get a little love. Plus, the dialogue is just spoken at random, there don’t seem to be the little scenes that would occur periodically in the original. Ray Santos is an NPC in the game (at the beginning, at least; I don’t know if he becomes playable later), but he’s completely 18- from who he was in the first game. In the original, he was completely devoted to helping the community, always donating stuff to neighbors and taking their donations in return, along with doling out vehicles when needed. In this one, he is completely resistant to helping other people. I suppose this may be a plot point, but it plays weird, and to my mind, false.

A small point, but I also don’t dig how the camera is so close up to the player, versus the first one. It feels claustrophobic. I suppose that’s just a personal preference, but it bugs me. Anyhoo, I really want to like the game, seeing as I have put an embarrassingly large amount of time in the original, but I keep bouncing off of it.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

I have never played anything in this series but I just bought the Juggernaut edition of SoD 2 and I've been enjoying it so far. It's slightly buggy but, from what I hear, nowhere near as buggy as it used to be. But the gameplay is dreamy. The controls feel just right and combat is satisfying. I like the camaraderie between the camp mates (although I assume it gets old). I think the scarcity of ammo is well balanced too. I always have enough ammo to get myself out of a tight spot, but never enough to just blast my way through a horde of zombies.

I particularly enjoy the way you have to make decisions about what to carry, and how the boot (trunk) of your car is an extension of your inventory. It brings the old flawed gem Boiling Point: Road to Hell to mind. In fact the game seems to perfectly meld the base-building and mission-running elements of gameplay. I'm always thinking of both, whatever I'm doing.

There's a lot more to say but I haven't played for long yet. So far though, I have to say this is looking like an excellent open-world zombie game. I'm pretty pleased I bought it on a whim.
I no longer post here.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Paradroid wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:08 am I have never played anything in this series but I just bought the Juggernaut edition of SoD 2 and I've been enjoying it so far. It's slightly buggy but, from what I hear, nowhere near as buggy as it used to be. But the gameplay is dreamy. The controls feel just right and combat is satisfying. I like the camaraderie between the camp mates (although I assume it gets old). I think the scarcity of ammo is well balanced too. I always have enough ammo to get myself out of a tight spot, but never enough to just blast my way through a horde of zombies.

I particularly enjoy the way you have to make decisions about what to carry, and how the boot (trunk) of your car is an extension of your inventory. It brings the old flawed gem Boiling Point: Road to Hell to mind. In fact the game seems to perfectly meld the base-building and mission-running elements of gameplay. I'm always thinking of both, whatever I'm doing.

There's a lot more to say but I haven't played for long yet. So far though, I have to say this is looking like an excellent open-world zombie game. I'm pretty pleased I bought it on a whim.
I agree, I come back to this game every few months and play a few weeks then move onto something else. But the world is waiting right where I left off. I have finally completed the mission of eliminating all the plague hearts so I'm interested in where it goes from here.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

On the other hand I loved State of Decay (I bought it THREE times!) and have not been able to get into SoD2 at all. I've tried twice and both times just couldn't summon any interest.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I put so many hours in State of Decay 2 on Xbox it’s ridiculous. Easily in my top 10 games on that console. It does everything the first one did...only better.
Last edited by hepcat on Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I liked the first one well enough to install it and play it then delete it because I gave up 3 or 4 times. I dont remember if it was item breaking or having to take different people with me all the time to skill them up and equip them that ruined it more for me. I hate item breaking in any game. And as for the npcs why cant they just skill themselves up and tag along with me. Simply let me equip them. The rest is not fun.Also I left cars damaged all over the place. trying to switch which was parked at base to sloooowly repair became silly.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Daehawk I'm with you on item breaking. Never liked it in any game, I don't see what gameplay value it brings. But the rest of what you posted makes it sound like you want a pure action adventure, but that's not what SoD is; it's as much a community builder/manager as anything else.

Besides, you should want to bring the other characters out with you - combat support and a second inventory are invaluable!
I no longer post here.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I don't mind the item breakage when it makes since. A baseball bat over time will eventually break, a crowbar...No. How do you break a crowbar bashing in zombie heads? To me that is where it is stupid and it irritates me.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:15 pm I put so many hours in State of Decay 2 on Xbox it’s ridiculous. Easily in my top 10 games on that console. It does everything the first one did...only better.
Counterpoint: Story

State of Decay has one. I have yet to see any indication of one in S0D2 beyond the emergent story which doesn't count in my book and by book I mean series of disconnected vignettes.

I am giving it a third try and this time I am much further into the game than either of my previous tries. I did put it on easy because I bounced off the previous two times and part of it was stress so I thought maybe lowering difficulty would lower the stress. It has probably lowered it too much. I steamroll pretty much everything and am constantly losing supplies because I don't have room to store them all.

I have no idea if there is a story because after the tutorial it has basically seems like an open world random mish-mash of stuff. I guess the top of the to do list is to secure the region so I maybe after I clean up the rest of the nests something interesting may happen.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I can understand that. For me, the story was just trying to survive, but the sequel does have a story...albeit much more focused with fewer story missions overall.

The DLC Heartland does add a much better story experience though. Still, it's much shorter than the original game's main one.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Juggernaut Edition is $22.49 on Epic. If you use your $10 coupon then of course its $12.49. Its on my list. Just not sure. I was hoping it would be better than the first one that I enjoyed but didn't finish. I thought this one would have a small town to build up or a base but NPCs would help and do raids and such on their on or with you and such.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

At the core it's very much the same as the original, building up a base, securing outposts, finding and securing a better base location, interacting with other groups, leveling up skills, finding ammo, etc. SoD2 is just a little prettier and more of a typical open world.

I have no idea what the DLCs add. In theory I have them all with the Juggernaut edition. I guess I should progress the story and see.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You dont have to play with other people do you? Can it be set to not allow others to join?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

coopasonic wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:55 pm At the core it's very much the same as the original, building up a base, securing outposts, finding and securing a better base location, interacting with other groups, leveling up skills, finding ammo, etc. SoD2 is just a little prettier and more of a typical open world.

I have no idea what the DLCs add. In theory I have them all with the Juggernaut edition. I guess I should progress the story and see.
To play Heartland you have to start a new game as it’s separate from the main story.
Daehawk wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:42 pm You dont have to play with other people do you? Can it be set to not allow others to join?
Yes
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah I just finished my first game. That was MUCH shorter than I expected. I started a Heartland game. This might be a bit harder.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im playing this again. Its better this go at it. Im not playing the campaign Im playing the Heartland mode and doing it single player. Ive got that first base up and repaired and added a water container to it. Ive just scouted the back to houses right behind my base and then climbed the billboard to mark nearby places. I walked to the military check point on the road and scavenged all I could. I also brought back a 2nd car from that small campsite across the road and repaired the first car they basically gave you in the beginning.

Thats it for tonight. Tomorrow Im gonna see about taking one of the vehicles down to that town / church to find that guy that the quest gave me.