[Bethesda] Fallout 76

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: [Bethesda] Fallout 76

Post by Daehawk »

If I play it..which is doubtful...and I hit someone by accident and them on purpose then Im going all in......or running really fast.
Last edited by Daehawk on Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:45 pm
Zarathud wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:53 pm The asshats will find a way to cause their targets to "do damage" to trigger the consequence free PVP.
Most likely by arranging to get hit first.
They thought of that.
Players will also have the ability to declare themselves as a “pacifist,” meaning their attacks won’t start PvP at all -- this is to prevent players jumping in front of someone's bullet to start a fight. You can choose to “ignore” specific players too, which hides you from each other on the map.
I'd prefer for "ignore" to extend to the actual matchmaking system, so that you can choose not to play in the same instance as someone rather than just be cloaked from them on the map.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So isn't being pacifist totally against what the game is ? Why even make it pvp mp if no one will do it much. Its the way MMOs got over time.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:10 pm So isn't being pacifist totally against what the game is ? Why even make it pvp mp if no one will do it much. Its the way MMOs got over time.
If I understand it correctly, it's just a flag that prevents you from (accidentally) initiating PvP. If you want to be able to start a fight, you just switch it off.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:10 pm So isn't being pacifist totally against what the game is ?
Absolutely not. This is not PUBG or Call of Duty. It's a survival game with PvP not a PvP game.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That toon makes me think of this ....

Guy with good gun is trying to make a guy with a crappy gun fight him because he knows he'll win and wont stop bothering the guy. Guy with crappy gun is "Nah look at my weapon" and keeps scavenging. Then he suddenly finds a big powerful gun and turns and kills the guy thats been wanting him to fight for the last 20 minutes harassing him in one shot.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:55 pm That toon makes me think of this ....

Guy with good gun is trying to make a guy with a crappy gun fight him because he knows he'll win and wont stop bothering the guy. Guy with crappy gun is "Nah look at my weapon" and keeps scavenging. Then he suddenly finds a big powerful gun and turns and kills the guy thats been wanting him to fight for the last 20 minutes harassing him in one shot.
I'd call that sweet revenge.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Somewhat off topic, but this is going to be an actual thing as of 23 Oct 2018. Just in time to add some flavor to your friendly neighborhood F76 launch party. :lol:

Enlarge Image

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wish Coca Cola would produce some limited Nuka Cola. Id buy it.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:55 pm I wish Coca Cola would produce some limited Nuka Cola. Id buy it.
Already happened. It was from Jones rather Coca Cola, but that was probably for the best.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well it was blue Ill give it that. But I want the classic look and the bottle is most important. Dont care the brand in it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Find yourself a glass coke bottle and have at. Check out the other stuff on there, too.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I find myself thinking that perhaps Bethesda licensed the wrong song to promote Fallout 76. Granted, Radioactive doesn't have the same retro feel as Country Roads. :think:

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Fallout 76 sets its pre-order beta folk loose on the wasteland October 30th
The radioactive wasteland of any Fallout game is a dangerous place, and twice as deadly for those who go in early. Those who pre-ordered Bethesda’s multiplayer spinoff Fallout 76 on PC (or PS4), can dive into post-apocalyptic West Virginia on October 30th, two weeks ahead of its November 14th launch date. Expect bugs, server issues and occasional nuclear explosions – par for any beta, really. Below, Fallout 76’s intro doing double duty as a new trailer.

The cutely-acronymed ‘Break-it Early Test Application’ starts a week earlier for Xbox people, as Microsoft have apparently forsaken us. The beta roll-out is a little more complicated than you might think, so check out Bethesda’s official FAQ page here for details. While the beta version will effectively be the full game and Bethesda hope to carry early saves over to launch, the testing servers won’t be up 24/7. Instead, they’ll be stress-testing in limited sessions at peak times to see how well the game’s servers will stand up to the launch-day crush.

As always, I am mildly annoyed that stress tests are marketed as betas.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

For no particular reason, today I decided to check the Fallout 76 FAQ to see what it says about download size (approximately 45GB) and NDA requirements (no NDA once the B.E.T.A. actually starts). :coffee:

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:43 pm no NDA once the B.E.T.A. actually starts
FYI if you didn't know, the Xbox beta first session already happened earlier this week.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

wonderpug wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:34 pm
Max Peck wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:43 pm no NDA once the B.E.T.A. actually starts
FYI if you didn't know, the Xbox beta first session already happened earlier this week.
Yeah, it started a week early on Xbox in order to give MS a pseudo-exclusive, I guess. I pre-ordered the PC version, though, so it doesn't start for me until the 30th (assuming I get in right at the start -- as I vaguely understand it, that's not a given and they may be adding people incrementally instead of all at once).

Ironically, when I ordered the XBOX+RDR2 bundle from EBGames this morning, I chose the XBOX-F76 bundle for the hardware option. :lol:

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

One day to go... until my hopes and dreams are inevitably crushed. :lol:

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Alchestbreach is streaming this on Twitch. Watched a little. May watch a little more but dont want to ruin it. May get it one day if I can before its old and no one plays it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Whoops -- Fallout 76 bug accidentally deletes beta:
To recap: if you clicked a button, wait. If you didn’t click a button, don’t click a button.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I managed to avoid the launcher bug that deleted the pre-load, but still got off to a slow start because the initial start-up was failing while trying to install the DirectX distribution. I finally figured out that I needed to run the bethesda.net launcher as admin rather than as my user account.

And thus it began...
Enlarge Image

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is it the same character creator as FO4?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:36 pm Is it the same character creator as FO4?
Pretty much. The main difference is that I could hear another player talking the whole time while he was creating his character. From the chatter, I'd guess that he's a streamer. :lol:

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hah ok thanks :)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:08 pm Whoops -- Fallout 76 bug accidentally deletes beta:
To recap: if you clicked a button, wait. If you didn’t click a button, don’t click a button.
This did screw over a lot of people, who found themselves starting a 47GB download when they expected to play during the initial 4-hour beta period. To make up for that, Bethesda has added 4 hours to the next beta period on 1 Nov, so the servers will be up 2PM-11PM instead of the originally scheduled 2PM-7PM. It still sucks for people with slow broadband and/or data caps though.

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

This beta was unfortunately during prime family hours, so I wasn't able to play a lot, but what I did play I enjoyed for the most part.

I thought I read at some point that there would be solo/offline play which doesn't seem to be there, but that said, at least playing last night with a lot of people around, everyone seemed content to work with others, or at least give everyone else a wide berth.

The campsite mechanic is interesting... instead of building a camp in a specific spot, you build your camp relative to the camp device and it can be picked up and placed elsewhere with all of your stations and buildings intact. It's also offline while you're not on.

The gunplay/VATS is the only thing I'm not sure about so far. I need a lot more exposure to it to really judge, but it felt a little unnatural compared to FO4. It was already growing on my after a bit, but it initially felt a little off.

I felt like a boss for a bit... I did a little exploring around the first town they direct you to, and found a military base filled with super mutants. They were tough, but by being careful and healing a lot I could take them out, and I got a lot of good loot. The best though was that I found a powered armor chassis and got to run around the newbie areas at least in a frame for a while.

I'll give it some more time, but I think I'll be able to get plenty of enjoyment out of this.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Sepiche wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:22 pmI thought I read at some point that there would be solo/offline play which doesn't seem to be there, but that said, at least playing last night with a lot of people around, everyone seemed content to work with others, or at least give everyone else a wide berth.
They've talked about being able to play "solo" (i.e. without needing to group up to do stuff) but I haven't seen anything about an offline mode. They have said that they want to support modded private servers at some point, but the last I heard they were saying that wouldn't happen until at least a year after launch.

There was at least one PVP murder on my server. Near the end of the beta session I looked at the map and noticed a level 10 player off to the north of me that had a bounty on his head.

Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

So . . . did anyone experience the FPS issue? That seems pretty absurd to let through on your multiplayer game . . .
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Fallout 76 tips and tricks: how to get the most out of the Fallout 76 beta
Those who are about to play Fallout 76’s beta on PC may be wondering how to get the best head start. After all, it’s reportedly the full game and the time spent actually playing the beta will apparently not be wasted. Bethesda have said that all progress made will carry over to the main game when it comes out. But there are a lot of changes in this new online version of Fallout, so help is at hand. This guide will go over some of the major changes that Fallout 76 brings, as well as explains things like hunger, crafting, and much more.

Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:21 pm They've talked about being able to play "solo" (i.e. without needing to group up to do stuff) but I haven't seen anything about an offline mode. They have said that they want to support modded private servers at some point, but the last I heard they were saying that wouldn't happen until at least a year after launch.
Rats! That is the part my kids and I are waiting for so looks like we will be waiting a bit longer. Cannot wait to play a Skyrim/Fallout game together on our own private server...
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:20 am Fallout 76 tips and tricks: how to get the most out of the Fallout 76 beta
Those who are about to play Fallout 76’s beta on PC may be wondering how to get the best head start. After all, it’s reportedly the full game and the time spent actually playing the beta will apparently not be wasted. Bethesda have said that all progress made will carry over to the main game when it comes out. But there are a lot of changes in this new online version of Fallout, so help is at hand. This guide will go over some of the major changes that Fallout 76 brings, as well as explains things like hunger, crafting, and much more.
Thanks, that's some good basics for how to play.

That FAQ also mentioned that you could stay flagged as No-PVP after level 5 if you choose and be completely off limits to gankers... is that accurate? I think I can live with the system they have setup, but I would like it more if I never have to have a chance of someone else killing me.

Edit: Found this which seems to have up to date info. No way to avoid PVP entirely, but the penalties for killing someone who hasn't fought back seem to be strong enough to help in most cases. In particular the fact that they remove the location marks on the map for other players when that happens is good as I was worried about the fact a griefer would know where everyone on the server is.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

How much do you lose if someone kills you?
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

wonderpug wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:55 pm How much do you lose if someone kills you?
If you do get killed, death isn’t a massive setback either. You drop all of your Junk on death, which is used to craft and build, but no weapons, caps, or other valuables. You can then respawn at the closest fast travel point for free, or a farther one at a small Cap cost, at which point you can run back and pick up your Junk if you choose to -- though it will probably have been looted if you died in PvP.
Junk really only stays with you until you break it down at a crafting station, so, in most cases, losing it won't be too severe.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 11:02 am
Max Peck wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 10:45 am My initial impression from the teaser is that they may be doing a settlement management simulation, expanding on that aspect of Fallout 4.
A fallout game I am fine with skipping. This... bothers me.
I failed at the skipping. Pre-ordered. I am weak.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:46 pm I failed at the skipping. Pre-ordered. I am weak.
heh. Yeah, I too had lofty ambitions of letting this release and taking my time to decide, based on gameplay, if this would really be a Fallout game for me, but a few screenshots and the beta for preordering were all it took to break me.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:49 am
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:08 pm Whoops -- Fallout 76 bug accidentally deletes beta:
This did screw over a lot of people, who found themselves starting a 47GB download when they expected to play during the initial 4-hour beta period. To make up for that, Bethesda has added 4 hours to the next beta period on 1 Nov, so the servers will be up 2PM-11PM instead of the originally scheduled 2PM-7PM. It still sucks for people with slow broadband and/or data caps though.
Can you imagine the tears from SmooveB if that hit him?
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Sepiche wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:52 pm
coopasonic wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:46 pm I failed at the skipping. Pre-ordered. I am weak.
heh. Yeah, I too had lofty ambitions of letting this release and taking my time to decide, based on gameplay, if this would really be a Fallout game for me, but a few screenshots and the beta for preordering were all it took to break me.
Heh. I've never played a FPS or a MMO that I didn't suck at, so it still looks like an easy pass for me. But then, I'm still "only" about 60 hours into FO4 with lots and lots of gameplay still ahead of me -- even ignoring settlement-building, I tend to do every quest and explore every location and I have barely followed the main storyline at all yet -- and after that there's that New California mod to look forward to. So there's plenty of Wasteland out there without buying into the endless die-respawn-die cycle that is online shooters.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I'm on as Sepiche and am planning on playing this as much as I can while it's online tonight if anyone wants to try grouping up.