Warhammer Inquisitor

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: Warhammer Inquisitor

Post by GreenGoo »

The loot colours are taking some getting used to. When was the last time that green items were better than blue items? 15 years ago? Never? Annoying for no good reason.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

my ninja assassin jumps and charges all over the place. With the assassin power sword you can jump and charge and the jump poisons everyone nearby. I never have time to dodge I am slamming things and charging and then using execute when it pops (a skill tree).

I use stealth suit exclusively, the other assassin armors kinda suck for me. So i stealth in, pop digital weapons and then jump in with a quick trigger on an innoculator. Wathout though not all innoculators heal some come with just damage amp. Later on you can change what kind of innoculator components but not what type.....so if it has a healing slot you can swap out healing types but not change it to damage amp or vice versa.

Join cabal when you have a chance I am interested what the benefits are from tech tree.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

ah hah! So that's it. I knew the crusader got a jump attack, I presumed the Assassin wouldn't get one because the dodge mechanic fulfills much the same role (quickly close range for melee attacks).

Cool.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Assassins get 3 types of two handed swords and multiple types of 1 handed (dual wield) weapons all with different mechanics/abilities. I am bringing along a stealth assassin power sword and sniper rifle ( just got an advanced needler sniper rifle which is pretty different from regular sniper rifle)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Beware the Inquisitor girded in power armour and a giant sword.

Beware...Billy!

The Crusader melee is much more satisfying than the Psyker hybrid melee.

Just need a life leech or other healing while in combat mechanism and it's just about perfect.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Jaddison, I have another question. It appears that the attribute points are shared across all characters. I.e. when you unlock an attribute point to spend, you can only do that particular unlock once, total, for your account, and not once per character.

Right now I have an extra attribute point waiting to be spent, and every time I make a new character that unspent attribute point is available to the new character. Considering the attributes themselves are different depending on your class, I'm confused as to why attribute points would be shared across characters.

What am I missing?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

While I haven't tried every class' subclass yet, I've come close, and I think I can say that the assault crusader is without question the most powerful character straight out of the box. I realize this is just the beginning levels and easy by design, and later on cover and suppression play far greater roles, but still, the power of the assault crusader is just insane right now. Carving through even the elites and boss types without even blinking. Everyone is dead within seconds of jumping on them. Maybe some of the tougher enemies have lasted as much as 5 seconds, if I'm busy with their henchdudes and not focus firing them.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

it gets harder as you go but it is all doable through last boss battler- after which you need to grind to 1100.

Once you get Uthers tarot you can use glory to handcraft a mission for high level gear. You use the cards to specify what types of gear may be won.

Nope you aren't missing anything on attribute points- as an altholic had I known this I might have powered through unlocks.....but then theywould all start out pretty overpowered.....but that does mean powering though beginning content FAST.

Please ask to join cabal, I can't invite and I think a lot of what you are doing meets what the current cabal mission is looking for.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

My bad. The truth is most of my gameplay today was just starting new characters through chapter 1, so I've barely seen the bridge of the ship.

I forgot. I'll probably be back playing in a few hours. Will join then.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

once you get to 15 or so there is a lot going on on the bridge.

Oh and somewhere north of 15 you will get to your first moral "choice" which is either Puritan or Radical path. However once you choose always pick that path for a decision so you keep going down that path- splitting does not work except to subtract for from your current path.
Radical to me looks more offensive oriented and Puritan more defensive.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I did see the puritan/radical split but I didn't know how that applied in game.

In lore it's conservative (no xeno tech, ever) vs. progressive (some xeno tech, when it helps).
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

same here but it seems xeno is offensively oriented and puritan is defense.

Example- with the very first decision you will get a bonus. For Radical it is 10% warp damage. For Puritan is 10% warp defense
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Time to compare the Crusader melee to the Assassin melee.

LSP, aka Lumpy Space Princess has arrived to set things right on the Martyr and in the Caligari sector.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

On the one hand, the Assassin is very cool. Dual wielding builds "marks" on her target that can be stacked and then consumed by an attack that adds bonus damage based on the marks. She also gets a giant sword like the crusader and can leap into combat just like her well armoured counter-part.

With that said, hasn't the leather clad dominatrix been done to death? It may be lore appropriate given how old WH40K is, but man, I've had enough of stiletto heels, tight leather and gimp masks to last me a life time. It's simply cliche at this point, and in my opinion it was never cool. I give Dungeon Keeper's Dark Mistress a pass because, well, I don't know why. DUNGEONS I guess.

Her wiggle is a bit much as well. She's a swordsman of death, not a sex doll, even if her idle animation is very cool and illustrates exceptional flexibility.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

And...for reasons that aren't quite clear, you're limited to 6 characters. My dreams of a tarantula dropping space marine inquisitor have been dashed.

Or have they? I never liked Orgalorg in the first place. The Inquisitor sales team is happy to greet its newest member...Beemo!
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

the 6 character limit sucks...though after playing and deleting more than a few to try out the types I don't think I care anymore that I can only have 6. If there were different missions or something for classes it would make 6 really limiting.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Jaddison wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:49 pm the 6 character limit sucks...though after playing and deleting more than a few to try out the types I don't think I care anymore that I can only have 6. If there were different missions or something for classes it would make 6 really limiting.
Right, and I can't help but notice that all the things that make each subclass unique are actually part of their gear, which is interchangeable. So while I like the idea of having 1 character of each subclass to play, the reality is I can just put on a different set of armour and now instead of dropping tarantulas into the fray, I can fire artillery missiles.

Another aspect that defines subclasses are which skill trees they have open, but since you can unlock all the trees (at least, it appears you can) then again, you can put points in the assassin melee tree even if you're a sniper, then equip a sword instead of a rifle and suddenly you're a ninja.

So I agree that it doesn't really matter much that you are limited, as you can just turn your heavy gunner into an assault crusader by putting on the assault armour and picking up a sword and shield. Of course I don't believe you can get your skill points back once they're spent, so if you leveled to 20 putting all your points into ranged combat, trying to become a melee expert might not be as effective as you'd like.

Still, in the end the subclasses are just superficial specializations, and you can essentially change subclasses on the fly, just by changing your clothes.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I applied to the cabal
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I noticed the cabal has it's own tech tree. I don't know what it does, but that's weirdly interesting. How many games give your guild/clan/faction its own tech tree?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Any penalty for dying? I cranked the difficulty up last night and eventually died (multiple times in fact) to an optional mission task. As melee I had little option but to simply sit there and tank the incoming damage while I poured on my own dps. Was a dps race that I lost because of the mission difficulty. This mission was the first real challenge I had seen in the game. I had to kite, I had to hit and run and I had to use my consumables. Was a big change, and much more enjoyable.

With that said, what am I losing by dying, and what am I gaining by cranking the difficulty up? I think it was 3x or 4x my character's power rating, if that makes sense to anyone.

Thank goodness for kiting and default increased healing rate while out of combat, is all I'm gonna say.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

once/if we get to a place where we have to select a path on tech tree we can vote
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I don't really get the suppression shield. It's not hard to imagine scenarios where being 100% immune from damage from a certain direction would be extremely valuable, especially against any enemy abilities with a huge windup and long cooldown, but the immunity is only about 0.5 seconds long, and you need to make sure you turn towards the attack before you use it. That doesn't sound like a big deal, but I have been playing with "always face the cursor" turned off, which means I'm using the movement keys to change directions, which is sort of slow. I mean, it's fast enough for most combat, but for that emergency "I'm gonna die if I don't block this attack" it's slow and clunky. That means I can either face my cursor 99% of the time I don't need or want to just so I can be ready for that 1% of the time, or I can just hope for the best with it turned off.

It's probably just getting used to the game, controls and combat, but it still feels slightly off. I'll chalk this one up to "we'll see. Right now, I don't like it".
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

there is a penalty for dying 3 times on a random assignment (which if you haven't found yet you can get from Astropath. This is a linked set of missions that give a lot of glory, however you can only die twice- third time you fail. You have to make decisions before some these missions as well which can swing how well you are doing overall.

I was using a shield with my crusader and then dropped if for two handed carnage. I use a shield as my belt power and pop it before a big fight. Two handed mahem, be it sword, axe or hammer is just too fun
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Ice Bear...or make that Lord Ice Bear you are now one of the chosen.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Jaddison wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:51 pm Ice Bear...or make that Lord Ice Bear you are now one of the chosen.
lol
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

So I just ran 3 characters through the same 2 missions, back to back. The first mission was at +50 and the second mission was at +100. Not a surprise, but the game totally changes when you're taking more damage and doing less. Cover becomes more important (just to recover health even, although damage reduction is huge while recovering). You can't just stand toe to toe with Chaos Ogryns and hope it works out.

Everyone had an easy time with the first mission. The HP bar actually moved, but at no point was the outcome in question.

The second mission was a different story.

First run through was with the Assault Crusader (Billy!) with a power level around 67. He struggled, died several times and generally had a bit of a rough go. The most noteworthy issue was getting into melee range fast enough to avoid getting pounded before he engaged. He can jet in, but that uses focus, and focus recovers at a fixed, slow rate. It's fine for 1 or 2 encounters, but if you're trying to progress quickly (a staple of ARPGs, even this one to a certain extent) it's a choke point.

Next was the melee assassin (LSP!) with a power level around 80-90. This went a little easier, mostly because she has more options for getting into and out of melee combat range. She still died several times and I had a hard time figuring out if her dual wield or giant sword weaponry was more effective. Much easier than the melee crusader.

Last was the sniper (Lady Rainicorn!) with a power rating of about 87. It wasn't even a contest. She never died, and if she had time to charge up her aimed shot fully (3 seconds, an eternity) she could almost 1 shot anyone with a suppression bar (i.e. champions/elites). She couldn't quite 1 shot rebel guardsmen with her default single shot and that was a bit of a problem, but thank god for explosive shot. Unsurprisingly she had a little trouble (well, not really, just slow going) with horde beasties, but she was able to kill more and be at risk less than either of the melee characters. Also, as the third time doing the mission, I had much more awareness as to the risks and advantages of the map and spawns.

The melee classes are fun, and the combat is satisfying, but at this stage (still the very beginning of the game really) the sniper had them all easily beat.

I didn't try the ranged crusader (Gunter!) or the pure caster (Abracadaniel!) mostly because I still am not comfortable with configuring the Psyker powers and I ran out of time anyway.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

my guy with assault armor recharges fast enough that I am always jumping in.....popping my shield or digital weapons and then pounding and if it is a yellow or red elite getting ready to pop the innoculator sooner rather than later because it buys me more time even if the damage rate in is higher than the heal rate. I also have the HP and Defense lines up to the max so my crusader can last a bit no matter the pounding. Only warp damage really erodes the HP bar fast

The Power assassin sword is were it is at. Tried the dual wield but it wasn't for me. This works well with the execution skill tree.

Wait until you get the needler assassin rifle that has a poison explosion round that can take out a clustered group of any size.....stealth into range hit with that and run.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I just did the mission where you have to clear out the tech-priest base while looking for someone who can help you track the Martyr. I did it with my heavy gunner and a heavy flamer. It was a pretty big challenge, with lots of DoTing enemies and running away. The final boss was more than a handful and when I got tired of kiting, he killed me. Luckily they don't heal between rezzes so when I got back in the fight I just picked up where I left off and eventually put him down.

This was at +100 and it was very challenging. Not sure if a Lasgun or Autogun would have been a better option, but I stubbornly stuck with the flamer just to see how effective it was in different situations.

The heavy flamer looks fantastic. The flames are very scary looking and the visuals are great. As far as effectiveness, it was ok. The DoT wasn't great on champions, but crushed the hordes easily and did fine versus the regulars. I thought WH40K flame throwers were plasma based, but I wouldn't say these are given how slowly they took down the tougher baddies. The flamer melted the hordes, but then even the sniper rifle can handle hordes pretty easily.

I'm starting to get the sense that I need single dps for champs and good to great AoE for the champs supports, which tend to be regulars with lasguns that hurt in numbers. Hordes have yet to even begin to threaten any of my characters. Champs are tough. Champ supports are weak and die fast, but you can't let them live very long because they hurt in numbers.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The game has so many weird game systems embedded in it.

I'm now seeing Priority Assignments, that are randomly generated mini-campaigns made up of several chained missions. They give weekly glory and sector influence (whatever that is).

Like many things in the game, they are kinda opaque and confusing.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

you can do up to 3 priority missions a week which is actually a 4-5 linked mission challenge that must be done in 12 hours.

So far as I can tell this is the only way to earn those cabal mission/task things we need 120 of.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:15 am I thought WH40K flame throwers were plasma based, but I wouldn't say these are given how slowly they took down the tougher baddies. The flamer melted the hordes, but then even the sniper rifle can handle hordes pretty easily.
Because I am the WH40K nerd in the room... *pushes up glasses*

WH40K flamers are promethium fueled. They use the promethium to fuel the plasma generators but the plasma guns use some sort of hydrogen fuel. Promethium is basically super concentrated napalm that burns under water and gets like 900 degrees hot.

You guys are making me want to buy this game (again). I had it for PC, but returned it. Now I want to get it on the PS4, because it would be a lot more fun on the bigger screen, IMHO.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Sounds... complex... but interesting. How much do you think this would appeal to someone who is only somewhat familiar with the whole WH40K thing? :think:
-mf
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:19 pm Sounds... complex... but interesting. How much do you think this would appeal to someone who is only somewhat familiar with the whole WH40K thing? :think:
Not much, to be honest. There's a decent to good game in there, but it's wrapped in so much WH40K and confusion that without the WH40K the confusion just isn't worth it, imo.

I know without the WH40K I wouldn't even own it, let alone be playing it, but with it, suddenly things are worth figuring out.

The more I think about your question the less sure I am that I have an answer for you. It's not an ARPG in the same vein as Diablo 3 or even Grim Dawn. In some ways it's more like doing Xcom missions in real time with a single character. Don't read too much into that, it's not Xcom by an stretch, but the missions are sort of constructed the same way. Move around, aggro a group of baddies, kill them, move to the next part of the map, do it again, find the points of interest, do whatever they require, end mission, collect mission rewards (cash, exp, items), go back to bridge of your ship and figure out what you're going to do next.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

As far as complex goes, I haven't even touched on crafting yet. Mostly because I don't understand it. Looking at the inoculator station made me want to run away.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Thanks GG. :wink:
-mf
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

crafting is pretty simple even though the setup makes it look like it isn't.
You can buy blueprints from the merchant or get them as drops. Purple blueprints have only been drops.
You pick up 3 types of basic crafting material as drops on missions then you go to the crafter- Omikron (once you rescue him) and the available blueprints you have will be there- all green blueprints ar eprduced instantly, purples are 15 minutes
There are also upgrades for crafting which are just a lot of credits- I have purchased them all now but don't really know if they have made a huge difference. You do sometimes get crafting accelerator drops that cut the 15 minute wait for purples to 0.

I have crafted a fair number of things......if I have a green slotted that is two levels below my current level I craft one and it is always better.

Fusion has been my favorite- you can take an artifact level thing and use other orange/artifact level items and fuse them into your artifact which boosts it. You have only a certain amount of bost available per artifact and then you can't boost it anymore.

FWIW, I am not big into Warhammer but have really enjoyed this anyway. It is a much different pace than Diablo and it's clones
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'm looking for a payment overview guide that explains for beginners how everything works and fits together.

Has any seen something like this?

The community is small so it doesn't seem to support the kind of analysis I like.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

not sure about a guide....I just bumble along after deleting my first 3 or 4 alts

btw, when you get to 1100 and meet the Dark Eldar it gets hard even when you think it should be easy. Doable but lots more to think and also hit and get out
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yeah, I'm not even at 200 yet, so it'll be awhile.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I've been spending some time with 2 of my ranged characters and 2 of my melee characters, and I'm finding myself gravitating towards the melee assassin. She's fun, mobile and deadly. She's still vulnerable and still needs to hit and run tougher targets, but her mobility and ease of handling anything less than the elites means she moves along at a good pace even in a game where the pace is intentionally slowed. She's just shy of level 9 with about 220 power rating. Obviously still a rookie but she's moving up at a quicker pace than the rest of them, in part because I enjoy playing her more than the others right now.

I hear that psykers are almost completely broken (i.e. overpowered) when they reach higher levels but my lack of understanding and avoidance of the learning curve has kept me away thus far.

I'm a little surprised at how many bugs and balance issues still exist but are planned to be fixed. I thought the game had time to bake a little longer from release to the time I picked it up, but apparently not. There is an aoe bug for psykers that means they are doing several orders of magnitude more damage than intended. That's pretty broken.