Star Trek Adversaries

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Star Trek Adversaries

Post by Daehawk »

https://store.steampowered.com/app/8150 ... versaries/

Its free to play on Steam. its a Trek based card style game. Wondering if anyone has taken it for a spin. I found it through a YT live stream of it. I love Star Trek but dislike card games to an extreme but dangit its Trek lol.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
gbasden

Re: Star Trek Adversaries

Post by gbasden »

Another FTP Hearthstone clone? No thanks.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I've never played Hearthstone, so this is strictly from POV of a Trekker.

The random heads giving advice in the tutorial is very distracting. They didn't even bother with Star Trek Timelines using some giant wormhole timehole thingie to explain the mixing of the universes. You just have random people pop up, all recognizable ones, but instead of like one captain explaining it all, they have Kirk explaining one thing, Sisko another, then Spock, then McCoy, then Chapel, then Chakotay, then Janeway, then Quark, then Odo... it's as if they need to namedrop everybody in the tutorial.

The actual game is somewhat interesting. From what I can gather, you start with 30 cards and a NX-class starship as your flagship. You randomly draw 6 cards, could be crew or ship. You deploy ships to act as "guardians", i.e. they soak up the damage so your flagship doesn't take the hit. Then your ships shoot at the enemy guardian, defeat it, until he has no more guardians, then you can shoot at the flagship directly. Take down the flagship and you win the duel. The catch is of course every turn you can deploy more guardians. You have special cards like dilithium which allows you to deploy extra cards/ships, and crew which enhances the power of existing ships. Some ships are more powerful on the attack than defense, some are the other way, and other ships have special attacks like disable enemy ships (esp. guardians), cloak (hides from damage, but leaves flagship exposed), and so on.

The trick is obviously hope to draw good and get a fleet going that not only has huge firepower, but also disables enemy so they can't shoot back. I was doing one of the "easy tutorial adversary", Riker in a Constellation Class. Near the end game, he managed to put both Kirk and Sisko on a Runabout, and that has a firepower of THIRTEEN (most ships have only like 8 armor) which means it nukes any ship I can deploy, while have 10 hitpoints (my ships barely register like ATK 5) Fortunately, that Runabout is not a guardian, so I basically ordered all ships to attack the flagship, and managed to take out the flagship before I got wiped out.

Overall, it will take one a dozen games to understand the mechanic, and to come up with a deck that is workable. I guess they will be opening up some "ranked games" or such so you can win some cards, and/or buy packs and hope for random draws. It may be okay for play occasionally.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Already deleted it...matches dragged out too long.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Yeah, the mechanics was somehow draw the right combo of cards , i.e. enough ships on the board to blast the guardian ships so you can hit the flagship directly. It turned out to be a LONG fight.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds