Assassins Creed Odyssey

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: Assassins Creed Odyssey

Post by Smoove_B »

Ok, so this might be the best open-world game I've played that's not The Witcher. And really, the issue is the story - the Witcher blows this game out of the water. But in terms of things to do and places to see? If that's your thing, this game delivers - repeatedly. I think I put around 75 hours in playing the story and hammering out random side quests including the free (?) historical quests they added at some point. I have another ~8 hours now playing the official Legacy DLC. Haven't even touched Atlantis yet.

If Valhalla is 1/2 the game this is, it will be epic.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This game never ends! I finished the Legacy of the First Blade DLC last week and then started on Atlantis. I figured Atlantis would be similar in scope, but it's like a whole new game. I had to do like 5 hours of quests to finish the prologue for Atlantis and get started, and after another 5 hours, I'm still in Chapter 1 (of 3) for this new story line. The amount of stuff in this game is absurd!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:20 pm This game never ends! I finished the Legacy of the First Blade DLC last week and then started on Atlantis. I figured Atlantis would be similar in scope, but it's like a whole new game. I had to do like 5 hours of quests to finish the prologue for Atlantis and get started, and after another 5 hours, I'm still in Chapter 1 (of 3) for this new story line. The amount of stuff in this game is absurd!
So you are saying my idea of starting NG+ (on Hard) to experience the DLC along side the main quest may not have been well advised? I am very early in the story on the second playthrough and it feels very... familiar so I may not stick with it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think I'm at 105 hours now on a single play through. I think I finished the base game along with a ton of side quests and distractions (lots of exploring) around the 90 mark. So yeah, the last 15 hours or so has been the DLC. I can't even imagine trying to play this all again, and I'm absolutely doing it on Easy right now. I think I just hit level 60. :D
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:20 pm This game never ends! I finished the Legacy of the First Blade DLC last week and then started on Atlantis. I figured Atlantis would be similar in scope, but it's like a whole new game. I had to do like 5 hours of quests to finish the prologue for Atlantis and get started, and after another 5 hours, I'm still in Chapter 1 (of 3) for this new story line. The amount of stuff in this game is absurd!
I played the First Blades DLC and really like it. I then started Atlantis but I could never get into to it. I just didn't find the realm of the gods nor their quests as interesting. I kind of burned out on it and never finished the first area. So my DLC experience is opposite that of most popular opinion. But it was still a great game.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm absolutely burned out, but I know if I don't finish playing the Atlantis DLC right now, I never will. It still might come to that, but on Easy mode it's not frustrating me...yet. I really can't imagine playing Atlantis on Hard or NG+, honestly. The way they crafted the enemies and the powers they have to keep you on your toes was a tactical surprise.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I think I'm done. I'm at 113 hours now and I'm still not finished with the first chapter of the Atlantis story line. There's a new mechanic they just introduced that has me creeping through an area unnoticed and without killing anyone all while carrying something. After spending 110+ hours hacking and slashing my way through everything, suddenly switching to a Splinter Cell style stealth mode isn't what I'm looking for. There's still 2 more full chapters of Atlantis but I just don't think I have the interest anymore to continue. Based on the global achievement listings, I'm not alone.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh gosh. Ya know, 5 years later this has re entered my head.

Soon as I finish some stuff up first. Instead of playing, or trying to play Valhalla, I'll go back and play Odyssey instead. Like I was originally going to do.

This is one of the 4 or so games I was playing when my wife died 5 years ago and I dropped a lot of life and would not go back. But it has returned to my head and I am thinking of it. Bet its patched up good now. I only got to play for 2 - 4 days back then. Got off the main isle and onto the one where my true father was. Then my life's rug was pulled from beneath me.

I think its nearing time to go back to this age and play the game my wife bought me to make me happy. To do the journey and see where it leads. Maybe it will surprise me when I do. Origins did. I hope Odyssey will too.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:04 pm Oh gosh. Ya know, 5 years later this has re entered my head.

Soon as I finish some stuff up first. Instead of playing, or trying to play Valhalla, I'll go back and play Odyssey instead. Like I was originally going to do.

This is one of the 4 or so games I was playing when my wife died 5 years ago and I dropped a lot of life and would not go back. But it has returned to my head and I am thinking of it. Bet its patched up good now. I only got to play for 2 - 4 days back then. Got off the main isle and onto the one where my true father was. Then my life's rug was pulled from beneath me.
erits nearing time to go back to this age and play the game my wife bought me to make me happy. To do the journey and see where it leads. Maybe it will surprise me when I do. Origins did. I hope Odyssey will too.
I liked Odyssey more than Origins. Both are great, but Odyssey just seemed so much more free to me. The Greek isle are a fantastic setting that just never seemed to get old for me.
FTE
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I tried replaying this recently. While I got quite a bit further than my two previous efforts, I think found it very dull and repetitive after about 20 hours.

It looks great, but the gameplay loop is just so incredibly repetitive. Go to map marker, scout enemies with bird, kill enemies (via stealth, brute force, or both), take the treasure chest (usually with minimal rewards), rinse, repeat. The forts and legendary creatures are a little more difficult, but it's still just doing the exact same thing over and over again. There's very little variation at all between the first time you do it and the 200th. Sure you might have a few additional abilities, but nothing really changes. Side missions might get set up with 30 seconds of backstory, but they all boil down to doing to exact same thing as well. The actual story elements they drop in are well done, but they seemed to be so few and far between the bajillion map markers and repetitive tasks the same expects you to chase.

This isn't unique to Odyssey, I've had that same issue with every AC game I've played. Origins is the only one that kept me interested throughout, mainly because of the strong main story and characters.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.