Assassins Creed Odyssey

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Asharak

Re: Assassins Creed Odyssey

Post by Asharak »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:06 pm I killed two of the sharks with my bow while standing on the wooden posts. They weren't much of a challenge from there.
See, that's the sort of thing that would have helped. I had no idea I could shoot them from out of the water. Thanks!
Asharak wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:35 pm You probably have another 4-5 hours before you get to the first big battle. You may just want to turn some more settings down for that. I'm also running a 970 and my system was *not* happy.
I'll report back once I get to it. I'm assuming you're talking about the fairly-obvious nations-at-war tutorial section. I just arrived there and have to do all the weakening-the-enemy stuff first before I can trigger that.

- Ash
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

A few more unrelated thoughts as I quit for the night:

- I meant to go to bed two hours ago. So, that's a good sign?

- Another annoyance of previous AC games that they've fixed: there's now a proper save system, with both manual and quick saves, and even more importantly, when I load a previously saved game, I am actually standing where I saved, not in some other roughly-in-the-same-area part of town.

- The visual storytelling in conversations is much better. Facial animations are better and the characters do more physical movement while conversing. It's probably not up to BioWare standards, but it's more engaging than other games.

I played eight hours today and am now about level 10.5. Just about done the game's second area. The first thing to do tomorrow is the "big battle" nation-conquest thing. At this pace, 50 hours or so for the main story seems reasonable, unless leveling slows down significantly as the game progresses.

- Ash
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

hepcat wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:41 pm Are they still keeping the animus database out of the game? Another thing I sorely missed from Origins was the wealth of historical data that would appear in my database that I could refer to at any time. Sure, they added a guided tour of Egypt as a free DLC for owners of Origins, but it was a half hearted solution that really only captured a drastically small percentage of the other games' historical info.
No database but on the map if you mouse over a landmark it gives background info on it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'm up to 15th level now and things are just starting to fall into place story-wise and I think I am getting a better handle on the quests. I am not sure I can describe what I figured out, but there are a bunch of quests in my quest log that I completely ignore and once in a while I complete one by accident. I'll check the map to see if there is a quest marker nearby and go kill whoever is there. Sometimes I get a bounty and sometimes I don't. OK, so I haven't gotten a handle on it, but it isn't bothering me anymore. If you are OCD about quests, avoid the quest boards because you will go insane.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Got up to level 12 and entering Phokis now. Still really enjoying the game. I am probably going to start focusing on pirating here in a little bit to try to raise funds, materials and so forth.

-I've invested in getting my guys gear up pretty good. I upgraded rare + epic + legendary gear. Basically the best i have. Am low on hides now, so will have to wait on that.

- i did buy a heavy axe that was epic that i found. Cost me about 1500 gold. But its pretty awesome swinging that stuff around with an active dodge and parry. It's a definite beast to ward off people in choke points. By far my favorite type of weapon so far.

-dont forget about engravings guys, those help boost stuff. Right now am using more Adrenaline generating, armor boosting, and dmg boosting engravings

-still getting a handle on parrying, it's getting better, and the openings it creates is pretty awesome.

-am probably going to lean into a more warrior build, since the spartan kick is fun.

- i did pick up poison off the assassin tree, and i have to say that its quite helpful. I've used it very effectively against the mercs and bosses who come your way.

- second wind (the heal, second row left in warrior tree) is pretty awesome. Pick it up. Really helps you in the battles.

-still haven't used shield breaker yet. But i will.

- I want to try switching up your skills mid combat. I think if you can switch your skills on the fly. That would be pretty sweet.

-still digging the environment (i seriously disliked Origins settings; namely I live in a desert, so it was like "hey i am looking outside my window" and I've overindulged with egypt stuff over the last 20 years). Anyway, the greeek setting is pretty awesome. My dudette is looking very hoplite/spartany in her get up.

-the mass combat was pretty awesome at the conclusion of the 2nd tutorial area. Looking forward to the next one.

- does anyone know if you can have more than 4 lieutenants stored up? Or are you stuck with those 4 and they are also your reserves? I managed to pick up two epic & legendary ones, and I was thinking of trying to stockpike ones, and just flip em in and out of the positions.

-does anyone know how to raise the levels of your lieutenants?
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Newcastle wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:58 am - second wind (the heal, second row left in warrior tree) is pretty awesome. Pick it up. Really helps you in the battles.
Yes. I think this is necessary. The game doesn't have the in-combat health regen (by thirds) that Origins had, so you've either got to be REALLY good at avoiding damage, or you're going to need the heal ability to survive in longer fights.
-still haven't used shield breaker yet. But i will.
So far, I'm finding dodging behind them or, better, parrying their attacks more than sufficient for creating openings. Using up a precious ability slot for the shield breaker skill seems unnecessary.
-the mass combat was pretty awesome at the conclusion of the 2nd tutorial area. Looking forward to the next one.
Agreed. Just did that this morning. My system handled it quite nicely... I didn't notice much of a slowdown at all. It was REALLY easy, though, having just picked up the skill that lets you do an in-combat attack for 60% of Assassin damage. The captains I had to take out never knew what hit them.
- does anyone know if you can have more than 4 lieutenants stored up?
There's a button for "dismiss all unassigned" lieutenants, so I assume that you can store them. Although, if you mean, can you have more than 8 lieutenants in total (4 assigned and 4 "waiting below decks"), I have no idea.

- Ash
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Oh, I also wanted to mention that I'm very impressed with the story so far -- for an Assassin's Creed game, at least which may be damning with faint praise, but still. There have been a couple of good choices-matter moments already. While it's possible this is a Deus Ex: Human Revolution situation, where that happens early in the game but never again, it's a good start. And while advancing the main plot is still a very small percentage of the game play, the plot hasn't pulled any punches so far. I mean, in the first 10 hours or so (major spoilers):

Spoiler:
* Your baby sibling is sacrificed to the gods.
* You are dropped off a cliff to your presumed death BY YOUR FATHER for interfering in the sacrifice of your brother.
* Oh, your father isn't actually your father.
* So, go ahead and kill him now, if you like.
That's... very Greek. I give it five hours until someone gouges out their own eyes.

- Ash
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Ash - what i meant was can you keep a pool of 28 lieutenants? I realize the max you can use at any time, even when upgraded is 4 lieuts.
Bayraktar!!!!

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm going to buy this when I get home because I am a weak-willed human being who easily succumbs to peer pressure and shiny things.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

YellowKing wrote:I'm going to buy this when I get home because I am a weak-willed human being who easily succumbs to peer pressure and shiny things.
And you can dramatically kick people a la 300 while yelling THIS... IS... SPARTA! in the privacy of your own home.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:32 pm I'm going to buy this when I get home because I am a weak-willed human being who easily succumbs to peer pressure and shiny things.
mwhahahahah

You wont regret it. It's a nice evolution of the franchise.
Bayraktar!!!!

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

You guys are killing me. I’m stuck in a traffic jam on I-10 in Alabama. No playing for me till maybe tomorrow night :|
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:24 pm You guys are killing me. I’m stuck in a traffic jam on I-10 in Alabama. No playing for me till maybe tomorrow night :|
Think that's the bad? My wife might be in labor.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Chaz wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:21 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:24 pm You guys are killing me. I’m stuck in a traffic jam on I-10 in Alabama. No playing for me till maybe tomorrow night :|
Think that's the bad? My wife might be in labor.
Alright, you win :wink:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Quick impresssions:

- It's a bigger, more polished Origins. That's a good thing considering I dumped 80 hours into Origins.

- I don't know if it's my imagination, but it feels sped up to me. Looting, running around, combat all seem to be tweaked faster (in a good way). I don't know if that's true or if I'm feeling the difference between playing on PC now vs Xbox.

- They've gotten REALLY good at rendering realistic people. I'm playing Kassandra and she feels as much like a "real" person as Aloy in Horizon: Zero Dawn. Nice that they've seemingly cracked the code on the Uncanny Valley.

Good times. I'll definitely get my money's worth out of this one.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

a few observations...

- i was able to switch out combat moves on the "action wheel" in the middle of a fight. I was fighing something, and realized that my instant assassin skill -spear grapple skill was greyed out, depriving me of 4 moves. So I switched it out with the bull charge one, bottom left on the tree. Surprised I could do it. So keep that in mind, you can swap skills in and out during fights. Just have to pause and such.

- i know have 5 lieutants. I found out that when you hire your 5th, a new row opens up, so I have slots in the pool for up to 8 now. Wonder what the cap is for lieuts in the pool. I am going to try to recruit the mercs. that come after me and see how many I can stockpile.

-not sure if i am digging the exploration mode. I generally tend to run all over maps, so not really sure if i am up for the whole guessing game the whole time i play. So, i've got guided turned on.

-still haven't done as much pirating as I'd like to. Still waiting for the right time.
Bayraktar!!!!

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Newcastle wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:22 pm a few observations...

- i was able to switch out combat moves on the "action wheel" in the middle of a fight. I was fighing something, and realized that my instant assassin skill -spear grapple skill was greyed out, depriving me of 4 moves. So I switched it out with the bull charge one, bottom left on the tree. Surprised I could do it. So keep that in mind, you can swap skills in and out during fights. Just have to pause and such.
The upgraded "man at arms ability" gives you a second melee weapon wheel. It is locked by story progression and I haven't gotten there yet, so I can't say how it works offhand.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Newcastle wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:22 pm - i know have 5 lieutants. I found out that when you hire your 5th, a new row opens up, so I have slots in the pool for up to 8 now. Wonder what the cap is for lieuts in the pool. I am going to try to recruit the mercs. that come after me and see how many I can stockpile.
I acquired a 9th lieutenant and a third row opened up so it looks like it expands as necessary just like weapon inventory.
Newcastle wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:22 pm-not sure if i am digging the exploration mode. I generally tend to run all over maps, so not really sure if i am up for the whole guessing game the whole time i play. So, i've got guided turned on.
it doesn't really make things any harder or require any more exploration really, also it only seems to affect story quests.
Newcastle wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:22 pm-still haven't done as much pirating as I'd like to. Still waiting for the right time.
There doesn't seem to be much point in pirating. Eventually it seems you will have to do some for story advancement, but not much.

I'm level 23 now and still having a blast with it. I am doing fewer sidequests since I went overboard in the first couple of major areas and overleveled. Now I can mainline it for a bit and still make good progress.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Finally home from 16 day trip. Had a hard time making my wife understand that while unloading the car was important, I really, really needed to start the download of Odyssey. Oddly, she didn't appreciate the priority :roll:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Game installed, playing now. Got through big opening battle, not as hard as I thought it might be. Next question will be (I assume), do I play the male or female character. Thoughts? Suggestions? Anyone still up this late? Bueller? Bueller?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Never mind, the decision came quickly, so I decided to go with Kassandra. Good choice, she's (I'm?) cute.

I'm really loving this game on my new GTX 1060 6GB. Running at Very High default graphics, I'm seeing about 50 fps with occasional drops into the 40s.

I'm going to take this game slow, wander around, see the sights. Hopefully I'll enjoy it as much as I did Origins.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

25 levels in 25 hours... there are still way more quests than I know what to do with but at least now there is some purpose in my gameplay. So many things to do!!!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I finally got off the prologue island and this game has its hooks in me big time. I don't really mind the vast amount of stuff to do - just kind of free-wheelin' and doing whatever I feel like. Kassandra is already way up there on my list of fave protagonists.

I'm going primarily assassin route - nothing is more satisfying than waltzing into an enemy fort and taking every soldier out without being spotted.

Whoever said this was like a blend of Origins and Black Flag was spot on. This could very well wind up being my favorite of the entire series.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Remember to update your video card drivers! I got very solid frame rates on Odyssey at almost highest settings, but Odyssey was hanging out around the 20s at similar. I started dropping things and benchmarking, but nothing made a big difference. Then I noticed the benchmark tool was showing my video driver version in bright red. Checked for updates, and apparently it had been a while. I was on 17.x (AMD card). There was a full release at 18.5, and a beta at 18.9 with Odyssey improvements. Went up to the beta version, and suddenly Very High preset was giving me average frames in the high forties, which is good enough for me.

So yeah, update your video drivers.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Whoever said this was like a blend of Origins and Black Flag was spot on.
I haven't been interested in a AC game since playing Black Flag because it was SO awesome. But you mentioned it and now Im interested in this.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Okay...noob fool question here. Never played an AC game before.

So...Action RPG...

Does that mean the gameplay of Odyssey is similar to Diablo 3? I've watched the trailer, and that's what it seems like. Is it different enough that you can recommend it over D3?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Fardaza wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:27 pm Okay...noob fool question here. Never played an AC game before.

So...Action RPG...

Does that mean the gameplay of Odyssey is similar to Diablo 3? I've watched the trailer, and that's what it seems like. Is it different enough that you can recommend it over D3?
I wouldn't compare it to Diablo in many ways except maybe in that you get a lot of loot and you have skill trees. I wouldn't recommend it over D3, it's just completely different. It is much closer to The Witcher 3, which I think it is pretty obviously inspired by.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:45 pm
Whoever said this was like a blend of Origins and Black Flag was spot on.
I haven't been interested in a AC game since playing Black Flag because it was SO awesome. But you mentioned it and now Im interested in this.
Its not black flag by any stretch. IE the sailing and such. I am only lvl 15 so things might open up further. From what I have experienced so far you can sail around and hijack ships whenever you wish. There is that element of naval combat, ie ramming, archers, flaming archers and such that was present in Black Flag. Again there might be more to sailing that i have yet to encounter. It seems AC is gating content behind levels, because I just now unlocked an interesting main quest line/activity at lvl 15.

Also massive story spoiler below; avoid at your own risk.
Spoiler:
HOLY SHIT! Diemos is alex... kassandra's bro???? Seriously ok, this got 10 times more interesting. I was thinking to myself jokingly watch during the cult member investigation area that the "mother" they were referring to was probably kassandra's. Damn I was right. Looking forward to seeing how that resolves.
Bayraktar!!!!

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm only an hour in, but I'm really liking the new terrain, so different than Origins. By the way, to anyone who hasn't played Origins but is enjoying Odyssey, it's well worth getting Origins at some point, it's my favorite game of the AC series; I might change my mind once I've played through Odyssey, but maybe not.

OK, I just turned 65 and maybe it was the way I was brought up, but it is a little disconcerting to me to be playing Kassandra when she is swimming and I'm getting a very :oops: upskirt view :roll:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

OK, I went to the Viewpoint on Zues's statue and synchronized, but I didn't see a leap of faith option. Did I miss it or are there no LOF in the game (or maybe not right now)?
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:12 pm OK, I went to the Viewpoint on Zues's statue and synchronized, but I didn't see a leap of faith option. Did I miss it or are there no LOF in the game (or maybe not right now)?
LOF is there, just have to push the right buttons. But the synchronization is also different this time around in terms of where you find them.
Bayraktar!!!!

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Newcastle wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:17 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:12 pm OK, I went to the Viewpoint on Zues's statue and synchronized, but I didn't see a leap of faith option. Did I miss it or are there no LOF in the game (or maybe not right now)?
LOF is there, just have to push the right buttons. But the synchronization is also different this time around in terms of where you find them.
Thanks, I'll look around some more.

I should mention I'm playing on Normal difficulty. I played Origins on Easy because I really wanted to enjoy the story, but I switched up to Normal later in the game because I felt like I missed some of the development of the character by not trying to challenge myself too much. I'm playing this time on Normal till I reach my level of incompetency :D

Maybe later this year or once Tax Season starts and I have some time to myself I'll replay Origins on Normal.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

jztemple2 wrote:
OK, I just turned 65 and maybe it was the way I was brought up, but it is a little disconcerting to me to be playing Kassandra when she is swimming and I'm getting a very :oops: upskirt view :roll:
I chuckled a little when I first saw that view. Then I thought of Kassandra saying "So, did you get a good look?" right before launching a Spartan kick to the balls.

Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

OK, I might have known this but forgotten. My enemies and quests are leveling up in difficulty as I level up. So there's never going to be an easy day, err, quest?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:20 pm OK, I might have known this but forgotten. My enemies and quests are leveling up in difficulty as I level up. So there's never going to be an easy day, err, quest?
I think main quests will level to match you and everything else seems to hang around 2 levels below you. On Normal none of it particularly difficult unless you let things get out of control.

For leap of faith, just jump facing a pile of soft stuff, no specific key combo. Once you have synchronized enough viewpoints you never take falling damage again so faith is no longer required.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Some of the loot I take is red and the game says I'm stealing, but I'm not seeing any bad outcome of doing it. Is this something that is more apparent later on?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Is it just me, or is it really difficult to see underwater in this game. Early quest tasked me with find a spear in an underground cave. I'm sure there's an opening somewhere in this pool I'm swimming around in, but I'll be damned if I can find it in this murky-ass water.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:11 pm Is it just me, or is it really difficult to see underwater in this game. Early quest tasked me with find a spear in an underground cave. I'm sure there's an opening somewhere in this pool I'm swimming around in, but I'll be damned if I can find it in this murky-ass water.
Agreed, it is hard to see. Adjusting the brightness might help I guess.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:05 pm Some of the loot I take is red and the game says I'm stealing, but I'm not seeing any bad outcome of doing it. Is this something that is more apparent later on?
If someone sees you steal you will get a small bounty. You have to steal a pretty good bit to make the bounty hunters care. Murder or pirating are much better ways of getting their attention.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I was trying to initiate the transaction screen with a blacksmith but unfortunately a soldier was standing a little close to me and I ended up accidently assassinating him. Surprised the hell out of me and I actually said sorry out loud as I slowly left the scene.

Black lives matter!