Assassins Creed Odyssey

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: Assassins Creed Odyssey

Post by Isgrimnur »

Those really should be different buttons.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

OK, I'm really struggling here. I'm playing on Easy and still getting my ass kick on the first big naval battle, me against about six ships. My ship has been defeated three times in a row and I have no idea how to approach this battle to keep this from happening :shock:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:15 pm OK, I'm really struggling here. I'm playing on Easy and still getting my ass kick on the first big naval battle, me against about six ships. My ship has been defeated three times in a row and I have no idea how to approach this battle to keep this from happening :shock:
I think the first battle they put you in has 3 or 4 ships, but I recall having some passing ships join in as well, so you might just be getting unlucky.

In general though:
1) Q to brace when the enemy is about to ram or land some missiles. This significantly reduces damage
2) Arrows are weaker than javelins, but longer range... I tend to use them the most
3) Javelins are shorter range, but do more damage
4) Save your rowing stamina for when an enemy ship is lined up in front of you, then hit the gas to ram
5) Once an enemy ship is reduced to 0 health, one more volley will destroy them, or board them to regain ships health. Note that all the other ships will stand by and wait until you're done boarding, so there's little risk in trying it (you know, except getting stabbed to death by the crew)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Sepiche wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:21 pm I think the first battle they put you in has 3 or 4 ships, but I recall having some passing ships join in as well, so you might just be getting unlucky.

In general though:
1) Q to brace when the enemy is about to ram or land some missiles. This significantly reduces damage
2) Arrows are weaker than javelins, but longer range... I tend to use them the most
3) Javelins are shorter range, but do more damage
4) Save your rowing stamina for when an enemy ship is lined up in front of you, then hit the gas to ram
5) Once an enemy ship is reduced to 0 health, one more volley will destroy them, or board them to regain ships health. Note that all the other ships will stand by and wait until you're done boarding, so there's little risk in trying it (you know, except getting stabbed to death by the crew)
Thanks for the info. Does the game automatically switch from arrows to javelins when you get close, or do I have to look for another button on my controller? (UPDATE: I think I see on the controller diagram that using the aiming button causes arrows to be used, while not aiming will fire javelins).

By the way, I won that battle (which it turns out I was still fighting at Normal difficulty :roll:) by running back to my opening island and going to a harbor. The enemy ships couldn't follow me in and I so could shoot at them at my leisure. They could still shoot at me but only one at a time, so I'd defeat each ship in turn then board it, which would restore my boat's health. Gamey, but I'll take it :ninja:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Question about the "Mercenaries" mini-bosses. Those strong, red icon dudes who come after you whenever you have any notoriety.

I'm very early on, and encountered my first one. I currently have one bubble of notoriety...not even sure how I got it, or if there's something I can do to get rid of it. Anyways, the Mercenary they sent is one level above me, and promptly pounded me into the dirt three times when I tried to fight him (playing on Easy, btw). I figure I'll need to complete some quests, level up, and get some better gear in order to beat him, right?

Problem is, he shows up right in the middle of every quest I attempt. Quest to eradicate everyone in a bandit camp? Mercenary rides up and starts patrolling around right in the middle of the camp. Quest to kill a specific enemy? Mercenary shows up and plops himself down literally right next to the guy I'm supposed to kill.

It's making completing quests and leveling up nearly impossible because he just follows me around and jumps in the middle of everything I'm supposed to be doing. I was still able to complete the camp eradication by sneaking around him, but it look forever.

Is this the way this system is supposed to work? If so, I really hate it. They had a somewhat similar system in Origins with the Phylakes, but they never actually chased you around. They just randomly patrolled, and were super easy to avoid. I think I only encountered two in my 40+ hours with the game. This system in Odyssey feels far more intrusive.

I also had a weird situation where an enemy was tagged in the camp, but the game wouldn't let me assassinate him. I snuck up behind him, pressed the button I've used to assassinate all the other baddies, and nothing. Tried it multiple times in different spots, and it wouldn't work. I finally just had to fight him outright, which drew the attention of the Mercenary...and he killed me. :?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Wow, you are having some really bad luck with that mercenary. Since it's your first one, that means it's on your starting island. The game (from my recent experience) doesn't expect you to try to fight this dude until you level up several times to his level. So what you have to do is avoid him by checking the map periodically and make sure you are going someplace he's not. In my first several hours in the game I think he only came close one time. And when he is close you should get a tone and a symbol on your HUD.

Regarding the Phylakes in Origins, I did have them come close from time to time, but always with enough warning to avoid them.

There is one location where you can't target what might seem like an enemy, but since he never tried to attack me I decided he was just somebody I could ignore.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

It was frustrating further in the game when you're just going about your business and trying to rob a fort and all of the sudden you're discovered by a posse composed of a captain and his shielded companions who are then joined by two mercenaries.

But now that I leveled up a little (level 10) I can hold my own a bit longer and I enjoy the challenge. I also believe that there is no dishonor in running away which I've done mid quest. I'm glad you start with the ability to pass the time from day to night rather than having to invest in an ability point for that power since going into a fort filled with soldiers, mercenaries, and random angry dogs during the day is the height of hubris which didn't work out well for Icarus.

Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

@JZ - With naval battles its important to focus on 1 ship only, board it and fight it down. Now, after you've boarded it and vanquished that boat when you return to your boat your boat will have full health. Beat a boat= get full health. So when you are fighitng multiple ships focus on 1 and work from there.

-re: the javelins, there is some way to trigger them, I want to say they are L2 and R1. I am a bit confused on that myself.

@Skinny Puppy
-if you loot/steal things you are bound to increase your notoriety
-if you engage in piracy against the big states your notoriety will go up.

-There is a way to pay off your notoriety, I think its in your mercernary screen.

-When fighting the mercenary, learn how to use the parry. Learn when to identify an attack coming in. The first one or two is probably harder. Also during the fights, learn how to dodge the fights. You can't go toe to toe with them initially; you really have to use all of your abilities, mainly dodging and parrying, and then striking. They are kind of long fights initially. Keep moving also. And when you do fight him, make sure you are in a cleared area so you dont have additional mobs joining the fight.

-you can also start the fight on your own terms. If so, stalk them, when they are in a clear area, sneak up and assassinate attack them. They wont die, but they will get hit for a good chunk of health.

-you might think of changing your skills. I took poison and I think that's been very helpful. If you can take 2nd wind (2nd row, left in warrior tree) grab that.

-Parry, dodge, time slows down hit em with a 1-2 heavy attacks, back up. Rinse and repeat.

-They will also glow a small reddish color if they are starting an attack that will land. at that point. dodge out of the way. I tend to dodge forward through them, and then I have a clear shot at their backside.

-let me repeat....parry and dodge, dodge and parry! One more time...parry and dodge! :mrgreen:

-also when backpedalling away from them I would fire off arrows at them to whittle down their health.

Hope this helps.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

In addition to the useful tips that Newcastle has posted, you can also get information about the mercenaries tracking you (in the mercenaries menu) which list their strengths and weaknesses. Some are vulnerable to assassination attacks while others are less so. Some hate fire, some don't mind getting poisoned, etc.

Can you recruit mercenaries? I've tried to knock them out when they have low health but the "knockout" icon doesn't pop up while I'm frantically pressing L3 (playing on PS4). I don't think my knockout arrows were working either.

I enjoy recruiting random folks like Jesus recruiting Apostles, "Come walk away from this life and follow me!" the difference being that I'm recruiting you for a life of piracy and plunder. But the salt air is nice and we have a good group of singers on board my ship.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:09 pm Question about the "Mercenaries" mini-bosses. Those strong, red icon dudes who come after you whenever you have any notoriety.
You get notoriety by doing bad things in view of someone. Stealing only gets you a tiny bit, but killing will give it a good boost.

The easiest way to deal with them is to pay off the bounty. Open the map and IIRC it should show you a button to hold to "Pay all bounties".

The next easiest way to deal with them is just to kill them... they aren't very alert, and you can usually sneak up and at least land a solid assassin blow that should make the battle easier. (Edit: I should also mention this doesn't actually reset the notoriety, you kill the mercenary, but the contract remains)

Lastly, it takes a little more leg work, but if you have a bounty there will be someone, somewhere who put it on you. They are designated with a little red bag of gold on the map, and if you go there and kill them the bounty will be cleared.

Edit: Notoriety also drops slowly over time, but it's pretty darn slow.
Last edited by Sepiche on Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Sepiche wrote:
Skinypupy wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:09 pm Question about the "Mercenaries" mini-bosses. Those strong, red icon dudes who come after you whenever you have any notoriety.
You get notoriety by doing bad things in view of someone. Stealing only gets you a tiny bit, but killing will give it a good boost.

The easiest way to deal with them is to pay off the bounty. Open the map and IIRC it should show you a button to hold to "Pay all bounties".

The next easiest way to deal with them is just to kill them... they aren't very alert, and you can usually sneak up and at least land a solid assassin blow that should make the battle easier.

Lastly, it takes a little more leg work, but if you have a bounty there will be someone, somewhere who put it on you. They are designated with a little red bag of gold on the map, and if you go there and kill them the bounty will be cleared.
It was a good bit of work but doing the last option and killing the guy who was bankrolling the bounty was quite satisfying.
Black lives matter!

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

So I'm a tad confused on the repercussions of doing thing against "your" side.

Example - I fought with Sparta and helped weaken an Athenian leader. But later on while exploring I saw a Spartan fort location with location objectives so I went in and did them. Which weakened the Spartan leader in turn.

Am I hurting myself in any way by not picking one side or the other and sticking with it? I don't want to be running around trying to get 100% location completion and find out I made my conquest battles significantly harder by accident.

I'm an equal opportunity assassin, so I just want everyone to die.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I got my free Uplay reward of a female assassin crew, so the sea shanties are sung by female voices which is pretty cool :D
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

YellowKing wrote:So I'm a tad confused on the repercussions of doing thing against "your" side.

Example - I fought with Sparta and helped weaken an Athenian leader. But later on while exploring I saw a Spartan fort location with location objectives so I went in and did them. Which weakened the Spartan leader in turn.

Am I hurting myself in any way by not picking one side or the other and sticking with it? I don't want to be running around trying to get 100% location completion and find out I made my conquest battles significantly harder by accident.

To quote a wise man, "War. War never changes." Which means that the war between Athens and Sparta will hum along just fine and not really penalize you for indulging in your mercenary nature. Sure, they'll probably hire a mercenary to try to take you down but a few drachmas or a well placed blade in the throat of a patron will take care of that.
Black lives matter!

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:48 pm So I'm a tad confused on the repercussions of doing thing against "your" side.

I suspect at some point the region control with tie into the story (more than just the initial Megara region anyway), but so far it seems to just be a way to trigger a battle for the region which gives you purple drops. No downside to backing anyone as you can just put the other faction in control later if you want.

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:54 pm I got my free Uplay reward of a female assassin crew, so the sea shanties are sung by female voices which is pretty cool :D
Hehe I'm using them too. Prettier sea shanties that way at any rate and, although the game says they are just for decoration, I swear they kick a lot more ass during boarding than the default crew, but that could just be my imagination.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

$iljanus wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:57 pm

Can you recruit mercenaries? I've tried to knock them out when they have low health but the "knockout" icon doesn't pop up while I'm frantically pressing L3 (playing on PS4). I don't think my knockout arrows were working either.
I've been able to recruit 2. The L3 command is a bit wonky, and doesnt seem to react right away. But I've been able to do it. You have to pretty much finish them w/ a spartan kick and when they are flat on their back hit L3. I think there is a delay for it to trigger. I've been able to do it, cant tell you how exactly.
Bayraktar!!!!

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Newcastle wrote:
$iljanus wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:57 pm

I've been able to recruit 2. The L3 command is a bit wonky, and doesnt seem to react right away. But I've been able to do it. You have to pretty much finish them w/ a spartan kick and when they are flat on their back hit L3. I think there is a delay for it to trigger. I've been able to do it, cant tell you how exactly.
Thanks! I'll keep trying then. There's no shortage of mercenaries that will keep coming for me and hopefully I'll "convince" some of them to sail with me.
Black lives matter!

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I just used Rush Assassination for the first time. Holy Zeus, it's pretty powerful!

By the way, I'm finding myself not using Engraving very much. It costs money and sometimes resources and it seems that I'm getting new weapons at a pace that I feel like I'm wasting the effort on a weapon I'm going to replace soon anyway. Am I missing something?
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

The engraving will stick if you upgrade a weapon. I've found a few that I've liked and upgrading isn't too horrid. Also, it's not that expensive to re-engrave, and the engravings get more powerful as you level.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So I've played almost eleven hours. I've done my first Conquest battle, helping the Spartans take Megaris. Now I have to decide whether to leave Megaris for the next two accessible story quests in a province a ways away from me, or go complete all the actions I can do in Megaris while I'm here. I'm a bit of a completionist so I feel like I ought to go visit all the "?" locations in Megaris and check out the message boards as well. Is there any downside to this? I'm at level 10 right now and I figure I might gain a couple of levels doing stuff in the current province before I leave to continue with the story missions.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:47 am So I've played almost eleven hours. I've done my first Conquest battle, helping the Spartans take Megaris. Now I have to decide whether to leave Megaris for the next two accessible story quests in a province a ways away from me, or go complete all the actions I can do in Megaris while I'm here. I'm a bit of a completionist so I feel like I ought to go visit all the "?" locations in Megaris and check out the message boards as well. Is there any downside to this? I'm at level 10 right now and I figure I might gain a couple of levels doing stuff in the current province before I leave to continue with the story missions.
The downside is that you will probably burn out if you try to do everything. I think I probably still did everything in Megaris, but not for long after that. There is just so much to do and if you try to do it all you will probably get tired of it long before the story peters out. Hell at eleven hours played and in Megaris you haven't really even *started* the story.

A couple comments on stuff people have been talking about and I didn't reply because I was too busy playing (I have 42 hours played, level 38 so I have probably seen more of the game than most of you)...

Conquest Battles: They are a good way to get money and a passable way to get loot. There have been a couple times they have tied into the story, but generally speaking it seems like a way to earn money to pay off your bounties.

Bounties: If you are seen doing bad stuff you get bounties. You can get nice loot from bounty hunters. Bounties aren't all that bad. When you are done farming bounty hunters, it's easiest to pay them off if you have the money. If not, then kill the sponsor (red purse/dagger icon on the map). The sponsor is usually in a protected location like a fort. Sneak in, kill the sponsor and book it... or stick around and clear the fort for loot and xp (and completion).

Engravings: At least playing on normal they are wholly unnecessary. Hell armor is practically unnecessary. As I mentioned I am level 38. What I didn't mention is that I am wearing level 24 armor without engravings. Coop, why would you wear armor 14 levels below you and not even engrave it? Well, it turns out that I generally don't get hit so armor level doesn't really matter (screw parry, perfect dodge is your friend). Also, that level 24 armor is set armor that gives me huge bonuses to poison and OMG does poison make fights easier. Poison is more about the debuff than it is a DoT. Fire is the real DoT. Oh the set also has assassin damage bonuses on every single piece.

Upgrading equipment: The cost to upgrade Legendary equipment is stupid (in resources. money is *very* easy to come by - see conquest battles). That's all. I should probably upgrade that level 24 armor but I keep thinking I will get something better... eventually.

Piracy: The story makes you do some ship battles, outside of the story missions it seems like there are better ways to spend your time.

For context, if you haven't figured it out I am all in on assassin/sneaky murder, but when things get ugly I can still wreck large crowds with Heroic Strike and Poison. I probably shouldn't be playing on Normal. :P
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:47 am Now I have to decide whether to leave Megaris for the next two accessible story quests in a province a ways away from me, or go complete all the actions I can do in Megaris while I'm here. I'm a bit of a completionist so I feel like I ought to go visit all the "?" locations in Megaris and check out the message boards as well. Is there any downside to this? I'm at level 10 right now and I figure I might gain a couple of levels doing stuff in the current province before I leave to continue with the story missions.
I definitely wouldn't bother with the message board quests. They're basically procedurally-generated filler. The side quests that are worth doing are the scripted ones, that have black-and-gold, exclamation-point-in-a-diamond icons. It may also be worth doing the black-and-silver ones with two-arrows-pointing-in-opposite-directions icons, as those are short little quests that are meant to show the outcome of a previous choice you made (I had one that involved discovering that someone I killed had a brother and was now terrified for his own life). But that's it.

Aside from the main storyline and those quests, there's just too much to do, like coop said, to really worry about 100%ing places. I've 100%'ed a couple of the smaller islands just because it was easy. Other than that, I really just focus on stuff that has quests associated with it. There's a quest for clearing every bandit camp in Greece, for instance, and another for exploring every cave. So I do those, as well as Tombs (because they give extra Ability points), but looting every restricted building or clearing every fort is just too time-consuming.

You also don't get ahead by being a completionist: because all the quests level up with you, as long as you're not under-level for the next chapter of the story, you're good to go. Doing extra stuff to level up more will just result in the next story quest upping its own level.
coopasonic wrote:A couple comments on stuff people have been talking about and I didn't reply because I was too busy playing (I have 42 hours played, level 38 so I have probably seen more of the game than most of you)...
Geez, how are you still leveling so fast? I've played about 30 hours and am at about level 21.5.
Upgrading equipment: The cost to upgrade Legendary equipment is stupid (in resources.
This. Oh my god, this. I think it's worse because I'm using spears as my main weapon, which need wood as well other things. Basically, I can either upgrade my spear, OR I can upgrade the Adrestia, which needs obscene amounts of wood for almost anything. I've started to resort to actually buying wood from the merchants just to help with the shortage. I have tons and tons of hides and metal and so on, but not NEARLY enough wood.
jztemple2 wrote:By the way, I'm finding myself not using Engraving very much. It costs money and sometimes resources and it seems that I'm getting new weapons at a pace that I feel like I'm wasting the effort on a weapon I'm going to replace soon anyway. Am I missing something?
If you're going to replace the gear, then yeah, engraving it is probably pointless. The resource costs to engrave are fairly small, so it's not hard to do, but unless you're planning to keep the gear for a while (because its bonuses are well-matched to your playstyle, which makes it worth upgrading for a few levels rather than swapping out for a higher-level but worse-bonus item that you get as a drop), there's not much point. Especially since, as coop said, the benefits of engraving aren't very huge -- early on, at least. A lot of the bonuses are ranked and increase as you play. I imagine they might be more useful towards the end-game, when you have rank 4 or 5 engravings. For example, you can initially get +3% damage on a spear; at the top tier, I think it's +15%.

- Ash
Last edited by Asharak on Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Coop and Asharak, good info there! Thanks :D

I'm aiming to play this game for at least two or three weeks before going to something else and in a moment of weakness I bought the season pass as well :roll: so it will be on my computer for the next few months.

I'm playing on Easy simply because once I get into a battle I'm way, way too slow to keep up with the proper buttons, at least for now. Whenever I can I want to use stealth and assassination so that's where I'm putting my abilities. Conquest was a bit overwhelming till I figured out that I can keep on the edge of the battlefield and that way I only seem to be dealing with one or two guys at most.

I'm also enjoying the story line. I can't mention details without major spoilers, but now that we have a game with real decision points I'm tempted to go back and reload saves to see what would happen if I chose the other choice. But I'll try not to go down that particular sliding slope :shock:

One of the things I'm thinking about when I compare this game to Origins was that the latter seemed more focused on getting you through the campaign while giving a lot of side missions and collectables to fill out the experience. In Odyssey I'm not feeling so much of a focus, which isn't a bad thing. And throwing in some Black Flag piracy is fun too.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:23 am I'm aiming to play this game for at least two or three weeks before going to something else
Likewise. This is my "game for the month". I will have to decide between Read Dead 2 and Forza Horizon 4 for November. So AC has about that much of my attention. I haven't purchased the season pass... we'll see if I feel too burned out by how gigantic the game is when I'm done.
I'm playing on Easy simply because once I get into a battle I'm way, way too slow to keep up with the proper buttons, at least for now.
Playing on Hard, personally, and doing OK. Parry and Dodge are your friends, definitely, if you can get the hang of them. Also, when you start getting sick of people with shields, pick up that shield-breaker skill. It really is great. It's made several mercenaries much easier. Also, Hero Strike from the Assassin tree is wonderful. It's an in-combat melee attack that does 60-100% of Assassin damage, depending on your skill rank (so, basically, it's an in-combat assassination strike) WITH a knockdown. So I'll hide to open a fight with an assassination, then Hero Strike, then use my fire weapons to set them on fire before they're standing up again, then steal their shield. In total: double assassination damage, burning DoT, and their major defensive ability removed, all before the fight has really started. After that, it's just dodge-and-parry until the cooldowns on Hero Strike and Flame Weapons are done and then repeat.
One of the things I'm thinking about when I compare this game to Origins was that the latter seemed more focused on getting you through the campaign while giving a lot of side missions and collectables to fill out the experience. In Odyssey I'm not feeling so much of a focus, which isn't a bad thing. And throwing in some Black Flag piracy is fun too.
I think the difference is that Odyssey considers it's main story (AKA "your odyssey") to really only be one-third of the game. That's the narrative focus, but there are two other major plot lines that unlock later into the game. I'm not sure they're as compelling, personally, but Ubi definitely thinks there's more to focus on here than just the main story.

- Ash
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

So question to Coop since you are 38. What other mechanics have opened up for you? I'll detail my question in spoilers

So far in the game, i've come across the following:
Spoiler:
1. spear upgrades
2. cult of Kosmos
3. Ships
4. Mercenaries

Now i know the 2nd action wheel opens up after completing a few more of #2 and its tied to #1.

But are there any other mechanisms that have opened up for you that are not on this list? Simply curious. Please answer in spoilers, and then further spoiler if you think its a massive plot giveaway.
Bayraktar!!!!

Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Also regarding the engravings. I actually like a few of them. Specifically the % damage to warrior/assassin/hunter type. Also I liked the % increase to foot speed while crouched.
Bayraktar!!!!

Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Newcastle wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:21 pm Also regarding the engravings. I actually like a few of them. Specifically the % damage to warrior/assassin/hunter type. Also I liked the % increase to foot speed while crouched.
My favourites are the narrowest-focused ones that precisely match my play style. +3/6/9/12/15% Spear Damage, or +4/8/12/16/20% Burn Damage, and so on. I try to avoid the more generic ones and stack up 2-3 items with the same engraving for even more effect. The +Damage Type ones aren't bad, either, especially +Assassin Damage when combining it with Hero Strike in combat. Those can be worth several thousand extra damage per use.

- Ash
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Asharak wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:22 am
coopasonic wrote:A couple comments on stuff people have been talking about and I didn't reply because I was too busy playing (I have 42 hours played, level 38 so I have probably seen more of the game than most of you)...
Geez, how are you still leveling so fast? I've played about 30 hours and am at about level 21.5.
I can't say for sure because I don't know how you are spending your games time. I think I am just pretty efficient, trying to make every trip worthwhile, making generous use of fast travel. I do pick up message board quests, but I don't travel for them. If they are on my path I do them and the bounties are sort of self-fulfilling. I don't go out of my way for them, but take the xp as it comes.
Newcastle wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:18 pm So question to Coop since you are 38. What other mechanics have opened up for you? I'll detail my question in spoilers
I don't think there is really anything else mechanically. The stuff that opens up is more story related that gives you some different goals that take some long term effort that I don't want to spoil. Some of my comments may have hinted at more, and it feels that way but it isn't really new mechanics, perhaps revelations is a better term.

I finished Shadow of the Tomb Raider in a weekend. After a week with Odyssey I feel like I am just getting started. On a related note, doing all these and only finding ONE real puzzle kind of makes me miss that part of Tomb Raider. AC used to have more puzzles and I would love to see more of them.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:39 pm I don't think there is really anything else mechanically. The stuff that opens up is more story related that gives you some different goals that take some long term effort that I don't want to spoil.
There's one more major plot line that I've read about that I've yet to open up in my game. Assuming you've gotten there, I'm curious when the
Spoiler:
Hunting of monsters from Greek myths
Opens up?
I finished Shadow of the Tomb Raider in a weekend. After a week with Odyssey I feel like I am just getting started. On a related note, doing all these and only finding ONE real puzzle kind of makes me miss that part of Tomb Raider.
The Tombs seem to be about as close as the game gets to puzzles and they really aren't puzzle-y at all. I have been disappointed in that regard, although very happy to scoop up the Ability points regardless.

- Ash
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Asharak wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:47 pm
coopasonic wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:39 pm I don't think there is really anything else mechanically. The stuff that opens up is more story related that gives you some different goals that take some long term effort that I don't want to spoil.
There's one more major plot line that I've read about that I've yet to open up in my game. Assuming you've gotten there, I'm curious when the
Spoiler:
Opens up?
I'm level 38 and have only run into the very first of these and there was no fighting. I am guessing if you are bad at riddles it could go differently. :twisted:

Since the story quests and areas level up with you I have no idea what level you are supposed to be when you get to this part of the game. I am pretty sure I was 35 or 36 but I *think* I am over-leveled.

It's really hard to talk about anything in this game and avoid spoilers.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So I've been playing a bit this afternoon. I'm up to 12 hours played, at level eleven and 15% total progression. As coop said, it's hard to talk much about the game without revealing spoilers. However, I now have more of a feel for the structure of the game. There are the main story line quests which I'm liking, but just as in Origins, I'm not all that into some overarching main story for the game. It's good that it has it, and since for once it's not all mystic assassins and Templars stuff I might even be able to keep up with it :D. I'm really enjoy playing as Kassandra, and for the most part it's when dialog cutscenes run. It's nice having an attractive, self-confident, intelligent and assertive female protagonist, especially since I've been married to one for 39 years :wub:

I'm also enjoying the side quests and it's cool that I'm running into characters I've met on previous quests. The character animation is very well done so it's very cinematic. I'm also liking the dialog choices, although I'm wondering how different a conversation would turn out if I made some choices.

And I'm finding that infiltrating forts is as much of a challenge/grind as it was in Origins. It got rather tiresome in Origins, but maybe it won't be so bad here.

Probably the mode of the game that has the least appeal to me so far is Conquest. I've done one and I think that might be it unless I'm forced into another by the story. I suck at combat so a mode that actually requires me to fight over and over again isn't fun for me. But I definitely can see the appeal, especially if you tailor your abilities that way.

And by the way, just to make things really suck, I've got a problem with a pinched nerve that's making me have to stop playing periodically till the feeling returns to my fingers. Damn, why couldn't that have happened in the summer when nothing was being released??? :doh:
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Asharak wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:47 pm
Spoiler:
[/quote]
Spoiler:
you get that around lvl 13; in Phokis.

The starter one is killing a legendary boar on some plains. I can provide a more precise location for that questgiver later"
Bayraktar!!!!

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'm pretty sure that is not what he is asking about.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Newcastle wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:47 pm
Spoiler:

The starter one is killing a legendary boar on some plains. I can provide a more precise location for that questgiver later"
Coop is correct. I've done the quest you linked and have the subsequent series in my quest log (And, for the record, trying to do that fight even one level down was nasty. Doing it one level up was a piece of cake.) There's another, quite different series that I'm looking forward to more.

- Ash
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Au Contraire mon frere

@ Coop & Ash
Spoiler:
So the quest I mentioned was given by someone named Daphnae this was the initial one to kill that boar. After completing that quest she gives you the following LVL 39 quest " The Goddesses' Hunt "the daughters of artemis". These are 7 quests to kill "legendary creatures".
\
The quest giver is in Phokis, middle of the map, there is a fast travel location called "temple of artemis". She's right there.
I am almost sure this is what you are referring to.
Bayraktar!!!!

Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Asharak wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:00 pm
Newcastle wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:47 pm
Spoiler:

Coop is correct. I've done the quest you linked and have the subsequent series in my quest log (And, for the record, trying to do that fight even one level down was nasty. Doing it one level up was a piece of cake.) There's another, quite different series that I'm looking forward to more.

- Ash
well, then i am wrong. But i thought this was what you were referring to.
Bayraktar!!!!

Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Newcastle wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:15 pm well, then i am wrong. But i thought this was what you were referring to.
No problem, and thanks for trying to help! :)

- Ash
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Newcastle wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:15 pm well, then i am wrong. But i thought this was what you were referring to.
Those are merely Legendary beasts...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

I think that has not been released yet. There's a video out detailing the future content plans and in it they show a picture for legendary creatures.
Bayraktar!!!!

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm confused. How am I supposed to recruit one of the mercenaries when I can't knock them out on the first try? I attacked one this way and it turned into a big fight and the merc got killed :roll: