Regular Evening Multiplayer Gaming

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Regular Evening Multiplayer Gaming

Post by GreenGoo »

edit: I'll put the OO discord server address and invite here later

Hey guys, I know we've mostly been playing PUBG for months now, and I'm still pretty hooked on it, as it's my go-to competitive, work to improve game. I believe it has re-awakened an old competitive drive that I haven't seen in years (mostly as a kid, almost pre-video game era), and despite being fairly mediocre at it, I'm driven to improve. Frey can probably attest to how much time I spend reviewing replays, analyzing encounters, talking about mistakes and just generally trying to figure out how to be better. It's an old coach/competitive player instinct I used to have.

In any case, I know that the game has lost it's sheen for some, or at least doesn't hold attention like it used to do. I'm thinking we might be better served by figuring out some potential multiplayer games and once we have a list/stable of games that people are interested in, start scheduling specific games on specific nights just to help people organize their time.

For me it doesn't matter too much, I'm around most nights and I will play almost anything. I should have my internet back tomorrow (I freakin' better!). I'm not trying to create obligations or anything, but if you know we will be playing a game you're interested in, you can plan ahead, and if it's a game you're not interested in, then...come on anyway to chat?

I'll use the next post to collect game possibilities to keep things from getting too cluttered.
GreenGoo

Re: Regular Evening Multiplayer Gaming

Post by GreenGoo »

Games
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Some quick thoughts.

WH40K Inquisitor - I've got a hankering for this one and since I haven't touched D3 in forever, this one might be cool. 4 player coop (campaign is solo only. It's weird but cool. Don't read too much into it)
Diablo 3 - I assume everyone already owns this so no new game purchase costs. Lots of people still playing this. I'm sure it holds up every well.
Grim Dawn - inexpensive ARPG fix. Lots of character build options.
Titanfall 2 - haven't played in awhile, but I still really like it
Borderlands: The Pre-quel - bought 2 new classes recently, want to play those. Borderlands is crazy fun coop.
Helldivers - 4 player coop. Ever since Cort and Frey played a game it's been in the back of my mind.
Rainbow Six Siege - have it, haven't played it. Sounds fun. Other multiplayer group has been playing this a lot
Ghost Recon Wildlands - haven't touched it in awhile. Fun, but not too compelling. Very relaxed pace
PUBG - I still plan on maining this game at least 3 to 4 nights a week. And possibly squeeze in a few games on other nights during downtime.

Those are the first ones that come to mind. I'm hoping you guys have even better ideas that haven't crossed my mind either in months, or ever.

If the idea of scheduling stuff isn't appealing, let me know. I don't really have a preference. Still, I think knowing that Monday night is PUBG night and Tuesday night is Grim Dawn might be of use to some people.

Just spitballing ideas.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I won't recommend against it as such, but I will say that for co-op, R6 doesn't have the longest legs. The game is designed for competitive, and balanced for competitive. Ubi half-assed the co-op, and put barely any effort in it. Probably a third of the characters are overpowered for it, and a third are completely useless for it, as their abilities are designed to counter other players.

It's fun, and there is a learning curve and a buildup of skill, but it gets very repetitive once you hit a certain skill ceiling.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

if it is Grim Dawn or Warhammer I'd be up for it even sort of understand how to play all the classes....unlike when we started D3
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

I'm a big fan of Grim Dawn, but I'd be down for just about anything.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I probably should have specified team play rather than simply coop.

I also didn't mention any games that pit us against each other but those are on the table too.

Pretty much any genre is on the table unless eliminated by consensus.

We do seem to have a loot fetish so any game with loot probably gets bonus points.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

What, no interest in going back to Killing Floor? :)

I'd be willing to dabble. Though there are a lot of those I don't have. What I do have...

Borderlands - just started a game with a friend that never played
Borderlands 2 - 1000+ hours, so it's unlikely that I'd start from scratch; but the UVH mode is sick... I have several characters that could run around at that level
Borderlands Pre-Sequel - just picked up one of the DLC, so I believe I've opened up another play through; I'd be willing to try another character in that game

GR Wildlands - I beat it; but I'd be willing to poke around

Diablo3/Grim Dawn/Path of Exiles - I don't know that I'd get too excited, but I'd go with the flow if that was the choice

R6 Siege - Still plenty easy to die; and while the previous group was starting to hold it's own on Hard, we never tackled the highest difficulty - so still some room there

Saint's Row games - good story and humor, lots of mayhem

Vermintide - the original (never got the 2nd one) - good for dabbling

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I highly recommend checking out squads. I had a blast when I played it a few weeks back. Takes a bit to understand whatsgoing on but the community is awesome.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I always seem to be on the fringes for these play groups, but I'd be happy to fill a slot depending on the game. I have Grim Dawn but haven't poked around it too much. I've dabbled on most of the Borderlands, played some Vermintide. I'd be willing to pick up a game if need be.

I'll keep an eye on the thread to see what develops.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Baroquen wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:11 pm I always seem to be on the fringes for these play groups, but I'd be happy to fill a slot depending on the game. I have Grim Dawn but haven't poked around it too much. I've dabbled on most of the Borderlands, played some Vermintide. I'd be willing to pick up a game if need be.

I'll keep an eye on the thread to see what develops.
Didn't we start playing something several years ago? Which game was that?

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Hi everyone. My name is Freyland, and I have a problem.

A PUBG problem.

I'm finding it hard to play anything else when people are available. And this last week, with Goo's internet down and Cort MIA, I'm.... I'm actually having withdrawals. Single player just isn't fun enough.

That out of the way, how does coop for Warhamster Inquisitor actually work?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Freyland wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:08 am Hi everyone. My name is Freyland, and I have a problem.

A PUBG problem.

I'm finding it hard to play anything else when people are available. And this last week, with Goo's internet down and Cort MIA, I'm.... I'm actually having withdrawals. Single player just isn't fun enough.

That out of the way, how does coop for Warhamster Inquisitor actually work?
From what I gather it's like going on missions. I have no idea exactly, but I hear it works pretty well. I imagine it's something like Helldivers, you have goals and a map and you wipe everything out on the map/do the goals, collect the reward and repeat. Vermintide was sort of similar except it was more about making it through the map and side quests (kill stuff, get stuff, whatever stuff) were optional.

So the answer is I don't know. I know you can't play the campaign coop, which obviously sucks, but I'm not going to assume the worst when I've already seen mission based coop in other games that works just fine. Random reviewers of the game don't seem too unhappy with it.

I do know you can design missions then go on them. So if you're looking for a certain piece of gear you can make a mission that has more of the dudes that might drop that gear in it. I don't think it's too monty haul, just more parameters that you like and less that you don't like.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Throwing in a couple of names:

Friday the 13th
Dead by Daylight
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Squad squad squad.... Just had to drag myself away from it. So much fun. Gunplay is great. Not stressful since you can respawn. Tanks, mortors rpgs... Comms system is fantastic and the community is great. You can drop in solo and have a blast. I’ve yet to run into a shitty person.

Nice guide that gives you an idea on how the game works. Next time it goes on sale I HIGHLY recommend giving it a try. It's ARMA meets Battlefield. Except everyone actually tries to work together.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_iNCO ... VJNHc/view
Last edited by Octavious on Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

TheMix wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:29 pm
Didn't we start playing something several years ago? Which game was that?
I believe we completed a zombie-stomping run through of Dead Island. It was lots of fun! Was tough scheduling sometimes as my kids were babies back then, I think. My gaming schedule tends to be more open these days.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Hmmm...

I was thinking Dead Island (after I mulled it over for a bit). But I didn't think we ever finished.

That said, I just recently acquired Dying Light. And it's listed as co-op. Should you have any interest. :D

Black Lives Matter

Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

TheMix wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:32 pm Hmmm...

I was thinking Dead Island (after I mulled it over for a bit). But I didn't think we ever finished.

That said, I just recently acquired Dying Light. And it's listed as co-op. Should you have any interest. :D
I believe we got through the main plot, though not necessarily all of the side quest/extra type materials. And I'd be up for Dying Light. I bought it awhile back, but haven't gotten too far into it yet. So I'd be game. :D
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

here's a partial list of what i have for 'online co-op' for PC. filter isn't grabbing everything for some reason (like Don't Starve Together)

https://www.lorenzostanco.com/lab/steam/u/battlefinch

Contraption Maker
Dead Rising 4
Destiny 2
Diablo 3 (will have it soon)
Door Kickers
Dungeon of the Endless
Grim Dawn
How to Survive 2
Laser League
Mighty No. 9
Minecraft
Natural Selection 2
Red Faction Guerilla (the remake)
Rocketbirds
Running with Rifles
Rust
Satellite Reign
Serious Sam everything
Spellforce 2
Starbound
Styx: Shards of Darkness
Super Cyborg
Terraria
The Red Solstice
Titan Quest
Tower Wars
Wreckfest
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Kohan II: Kings of War
Sword of the Stars (the first one)
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Freyland wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:08 am Kohan II: Kings of War
Legit. Haven't played that one in 12-13 years I bet.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

So . . . I’m going to need someone to pick something.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If you guys will have me Id be down for some...

Borderlands: The Pre-quel
Ghost Recon Wildlands
Torchlight 2

And other games if I own them. Really up for the pre-quel as I never got far in it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I would just like to say that if you see me in a single-player game in Steam (currently tackling XCOM 2 with the Long War mod), feel free to "butt" in and see if I want to do some multiplayer gaming. Actually, you could also poke me if I'm in Destiny 2, Defiance, or some other multiplayer game.

Though I guess I should re-hook up my headset and get back into the Discord server.

Also will need to re-install some of these games.

So, anyway, basically I'm almost always up for some multiplayer.

Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Hey everyone, I started this thread for a couple of reasons. To give the people that have been logging into discord regularly a chance to voice opinions on what to play and when, as well as encourage any new players who are interested.

2 of the regulars haven't been able to respond yet but I see a number of new people which is awesome.

I don't want to make any commitments until I hear back from a couple of guys who are out of town, but I am usually on discord around 10-11pm EST every night if you want to stop in and see what's going on. Usually Freyland and I are playing PUBG, and Redfive, Cortilian and DoomofUsul play occasionally as well.

Hopefully we can make some concrete plans in the near future but right now I'm just playing pickup games of PUBG.

I'm seriously interested in WH40K Inquisitor Martyr. Not sure if it's any good but it looks good and I'm a big fan of anything WH40K.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ever consider Twitch chat? it used to be Curse Chat and is the same really other than name. Twitch bought them out. Its really the simplest to use voice chat Ive found and is the clearest too.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:21 am Ever consider Twitch chat? it used to be Curse Chat and is the same really other than name. Twitch bought them out. Its really the simplest to use voice chat Ive found and is the clearest too.
Nope.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Down to try almost anything. I’m out of pocket for the next 9-10 evenings as you know.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Could I get a link to the discord channel?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Fretmute wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:25 pm Could I get a link to the discord channel?
24 hour invite link: https://discord.gg/ayMp8p
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Redfive wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:45 am Down to try almost anything. I’m out of pocket for the next 9-10 evenings as you know.
So whose pocket were you in?
Hamsterball_Z

Post by Hamsterball_Z »

Guns of Icarus Alliance Free on Humble Bundle.

Posting it here because it might make a good multiplayer option and if it's free, everybody can have it. Limited time though, ends tomorrow (Saturday Noon ET, 9 PT.)

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/guns ... le_index_2
Description

Guns of Icarus Alliance is the expanded and definitive edition of Muse’s flagship title Guns of Icarus Online, the original player-vs-player steampunk airship combat game. Alliance features all of the content from the original title, but with the addition of player-vs-environment cooperative experiences, an ongoing war between six elite factions vying for control of a world ravaged by machines, and an ever-changing world that is constantly being shaped and reshaped by the players. With a good ship and the right crew, you can conquer the skies - and maybe even the world!

The ultimate co-op experience
Players can take on the roles of pilots, gunners and engineers, working together as a single unit to maximize their airship’s effectiveness and own the skies. You won’t be told to stay still and not die while a veteran preserves their Kill/Death ratio. In Guns of Icarus Alliance, you are forced to work together. It’s an entirely interdependent gameplay experience that cannot be won by a single crew member.

Your crew versus the world
Take your airship and crew, and pit them against a huge variety of AI-controlled challenges, including escort missions, convoy raids, base assaults, and more.
(HBZ)