Starflight 3 Universe

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Grifman

Starflight 3 Universe

Post by Grifman »

[
Last edited by Grifman on Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Kraken

Re: Starlight 3 Universe

Post by Kraken »

Starflight was one of the first PC games I ever played (I got my first computer in 1986), and I played the hell out of it. Definitely interested in this remake.
Last edited by Kraken on Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
morlac

Post by morlac »

I bought a Tandy 1000 for basically Starflight. Played it all night at my cousins and then bought the PC with the game the next day. He needed the money and I needed to save the universe. I had a C64 back then but man Starflight just blew me away. It eventually came out on the C64 but who the hell could of waited for that? Thanks Cousin Steve!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My first exposure was on Sega Genesis. Still the best version. I must have rented that game 10 times and finished it every time. So much to see and do. To this day that is the BEST way Ive seen to do ship upgrades combined with mining minerals. I remember starting with a crappy scanner and no cargo room. After doing a dozen runs I could get more cargo room then some more and I could get an improved mineral scanner. I LOVED landing on planets after scanning them then using the scanner to highlight mineral deposits and running around mining them. In fact to this day that is my favorite part of any space game. And no one has ever done it as well as Starflight on the Genesis.

Combine that scanning and mining with ship upgrades, lost colonies, strange new species, space combat, naming my ship and crew, raising and lowering shields and on off weapons. I felt like part of Star Trek really. I bought Starflight 2 sometime in the late 90s. Ugh I was so disappointed. I thought if the first one on Sega Genesis was so amazing then it must be even more so. It looked horrible and played horrible. Just never cared for it. Also after simply reading up on the first game on PC I dont have any care for it either. It seems the Genesis really hit the nail on the head with style, looks, and playability. Hope they can replicate the Genesis one on PC now in 3.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
gbasden

Re: Starflight 3 Universe

Post by gbasden »

Huh. The last bit of that trailer says "back us on Fig", but I can't find it on Fig.
raydude

Post by raydude »

gbasden wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:37 am Huh. The last bit of that trailer says "back us on Fig", but I can't find it on Fig.
If you play it on youtube there is a link in the youtube description that brings you directly to the campaign.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

raydude wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:38 am
gbasden wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:37 am Huh. The last bit of that trailer says "back us on Fig", but I can't find it on Fig.
If you play it on youtube there is a link in the youtube description that brings you directly to the campaign.
Thanks! I'd never heard of the "Backstage Pass" area of Fig.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Starflight 2 was so great.
Black Lives Matter.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

morlac wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:09 pm I bought a Tandy 1000 for basically Starflight. Played it all night at my cousins and then bought the PC with the game the next day. He needed the money and I needed to save the universe. I had a C64 back then but man Starflight just blew me away. It eventually came out on the C64 but who the hell could of waited for that? Thanks Cousin Steve!
This was my exact experience as well. Like, almost to a T. Only difference is I begged my mom to buy us that same Tandy 1000. Loved the humor, the feeling of "get those last few minerals to upgrade", the excitement I felt when I found that first artifact, and the utter shock when I orbited that third world around a certain star and realized I recognized the landforms...

I'm in, day-one for me.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

The campaign has been live for awhile now, I just put up a pledge:

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/starflight-3

Starflight was before my time but I've heard so much about it. Very much looking forward to this.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I expected this to blow through the initial funding goal out of the gate, but they don't seem to have a lot of momentum. They're almost halfway through the fundraising campaign and they're only 39% funded.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

They've done a lousy job of promoting this. I’ve seen very few articles about this campaign. They’be done very little to generate interest.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:02 pm I expected this to blow through the initial funding goal out of the gate, but they don't seem to have a lot of momentum. They're almost halfway through the fundraising campaign and they're only 39% funded.
Probably because not many young gamers know Starflight games.

The original PC games released between 1986-1989 or if we include Sega Genesis and Mac version between 1986-1991.

That was over 27 years ago. So a gamer need to be at least maybe 35 years old to play those games back when they were released.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Starflight is old enough and simple enough (because of the tech at the time) that it feels like they're trying to make a modern version of Pong or Pac man. It's just not that complicated a game. In some ways the original Star Control 2 was a modern version of Starflight.

I played Starflight when it was new. I liked it a lot. But it was so...basic.

Let me ask the Starflight fans out there what is it specifically about the original Starflight that has you excited about a modern version of it?

Crew management? Exploring the galaxy? Mining?!

These things all already exist in many forms in other games. Hell, Mass Effect could almost be described as a modernized version of Starflight, except more awesome in every way. Even the mining is just as boring as it was in Starflight!

The things I enjoyed about Starflight can all be had in SC2, and most likely in the new version of SC2 that is coming. Everything except maybe crew discovery and leveling (see Mass Effect). I liked Starflight. Maybe even loved it. I just don't have much nostalgia for it.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

To each their own. I'd much rather have a modern take on Star Flight than a modern take on Star Control (although that does have a lot to do with who is doing the modern Star Control).
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

I hope they get funded, but I'm not interested in backing it. That video was okay but it lacks almost any specifics.

OTOH I'm very much looking forward to the new Star Control.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:55 pm To each their own.
Sure.

On the one hand there wasn't much game there even by 90's standards (so 10 years later), let alone today's standards, so I find it hard to get excited about it. On the other hand Wasteland was just as empty a game, and look how a modern sequel of that turned out (great! in case there was confusion).

I actually think Starflight was even more hollow as a game than Wasteland, but the point still stands. 80's games can result in good modern versions/sequels, because while conceptually the 2 games are related, that's about all the similarity they share. Except for the IP and brand recognition.

A modern take on Pong might be some sort of 3D duel shooter/sport. Possibly a Rollerballesque game.

I guess since I don't have the same nostalgia as others despite playing the game (and liking it!) when it was new, it's hard for me to understand peoples' excitement. No one says I need to, though. It's just rare that I don't identify closely with video game opinions on this forum. It's a weird feeling to be an outsider on this one.
Victoria Raverna

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:49 pm Starflight is old enough and simple enough (because of the tech at the time) that it feels like they're trying to make a modern version of Pong or Pac man. It's just not that complicated a game. In some ways the original Star Control 2 was a modern version of Starflight.

I played Starflight when it was new. I liked it a lot. But it was so...basic.

Let me ask the Starflight fans out there what is it specifically about the original Starflight that has you excited about a modern version of it?

Crew management? Exploring the galaxy? Mining?!

These things all already exist in many forms in other games. Hell, Mass Effect could almost be described as a modernized version of Starflight, except more awesome in every way. Even the mining is just as boring as it was in Starflight!

The things I enjoyed about Starflight can all be had in SC2, and most likely in the new version of SC2 that is coming. Everything except maybe crew discovery and leveling (see Mass Effect). I liked Starflight. Maybe even loved it. I just don't have much nostalgia for it.
For me, it was the first space/scifi RPG game with "open world" exploration. There are no other game like it. SC2 is not the same as Starflight.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Not the same, no. They both can't be your first open world sci-fi RPG.

What specifically attracts you to starlight that differentiates it from SC2?
Victoria Raverna

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:53 am Not the same, no. They both can't be your first open world sci-fi RPG.

What specifically attracts you to starlight that differentiates it from SC2?
Exploring and encounter new aliens. RPG aspect like you have to hire crews with stats. To me SC2 is more like an action game than RPG.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Huh. I always found that aspect to be nearly the same (except for gathering crew), and I liked SC2's overlaying story better. I could see the humour putting people off though, if they prefer a more serious take.

I did like training up my crew, or having to decide for a high level but static android now or a low skill but trainable organic.
Victoria Raverna

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:08 pm Huh. I always found that aspect to be nearly the same (except for gathering crew), and I liked SC2's overlaying story better. I could see the humour putting people off though, if they prefer a more serious take.

I did like training up my crew, or having to decide for a high level but static android now or a low skill but trainable organic.
It was decade ago so I don't remember clearly. I think for me SC2 was more like an action game where my reflex is important while Starflight is a game where the stat and ship build is more important. Not sure that was correct or not. Last time I played them was about 20 years ago.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

This was really and truly my first computer game. Gold Box D&D games became my favorite soon after, but this game was my first foray into a life-long hobby. I didn't know any better to look at it as too basic or simple. To me it was a doorway to something never experienced. That is why I am so excited for this remake. Only thing I'm nervous about is that my inner 13-year-old will be overridden by my jaded 43 year-old brain, and I will see the man behind the curtain, so to speak. But for now, I'm stoked to hop back into my space ship and hunt down some unique and exotic species!
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

Hmmm - maybe they took note of people thinking they weren't doing enough to promote this? :)

Recent thread on Reddit from the original designer:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/ ... tarflight/
-something witty-
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I hope its really close to Starflight on Genesis. Thats the one I first played and loved. The ship upgrading and the way you scanned and mined minerals from planets is still my favorite way to this day. Years later I found and bought an old copy of Starflight 2 thinking it would be even better but I was very disappointed because of the way it looked. I didn't like or play it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Victoria Raverna

infinitelurker wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:10 pm Hmmm - maybe they took note of people thinking they weren't doing enough to promote this? :)

Recent thread on Reddit from the original designer:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/ ... tarflight/
Wow, the original designer. Surprised that at least one of the original designer is still making games. I thought they're all retired by now.