[THQ Nordic] Jagged Alliance: Rage!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Smoove_B

[THQ Nordic] Jagged Alliance: Rage!

Post by Smoove_B »

Has any other series had this many attempts to revive? It's hard to get excited after the last effort, but here's a trailer with just a tiny bit of what I am assuming is in-game footage added to the end:

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Paingod

Re: [THQ Nordic] Jagged Alliance: Rage!

Post by Paingod »

It looks like they might still be using the same animations from the original, at least. That last guy that was shot went down exactly like they used to. The rest of it could be any generic tactical game, so far.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:31 am It's hard to get excited after the last effort
Just try and stop me!

I will basically give any game trying to revive JA2 a chance and get excited over every one. I tried to replay JA2 a little while ago and I think we've finally hit the point where I can't go back there. XCOM2 has thoroughly replaced it. I would love for it to have another shot.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think that's what my issue is -- I've also tried going back and it's just not working for me anymore. I'd love for someone to truly re-capture whatever magic was in the original.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

"No, I busy, go away!"

"I forget. I forget again."

etc.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

"Elliot, you IDIOT" /slap /slap
Black Lives Matter

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Paingod wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:18 pm "Elliot, you IDIOT" /slap /slap
Ah, good times :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't think there is any game I'd like to see come back as much as JA, but I don't think there is any game I have less confidence in succeeding.

Hell, I'd kill just for a straight port of the old audio, mechanics, stats, and gameplay to a modern engine.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:06 pm Hell, I'd kill just for a straight port of the old audio, mechanics, stats, and gameplay to a modern engine.
I'm not going to get homicidal about it, but otherwise I agree.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:08 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:06 pm Hell, I'd kill just for a straight port of the old audio, mechanics, stats, and gameplay to a modern engine.
I'm not going to get homicidal about it, but otherwise I agree.
:violence-rambo:
Brian

Post by Brian »

I'm here. I ate every bug along the way.

There were many.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

So it turns out Jagged Alliance: Rage is not-terrible
Y’know what? I don’t hate it. Which, after 19 years of hurt (the remarkable JA2 mod scene aside), is happy progress for once-beloved turn-based mercenary combat series Jagged Alliance.

There’s a whole mess of things wrong with newly-announced latest comeback-apparent Jagged Alliance: Rage, but a few hours with early code has me thinking there’s a lot right with its core.

Rage makes the two decades since Jagged Alliance 2, the last time this series truly found its way into hearts and minds, a plot point. Its gang of quipping, ill-tempered mercenaries are now 20 years older, with all manner of weaknesses and tics to reflect their long years in the field. Borrowing a cue from Darkest Dungeon, working around their deficiencies and propensity to pick up new injuries and ailments is all part of how to survive a guerrilla run through the jungle.

This isn’t a roguelike, but it does borrow a few concepts – you take your damage with you, you’re dependent on loot found semi-randomly during combat, and you need to make tough choices about what to fix or improve during your brief downtime.

Rage is recognisably Jagged Alliance, which is to say you exact turn-based control of a squad of grumbling but blood-steeped mercs sent to deal with warlords and drug-runners in an exotic locale, but with two major changes. The first is a certain degree of streamlining. There is a ruder way of saying the same thing, which I expect is being employed with grim regularity in Jagged Alliance communities right now.

In any case, Rage is clearly striving to be XCOM to the 90s JAs’ X-COM – focusing on the core loops of combat and strategy, discarding some of the nuances of micro-management in favour of a tight focus on moment-to-moment decisions. Me? I’ve always taken the view that XCOM doesn’t replace X-COM: I dig both. I feel the same way here, in that we’ve still got JA2 and all its marvellous mods – this is exploring something different. Narrowing the field of possibility to move/shoot/sneak/use might amputate complexity, but it increases intensity.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

The art style turns me off. I'd like a new JA as much as anyone, but I want it to look realistic. It reminds me of TF2's art, which works for that game but is not something I wanted for a new JA.
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

gameoverman wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:41 pm The art style turns me off. I'd like a new JA as much as anyone, but I want it to look realistic. It reminds me of TF2's art, which works for that game but is not something I wanted for a new JA.
Absolutely agree. I know I sound like an old fart saying this, but what is up with all the freak'n cartoons these days - I feel like I am back in the 70s watching Saturday morning cartoons. Everyone keeps trying to copy TF2's art style (e.g. Fortnighte, latest X-Coms, etc.). Enough already...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Tampa_Gamer wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:12 pm
gameoverman wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:41 pm The art style turns me off. I'd like a new JA as much as anyone, but I want it to look realistic. It reminds me of TF2's art, which works for that game but is not something I wanted for a new JA.
Absolutely agree. I know I sound like an old fart saying this, but what is up with all the freak'n cartoons these days - I feel like I am back in the 70s watching Saturday morning cartoons. Everyone keeps trying to copy TF2's art style (e.g. Fortnighte, latest X-Coms, etc.). Enough already...
Because it sells. Create an art style that appeals to a large audience, and you've already caught the attention of that audience. And let's face it - the realistic looking military action genre sort of died everywhere but in games. They have to bring in the new audience somehow.

I also hate it, but I get why they do it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

About 8 minutes of game play from Gamescom

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

That gameplay looks good. Can I still train my strength to ridiculous levels by camping crow spawn and punching them?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:21 am That gameplay looks good.
Agree. Reminds me very much of good times with the JA franchise. Sounds good, and I don't even mind the cartoony graphics. But why does the screen look like it's smeared with Vaseline? I hate that effect, whatever is. Is that bloom? Hopefully they have not tweaked it completely for the final version, or if they have, I hope it's an option in graphical settings.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:50 am
LordMortis wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:21 am That gameplay looks good.
Agree. Reminds me very much of good times with the JA franchise. Sounds good, and I don't even mind the cartoony graphics. But why does the screen look like it's smeared with Vaseline? I hate that effect, whatever is. Is that bloom? Hopefully they have not tweaked it completely for the final version, or if they have, I hope it's an option in graphical settings.
It seems to be some extreme depth-of-field effect. And it is horrible.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:37 pm
Because it sells. Create an art style that appeals to a large audience, and you've already caught the attention of that audience. And let's face it - the realistic looking military action genre sort of died everywhere but in games. They have to bring in the new audience somehow.

Also because:

It's easier to do effectively (textures, color pallettes, etc) for both artists and GPUs. Fewer resources required.

It's easier to trademark characters that are original artwork rather than just realistic humans.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

"Throw Lethal Knife"

As opposed to, say, "Throw Butter knife"?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
morlac

Post by morlac »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:02 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:37 pm

Also because:

It's easier to do effectively (textures, color pallettes, etc) for both artists and GPUs. Fewer resources required.

It's easier to trademark characters that are original artwork rather than just realistic humans.
And...

Cartoon violence is less realistic than realistic violence! Because pretty colors or something.

Im ok with this change because the OG was pretty tongue in cheek anyhow. Tactically sound but it was pretty goofy :)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I still say, more than anything: It catches the eye of the Fortnite crowd.
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

Freyland wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:14 pm "Throw Lethal Knife"

Nobody tosses a Butterknife!
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Butterknife wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:54 pm
Freyland wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:14 pm "Throw Lethal Knife"

Nobody tosses a Butterknife!
How insensitive of me! :wink:
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

We have a release date.
Jagged Alliance: Rage will be launching on September 27th, and will cost $20/€20.
That's just 2 days after Kingmaker launches, so I'll be keeping an eye on this but not dropping the double-sawbuck out of the gate.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:33 pm We have a release date.
Jagged Alliance: Rage will be launching on September 27th, and will cost $20/€20.
That's just 2 days after Kingmaker launches, so I'll be keeping an eye on this but not dropping the double-sawbuck out of the gate.
If I've finished Tomb Raider by then, which is possible, then I will be all over this.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

We have a new release date: 6 Dec 2018.
“So it turns out Jagged Alliance: Rage is not-terrible,” our Alec declared in his cheery way after playing the latest revival of the venerated real-time tactical combat series. It was surprising, seeing as many other attempts have ended up bleh, but even more surprising is that it was due to launch barely six weeks after being announced. Well, that part at least was too good to be true. Having previously planned to launch it tomorrow, September 27th, publishers THQ Nordic today announced Jagged Alliance: Rage is now due December 6th. I’ve asked, and they say the delay is for “Balancing and fine-tuning.” To tide folks over, they have blorped a new trailer.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:44 pm
Max Peck wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:33 pm We have a release date.
If I've finished Tomb Raider by then, which is possible, then I will be all over this.
Dammit. I *was* finished with Tomb Raider. The delay is fine. I have a bunch to play and more in the pipeline.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

That looks pretty decent but I'll have to wait for reviews to be sure.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Gah, why does it look like it's running at 10x speed? That's terrible! Hopefully (but again, why?!) they just sped it up so it looked more actiony? If that is the normal speed, I will be passing for sure. Also seemed very herky-jerky.

I like my Jagged Alliance slow, methodical and full of sweat-inducing tension, thankyouverymuch. :character-oldtimer:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I got the feeling that it was intentional in order to show lots of gameplay in a minute or so.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yeah, if you compare the trailer to the Gamescom 2018 gameplay videos floating around out there, it appears that they sped up the action segments and mostly cut out the parts where the player is actually plotting out commands. The trailer almost completely obscures the fact that the game is turn-based. :lol:

Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Wow! Looks pretty good to me. I don't think the graphics are as cartoony as some of you indicated. I think they should have created all new soldiers though. These guys and gals are way too old to still be doing this. (Er...wait a minute. Who am I to be talking? I'm still playing video games.) :oops:

I will definitely be keeping my eyes open for this one!
Rip

Post by Rip »

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Jolly Dark Puppy Stinky Cheese

I'm not all that certain I want to click that link.
Black Lives Matter

Rip

Post by Rip »

It is on twitch so usually safe.

Just a clip of a streamer there.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I love Twitch's clip URLs; five random words that come tantalizingly close to conveying meaning.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I clicked the link, and have no idea what that was. It was cut off, for one, and was about 4 seconds. WTF.

Link to video you wanted to show us moved maybe?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

In addition to answering rhetorical questions, one of my hobbies is mansplaining jokes.

Twitch clips are very short videos, usually used to commemorate stream highlights or memes.

In this case . . .
Fardaza wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:34 pm I think they should have created all new soldiers though. These guys and gals are way too old to still be doing this. (Er...wait a minute. Who am I to be talking? I'm still playing video games.)
. . . was followed by an "I'm too old for this" meme clip from a game stream.