Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Grifman

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Max Peck

Re: Rebel Galaxy Outlaw

Post by Max Peck »

Why settle for a JPEG when you can literally buy a model of your ship.

Also, I'm a big fan of the way they're all-in on the Star Citizen shade:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
map

Post by map »

I had a lot of fun with Rebel Galaxy.
Peace through Strength
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

This is a day one for me.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So its a prequel. Do you play your grandmother?

Also I like the fake kickstarter poking fun at Star Citizen.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:19 pm So its a prequel. Do you play your grandmother?
According to what I've read, you play a 34-years-younger Aunt Juno.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Whoops its aunt..righto. No idea why I thought grandmother.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

A solid hour of gameplay by Travis himself showing off all the features of the game (except mining, he said he didn't have time for that).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfQetVBJrQI

A must watch for fans of this genre and Travis is very entertaining. There's some incredible stuff in there and this is a day one must buy for me. The Freelancer sequel we've been waiting for and then some.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I've been following a bunch of impressions of this from PAX. Day 1 purchase for me for sure. One of the devs at their PAX booth said that one of their earliest prototype builds even used assets from Privateer as placeholders.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

I think Travis should be doing voiceover work or commentary/play by play on something for someone. He is very entertaining and I love his cadence and delivery.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Moat_Man wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:34 pm I think Travis should be doing voiceover work or commentary/play by play on something for someone.
He actually does audio books. He's done a ton of them and he's very good.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

ColdSteel wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:29 pm
Moat_Man wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:34 pm I think Travis should be doing voiceover work or commentary/play by play on something for someone.
He actually does audio books. He's done a ton of them and he's very good.
I have a keen eye for spotting existing talent.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

The release date for this was announced this week - August 13th!

https://rebel-galaxy.com/rebel-galaxy-o ... ouncement/
-something witty-
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

infinitelurker wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:40 pm The release date for this was announced this week - August 13th!
It's an Epic exclusive though so I'll pick it up in a year when it's out on Steam and GOG.
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

ColdSteel wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:54 pm
infinitelurker wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:40 pm The release date for this was announced this week - August 13th!
It's an Epic exclusive though so I'll pick it up in a year when it's out on Steam and GOG.
To each their own. I've looked into the whole Epic Games Store furor, by reading coverage from both sides and even doing some of my own investigation to see about the supposed nefarious phone-homes and other tracking. From my perspective, it's a better deal for game developers, period. If the Epic Games Store is helping smaller game studios continue to make good games, even if it doesn't yet have all the bells-and-whistles of Steam, I'm going to support those developers in the hopes of getting more games from them into the future. I've always enjoyed the work of Travis Baldree and his teams, so I'm going to support them. I've even pre-ordered it, something I never do. Hell, I'll probably even buy it on Steam when it comes out there to support the developers some more.

The uproar really reminds me of the when Steam first came to town, and everybody was up in arms. What I am really tired of is how the 'never Epic', or 'I'll just torrent it' brigade comes out and pollutes every Rebel Galaxy Outlaw game thread (mainly on reddit, Twitter, and Discord) and beats the poor dead horse again, and again, and again, and once more for whatever reason. Even when Travis, the developer, is responding with thoughtful, reasoned, articulate responses about the decision or refuting allegations (with way more patience than I would have), they just repeat the same tripe. We get it, we know, you've made your choice, you're going to vote with your wallet, so move along, quietly please.
-something witty-
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Even if Epic Games did turn out to be the most evil platform in the world, I'd probably still be in for this game on day 1. "Modern Remake of Wing Commander: Privateer" has pretty much been on the top of my wishlist to Santa every year since the original Privateer came out. Everything I've read about what they've done with this game makes it look like they absolutely nailed recreating everything that made Privateer such a great game.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Can not wait for this one. All early indications are that It is going to be fantastic.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just buy from the cheapest. All the services work fine for me so what do I care. But I wont be buying anything for about 5 years perhaps of which Ill post about soon in its own thread.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

wonderpug wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:55 am Even if Epic Games did turn out to be the most evil platform in the world, I'd probably still be in for this game on day 1. "Modern Remake of Wing Commander: Privateer" has pretty much been on the top of my wishlist to Santa every year since the original Privateer came out. Everything I've read about what they've done with this game makes it look like they absolutely nailed recreating everything that made Privateer such a great game.
There better be a steltek gun. :mrgreen:

Seriously, I got that vibe too from the cockpit. I'm afraid to pull the trigger and be disappointed.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
morlac

Post by morlac »

Don't be. This is going by my GOTY. Even the soundtrack is going to be epic.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Scoop20906 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:24 am
wonderpug wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:55 am Even if Epic Games did turn out to be the most evil platform in the world, I'd probably still be in for this game on day 1. "Modern Remake of Wing Commander: Privateer" has pretty much been on the top of my wishlist to Santa every year since the original Privateer came out. Everything I've read about what they've done with this game makes it look like they absolutely nailed recreating everything that made Privateer such a great game.
There better be a steltek gun. :mrgreen:

Seriously, I got that vibe too from the cockpit. I'm afraid to pull the trigger and be disappointed.
Oh it’s not just a vibe — the devs have said they were intentionally emulating the Privateer aesthetic and gameplay.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I did really look forward to this game. I bet it will be a big hit. Why here in 20 or 30 years when Star Citizen comes out it may give it a run for its money.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im seeing this starting to be streamed on Twitch.
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

Yes, they sent out early access keys to streamers to help get the word out. I haven't been watching any, as I like to experience stuff for myself the first time through.

Come on August 13th! I feel like a young kid waiting for Christmas...
-something witty-
raydude

Post by raydude »

I never finished the first one. Would playing Outlaw spoil Rebel Galaxy you think?
raydude

Post by raydude »

I never finished the first one. Would playing Outlaw spoil Rebel Galaxy you think?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I never finished it either but from what I saw not at all. The first is a broadsides space game where you play the nephew of Aunt Juno I think it was. This game is basically a new Privateer 1 with great graphics and you actually play Aunt Juno this time as a prequel.

I swear its totally Privateer. Same type cockpits....same fights....even saw a mushroom looking station like Perry Station from Privateer. Its eerie in a way but I loved Privateer to death so this looks great to me.
morlac

Post by morlac »

raydude wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:28 pm I never finished the first one. Would playing Outlaw spoil Rebel Galaxy you think?
Should be fine.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

raydude wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:28 pm I never finished the first one. Would playing Outlaw spoil Rebel Galaxy you think?
Nah, totally different games in the same universe.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Imagine the Iwar series of space games. independence War 1 was a capital ship sim with detail. The 2nd was a dog fighting sim more or less with different detail and pirating.
Last edited by Daehawk on Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Tomorrow.

I've watched a couple of Baldree's gameplay videos over the past week and I'm looking forward to it. I'm also kind of dreading the grindy nature of it, but we'll see how much fun the loop is. At least the price is right.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

From Rock, Paper, Shotgun: Wot I Think: Rebel Galaxy Outlaw. Short but pretty interesting review.

From the start of the article:
A million years ago, on some African rock, our hominid ancestors gathered around a perfectly smooth black rectangle, and gazed upon it in awe. Beneath the surface of that strange artefact, lights and colours moved. The hominids looked on, stricken by wonder, and witnessed the perfect space sim. We can be sure this happened because, as a species, we seem to have an instinctual idea of the standard to which all space sims should be held, without any such game having been released in living memory. Indeed, there’s perhaps no other genre of game more prone to accusations of over-promising and mutterings of disappointment – whether they’re justified or not – than this one.

If your game is experienced primarily through a spaceship cockpit, than you’d better have made a 1:1 scale galaxy teeming with habitable planets, each with environments that are somehow both procedurally generated, and as characterful as Skyrim, Liberty City or Lemoyne. Us players will demand a functioning, responsive economy, and conflicts between galactic-scale factions that can be influenced on a macro-political scale. We will want to get out of our pilot’s seats and wander around inside our ships. We will want the toilets to flush. We want to escape into an actual, literal universe, and woe betide any game that merely lets us fly a pretend spaceship.

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is unassuming enough to dodge this outrage. Its universe is only a single galactic sector, with a modest 40 star systems to peruse. The planets and space stations aren’t fully realised 3D constructs, but abstractions made of onscreen menus, with animated backdrops and landing/take-off cutscenes. Even the spaceship cockpits are simple 2D screen overlays that remind you more of Star Wars: TIE Fighter than Star Citizen.

However, the reason Rebel Galaxy Outlaw has refused to extend its reach, is that it already knows exactly what it wants to grasp.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Unlock appears to be 8am PDT so I don't get to play today. :( We have established "No Tech Tuesdays" at home that officially covers the evening so if the game was a midnight unlock I would have been ok to play this morning. Tuesday is a terrible day to set as a no video gaming day. Stupid alliteration.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Electron Free Friday? :D

My wife likes Electronics Free Friday as a name, but I think mine flows better :dance:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:19 am
I've watched a couple of Baldree's gameplay videos over the past week and I'm looking forward to it. I'm also kind of dreading the grindy nature of it, but we'll see how much fun the loop is. At least the price is right.
Ive always used a joystick for space games like this but I did use a controller for the first game and he really sells the controller here as well.

The one thing about the first game that bugged me was just how many times you got pulled out of warp as you went anywhere..all the time. Its really why I quit. Ive seen it happen in the new game when streamed a ton too but in it you can instantly restart warp..no waiting to get so far away.

I swear both the space station and the asteroid station look straight out of Privateer. Too cool.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The original Rebel Galaxy didn't grab me much (mainly because I found the naval style combat quite boring), but this looks like a blast. I'm always a sucker for arcade style space shooters, and will definitely be checking it out after watching the ACG review.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:41 am Electron Free Friday? :D

My wife likes Electronics Free Friday as a name, but I think mine flows better :dance:
Electron free sounds a little... problematic. A life without electrons is no life at all. Literally?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:50 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:41 am Electron Free Friday? :D

Electron free sounds a little... problematic. A life without electrons is no life at all. Literally?
A quibble :D.

Looking forward to some impressions. Also, if you have played it, comparisons with Elite: Dangerous, which I have played.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I never played Elite, it sounded way too heavy for me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

My only early impression is that you're probably going to want to watch that "Getting Started" video linked above. There is no manual, and the game makes no effort to teach you how to play it.