Sacred Gold feedback request

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Carpet_pissr

Sacred Gold feedback request

Post by Carpet_pissr »

OK, Sacred Gold is $2 now, and has been on my wishlist forever.

Hopefully someone can clarify my confliction on this (confliction should be a word BTW).

PROS:
$2! Come on, you cheap bastard! (seriously, anyone with a decent sized backlog knows that is not as relevant as the below)
Some specific users reviews are absolutely glowing.

CONS:
74 Metacritic is pretty low for a "golden age of gaming" game. User reviews at 80% as well. Very good, of course, but not great
Old as shit, so I would likely have to put up with shitty UX from that time as well, plus the graphics of course (not as big of a barrier)
Might get a remake in the near future...then I would be kicking myself.
Crap ton of other games like this that I haven't played that are likely much better (certainly much better reviewed)

Anyone want to vouch for this to make me try it? Anyone want to list a couple games that are better in almost every way so I can remove it from my WL?
Isgrimnur

Re: Sacred Gold feedback request

Post by Isgrimnur »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:38 am (confliction should be a word BTW).
Wiktionary
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

All I recall about it is the original non gold game. A friend who I played games with every day back then and thought liked the same stuff really liked the game. I couldn't stand it. Shrug.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

I played it a long time ago. I enjoyed it, even played a couple different classes - but it's a lot like Diablo. Oddly enough, I enjoyed Sacred but not Diablo 2 (never played the orig. Diablo). I would neither pan it nor rave about it. Ride around, kill enemies, break crates and barrels.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Diablo clone? Ok, pass then. I never finished Torchlight 2, and have only dipped a finger in: latest Diablo, Van Helsing and Titan Quest.

I think I’m good on that genre, and doubtful if Sacred Gold is better than any of those, right?

Although the comment about preferring SG over Diablo II was a little surprising to read. I wasn’t obsessed with the first two Diablos like some ppl, but I did love them. Long time.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

yeah - I agree that it's weird that I liked Sacred more than Diablo. At the very least, should have liked them the same.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I played a little of Sacred, and my impression was that it had a little more roleplaying than Diablo, and a little less of a constant loot cycle, there were similarities.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I forgot I had this one on my list. I had started playing it and I remember why I gave up on it. The game has a large difficulty curve. Enemies respawn all the time and they weren't exactly easy, and I never ended up making much headway after the tutorial. Kept dying before I could get to my next destination, got frustrated and gave up. And this was on the easy difficulty. Felt it was a very imbalanced game in terms of difficulty; everything would swarm on you.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Good to know! Thankee, sai.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

It has a huge, open world that you can easily land in areas way too difficult for you. Unfortunately for me, it's also a huge distraction because I wander off and explore areas that I'm either not supposed to yet or areas that I can find a little out-of-the-way area and get good weapons. So, of course, I reload the game and go back to that area couple of times to kill off the boss creatures and try to get the best weapon. It becomes a mini game to find loot rather than a game to actually finish.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I might retry playing it as I might have tried to at a higher difficulty, but I remember playing it at the easiest at the time. At the time, all I can remember is that I was heading directly towards the next main quest objective and I didn't have any other quests available to me yet (as far as I could tell) and it was sending me through a swamp and was getting my ass whooped by swarms of respawning enemies. I'd tried grinding a few levels but it didn't seem to make much of a difference, and at that point, I'd wondered that seeing as I was having this much difficulty early on, if I should continue. I felt like I was doing something wrong given how difficult I felt it was and I definitely wasn't going off the beaten path. Also didn't help that the quest markers were unclear.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti