[Gaming] Am I broken?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

MadMarlin

Re: [Gaming] Am I broken?

Post by MadMarlin »

I wasn't very clear in my rambling...
It's not that I want to play Burgertime, I was using it and others as an example of the wide array of ideas that were in mainstream video games a long time ago. I love the indie video game industry, but AAA titles seem to all fit in a very tight mold. Last week Stardock just released their newest title...a game made 20ish years ago, as an example. The same is true (in my opinion) of the movie industry. Independent films have new ideas, the company I work for just released Mission Impossible number <who cares>.

And I think perhaps that leads to the lack of desire to play new games. They aren't new, or interesting.

But again, just my opinion.
MM
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And that is part of why genres cycle. We've been in an RPG and third-person action kick for a while. Adventure games are wrapping up a comeback tour. Open world with unlockable regions is still all the rage, but over-saturation will step in at some point. First person shooters are in decline, while strategy games have largely been off the radar for a while. Eventually people will get tired of RPGs or open world third person (Arkham, Shadows, Assassin's, etc), and some strategy game will hit big, leading to the rise of those games again. Shooters will continue to decline, but will come back about the time RPGs are hitting bottom, and so on and so forth.

Oh, and I love comic book movies. Keep 'em coming.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:27 am
Z-Corn wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:31 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:24 pm I look forward to having an update for you next Tuesday, then.
Oh, you guys putting up a fence?
:ninja:
So? Did it work out in the end or have things bottomed out?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Waiting on the lab results.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:09 pm And that is part of why genres cycle. We've been in an RPG and third-person action kick for a while. Adventure games are wrapping up a comeback tour. Open world with unlockable regions is still all the rage, but over-saturation will step in at some point. First person shooters are in decline, while strategy games have largely been off the radar for a while. Eventually people will get tired of RPGs or open world third person (Arkham, Shadows, Assassin's, etc), and some strategy game will hit big, leading to the rise of those games again. Shooters will continue to decline, but will come back about the time RPGs are hitting bottom, and so on and so forth.

Oh, and I love comic book movies. Keep 'em coming.
I'd argue that the MOBA/Battle Royale games are new and exciting (which is why they've been doing so well lately, and everyone is rushing to get a piece of the pie). We've also gotten a fair amount of imbalanced play games released - Evolve, Dead by Daylight - one vs many - I kind of think L4D started this, with their 4v4 zombie setup.

Ditto for MM's studio. They may have made MI:6, but I'll wager they are also working on some limited series for Netflix/Amazon/Hulu/HBO, etc, which is where the real innovation in filmic storytelling is taking place currently.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I don't think anything is 'new' and that the newness is why it's hot these days. Battle royale games for instance, how is that different from Quake deathmatch? Because it's open world? The only reason we didn't have that back then is because the tech wouldn't allow it.

When I played Quake there were definite technical limitations. Poly count had to be low. "Chat" was text. Pings could be wildly different from player to player. What we see today is the natural result of everyone having better technology all around.

I think that might have a large impact on my ability to get into a game today. I played ALL these games back in the '80s and '90s. The graphics are so much better but I'm still killing or being killed.

Another thing that makes it feel new is the international element. Large parts of the world were essentially cut off from US players back then. Now US players can and do play with and against players from everywhere. Back in my Quake days it was rare for me to get a chance to interact with a foreigner in a game. You couldn't have had esports back then, the pool of players and audience were too small.
MadMarlin

Post by MadMarlin »

Was just reading that Warcraft 3 is being “reimagined” and thought of this thread.
Reimagined...
Imagine that!

MM
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

MadMarlin wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:14 pm Was just reading that Warcraft 3 is being “reimagined” and thought of this thread.
Reimagined...
Imagine that!
Again?
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

You used to be fun. How did it become smacks in the head?
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.