Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

Tropico 6

All discussions regarding PC gaming.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis

Sepiche

Tropico 6

Post by Sepiche » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:58 pm

Kalypso's store is offering Steam keys for Tropico 6 for 10% off plus an additional 15% if you use the voucher code: El Presidente.

Picked it up and played the beta for a little while last night. Seems like a lot of the new mechanics from 5 with some polish, and some of the more questionable mechanics redone. Trade routes are a little more useful now, research is for new edicts not buildings, silly family mechanics are gone, they revamped the Swiss account mechanics by giving you useful things to spend it on, etc.

A few interesting new features:
- You can customize the look of your palace
- You can be a female El Presidente
- Instead of one large island, maps seem to be small archipelagos now
- Placement is transparently grid based
- Graphics look much sharper
- You can build a pirate cove in the first era now and send the pirates out for various resources in a nod to Tropico 2

Seems like a good upgrade so far, but I'll post some more thoughts after I've had a little more time with it.

Kraken

Re: Tropico 6

Post by Kraken » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:16 pm

I'm a sucker for Tropico and didn't realize that 6 was in the works. I already have about 6 months of gaming queued up, so I won't buy anything until I get through that...but T6 will surely be on my radar then.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:24 am

I'm a sucker for the Tropico series... count me in.
"A plan is a list of things that go wrong. I like to keep my lists short. Just be ready." - Rico Rodriguez

baelthazar

Post by baelthazar » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:33 pm

Sepiche wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:58 pm
- You can be a female El Presidente
La Presidenta? :D

I usually hop on Tropico instantly. But I have a huge backlog of excellent games. That said, the sale helps.

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:02 pm

Played this off and on over the weekend. Enjoying a lot of the little changes and sharper graphics, but keep running into a profitability wall in the second era. I have a number of what should be profitable mines, plantations, and factories setup and exporting goods, but for some reason my expenses were still about 50% more than my income.

I feel like there are some bugs somewhere in the system that are causing goods to not make it to the docks fast enough, or they nerfed profitability in some way. I can understand not making a massive profit from some of those industries, but having all the workers on minimum pay and still not being able to cover costs seems off.

I'll let them get some patching done and take another look in a few weeks.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:46 pm

Got an email from Green Man Gaming, they are offering 20% on both versions of the game, with instant access to the beta. I'm assuming you still have to download it first :roll:

Since the release date is January 24th I was going to pass, but I might be tempted to get it now, since I'll probably get it on release anyway.

Sepiche, have you looked at the beta lately? Any improvements since your last post?
"A plan is a list of things that go wrong. I like to keep my lists short. Just be ready." - Rico Rodriguez

Lorini

Post by Lorini » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:53 pm

They just released the game's first big patch today. I haven't booted it up yet though.
Steer into the drift.

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:57 pm

jztemple2 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:46 pm
Sepiche, have you looked at the beta lately? Any improvements since your last post?
Seems better now. It sounds like initially there was a bug with citizens getting around, so goods were being made slowly, moved slowly, buildings were built slowly, etc. With that fixed it seems much more balanced. Only just getting close to the cold war era now, but I'll probably keep plugging away at it as time allows.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:21 pm

I got a new email from Green Man Gaming. If you are a VIP member both version of Tropico 6 are available for 25% off. I'm tempted...

Lorini

Post by Lorini » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:11 pm

Game is delayed until March 29th. Publisher felt it was not ready for release and wants to continue working on it.
Steer into the drift.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:40 pm

Lorini wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:11 pm
Game is delayed until March 29th. Publisher felt it was not ready for release and wants to continue working on it.
Well, bummer, I needed something to kill time during tax season. Still there's always that next game, whatever and whenever it is :coffee:

Newcastle

Post by Newcastle » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:31 am

I bought it in september for early access. I played it for 2 hours tops. My initial impression was that it needed more work and polish. It was very close and very functional. But, I also perused the bug forum and saw some game breaking bugs in my point of view that made me not want to play until those were resolved (namely the people traffic jams). I am glad they are taking the extra time for it.
America held hostage enters Day 39 holy crap he's lasted this long?

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.