Picking a recent-gen RPG

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Holman

Picking a recent-gen RPG

Post by Holman »

I have fallen behind on my recent-generation RPGs, and now I'm feeling the itch.

As a lover of the original Baldur's Gates, Planescape, etc, I want to dive into one of these:

1) Divinity: Original Sin II Enhanced
2) Pathfinder: Kingmaker
3) Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

If you had to pick only one, which would it be?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Re: Picking a recent-gen RPG

Post by Daehawk »

Id probably go Deadfire. I loved the old games as well but I didn't get into Pillars much at all but all Ive seen of Deadfire make it out to be a lot better than Pillars.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I'm partial to DOS II as it has variety and replayability. The Definitive version didn't add any new areas, but more origin story for your party mates.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I burned out very quickly on PoE 2, but quite enjoyed Divinity OS 2 until the massive quest overload kicked in.

Haven't tried Pathfinder yet.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Any particular reason The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt isn't on the list?

Gathering your party before venturing forth, perhaps?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:55 pm Any particular reason The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt isn't on the list?

Gathering your party before venturing forth, perhaps?
I do have The Witcher 3, but I've really found myself in the mood for the party-based thing.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I've only played POE II of those. It's fun and a lot easier to get into than the first one. Only thing that bugs me is the super low party size limit. It especially bugs me since the party members chatter with each other constantly, and I don't want to do four replays just to see what #3 has to say to #8.

Other than that, it's good fun, the combat is well-balanced (although it's still got fifty thousand statistics I still haven't been able to make heads nor tails out of) and the story is good. Plus, it's fun just sailing around the Deadfire Archipelago finding random islands and sea monsters.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Ember ;) It's a shorter RPG than most, but it feels like a classic RPG. Good story too.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As someone that owns many games, reads about many more and rarely plays any to completion, I *think* the game you want is the new Pathfinder RPG. I've played Divinity and it didn't remind me of Baldur's Gate at all - it's very...puzzly? Is that the right word? It's difficult and (I think) rewarding if you can figure out all the specific combinations of spells to use, but it's not nearly as story-driven - the fun is the combat.

For Pillars of Eternity, I've only played the first one (a bit). My problem with that game was that it was trying so hard to be like a D&D game but they couldn't - so the gaming system (as I recall) was rather ham-fisted in design. It felt like I was playing an adjacent version of D&D, but not an easily recognizable version of D&D. As someone well-versed in old-school D&D stuffs (waves arms around head) I remember having a really difficult time parsing whatever role-playing system they'd created.

Which brings me to Pathfinder. While I've never played the PnP version, I have read the system (I like to read) and I can at least understand it as a function of D&D mechanics. Additionally, the computer game's design comes from an adventure path modules that had major NPCs and villains designed by Ed Greenwood (which surprised me to find out).

Anyway, I'm sure someone with actual knowledge and experience can verify, but my vote is for Pathfinder: Kingmaker. True story - I purchased it last week. Haven't fired it up yet. Currently killing cave bears and mammoths.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Apparently Pathfinder has a lot of issues right now, so you may want to hold off?
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

The reviews I've seen (e.g. Rock Paper Shotgun) are in love with DOS 2. It's praised for the wide-open world, the tactical options, and the quality of the writing.

Pathfinder seems to have a lot of promise, but some reviews call it dry, and apparently there are still bugs to be ironed out.

Deadfire is an extension of PoE, meaning it's intricate, technically interesting, and really bloated in the ratio of lore to player choices. I've seen the system described as a DM's game rather than a player's (but unfortunately you're the player). I gave the first PoE about eight hours, but by then I was missing BG2 and went back to install the updated/patched Bioware originals.

Right now I'm leaning towards DOS II, but I should probably wait for the Steam Halloween Sale rather than paying full price. Let's do a willpower check...
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I'm about 25 hours into DOS II and think it's great. I really liked the first one as well, but the sequel is improved in just about every way. Plus, you can play as an undead dude trying to fool people by wearing skin masks of other races. How can you pass that up???
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Holman wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:59 am I have fallen behind on my recent-generation RPGs, and now I'm feeling the itch.

As a lover of the original Baldur's Gates, Planescape, etc, I want to dive into one of these:

Are those the only choices for some reason?
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

DOS2 was a significant upgrade from DOS. I think it’s great!
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Holman

Post by Holman »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:52 am
Holman wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:59 am I have fallen behind on my recent-generation RPGs, and now I'm feeling the itch.

Are those the only choices for some reason?
These are the three that seem to strike my fancy, but I could easily be missing something.

My paradigm is Baldur's Gate-style party-based gaming with deep systems and lots of story to explore.

Something more actiony in the Diablo style doesn't attract me.
morlac

Post by morlac »

The POE series is IMO the closest to the BG series to date. Deep systems and rich intricate story are a go! Plus, I dig the art style and the music is top notch (just like the BG series). Yes, it's systems is different and took me awhile to grasp but it is refreshing and deep should you want to venture down the min max rabbit hole. I think some people bounced off of it because it is so similar to BG in some ways but the core system (combat. char. creation etc.)is completely different and not familiar. It took me a minute but I am glad I spent the time to understand it better. That being said you can;t go wrong with any of your choices really as they are quality RPG's. I just feel that POE is the one closest to the BG experience.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Considered Wasteland 2?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Icewind Dale is less than 5 bucks on Fanatical right now.

:ninja:

It's also only 2 bucks on android/ios.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:27 pm Considered Wasteland 2?
+1 to the suggestion.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:00 am I'm about 25 hours into DOS II and think it's great. I really liked the first one as well, but the sequel is improved in just about every way. Plus, you can play as an undead dude trying to fool people by wearing skin masks of other races. How can you pass that up???
Plus Fane can heal from poison (regular health spells damage him), is immune to death fog, and gets Time Warp which allows an extra turn. The death fog thing makes for some amusing strategies where you can throw barrels of the stuff for some insta kills.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Question- is it worth it to play DOS I before playing DOS 2 or is DOS 2 so much better that playing DOS 1 is not worth it for the story?
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I don’t know that the stories relate at all; at least I haven’t noticed any connections, although it’s been awhile since I played the first game. So I would say just start with DOS 2 and not worry about playing the first one.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:32 pm Icewind Dale is less than 5 bucks on Fanatical right now.

:ninja:

It's also only 2 bucks on android/ios.
Played it in the 90s!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jaddison wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:33 pm Question- is it worth it to play DOS I before playing DOS 2 or is DOS 2 so much better that playing DOS 1 is not worth it for the story?
My general rule is to decide whether I like that style of game well enough to ever play the first one later on. if the answer is yes, I'd play the earlier one first, then enjoy the second as an upgrade. It's easier than the other way around.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

DoS II: no need to play DoS...or any of the other (magnificent) Divinity games as a prerequisite.
Same for PoE II.

Having said that, I personally enjoyed PoE II more. I just thought that it was a better executed game with a tighter story. You can't got wrong with either; and, I'd recommend you play both as time allows!
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Jolor wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:05 pm DoS II: no need to play DoS...or any of the other (magnificent) Divinity games as a prerequisite.
Same for PoE II.

Having said that, I personally enjoyed PoE II more. I just thought that it was a better executed game with a tighter story. You can't got wrong with either; and, I'd recommend you play both as time allows!
I'm in agreement with this. DoS II is magnificent in every way. PoE II is also great and definitely channels the older BG type games. If you like to get into the small details of weapons, skills, etc., then PoE is the way to go. It's a tough comparison because they are both incredible isometric type, party based RPGs. Probably the 2 best of this gen.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

DOS II is my go to game. I even went back and finished all of DOS before its release so I could be caught up. It's one of the few games where I look forward to combat more than I do the actual game at times (same with X-Com).

While you don't need to play DOS before DOS II, I would still grab a copy on sale and play it anyway. It's such an incredibly fun game in its own right.
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I imagine that DOS II will be well-discounted in the Halloween sale. Is PoE II still too new for that?
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

hepcat wrote:DOS II is my go to game. I even went back and finished all of DOS before its release so I could be caught up. It's one of the few games where I look forward to combat more than I do the actual game at times (same with X-Com).

While you don't need to play DOS before DOS II, I would still grab a copy on sale and play it anyway. It's such an incredibly fun game in its own right.
And the multiplayer is fantastic fun.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Holman wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:04 pm I imagine that DOS II will be well-discounted in the Halloween sale. Is PoE II still too new for that?
I’ve already seen POE II at 35 bucks during sales. I’m betting it will be cheaper than DOS II for a while.

But DOS II is still the better game. :wink:
He won. Period.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

since I am an alt-o-holic, am playing DOS 1 and can't really settle on a class(s) to play. so last night I started with Beasly and Halpert as premades. I figure I need two concurrent games going so I can try things completely different ways....so what starting classes would best match Scott and Schrute? Perhaps there are traits that match them as well?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

What I chiefly remember about DOS I is that witchcraft is powerful. Mainly because charm has a good chance of hitting. They pretty much negated this in DOS II.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Really? I haven’t had trouble charming enemies in DOS 2, except when I forget that it checks against magic rather than physical armor.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:30 am Really? I haven’t had trouble charming enemies in DOS 2, except when I forget that it checks against magic rather than physical armor.
That's probably because I focus on physical armor, then give all my characters knockdown.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter