Dakar 18 - The World Famous Annual Rally

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Dakar 18 - The World Famous Annual Rally

Post by jztemple2 »

I was gone on vacation when this came out and when I came home two weeks ago I had planned on getting it, but the lukewarm reviews and the number of updates being released made me hold off. So I finally got it a couple of hours ago. I have run through the tutorial races and the first two rally stages, running a four wheel drive Mitsubishi.

A couple of caveats regarding my impressions. First I am using an X360 controller, so all the high drama from a lot of reviews about how the game isn't supporting some wheel and pedal hardware isn't meaningful to me. It is working just fine with my controller.

Second, I've had an interest for years about the Dakar Rally, ever since it moved to South America. When NBCSN started actually providing coverage I ate that up, plus over the net I've watched the daily reports through British websites. Since this game follows the route of the 2018 event, I'm pretty familiar with the course, the teams and the regulations.

There's an introductory video several minutes long that informs the player about the HUD, driving and navigating. Then there are several tutorials that expand on this by letting you actually experience some racing over different terrain so that you can familiarize yourself with the concept of navigating by compass and distance. I had to do a couple of the tutorials more than once to grasp what was happening, but I got the hang of it eventually.

So, on to the main campaign, err, rally. I selected Rookie difficulty as it includes navigation clues when running off roads or trails, which can be of real help. As mentioned, I'm running a four wheel drive vehicle which the game suggests for rookies.

The first stage, Lima-Pisco, is a short 35km special that isn't too challenging, although I managed to get lost enough on one of the ten waypoints that I needed a reset which added 15 minutes to my stage time.

The second stage, Pisco-Pisco, is a loop that runs out into the dunes, then back near the shore before arriving back near where we left. It's 271km, mostly off-road/trail, so you're navigating by compass and odometer most of the time. And there are some really freakishly large dunes. I completed the stage in 51 minutes, plus another 15 minute penalty. And I don't remember this as being the longest stage.

Impressions
From the standpoint of car physics, my impression is that the way the car is behaving is what I think it should feel like. I know that's not very scientific, but for me, a lot of the nonsense being thrown around in reviews is people just trying to find a reason to complain. I played a lot of race sims over the years, although not that many off-road ones, so I have experienced many interpretations by many games of what the physics should feel like. And in Dakar 18, the physics seem fine to me. It's like modern art, I don't know what it is, but I know what I like.

In terms of graphics, the game is nice looking. Again, I don't set a very demanding high level of expectations. I'm running at 1920x1200 on a 27 inch monitor, with a GTX 1060 6GB. The game defaulted to a graphics quality setting of Epic(!), so I'm guessing what I'm seeing is the best the game has to offer. The level of detail is quite serviceable for the purposes of racing. Regarding views, there are the usual chase, in-car, bumper and overhead views. The in-game view is set too far back from the windscreen for my taste, but then I'm using the chase view because it helps give the best look at the upcoming terrain.

Finally, gameplay. Between those first two stages I've put in more than an hour of racing. And the racing is good. The vertical challenge of running up, down and across the faces of dunes feels very real. The car I'm running felt twitchy at first, but after a few minutes I felt quite at home driving it. I did manage to damage the car bad enough to cause a withdrawal from the stage, from which I was able, as an option, to reload from the last waypoint. And that was on Rookie. I didn't get to see how well damage was modeled, like can I overheat the engine requiring me to drive slowly or just shut down and cool down at intervals. Or how the game handles flat; these cars carry a couple of spares just for that purpose.

I did come across a minor issue. The second stage, according to the information menu page that preceded the run, says there were to be 42 waypoints, but the stage completed info screen said there were 121 waypoints, which sounds right. It might just be the way they count them. I do know that there were ninety(!) navigation road book unique instruction panels. Each panel (which consists of three parts) are graphical representations of the next set of instructions and road conditions, like this:

The road book is one of the more important elements of the game. Rally raids like Dakar are as much about navigation as about raw speed and vehicle performance.

It's 2:30am and I'm wiped so I'm going to wrap up my impressions here. I'll post some more tomorrow.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
The Meal

Re: Dakar 18 - The World Famous Annual Rally

Post by The Meal »

Sounds really cool. It's been a few years since I watched the NBCSN coverage, but it was always a very compelling race.

Does the game model the bikes as well?
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'm confused. In what way is this a Battle Royale game?

I'm pretty sure the industry has decided that everything is now BR.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:20 pm I'm confused. In what way is this a Battle Royale game?

You're thinking of Wreckfest.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

wonderpug wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:27 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:20 pm I'm confused. In what way is this a Battle Royale game?

You're thinking of Wreckfest.
2 eggs, sunny side up and 3 slices of bacon. 2 pieces of white toast. No coffee for me, thanks.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Anyway, sorry for the derail. I just realized while reading the OP that I'm happy they are still making interesting racing games. Rally racing is very cool in general.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The Meal wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:11 pm Sounds really cool. It's been a few years since I watched the NBCSN coverage, but it was always a very compelling race.

Does the game model the bikes as well?
Yup, bikes as well. Also Quads, the big trucks and UTVs. I've only done the 4WD Mitsubishi as of now, but I'm going to try to get in some play time this afternoon.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Completed stage 3, 48 minutes. Lots of dunes and some running in dry stream beds. Had a glitch, losing my co-driver's voice about half way through; apparently this is happening to a lot of folks. But between the subtitles and the road book I was able to get it done. I did miss a couple of waypoints but by running back along the reciprocal of the segment heading I got back on track.

Eye candy:

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Just finished stage 4 and this is what sells the game to me. Started off with a long blast right on the beach, up through a dry wash and then out into the desert scrub, undulations and rocks. And that's not even through the first fifth of the stage. Through a checkpoint then out into the dunes where I manage to mash my car a couple of times flying over a crest. Lots of dunes. No, really, lots of them. Then to another checkpoint and some fast driving on a dirt road, but between the curves and the crests and the bumps, it's easy to lose control. Then another checkpoint and it's off to a long run of scrub desert with big, big rocks, ruins, valleys and a big blast at the end down to the final checkpoint by threading my way through a bunch of rocks the size of houses. I did completely lose my way there but in rookie mode I have heading cheat so I was able to get to the end. Fifty minutes of driving on the edge. Lots of fun :D

More eye candy:

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I just posted this review to Steam:
Summary
In spite of some technical issues, those being audio problems and occasional crashes, the game provides an entertaining and challenging representation of the Dakar Rally of 2018. While the graphics are not cutting edge and for some there are issues with the use of certain control hardware, it does provide a great experience, especially if you are a fan of the Dakar.

In Detail
Note that this review is written with the game incorporating the v.08 update. My rig: Intel i7-4770K 3.5GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 6GB, Win7 64bit Home Premium, 480GB SSD main drive.

A couple of caveats regarding my impressions. First I am using an X360 controller, so all the high drama from a lot of reviews about how the game isn't supporting some wheel and pedal hardware isn't meaningful to me. It is working just fine with my controller.

Second, I've had an interest for years about the Dakar Rally, ever since it moved to South America. When NBCSN started actually providing coverage I ate that up, plus over the net I've watched the daily reports through British websites. Since this game follows the route of the 2018 event, I'm pretty familiar with the course, the teams and the regulations.

There's an introductory video several minutes long that informs the player about the HUD, driving and navigating. Then there are several tutorials that expand on this by letting you actually experience some racing over different terrain so that you can familiarize yourself with the concept of navigating by compass and distance. I had to do a couple of the tutorials more than once to grasp what was happening, but I got the hang of it eventually.

For the purposes of this review I also completed the entire 14 stage rally on Rookie difficulty as it includes navigation clues when running off roads or trails, which can be of real help. I'm running a four wheel drive car which the game suggests for rookies. I have played the game just under fourteen hours.

From the standpoint of car physics, my impression is that the way the car is behaving is what I think it should feel like. I have played a lot of race sims over the years, although not that many off-road ones, so I have experienced many interpretations by many games of what the physics should feel like. And in Dakar 18, the physics seem fine to me. It's like modern art, I don't know what it is, but I know what I like.

In terms of graphics, the game is nice looking. Again, I don't set a very demanding high level of expectations. I'm running at 1920x1200 on a 27 inch monitor, with a GTX 1060 6GB. The game defaulted to a graphics quality setting of Epic(!), so I'm guessing what I'm seeing is the best the game has to offer. The level of detail is quite serviceable for the purposes of racing. Regarding views, there are the usual chase, in-car, bumper and overhead views. The in-game view is set too far back from the windscreen for my taste, but then I'm using the chase view because it helps give the best look at the upcoming terrain.

Finally, gameplay. The racing is good. The vertical challenge of running up, down and across the faces of dunes feels very real. The car I'm running felt twitchy at first, but after a few minutes I felt quite at home driving it. I did manage to damage the car bad enough to cause a withdrawal from the stage, from which I was able, as an option, to reload from the last waypoint. On later stages I ran on a number of terrain types, from flat brush desert to twisting mountain roads to along the beds of rivers. And the weather changed from sunny days to pouring rain days to overcast ones and finally sunny days. And a couple of stages did run from sun in the late afternoon through sunset into the dark.

And these are not WRC stages. A Dakar stage can be several hundred kilometers long. The game does compress distances, which can be disconcerning till you figure it out. The best way to explain it is to think of a Dakar kilometer as only one-forth or one-fifth as long as a kilometer in the real world. So when your codriver says something is two kilometers ahead and you are going, say, 60 kph (which in the real world is one kilometer per minute), you aren't going to have to wait two minutes to reach that point, you will be there in 20-30 seconds. And so when your codriver makes his usual call 500 meters before a waypoint or significant location, your real world mind should think of that being about 110 meters away, or the length of a football pitch (soccer field).

I have seen several problems. The game has crashed four times, but each time I restarted the game loaded the last checkpoint. I can only recommend, when give a pop up menu option that includes quitting the game, take that option and restart. It's not a guarantee, but it might help. I never had a corrupted save, nor did a crash reoccur at the same point of a stage.

The other problem is the dropout of audio, also mentioned by others. The codriver's voice would stop, although I still had other audio. And sometimes the voice audio will start becoming intermittent.

There are other items, not really issues, that could be addressed. Adding more teams, more vehicle types, and more camera locations would be nice. Also, it would be nice if the difficutly levels were adjustable, so that for instance I could run at Normal difficulty with the Rookie waypoint indicators enabled. But these aren't problems with the game so I don't count them against it.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, bikes are a disappointment. The handling physics are more towards the arcade rather than MXGP like. It's almost impossible to fall off the bike unless you hit something or go off a sizeable height. And just to put a disappointing cherry on a mediocre cake, my bike got hung up on a barrier at a checkpoint where the game auto-controls the bike as it transits through. It kept backing up then running into the same spot. I exited and reloaded the game but it is even worse now. So I have to restart the entire stage. I've posted a report.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

News on the first DLC to be released, which will initially be free. This video gives us a taste of the Desafío Ruta 40 Rally...
The “Desafío Ruta 40 Rally” is part of the world-famous “Dakar Series”, a number of cross-country rallies and is the first event of this series to be added to Dakar 18. The race took place between August 27th and 31st in Argentina. As with the main game the team at Bigmoon Entertainment focused all their effort on simulating this challenge to make it as realistic as possible. It will enhance the already existing world of the main game by additional 12.000 km² including five new stages around the beautiful country side of Argentina. To make sure players do not get lost in the challenging world, the DLC includes brand new road books – again based on the original road books handed out to the drivers during the event. Paulo J. Gomes CEO of Bigmoon Entertainment states: “Not only do we want to offer more content to our fans and fans of the Dakar franchise, but we also want to take this chance to honor all competitors facing the multiple harsh challenges of the Dakar Rallies every year, in particular to the heroes who didn’t have the chance to reach the finish line.”
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I have the PC version. I tried single player full Dakar Rally south America. Some of those slow sections are interesting, the fast sections and nav points are interesting as well, but somehow, the driving model is a bit more of "what model"? The Toyota Hilux Dakar handles like a wet lump of tofu.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds