Combat mission fortress italy

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

dbt1949

Combat mission fortress italy

Post by dbt1949 »

Other than having the absolute worst copyright protection on the web and being way over priced does anyone have any experience with it?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Holman

Re: Combat mission fortress italy

Post by Holman »

I'm a lifelong wargamer, and I've been a part of the Combat Mission series community since 1999. I'm convinced it's the best WW2/modern wargame at this scale in every theater it covers. The game is incredibly granular: you give orders to squads and teams, but activity/morale/reactions are tracked for individual soldiers; fire calculates individual bullets and shells; terrain/armor/line-of-sight are mapped to the centimeter; etc. It's a tactical wargamer's wargame. (I'm an evangelist.)

That said, CMFI is probably the least fully supported in terms of user content. The West and East Fronts are just sexier in WW2, and the modern stuff offers cooler toys.

As for the copy protection, it seems like something that should annoy you for one minute during installation and never again thereafter.

Note that the current generation of CM is in a state of anticipation. The newest version of Combat Mission Shock Force (modern tactical battles in the context of a hypothetical US/NATO invasion of Syria) is due any week now, to be followed by a long-anticipated patch to the 4.0 version of the engine for all the other games (which is what you buy if you buy CMFI or any others today).
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Well, I'm interested in the Monte Cassino battle and I can't find it any where else. I haven't played it since the Overlord version but that's dated. The ones they have now look pretty good and easier.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Well, great... now I'm gonna have to try and recover my old installs from a disk pulled from a dead system. Thanks dbt. Should be fun.

I have CM Normandy (with Commonwealth Forces and Market Garden), Fortress Italy and Red Thunder sitting on it. Engine is at the "2" version and I see they are up to "4", now I'm wondering if I'll need to pay to upgrade it like I had to to get from 1 to 2. :?
-mf