Civ VI: Gathering Storm

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lassr

Civ VI: Gathering Storm

Post by Lassr »

New expansion coming feb 14th 2019.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/338035647

Skip ahead 24 hours of video to get to the interviews and talk about the new game features.

New resources ^ resource rules
New future era
climate changes/disasters
World Congress
Diplomatic victory

just a few things mentioned.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Re: Civ VI: Gathering Storm

Post by Kraken »

I'm still waiting for the first expansion to get cheap.

I hope this new one brings the game into a good place. I lost interest in the vanilla game many months ago -- first time I've ever turned away from any Civ game.

(edit) OK, I watched most of the linked video, and it looks pretty good to me.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

They're finally adding a Hall of Fame screen, at least.

Still, $40 is a big ask for the second expansion. I'll probably get it at launch but it's not an automatic buy.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Exodor wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:08 am They're finally adding a Hall of Fame screen, at least.

Still, $40 is a big ask for the second expansion. I'll probably get it at launch but it's not an automatic buy.
Ah! I didn't see that...with the HoF, I'm definitely in. Eventually. But not at that price. I'd pay $40 for both expansions together.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Hopefully it's covered in the season pass I paid $1 for (I got the game from green man gaming. The game on Steam was $60, for $61 on gmg I got the season pass as well).
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:14 am I'm still waiting for the first expansion to get cheap.

I hope this new one brings the game into a good place. I lost interest in the vanilla game many months ago -- first time I've ever turned away from any Civ game.

(edit) OK, I watched most of the linked video, and it looks pretty good to me.
The last expansion added a lot. Still haven't played all of the new Civs. So far, I've only managed go an entire game without a dark age once.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:26 pm
Exodor wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:08 am They're finally adding a Hall of Fame screen, at least.

Ah! I didn't see that...with the HoF, I'm definitely in. Eventually. But not at that price. I'd pay $40 for both expansions together.
@ $40 each, the price per hour will still end up at <$0.01
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

The original Civ 6 is finally in my price range of $14.99.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

I actually have zero interest in it. I dont like disasters in my games, and their "disruptions". Adds no value to my gameplay. The return to having to granularly count resources is a turn off. Meh, hard pass give me Civ 7. Am so done with 6. Stinks because the Civ series is my all time favorite. Meh, maybe in 2020-21 there'll be 7 out.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

I'm looking forward to the expansion. It appears there is a lot more added than the last one, hence the $10 increase most likely. I'm in the minority who really likes VI.

Things that look good to me:
World Congress
8 new civs, 9 new leaders
five new districts
rework of resources
new units
new era added
climate features
canals, railroads, dams, and tunnels
and really looking forward to the disaster features
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Torfish wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:31 pm I'm looking forward to the expansion. It appears there is a lot more added than the last one, hence the $10 increase most likely. I'm in the minority who really likes VI.

Things that look good to me:
World Congress
8 new civs, 9 new leaders
five new districts
rework of resources
new units
new era added
climate features
canals, railroads, dams, and tunnels
and really looking forward to the disaster features
I'm with you. This looks great at first glance.
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

I have lots of complaints about the base game, but still got more fun out of it than out of any other game that has come out in recent years. (Basically by playing the first third of history, declaring victory, and re-starting... Over and over and over.)

First expansion did not change that a whit. Some fun little twists, but still a great early game that turns into a slog if I go too far along into modern times.

Nothing I have seen so far about this expansion seems likely to alter that. I'll probably slog through the late game once to get to the future era and see what it is like. And I like the river flooding mechanic, etc. But I'm pretty sure Civ 6 will still be Civ 6. If you like it, then this will be more of what you like. But if you don't, I cannot imagine that these additions would matter. Unless your whole hang up was the lack of Hall of Fame and building queues, which strikes me as pretty unlikely.
Commish of OOTP online league Dog Days Baseball
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My main thing was the lack of a HoF, which at least gives one a reason to slog through to the end when the prospect of a high score is in sight.

Actually, I got bored with it when all of my games tended to go the same way, regardless of what civilization I played or what type of map. By the time I had won at least once as each civ, I was bored with it. The expansions should give it at least enough new life for me to go through the civ list once more.

I have some other quibbles, like not being able to put religion units on sentry duty to guard against infiltration. But I can live with those if the overall strategic experience is more varied.
RMC

Post by RMC »

I enjoyed it, and I like some of the new things.

I worry about the disasters, as I am not too keen on some of that, but the one example sounded kind of fun. Build a city by a volcano for X benefits, but here are the Y drawbacks if it blows. Maybe there will be some tech added to help mitigate the damage it will cause if it blows?

But I will keep an eye on it, and hopefully this will be good, as I really do enjoy the Civ games.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

RMC wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:41 am I enjoyed it, and I like some of the new things.

I worry about the disasters, as I am not too keen on some of that, but the one example sounded kind of fun. Build a city by a volcano for X benefits, but here are the Y drawbacks if it blows. Maybe there will be some tech added to help mitigate the damage it will cause if it blows?

But I will keep an eye on it, and hopefully this will be good, as I really do enjoy the Civ games.
Disasters have been part of Civ games in the past (all the way back to the primordial Civilization board game when a Nile flood could really ruin Egypt's day). The biggest problem I have is that the time scale for mitigating effects can be out of whack - a flood taking out a lot of city development could take hundreds of years of game time to repair. But, well see how it goes. Anything that makes the outcome less predictable in the late game probably isn't a bad thing as nearly always I'm on autopilot for the last few hundred turns.
Black Lives Matter