Farming Simulator 19 - Battle Royale with Tractors! (not really)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Farming Simulator 19 - Battle Royale with Tractors! (not really)

Post by jztemple2 »

So, Farming Simulator 19 (Steam link) is out; it actually came out last week. I had pre-ordered it as a stopgap to tide me over till Just Cause 4 comes out. I had put in 45 hours on the last one so I figured I would pick up this one since there was a sale.

I downloaded it last Monday night (six days ago), put in four hours and thought to myself, "Well, that was a mistake". It just didn't grab me. So I went off to other things, like reading and going away for a couple of days for Thanksgiving and then some other stuff. And so this evening I was reading and reading and thought, "Heck, I spent money on FS19, I ought to give it another try". So I tried again but this time I didn't try to plan my crop strategies or compare which harvester did what best or who's other farm I should visit to pick up some work to earn the almighty Dollar/Euro. Nope, this time I just went all Zen and drove around and just... farmed.

FS19 is a lot like Euro Truck Simulator 2 or American Truck Simulator. You can get all involved in the business end, or you can just work through the tutorials and then start off with a small, already established farm with a few vehicles and accessories and just farm. The money end is pretty easy to manage, since you start off with various crops in your silo you can sell and instead of buying tractors and whatnot you can just lease them.

I have only six hours in so far so I can't really give definitive impressions, but so far I don't see any bugs or inconsistencies. Some Steam reviews have given thumbs down because folks are having problems with their steering wheels, but I'm using an old X360 controller and it's fine. And some folks are complaining because there isn't enough equipment in the base game :shock: which seems odd to me as there's tons of stuff, but Giant has already started releasing mods. Their system is a good one, instead of using Steam Workshop where you might get some good mods but you'd have to slog your way through a lot of junk, Giant uses a system that reviews mods uploaded to their site in-house to ensure quality and compatibility. They are then made available to be selected and downloaded in-game.

If anyone has questions please post them.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Re: Farming Simulator 19 - Battle Royale with Tractors! (not really)

Post by jztemple2 »

And hey, I have a surfboard in my house!

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i got a used copy of Pure Farming 2018 for the nephews on Xbone. one of them really wanted a Farming Simulator title last year, this should be close enough for a ten year old, right?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Probably :D
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So after being gone a couple of days at a meeting, I sat down yesterday evening to give the game a little time and ended up playing till about 2am :roll:. I now have 19 hours in the game.

One of the ways I'm able to kill time in the game while crops are growing is that the game has not only its own in-game radio, with music recorded for the game in various genres, but it also supports internet radio. Thanks to a Steam Community Guide I've found a site that has hundreds of stations available, so now I have five oldies stations to choose from :D. Nothing like listening to Bobby Vinton or Connie Francis while your canola is reaching maturity.

I started off with four small fields and added another by selling my barn and plowing up the ground to make a new field. Last night I bought two fields a bit away from my farmhouse and storage, but I've got a solution to getting my tractors to the site:

I've also leased a second harvester and header... actually I'm leasing most of my equipment. When I harvested all my canola crop and sold it to the highest bidder, I made $88,000 which sounds like a lot, but that would barely cover buying a new harvester outright. Well, I can always hack the save game XML file :roll: but I'll hold off for now.