Does anybody install games on flashdrives?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

dbt1949

Does anybody install games on flashdrives?

Post by dbt1949 »

And if so, how well does it work?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
TheMix

Re: Does anybody install games on flashdrives?

Post by TheMix »

My best friend used to run a lot of his games off a flash drive. Most of the time it was fine. Though I think he stayed away from the more resource demanding games.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

A lot of modern games install the bulk of themselves where you tell them, and then a bunch of configuration stuff onto a fixed point on your OS drive. And possibly third-party libraries and registry entries and such.

GOG stuff and older DOS games should work stand-alone for the most part, but Steam, nah.

It'll work fine for less resource-intensive games, but a flash drive is going to be slower than an internal drive, so I wouldn't try to put Crysis or Far Cry on there.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

NickAragua wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:28 pm GOG stuff
I have take a few of my GOG low resource using purchases that demonstrably don't write themselves into the registry, etc... and act in a self contained way and install them on to flash drive. It was kinda cool to take a game like Eador Genesis and keep on a memory stick and carry around and play it on any machine around at the time.