Smoove_B

Far Cry - New Dawn (2019)

Post by Smoove_B »

Post apocalyptic fun.

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Re: Far Cry - New Dawn (2019)

Post by Daehawk »

Well hair bleach is still a thing. Also you could .....ohhh I dont know.....shoot the 2 terrors there at the gate and be done with that gang.

Is this a pvp open world game like FO76?

that guy you see through a hole and says thought it would be better...is he the bad guy in the last game?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm betting it's the same map, like Blood Dragon and Primal were, with new characters, storyline and setting. Probably not a Far Cry version of FO76, because I think that might have been the first thing they mentioned. And from what I see, it looks like a pass to me.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Looks fun. It looks like Far Cry. Their formula gets stale by the end of a game, but when I'm in the mood for that formula, nothing fits better.

Speaking of which, I still haven't played 5!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:20 am I'm betting it's the same map, like Blood Dragon and Primal were, with new characters, storyline and setting
From I what I just accidentally spoiled myself with (apparent Far Cry 5 spoiler)
Spoiler:
it is a direct sequel to Far Cry 5, set 17 years later.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I feel the same. I played through Primal a few months ago and by the end I more or less had to force myself to finish it. But when you're in the mood to just run around a ridiculously large outdoor environment and have adventures? It's fantastic.

I haven't played #5 either and this is allegedly coming out in February. Never thought I'd be so far behind on Far Cry games. :D
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Also, Steam lists full retail at $39.99.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Interesting. I wonder then if it's likely closer to Blood Dragon than a true Far Cry sequel (in scope)? Like it's 1.5 Blood Dragons (or however you want to measure it?)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:49 am Interesting. I wonder then if it's likely closer to Blood Dragon than a true Far Cry sequel (in scope)? Like it's 1.5 Blood Dragons (or however you want to measure it?)
It may be a sequel in the storyline, but at that price it sounds like they used the same map and game mechanics, just changing the assets and writing new story scripts. Not that I'm saying that's a bad thing, it's just not all new.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Which follows their pattern of a smaller game built from each larger release.

Far Cry 3 -> Blood Dragon
Far Cry 4 -> Primal
Far Cry 5 -> New Dawn

And for what it's worth, they tend to do the most interesting things with the second games.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:45 pm And for what it's worth, they tend to do the most interesting things with the second games.
I agree with this with respect to Blood Dragon as I haven't gotten Primal yet. Blood Dragoon might have been built on FC3, but it was wild and clever and felt very much NOT like FC3. I don't know what they'll do with New Dawn, but that 2019.02.15 release date means it will give me something to do during tax season while my wife is working five and six days a week. So I'll alter my outlook and just watch for trailers before I decide.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I never really got into Far Cry, think I only played part of 3 and Blood Dragon. And FC5 didn't appeal to me due to anything cult related not being something I've got any interest in playing, but that's a personal preference. And New Dawn is what, Hope County 17 years after nuclear war / winter and a "super bloom" with more crazies, an Akita but apparently no (sorry for the "F" word) fallout? Hmmm.
-mf
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I'm interested in anything PA, so I will probably pick this up. I like this much better than dealing with cultists, I didn't get FC5. So this is a buy from me at some point.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've enjoyed every Far Cry game I've played, so I'm in as long as I can still sit on a mountain side and snipe at guards at outposts for an "undetected" takeover.
He won. Period.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:28 am Yeah, I feel the same. I played through Primal a few months ago and by the end I more or less had to force myself to finish it. But when you're in the mood to just run around a ridiculously large outdoor environment and have adventures? It's fantastic.

I haven't played #5 either and this is allegedly coming out in February. Never thought I'd be so far behind on Far Cry games. :D
I'm way more behind than you. I haven't played any of them meaningfully since #2. The second most played is Blood Dragon for about 10 hours. Not sure what it is but I just can't get them to click and/or I get distracted long enough for the next one to come out and we repeat the cycle. Played 3 a few hours and liked it but...shrug. Never booted up #4 and haven't bought one since. Not sure what is wrong with me as this is right up my alley. Dare i go back to 3 and try again, do I skip it to finally try #4, is there any reason to play Primal? Or should I just jump right into 5 and/or just wait for this one? :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I still have Primal installed. All I lack are the super hard areas and I think one more area. I have most all the pets...even all the rares but one. I have the rare bear and rare sabertooth.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Here's some more info on the game from PC Gamer, in an article titled "Ubisoft is pushing a 'light RPG approach' in Far Cry: New Dawn".
Far Cry: New Dawn is basically a continuation of Far Cry 5, except that the world has been given a nuclear face-wash and all of the oh-so-important things that you fought, bled, and killed for—as with all things in life—meant nothing in the end. But creative director Jean-Sebastien Decant said in a video posted to Twitter today that there's more to the new game than just a reskin with crappier weapons and cooler cars.

"We pushed what we call the 'light RPG' approach in the game to create more depth," Decant says. "So you'll be able to craft guns that have ranks, and these ranks, they will be useful to fight against enemies that also have ranks. We have the brand-new Prosperity home base in which you will be able to rally your characters and invest in order to get better upgrades."

Possibly the most interesting of the changes is the addition of an "escalation system" for outposts. In Far Cry 5, once an outpost had been seized, the locals moved in to assume control and that was that. (The Eden's Gate cult somehow managed to stay active everywhere else in the area, but that's a different matter entirely.) In New Dawn, you'll have a choice: You can take an outpost and its resources, or you can opt to "squeeze it" instead.

"If you squeeze it, you're going to abandon it," Decant explains. "And now that it's vacant, the enemy is going to come back, put more resources in it, and also more defense, and create a new challenge.

The big question is whether the choice to hold or squeeze enemy outposts will be a meaningful one on some level. I'm all for having a little more to do in Far Cry's tightly structured worlds, but there's already lots to shoot at and more meat for the grinder doesn't do much for me in itself. A sheen of strategy in the form of decisions that actually impact the world, though—if sending people to hold a base reduced their numbers elsewhere, for instance, making enemy activity ramp up in other areas or resources harder to collect—could make for a fun twist on the formula.

Far Cry: New Dawn comes out on February 15. So does everything else.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I'm in - at some point :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Jag

Post by Jag »

Grifman wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:40 pm I'm in - at some point :)
$20 is my minimum buy in for any Far Cry game. Just finished FC5. So I'm good to wait until the sale.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Because there are never enough different trailers...

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I played Far Cry 2, skipped 3, played 4, skipped Primal and 5... think I'm due for another go.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Primal and 5 are excellent. Also, 5 leads into New Dawn. Probably won’t hurt your experience, but it might lend some info to your game.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

AWS260 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:11 pm I played Far Cry 2, skipped 3, played 4, skipped Primal and 5... think I'm due for another go.
So...
Played the mediocre one, skipped the great one, played the mediocre one, skipped the two great ones.

And you didn't mention the best of the lot: Blood Dragon.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:00 am
AWS260 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:11 pm I played Far Cry 2, skipped 3, played 4, skipped Primal and 5... think I'm due for another go.
So...
Played the mediocre one, skipped the great one, played the mediocre one, skipped the two great ones.

And you didn't mention the best of the lot: Blood Dragon.
Hey, Far Cry 2 was great! OK, remembering when it was released, it was pretty decent :roll:
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:00 am
So...
That is entirely possible! I'll never know.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Good gosh, no one has any impressions yet? I'd have thrown myself into the ring (wait, is that right?) but I've got some hand numbness issues and I'm keeping myself healthy for the release of the Galactic Civilizations III DLC next week. Plus I find the main characters of New Dawn just as annoying as FC5 and so I'd be skipping all the cut scenes anyway.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'm a few hours away from finishing up Astroneer, I think. Once that is done, I'll be all over this. I have it pre-loaded, I just know that if I quit Astroneer I may not come back.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:42 pm I'm a few hours away from finishing up Astroneer, I think. Once that is done, I'll be all over this. I have it pre-loaded, I just know that if I quit Astroneer I may not come back.
Finished it. Uplay says 14 hours played. It wasn't a completionist play-through but it was pretty close. I enjoyed it. I liked the convenience features and the variety of guns for hire. The gun play felt a little off in the first couple fights but I eventually got used to it. I played primarily stealth, sniping with a silenced sniper rifle for most of the game, but made a kick-ass LMG at the end that made the final fights kind of easy. Nana was my companion with the most kills as I felt she was more effective than The Judge... on the other hand the dog was damn handy when it came to looking for just about anything... really most of them had their place though I had no use for Hurk or the Preacher.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Wow, that was fast. I'm glad you had fun with it. I guess I'll wait for a sale or a giveaway as part of their next big AAA title, which I desperately hope will be Watch Dogs 3 :D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

14 hours? Yikes. This goes on the “not until it goes down to 10 bucks” pile.
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Well, you don't have to run through it that quickly. According to uplay, I've got 18 hours in and am about 50% story progress.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:30 pm Well, you don't have to run through it that quickly. According to uplay, I've got 18 hours in and am about 50% story progress.
I guess you don't like fast travel, or perhaps you *really* like fishing?

I collected all of the music and photographs, did every outpost twice, got 6 out of 8 companions to max level, was equipped with full Tier 4 equipment, had all but 3 base upgrades, did all the treasure puzzles and got every perk including the ones that aren't there when you start. The only things I didn't go deep into is Expeditions and Fishing.

Of course, I am not retired so I might be more motivated to get things done when I have the time available. I had a three day weekend and I took advantage of it... and still played a couple board games!

My story progress is showing 93%. I am not sure what counts toward story progress. I am guessing base upgrades. I just didn't have any need for those last few upgrades and after doing every output twice I am not motivated to do them a third time... although there is an achievement for doing a Tier 3 outpost undetected. I might need to get Nana back out of the home for that...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Most likely fishing is the one thing Id do a lot of in a game. Every game I used to play that had water I wondered if it had fishing. Most didn't and disappointed me there.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:28 pm
Max Peck wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:30 pm Well, you don't have to run through it that quickly. According to uplay, I've got 18 hours in and am about 50% story progress.
I guess you don't like fast travel, or perhaps you *really* like fishing?
Replace fishing with hunting, and you'd not be wrong. :)

For me, half the fun in a Far Cry game is running/driving/flying around and shooting up the landscape, and I can't do that with fast travel.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I finally got around to finishing off the story tonight (I got sidetracked by running outposts and expeditions). According to uplay, I'm at 93% story progress after 34 hours. I fully upgraded the base, cleared all the side missions, maxed out all the companions and completed all the challenges except the 2 co-op ones, so I'm not sure where the last 7% progress is hiding (unless it's just bugged).

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Same percentage I have but more complete so... yeah no idea.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I got this during the sale, I played all of the previous ones starting with 3. It's pretty fun. Seems just a little sparse somehow, though. That questgiver guy really gets around! He's always 2 steps ahead of me. Maybe he should be saving the county?

Funniest/most fun moment so far: Driving around in the Hurkmobile with Nana (who is screaming about outliving everyone!), while Louie Louie is playing on the radio. And then Daydream Believer starts playing, then we get in a firefight and I leave her behind to drive a fuel truck into camp, and not one minute later she comes rolling up in my truck! This game makes its own entertainment.
There is no hug button. Sad!