Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

Astroneer (Subnautica crossed with Minecraft)

All discussions regarding PC gaming.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis

coopasonic

Astroneer (Subnautica crossed with Minecraft)

Post by coopasonic » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:29 pm

Apparently I'm going to be the guy posting about games nobody else is playing. My son has been begging me for this for a long time. He sees it more like a 3D Factorio, but it isn't really anything like Dactorio in my eyes. It's much more like Minecraft with better graphics (Subnautica type aesthetic, but space-themed) and a sort of survival thing, though it doesn't really get into survival. You aren't hitting rocks with trees to get started which again is more like subnautica. You have technology and limited resources and need to ladder into access to more and more resources and technology until??? well I don't know. It has multiplayer support, supporting up to 4 I think. I have only played with two.

The game is still in Early Access but has a release date set for next month. The downside is that a week or so before the release a new patch will invalidate all alpha saves so anything you do before that will be lost. I am cool with that as we are just messing around learning the game.

The tutorial in the current version is total crap. Now that I have a clue I need to restart the tutorial and see if I can complete it. The game is still a bit buggy with clipping issues being the main problem in the few hours we have played.

We are close to interplanetary travel and we will be doing that next as we need resources now that aren't on the first planet, but I feel like we could still putz around the first planet for a LONG time exploring and finding research items. It's actually kind of similar to No Man's Sky in the planetary exploration. There is no wildlife that I have seen so far, but there is aggressive flora. We've been murdered by multiple plants although we know what to look out for now, at least on our home planet.

There is solar, wind and bio-power. Bio requires pretty constant harvesting of plants. Solar and wind have the obvious limitations, though nights are pretty short. We have a buggy and a couple rovers to wander the planet (which is small enough that you could probably circumnavigate it in 20 minutes (just a guess but the visible curvature is significant from the ground).

Steam says a bunch of you have it, but nobody is talking about it. One of my friends recommended against it on steam, I think by the avatar it might be Lorini. I'm curious to hear her thoughts on it.
-Coop

Paingod

Re: Astroneer (Subnautica crossed with Minecraft)

Post by Paingod » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:34 pm

A link for the lazy.

I looked this one over a while back, but couldn't get fired up about it. The palette is very No Man's Sky, which doesn't click with me. Already having No Man's Sky and a few other games like Empyrion to poke at with a stick didn't help.
More than ever, now is the time to stand by the causes you believe in; donate and support to keep America great.
Reproductive Rights, Environmental Defense, Civil Liberties, LGBTQ Awareness, Immigration Rights
Currently playing: Mordor: Shadow of War, Curious Expedition

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:47 pm

The big thing that makes an exploration game like that work for me is a first person view. I want to feel like I am exploring, not watching a tiny figure exploring.
[This space left intentionally blank.]

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:48 pm

Astroneer is high on my desired games list, but I'm getting it only after it leaves Early Access.
"A plan is a list of things that go wrong. I like to keep my lists short. Just be ready." - Rico Rodriguez

Tao

Post by Tao » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:19 pm

jztemple2 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:48 pm
Astroneer is high on my desired games list, but I'm getting it only after it leaves Early Access.
+1

I have been watching this for quite some time now and am excited they are getting ready to move to live, I just wasn't willing to bite while it was EA.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez

Lorini

Post by Lorini » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:54 pm

Yeah I could have recommended against it because as you found out the tutorial is terrible. I couldn't finish it. Astroneer is a game I'd like to like but can't.
Steer into the drift.

Apollo

Post by Apollo » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:38 pm

Blackhawk wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:47 pm
The big thing that makes an exploration game like that work for me is a first person view. I want to feel like I am exploring, not watching a tiny figure exploring.
I completely agree. Besides, I already have games, like the previously mentioned Empyrion, to scratch this game's particular itch.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:46 pm

OK, that was... brief. I've played for about 16 hours and there isn't really anything interesting left to do. I was hoping for some actual base building or tech tree progression, but there is really very little to the progression. You can unlock pretty much everything in a weekend and once you have everything unlocked there isn't much you can do with it. Travel between planets and build the same stuff on those other planets. Note: there are only a handful of planets and the resources available on each is fixed so you open the spreadsheet, find where iron is, fly there and gather iron then fly back. It isn't *really* that simple as with the basic small shuttle you can only carry what you can have on your person which is only 14 small things so you have to plan what you take very carefully. Early on you are using solid fuel thrusters so you aren't traveling willy nilly, you need to find some rarer resources to build those.

Anyway, I'll see what they do coming out of early access, but based on what is in the alpha it just isn't enough.
-Coop

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:55 pm

coopasonic wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:46 pm
OK, that was... brief. I've played for about 16 hours and there isn't really anything interesting left to do. I was hoping for some actual base building or tech tree progression, but there is really very little to the progression. You can unlock pretty much everything in a weekend and once you have everything unlocked there isn't much you can do with it. Travel between planets and build the same stuff on those other planets. Note: there are only a handful of planets and the resources available on each is fixed so you open the spreadsheet, find where iron is, fly there and gather iron then fly back. It isn't *really* that simple as with the basic small shuttle you can only carry what you can have on your person which is only 14 small things so you have to plan what you take very carefully. Early on you are using solid fuel thrusters so you aren't traveling willy nilly, you need to find some rarer resources to build those.

Anyway, I'll see what they do coming out of early access, but based on what is in the alpha it just isn't enough.
Oh dear :oops:
"A plan is a list of things that go wrong. I like to keep my lists short. Just be ready." - Rico Rodriguez

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:29 am

I checked out a "base building" video to see what people were doing there as apparently that is a thing. It's all terraforming for underground bases. The terraforming tools are apparently pretty robust. If you are into that sort of thing, that might help. I am not.
-Coop