Rocket League Forum Tourney?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Would anyone be interested in an OO Rocket League Tourney? I figure the game is popular enough and widely accessible and I'm assuming almost everyone would have gotten it by now. So I thought it would be fun to see how workable this would be. Could be fun to have a little friendly competition.

Instructions on how to get your RocketID: Load up the game. In the bottom right corner of the screen is a new icon. This is the new Friends list and where the RocketID is found. The game likes to give you a random RocketID, and depending on username, might end up being something generic that you can change. Format is [Username#RandomNumber].

IN:
Morlac - Morlac#1811
Pyperkub - Pyperkub#7030
Rumpy - SmoothFonzo#9917
Ralph-Wiggum - Limulusman#9431
Last edited by Rumpy on Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
morlac

Re: Rocket League Forum Tourney?

Post by morlac »

I'd be up for this but I'm not sure how many play it on here. I love me some Rocket League.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Can it be played cross platform? I have it for the PS4. I’ve only played a few times and am terrible, but I’d still be up for it.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Yeah, I have it on the Xbox
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:38 am Can it be played cross platform? I have it for the PS4. I’ve only played a few times and am terrible, but I’d still be up for it.
Yes, in fact they just announced cross-platform play, which opens it up even further and would make this easier to do. How it ends up connecting to the different services, I don't know. I've only ever played a couple of times online with it, and have mostly been focusing on playing local seasons to get better at it, which I feel is a good way to practice.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
morlac

Post by morlac »

Rumpy wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:54 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:38 am Can it be played cross platform? I have it for the PS4. I’ve only played a few times and am terrible, but I’d still be up for it.
Yes, in fact they just announced cross-platform play, which opens it up even further and would make this easier to do. How it ends up connecting to the different services, I don't know. I've only ever played a couple of times online with it, and have mostly been focusing on playing local seasons to get better at it, which I feel is a good way to practice.
edit: i must be misremembering. I thought it was always cross platform on console and PC? I swear I turned this feature off? Not full Sony, Nintendo, MS but at least one of them was croos platform?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Last November, I attended a Extra Life gaming event where it was cross Xbox and pc play, on a local network, at least.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Stefan Stirzaker

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

Would love to depending on us to aus time conversion
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

morlac wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:54 pm
edit: i must be misremembering. I thought it was always cross platform on console and PC? I swear I turned this feature off? Not full Sony, Nintendo, MS but at least one of them was croos platform?
It was, to a certain extent, but was limited to random matchmaking. Now with the PS4 joining cross-play, they'll have more features such as being able to create and join parties across systems; PC (Steam), XBox, PS4, Switch.

They say that players can currently create private matches and invite that way, which is the likely method we'd end up using.

https://kotaku.com/rocket-league-now-ha ... 1831740551
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
morlac

Post by morlac »

Ok, good not going crazy. I knew had played against PS4 people before as I turned off cross platforming for awhile. Very cool they got it wide open across all platforms now. I hope this sets a precedent.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, me too. The only other game I know that does this is Fortnite. But I think from a gameplay perspective, Rocket League is a bit more accessible.

I'm thinking if we get 12 interested in going at it, we'll be golden. I'm also thinking of inviting GT posters (those not already on here) to help fill in the ranks. Thoughts?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Sounds good to me! If can't get enough from OO/GT, I have some non-OO friends (weird, I know) that play Rocket League that I might be able to convince to join.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

There's also Qt3, where a few OO/GT posters have ended up.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Rumpy wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:55 pm
morlac wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:54 pm
It was, to a certain extent, but was limited to random matchmaking. Now with the PS4 joining cross-play, they'll have more features such as being able to create and join parties across systems; PC (Steam), XBox, PS4, Switch.

They say that players can currently create private matches and invite that way, which is the likely method we'd end up using.

https://kotaku.com/rocket-league-now-ha ... 1831740551
Looks like they'll be updating to add cross-platform parties tomorrow:
In just a few short days, Rocket League players will be able to group up and queue into matches with players on all platforms.

Today, Psyonix announced that Cross Platform Parties, a featured officially called "Friends List" will be released to all players on February 19. Fans will be assigned a "RocketID" comprised of your username and four random numbers (the same system used by Discord) that uniquely identifies you across all platforms. Players will be able to add players to their Rocket League Friends List using their RocketID and join parties with their friends on any platform.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:31 pm Sounds good to me! If can't get enough from OO/GT, I have some non-OO friends (weird, I know) that play Rocket League that I might be able to convince to join.
True, although I'm far less familiar with that forum and admittedly had a bad experience there in the past, so I'd like to keep it closer to home if possible. FWIW, I don't mind inviting specific friends.

Oh and good news about the cross-platforming, Pyper. I had wondered when that would come into effect. Good timing, I think!
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
morlac

Post by morlac »

Definitely throw up a new post on GT's new forum. I' really hope we can get enough interest. RL has been my most played game the last couple of years. I'm not an expert by any means but know enough to be pretty dangerous and have no problem coaching others up. Game is layered like an onion; just when i think I've peeled back enough to be good I'll team up with some real masters which leaves me in tears. It has one of the best learning curves ever. Equally rewarding at the beginning as it is at the end (I'm, not there yet nor will I ever be)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I plan on doing that soon. The sooner the better, I think. Given that the cross-platform updates are coming soon, it will be good to catch everyone when interest is high.

I recommend anyone who's interested in the tourney to get a local season going on their end to serve as practice. I doubt I'll be anywhere close to being the best player, but it will be interesting to see how everything unfolds. If this is a big enough success, I could see us doing it several times a year.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I don't think I've played in a year or so, but it was a good time (xBox)

Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I'd play if needed to fill out the ranks.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

INstructions sort of (I hate videos):
CHANGES AND UPDATES

Friends List

The new Friends List allows you to add friends from other gaming platforms to Parties and Clubs.

Accessible on the bottom menu bar next to Party Chat, it has four distinct tabs:
Friends
This tab shows your Friends from the platform you’re playing on

You can invite these Friends to Parties and Clubs from this menu by clicking on their name

RocketID
This tab shows your Friends on other platforms that you’ve added via RocketID

From here, you can select “Add Friend by RocketID” to search for a friend’s ID

You can input their name if you don’t know their full tag to do a search

Recent Players
Displays the last 25 players you played with or against that you aren’t already friends with

Alerts
Shows any pending RocketID Friend Requests you’ve received as well as active Party Invites, Club Invites, and other Notifications

Your ‘RocketID’ is assigned the first time you log in using your name plus a random four-digit code
If your name doesn’t pass our language filter, you’ll be assigned a temporary, auto-generated name like Octane#1234

You can change your RocketID at any time for any reason via the RocketID Tab

Show RocketIDs: Hide your RocketID from displaying in your Friends List (Under Options > Interface)
Players can use this feature to hide their RocketID during a live broadcast

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Pyperkub#7030

Probably because after over a year off, 70% of me sucks and the other 30% sucks more!

morlac

Post by morlac »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:57 am Pyperkub#7030

Probably because after over a year off, 70% of me sucks and the other 30% sucks more!
No, worries. It's just like riding a bike....with rockets.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Seems like we're getting lots of buzz on both sides, with GT's staff possibly joining in, and with possible Twitch streaming of the final matches. Looking good!
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Ok, now that crossplay has been implemented, can anyone who has expressed interest but hasn't yet posted their RocketID please do so. Thanks!

I'll edit the OP to add in the RocketIDs as they come in.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

My rocket ID is Limulusman#9431
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Thank you, Ralph. OP Updated!
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

It's been awhile, but maybe this summer we could get this off the ground?
Rocket League Radical Summer Event

Rocket League is bringing you a new event called Radical Summer. The event is 80’s themed which is a celebration of the 1980’s. Rocket League fans were waiting for an update from the fun vehicular soccer video game. As E3 is approaching, Rocket League wasn’t waiting around for the major event to release the news.

The Radical Summer will be the largest in-game event in the game’s four-year history. It kicks off June 10th and will last for nine weeks. ..

...Radical Summer Event Breakdown

The event will be broken down into three events:

’80s Blockbusters: June 10 – July 1
’80s Culture: July 1 – July 22
’80s Television July 22 – August 12

Each event will last three weekends and feature a collection of iconic 80’s inspired game modes never before seen

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I would love to get it off the ground this summer. I think the difficulty has been in getting enough people to make a tourney work properly. Between OO and GT, it should technically be easy, but it's been a bit harder than that to get much traction. But with these new modes maybe we can get enough interest.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
morlac

Post by morlac »

The new modes seem kinda meh. However, the chance to buy the Ecto-1 and Kitt cars plus Ghostbuster/Knightrider stuff makes little 12 year old me giggle. My freaking ringtone is the theme to Knightrider.

I'm still up for a tournament or even casual play whenever. I've got it on PC and Xbox but I guess that doesn't matter anymore.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

No, it doesn't, but I've noticed there's a bit of a hiccup. I've been playing cross-play with a friend of mine for several weeks now. I'm playing via Steam and he's playing on the PS4. The issue is the lack of voice chat. At this point, I'm surprised there isn't in-game voice chat supported across the board given that they've introduced crossplay. Seems to me that would be an important element, as coordinating without it can be a bit of a pain. Something to consider when planning things out. We've been using Skype, which isn't an ideal solution for a tourney.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

johnlyons

Post by johnlyons »

Many students in the USA and UK are looking for spam
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Man - I was real excited someone wanted to restart an OO RL tournament. What a disappointment.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I'm sorry it didn't work out, guys. I kept pushing, but certainly GT's forum closure didn't help things. I thought it'd be easier to get it off the ground.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

In case it wasn't clear: my comment was in response the the spam that necroed the thread.

That said, I'm still down for a tournament if we can organize one. I've been playing a lot with my brother and his kid, so I'm sure they would be interested as well.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Oh, I know. I just felt compelled to apologize for it not working out. I had high hopes. I just don't know if we have the numbers on our own.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I saw the date and not the year and thought this was happening now.

At any rate, I'd be up for it if there is interest.
Stefan Stirzaker

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

I play way too much already so if anyone wants a tourney or doubles/triples partner let me know
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Is there a minimum number of people you need for a tournament?
Black Lives Matter