Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Post by coopasonic »

https://www.sekirothegame.com

PS4/XB1/PC(Steam) - Releases 3/22

It's the newest game from From Software, the Dark Souls people. It's supposed to be different, but still pretty similar mechanics. I figure we should have a thread on it. I'm going back on forth on this one mostly because GMG only has a small discount on it and the pre-order bonus is not of interest to me and I am heavily into The Division 2 right now. On the other hand I want this to sell well so they keep making games. :D What I need is for Skiny to buy it, hate it and sell it to me cheap in a couple of weeks.

Anyone else looking forward to this? Planning on getting it day one?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
MonkeyFinger

Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Though I do usually suck at games like this, it intrigued me for some reason so... it will be showing up on my doorstep Friday. We'll see! :D
-mf
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:37 am What I need is for Skiny to buy it, hate it and sell it to me cheap in a couple of weeks.
Hush, you.

I so wanted this to be more a revival of From’s old Tenchu series (one of my favorites from the PS1/2 era), and less “Dark Souls with ninjas”. From everything I’ve seen, however, it looks like they went more in the Souls direction, so I’ll probably be staying away. :(
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!IN IN IN IN IN IN IN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I adore the series and they usually have rock solid launches so I see no reason to wait. Aside from the fact that I have 800 other things I'm playing. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Sigh. I've tried and failed to get into Dark Blood SoulsBorne several times, but I get the appeal I'm always tempted to try again. The medieval Japan setting appeals to me a lot more (see avatar for evidence) and it seems like a great fit for this sort of gameplay.

Preordering now, despite also having 800 other things on my plate at the moment. :shock:
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I haven't even started Dark Souls 3 or Bloodborne yet, but this looks great and I'll get it some day.

I was thinking this was Ghost of Tsushima at first, which also looks great.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

wonderpug wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:23 pm Sigh. I've tried and failed to get into Dark Blood SoulsBorne several times, but I get the appeal I'm always tempted to try again. The medieval Japan setting appeals to me a lot more (see avatar for evidence) and it seems like a great fit for this sort of gameplay.

Preordering now, despite also having 800 other things on my plate at the moment. :shock:
Nioh is in the same vein and a very good game.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Watched a couple reviews this morning. I so want to like this game, but I just know I'd end up frustrated with the difficulty.

Still, it looks so dang cool... :?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:29 pm
wonderpug wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:23 pm Sigh. I've tried and failed to get into Dark Blood SoulsBorne several times, but I get the appeal I'm always tempted to try again. The medieval Japan setting appeals to me a lot more (see avatar for evidence) and it seems like a great fit for this sort of gameplay.

Nioh is in the same vein and a very good game.
+1.

Taking swing #2 at it now. It's much easier the second time around. :) :oops:
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Oh my god why did I buy this?! I'm so bad at these games. If only I had several failed attempts at getting into this series to help me know beforehand that I would be terrible at this.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

If you bought it on PS4 I can take it off your hands at a steep discount. It's the only way you will learn! :twisted:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

1 hour impression. I might refund it. It's an amazing game, but this doesn't fit me at all. I LOVE Dark Souls and hated Bloodborne. The pace of combat reminds me of blood and the quick reaction times to combat are not my thing. I'm thinking I'll refund it and pick it back up when it goes on sale.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Octavious wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:11 pm I LOVE Dark Souls and hated Bloodborne.
You got that so backwards.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:35 pm +1.

Taking swing #2 at it now. It's much easier the second time around. :) :oops:
But not much easier enough. I'll probably post in the Nioh thread in the near future. It'll be the exact same whining I did last time.

I won't be picking up Sekiro until it's on sale, but that's just because buying anything on release is incredibly rare for me these days, not because any poor impression.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:22 pm Watched a couple reviews this morning. I so want to like this game, but I just know I'd end up frustrated with the difficulty.

Still, it looks so dang cool... :?
A difficultly level you cannot change. :( I spent some time with it very late last night, basically up until I got my "prosthetic". Died over and over during this tutorial section and almost gave up on getting past the first checkpoint, but then got a better handle on the timing of defense versus offense and when you get it, it's pretty awesome. We'll see how this goes!
-mf
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

This feels much harder than Dark Souls. In the other games I can find a weapon that works for me. Here, I hope the sword works for you. I had no problem with anything up through the tutorial. I wreck the guy you can practice on with relative ease... and then there is the first real enemy... ouch. You can skip him for a while at least, but then there's the freaking hammer guy. My confidence has been shaken awfully early in the game. I did manage to get one skill point, so yay!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Oh god.

Maybe this isn't the game for me after all.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This thread is definitely saving me $60. If it's that difficult, there's no way I'd enjoy it.

Thanks guys!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:54 am This feels much harder than Dark Souls. In the other games I can find a weapon that works for me. Here, I hope the sword works for you. I had no problem with anything up through the tutorial. I wreck the guy you can practice on with relative ease... and then there is the first real enemy... ouch. You can skip him for a while at least, but then there's the freaking hammer guy. My confidence has been shaken awfully early in the game. I did manage to get one skill point, so yay!
OK, it's not as bad as I thought. That first guy just has an attack you can't deflect or dodge... you have to jump it. I think maybe I was given that information and just didn't process it. Adding jump to my combat repertoire made the hammer guy much easier as well.

On the other hand I watched one the Dark Souls "pros" on twitch last night in an actual boss fight and... wow.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Have you found a way to see those tutorial messages again?
-mf
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:42 pm Have you found a way to see those tutorial messages again?
You can go through all the training with the practice guy at the starting area and it shows the tutorial bits for each section.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

coopasonic wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:48 pm
MonkeyFinger wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:42 pm Have you found a way to see those tutorial messages again?
You can go through all the training with the practice guy at the starting area and it shows the tutorial bits for each section.
Thanks, I'd missed him the first time I'd gone through that area but found him when I went back.
-mf
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Hey Coop, you should record a boss fight and put it on your channel. I'll take a look.

Or not. Not trying to assign you work, just an idea.
Roman

Post by Roman »

Anyone figure out how to get the 'shiny' at the very very very start in the well? If turn around and head deeper into the cave there is water and a ledge with a shiny on it. Can't seem to figure out how to get to it.
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:09 am Hey Coop, you should record a boss fight and put it on your channel. I'll take a look.

Or not. Not trying to assign you work, just an idea.
But then you would know how bad I really am at these games. I'm getting better at this one, but I still have a ways to go.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I saw a post on reddit that highlights the difficulty of the game in a way I hadn't thought of. In all of the other Soulsborne games, you can grind you way to victory. You can grind enemies to collect souls to level up and power up your character to make everything easier. In Sekiro, the only way you get more health or more attack power is through progression. You have to take down the bosses to advance. Grinding can absolutely help with buying skills, but those benefits are minor compared to what you get through progression and different skills trees are also gated by progression. There are still some options on how you progress (that boss first instead of this one) but for the most part this time you really do just have to git gud.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I gave it another real try, got past the part I was completely stuck on, and got stuck on a new part. There may be hope yet.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

wonderpug wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:29 am got past the part I was completely stuck on, and got stuck on a new part.
That is the game.

"I'm stuck, goddammit this game sucks, I suck. Dammit lemme try again. Haha wrecked that asshole. Holy shit what is this new thing? I'm never getting past this."
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:34 am
wonderpug wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:29 am got past the part I was completely stuck on, and got stuck on a new part.
That is the game.

"I'm stuck, goddammit this game sucks, I suck. Dammit lemme try again. Haha wrecked that asshole. Holy shit what is this new thing? I'm never getting past this."
That is the nature of all Darksouls-esque games I think.

I'm playing Nioh again and while I'm much, much better this second time around the frustration levels are incredibly high anyway. It's still as frustrating as it ever was, just less frequently. Honestly Nioh is at my tolerance limit for this sort of thing. If Sekiro is worse, then...no thanks, as much as I'm disappointed in that conclusion. The original Darksouls is a cakewalk compared to Nioh.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah I meant to expand the comment to all Souls-likes. Also, in retrospect this kind of counters my response to Blackhawk's question about frustration in another thread. To be clear, my comment here is hyperbolic for comedic effect, but there really is frustration, but it is over-balanced by the satisfaction derived from overcoming that frustration and moving on to the next frustrating challenge. Sometimes I do say things my kids shouldn't hear... and then gently set my controller down and take a break from the game, but I always come back and give it another because I know it's possible. If it gets really frustrating, youtube and reddit are my friends. Sekiro in particular all of the bosses and minibosses so far have critical weaknesses you can take advantage of. Also, unlike more typical Souls bosses and more like Bloodborne, here aggression more often is the right answer.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I immediately apologize to the household and then keep going, because I'm really f**king stubborn.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Do I dare even ask if this is playable with k/m?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stimpy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:43 pm Do I dare even ask if this is playable with k/m?
I don't see why it wouldn't be, but I don't have any experience playing this sort of game that way so I can't comment on how well it works.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If someone can beat Dark Souls with a Guitar Hero controller, I'm sure you can use K/M.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i really like the look of the fights, from the video i saw. how much fine control do you have over your stances and weapon positioning?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:49 am i really like the look of the fights, from the video i saw. how much fine control do you have over your stances and weapon positioning?
None. Nioh has stances, Sekiro has... Sekiro.

You get to choose three attachments for your arm, one combat skill (special attack) and five quick use items and one other thing that I haven't unlocked yet. You also spend skill points on passives and options for combat skills and more unlock as you progress the game. You also spend resources and money on upgrades for your attachments, again with more options unlocking as you progress.

In actual combat you have a directional dodge, attack, strong attack, jump, parry/deflect, use attachment, use grapple, use combat skill. Upgraded attachments have multiple ways they can be used, usually one is a press and hold for enhanced effect.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I just watched a guy do the final fight, basically perfect... at the end of a speed run. Her completed the entire game in 1:08:38. I have been playing for 14 hours and have only defeated ONE BOSS out of ELEVEN.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Welcome to GreenGoo plays Nioh. Looking for specific advice on how to beat a boss, I'm invariably provided with a video of some 13 year old who hasn't a clue but manages to win anyway because they never miss a Dodge.

Here's my guide for beating every boss in the game: Dodge when it attacks you.

Grrr.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I've decided to step away from this and come back to it when I finish Metro Exodus, Sekiro needs my full attention and muscle memory.

Found this PC Gamer combat guide 17 tips for mastering the blade and minimizing losses and this one as well there Is Sekiro too hard? :think:
-mf
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Boss #2 down, 8 minibosses down (easy to keep count since they give prayer beads and 4 prayer beads gives you a health boost). I am up to 5 charges on the healing gourd, which also helps. Seven spears is next on my hit list.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter