MLB The Show 19 (PS4 exclusive)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

ChuckB

MLB The Show 19 (PS4 exclusive)

Post by ChuckB »

The game is coming out tomorrow and I'm still debating (with myself) if I should get it.

Background: MLB The Show 08 (in 2008) was the reason I initially got a PS3. I think I bought all (or most of all) games of the series (including for PS Vita for a while) and really enjoyed them. Traditionally, I played mainly RTTS (the career mode Road to the Show) and in 2017, I played quite a bit online matches (although some imbalances - yes, I'm looking at you, unfair stealing mechanism) made it a bit of a mixed experience.

I absolutely loved the 2018 version, led my player in RTTS to one World Series win (with the Cubs) but then, starting last spring, actually started to play a complete franchise season (again, with the Cubs). I played all 162 games in full, followed by the offseason.

So, now MLB The Show 19 is coming out and I looked at the new features and I have trouble getting excited ...

Any opinions?

Oh, for anyone interested, here is a (pretty long) video of parts of the last franchise game I played:

World Series game 6 in Wrigley between the Chicago Cubs and the NY Yankees (Cubs lead the series 3-2). It's the bottom of the 9th inning, the Yankees lead 7-4 with one out and Aroldis Chapman is trying to close the game ...

https://youtu.be/k1nKvZTwxCQ
Baroquen

Re: MLB The Show 19 (PS4 exclusive)

Post by Baroquen »

I pre-ordered and will probably play a bit tonight at the midnight release. Can't wait, and if the game lives up to the hype/positive reviews, it should hopefully be better than last year. I'm looking forward to RTTS again (now that there aren't stat caps like in 18), March to October sounds interesting, and I like some of the changes coming to Diamond Dynasty (different conquest maps look cool).

But I'm not sure if there's been much changed with franchise so if you're on the fence, you may want to wait.
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Baroquen wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:01 pm I pre-ordered and will probably play a bit tonight at the midnight release. Can't wait, and if the game lives up to the hype/positive reviews, it should hopefully be better than last year. I'm looking forward to RTTS again (now that there aren't stat caps like in 18), March to October sounds interesting, and I like some of the changes coming to Diamond Dynasty (different conquest maps look cool).

But I'm not sure if there's been much changed with franchise so if you're on the fence, you may want to wait.
Yeah, I think I'll wait. The pre-order bonus is rather "meh", so I'll not lose much/anything. Also, I'm pretty busy with The Division 2 at the moment ...
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm planning on mostly focusing on DD so getting the new version is a no brainer. I generally don't spend any money, but find that it's a fun diversion. Especially while I wait for people to come up with good sliders for the game.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Defense is LIGHT YEARS better than it ever has been. It's seriously amazing some of the plays I've seen so far. Hell I've had the 1st baseman toss the pitcher the ball multiple times in a game. That particular play didn't happen very often in 18 even though it's a typical play in real life.

The new modes are super fun and there's just so much to do that when you get bored with one you move to another mode and it's fresh again. Major major thumbs up so far.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Octavious wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:33 am Defense is LIGHT YEARS better than it ever has been. It's seriously amazing some of the plays I've seen so far. Hell I've had the 1st baseman toss the pitcher the ball multiple times in a game. That particular play didn't happen very often in 18 even though it's a typical play in real life.

The new modes are super fun and there's just so much to do that when you get bored with one you move to another mode and it's fresh again. Major major thumbs up so far.
Please don't make me buy this game. Please
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Go read the operation sports impressions page. They all agree.

I'm going to see if I can figure out how to share screenshots and videos from the PS4. Oddly enough I've never tried. The view of the Polo Grounds yesterday was so stunning that I called over my wife to look. She pretended that it was amazing. She's a good lass. ;)

ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Octavious wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:04 pm Go read the operation sports impressions page. They all agree.

I'm going to see if I can figure out how to share screenshots and videos from the PS4. Oddly enough I've never tried. The view of the Polo Grounds yesterday was so stunning that I called over my wife to look. She pretended that it was amazing. She's a good lass. ;)
[Sticking fingers in ears] Lalalalalala

Sharing screenshots and videos is easy. Just press the "share" button (I set it up that a single press shares a screenshot and a longer press saves the last 10mins of video - I think you can set this to up to 15 mins). The actual sharing takes just one more step - I linked the video sharing to a YouTube account I only use for sharing game videos I created (the video in my original post is from that account). For screenshots, the easiest for me was to connect the sharing to a Twitter account (again, that I only use for this purpose). I found these methods to be the easiest ways to get the media out of the Sony/PlayStation ecosystem (I'm mainly using Mac, so both ways are platform-independent)
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Octavious wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:04 pm Go read the operation sports impressions page. They all agree.

How did you get Polo Grounds? Did you complete the Classic stadium collection, or was it a Moment/Mission?

I'm enjoying the game so far. Seems to me the drop rate for packs is better than before. I've pulled Diamond Andrew Miller, Jacob DeGrom, and my son pulled a Diamond Yelich already. Several golds too. I've sold most cards and will buy cards I prefer in a week or two for much cheaper prices.

But yes, lots of modes, lots of activities. I may play some March to October before bed. And I haven't even touched Road to the Show yet. (That used to be the only mode I played).
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I don't have the polo grounds. I just played the Moments for WIllie Mays and one has that stadium.

Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Octavious wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:37 am I don't have the polo grounds. I just played the Moments for WIllie Mays and one has that stadium.
Gotcha. I did the same for one of the Babe Ruth moments and ended up at the Polo Grounds. The black and white use for flashbacks like that was new and interesting.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Is there a fun way to play an abbreviated version of a baseball game? Like I would be interested in the game, but I'm not going to have time to play a baseball game length game very often. Can you set it to play like 4 innings instead of 9? Or are there other ways to cut the game time (especially if you're doing season mode)?
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

This is coming from someone who barely knows baseball, and has never owned or played a baseball video game (or any sports game.) Michelle, however, is a baseball nut. She isn't a heavy gamer, though.

Does this game give you access to the full range of stadiums and teams? She has two or three favorites that she'd absolutely want to play. Can one just pick it up and play a game, or is the only way to play a complex career mode? Also, is this the full game, or is half of it locked behind microtransactions and/or grinding?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You can generally play a single game, take control of a team and play the whole team through a whole season, or play Road to the Show as a minor league player.

Ignore the part of the streamer's face on the right.

Diamond Dynasty is the microtransaction mode.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

There's like a million ways to play the game. You could play a franchise and do quick counts which essentially sims part of each at bat greatly condensing the game. You could play Diamond Dynasty and most of the modes in there are 3 inning games. It's a card collecting mode with micro transactions, but you absolutely don't need to spend extra money to have fun in that mode. There's like a billion challenges and things you can do to collect things for free. And it's fun to do. (For me at least). You of course would need to have playstation plus for online features for that.

There's also Road to the Show where you create a player and work them all the way up to the major leagues. It's a very popular mode that I generally burn out quickly on. It takes a long time to make the majors...

As for ballparks - There's all the current stadiums obviously + fictional minor league stadiums + historical stadiums. For example they have Shea Stadium, Old Yankee Stadium, Polo Grounds etc... Wish they would add more I love historical stadiums.

ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Oh ... I hate you all. Downloading now.

(Yeah, it's my fault, I actually started the thread ...)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

As long as she can Oriole out at Camden.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:31 pm As long as she can Oriole out at Camden.
As a Maryland and an Oriole fan, I love the game's rendition of Camden Yards. When I hit home runs there, I like to try and pick out our season ticket seats as the ball flies by. :) Seriously, I find the stadiums really well done.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Got a Acuna Jr card. Holy crap he’s amazing. I could of sold it for 10,000 but glad I didn’t.

Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I've got him too, and I've been impressed also! I also recommend Kyle Schwarber and Paul DeJong. They were amazing last year, and while not as impressive, still worthwhile, and since they're silvers, pretty cheap.

I've had good luck with packs so far this year. 2 Diamonds, and numerous Gold cards. Balances out my miserable luck with packs last year.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

They are certainly more generous with giving out cards this year. There's tons of ways to get the cards by grinding and doing challenges as well. I'm eyeing the Ty Cobb one, but man that's going to be a slog to get. I'm getting pretty decent at the game. I run into some people that just steamroll me, but that only feels like every once in a while.

The nice thing is that I haven't seen many ways to play super cheesy and haven't run into it much. The main cheese I see is people trying to bait you with their runners. I found that if you just run at them you tag them out 90 percent of the time. I'm perfectly happy to let them get back to their original base as well.

Major thumbs up for me this year. The online has been almost flawless after years of them cocking it up. :horse:

ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

After spending some time with it, here are some thoughts/observations:

- So far I haven't seen much difference in the games themselves, TBH. I have only played a couple of "March to October" games but I can't say that I have seen anything really new I haven't seen before. Yes, fielders show a new symbol but I have not found any explanation what it means how to play with it etc, which is a bit weird (did I miss anything?). Hitting seems a bit more difficult, on the same setting as in '18 (All-star) I have not been able to hit an HR.

- The new pre-pitch and pre-bat camera view is a mixed bag for me. I find it absolutely confusing for pre-pitching, as it doesn't show me the relevant information pre-pitch and makes me screw up my first pitch regularly. It's ok for pre-batting. Thankfully, you can turn it off.

- The changes to RTTS look nice so far and I have decided to start a new career instead of continuing my '18 one.

- Diamond Dynasty: haven't done much with it, frankly the tutorial seemed a bit complicated, long, and tedious but maybe that's me. Will have to start that again and check it out once I'm in a more patient mood :D

- Rosters: "March to October" does not seem to use the latest, downloaded roasters. I noticed Russel and Happ playing for the Cubs (Russel is sitting out 40 games and Happ has been send down, I believe). Strange

- Last thing (and that's a real bummer): I definitely have performance issue when playing. I'm playing this on a PS4 Pro on "Enhanced" visual settings (which is, I understand, a 1440 resolution that tries to strike a balance between the (faster) 1080 and (more beautiful but slower) 4k resolution). I have used the same settings (on the same setup) for '18 and never had that issue. Pitching is a bit choppy, which is a problem, but fielding most definitively does NOT look smooth. It's not to the level of being unplayable but it's very disappointing. Found a thread in a forum where a lot of people talk about this so hopefully this will get fixed.

EDIT: a new patch was just installed, the performance issues are still there - I'm not happy. The trajectory of the ball is not smooth and hitting is affected.
Last edited by ChuckB on Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm not having performance issues on a regular PS4, but there is a thread on OS complaining so you're not alone. For the March to October I heard the roster will get updated in about a week with the opening day. So I'm avoiding that mode until that's updated. The Mets roster isn't even remotely close to being correct.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

For the fielding the badges are just showing you how good of a fielder that player is. So it's just a visual indicator that x player sucks or is good. A really good player will react better to hit balls and if you have a ball going off the wall it draws lines where the ball is expected to go which is really neat. I would say the infield fielding is VASTLY improved from previous years. I'm getting plays in the hole and deep into the outfield grass that I never was getting before. The outfield still has issues where your player just forgets to catch. I have no idea how this is still an issue after all these years. :grund:

Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

This year, the devs made a concerted effort for contact hitters to be more valuable. So light-hitting speedsters are more useful compared to last year when power was king and HRs were everywhere. (They've made a similar effort to make defensive stats more important too). When I started this year, I was having trouble hitting anything, behind on most pitches. They did make the pitch speeds faster compared to 18, but I've apparently adjusted as I've been hitting better as of late. (Or they tweaked things and I didn't read about it). My sluggers are getting the occasional HR now, and I'm doing alright in most games.

No performance issues, though I think it looks a little worse on the TV I used last year. But I split the feed and have it using my PC monitor too; I might be spoiled by the sharpness of the PC graphics. But no stuttering or choppy issues. Sometimes when playing multiplayer online, but that's it.

I turned the pre-pitch camera stuff off. Didn't like it. And the sideline reporter annoys me to no end. Constantly skipping it.

Haven't tried RTTS this year, but after avoiding it in 18, I'm looking forward to eventually getting to it.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Yes contact hitters are MONEY in this game now. I grabbed Stan the man as my diamond when I started and I can do a flick hit to left field that feels oh so good. He just plops it into left like it's easy peasy. 8-) What they did with the hitting for the PCI at least is reward and punish being off the PCI more. Pop the ball up? I bet your PCI is too low... Drive it in the ground? It's too high. It is really much more satisfying the way they have it now. It used to be wayyyy more random as to what the hit result would be compared to where the pci was placed.

Pitch speeds took me a couple of days to get used to. I'm okay with it now. I think if they didn't up the pitch speeds the changes to hitting would have ended up being a slug fest.

ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Baroquen wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:15 pm I turned the pre-pitch camera stuff off. Didn't like it. And the sideline reporter annoys me to no end. Constantly skipping it.
Well, the skipping ... they now added this circle that fills up when you press the "x" button to delay the skipping and (1) it is sooooooo slow and (2) even that is choppy on my system. So I'm wasting time watching this choppy circle fill up in slow-mo. I'll table the game for now, it's not fun in it's current stage for me and I'm a bit angry: they manage to break (for me and other people who experience the performance issues) a true and tested game without adding much notable new.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Sorry you are having so many issues. It's bizarre that some people have issues while others don't. I can say I've noticed almost zero framerate issues and I'm super duper sensitive. Hopefully they get that resolved soon as I really do think this is a big upgrade from the previous year.

Right now I'm picking away at the huge conquest map. It will take me forever, but I will get that card. ;) On the positive side I'm getting quite good and beating the CPU on All Star. With the analog pitching I've gotten wayyyyyy better at pitching than I ever have been before. Online most people can't hit me at all. Now if only I could hit well. I played one game that went 8 innings and they had 1 hit. :lol:

Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Octavious wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:10 pm
Right now I'm picking away at the huge conquest map. It will take me forever, but I will get that card. ;) On the positive side I'm getting quite good and beating the CPU on All Star. With the analog pitching I've gotten wayyyyyy better at pitching than I ever have been before. Online most people can't hit me at all. Now if only I could hit well. I played one game that went 8 innings and they had 1 hit. :lol:
A lot of similarities for me. I'm done with the two small conquest maps, and have started toying with the large/original map. I believe I saw new map(s) coming tomorrow? It was in the twitch stream, but I wasn' t paying much attention.

I was fine with beating the CPU on All-Star by the end of 18. With my new team, I'm struggling more. I don't use analog pitching, but I'm still generally better pitching than hitting. I'm really bad at the plate.

And moments suck. Not a fan. Like the program missions of past years, more than this. That said, I have pretty much wrapped up the "1st Inning" program and picked up the diamond Gossage. 2nd Inning Program apparently comes out 4/19.
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Tried the latest patch from 1 or 2 days ago (v1.06) and the issue remains the same. I switched resolution to "faster" and while it looks definitely worse, the performance is better but not great either. It's worse on 1080 than The Show 18 was for me on 1440 resolution (and that's with the same setup).

Also (and maybe related to the performance) I now (after playing this game for the last 11 seasons) I suck at hitting.

Ok, I really have to stop playing this ... :evil: Time to shoot some people in The Division 2 (which looks amazing and runs perfectly. If I find anyone with a baseball bat in that game, I'll shoot him twice ...)
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

ChuckB wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:30 pm Ok, I really have to stop playing this ... :evil: Time to shoot some people in The Division 2 (which looks amazing and runs perfectly. If I find anyone with a baseball bat in that game, I'll shoot him twice ...)
LOL. That's exactly my therapy when I get frustrated with the Show too. Sorry you're having the tech problems. That really sucks.

I've decided that I hate-hate-hate the Moments. I like missions like that in Madden, and player mission in past years of the Show, but just can't stand them this year. Glad that there are other modes to keep me entertained. I'm liking the new conquest map, and want to try and get 8 more event victories for the diamond pitcher reward. And I haven't started Road to the Show yet.
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Ok, since I still had performance issues after the last patch they issued, I started a Road to the Show career with the idea that the focus on one player and the simpler stadiums would make the framerate issues less of a problem. This turned out to be the case - I still had the choppy framerate (for example, very strong when moving my baserunner back to first after a pickoff attempt) but it was playable. Then, after a good part through the first season in AA and after moving to AAA, I noticed that the framerate seemed to be much better and indeed - the performance issues seem to be gone (I would say that they are on a "MLB The Show 18" level, meaning that they are not an issue for regular gameplay but show up from time to time for example, when the game shows the pitcher/batter split-screen for presentational purposes or when many players are moving in a close-up shot.
I played a regular MLB game in Wrigley yesterday and performance was fine there, too.
I did not make any changes to my PS4 or MLB The Show and no patch has been issued in between (neither for the console or the game). Not sure what happened (before or in between) but I'm not complaining. I have enough experience with electronics to know that sometimes, weird things happen.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm still going super strong on this. I'm still really only playing DD and I'm just loving it this year. No online issues and there's always something to do. They made it a lot easier to get a good team without spending any money. I have almost an all diamond team and I haven't spent a dollar except for the special edition bonus player. Last night I pulled Kris Bryant from a pack and almost lost my mind. Honestly his card isn't that great versus how much stubs you can get for it. I flipped him and got Degrom. As I already had pulled Diaz from a pack I only needed Noah to finish out the diamonds. I had enough stubs to buy him and then I bought up all the scrubs to finish that team collection snagging Mike Piazza! 8-)

Off the top of my head:
1B Keith Hernandez (Got him from conquest. He's a hitting machine and a diamond fielder. He's hitting almost .400. Has like no power, but damn he just slaps hits into the field left and right)
2B Diamond Ian Kinsler - Probably my weakest Diamond, but he's good for now. Bought him on the market
SS Diamond Jose Reyes from the Team affinity - 97 speed, decent hitting diamond fielder. Just exchange cards and play as all Mets in conquest. Easy peasy to get
3B Diamond Brooks Robinson - He's a beast... Got him from one of the XP rewards
RF Diamond Matt Kemp - Got him from a moment achievement I believe. He's a beast all around
CF Diamond player created - It's me and I'm awesome. It's pretty easy to build an awesome diamond. Probably took 4-5 hours tops
LF Acuna - Me and every other team has him in LF. I really want to get rid of him at some point. His defense drives me nuts. He sure can hit and run though.
C - Diamond Mike Piazza - Not going to be the best Piazza card, but it will do for now. Got this for collecting all the Mets. This was hard and took a lot of time as Degrom, Noah and Diaz are all expensive as hell. I got lucky pulling Diaz in a pack

Pitching I won't bother going into much, but I have Goose and Diaz to close games and a decent collection of starting pitchers. I need to fill out 1B and LF with better players and then I'll start aiming for elite pitching.

Super fun to collect this stuff for me. It's the first year where I actually feel like I accomplished anything. Most years I could barely even get golds and would run into all diamond teams online. Which was frustrating. Now if I run into all diamond teams it's generally people that have dumped a ton of money and suck OR I get the crap beat out of me. At least I feel like I can compete.

So after like 100 hours I would say this is easily the most fun I've had with a baseball game in a long time. And I haven't even touched franchise. Not sure if I ever will. DD is just so much fun for me.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Three nights of play got me through my first RttS season with the Springfield Cardinals. Season 2 got me called up to Memphis.

I'm playing catcher, which is an interesting position to play. You get to field bunts, attempt to throw out runners stealing base, and even call the pitches for for some batters. Definitely a bit more involved than playing just an outfielder and hoping someone hits the ball your way.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I still play this often, but that's not surprising, as I've been a big fan for a number of years.

RttS: I made an outfielder, and semi-accidentally put myself in the Orioles farm system. Got called up midway through my first year, and did well. My second season has been more difficult, and I'm not sure what's up, as I haven't altered the settings, and it's -not- set for the dynamic/changing difficulty. Anyway, hoping to pull out of it. I'm enjoying the skill improvements, and the practice/relationship opportunities in between series.

Diamond Dynasty: I'm still annoyed at Moments in general. I have more diamonds than last year at this time, but it's not quite as fulfilling as past years. I'm really disappointed in the 87 Ricky Henderson card and the (low) Cliff Lee diamond. Loving Ichiro. Acuna Jr. is amazing. Kyle Schwaber is still crazy good. And I got the Signature Series Bumgarner for Silver 1? and he's been amazing.

Did March to October 2 times already, and working through as the Pirates now. The silver Pedro Alvarez was great last year, though I probably won't use him much this year except for events and such.

Complaints about the game are minor. I still find it tons of fun overall, though often infuriating in the moment. (Turned it off in disgust at a Moment earlier this afternoon. lol) Big picture though - it's one of the few games I buy on release, and feel like I get my money's worth.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The bad thing I can think about DD is that if you don't start playing right when the season starts you will just get murdered online. There's just so many rewards you get for playing a lot that catching up is almost impossible. Heck I took a week off and had to scramble to finish program 2. I wasn't missing out a free diamond! :lol:

ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Baroquen wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:54 pm RttS: I made an outfielder, and semi-accidentally put myself in the Orioles farm system. Got called up midway through my first year, and did well. My second season has been more difficult, and I'm not sure what's up, as I haven't altered the settings, and it's -not- set for the dynamic/changing difficulty. Anyway, hoping to pull out of it. I'm enjoying the skill improvements and the practice/relationship opportunities in between series.
I have played every single game of the series since 2008 when I bought my first every PlayStation (a PS3) ever for this game. I have over the years mainly played RTTS and I have experienced the same thing in probably every single game of the series: I progress through the system and improving my stats (the system how to do this has changed quite a bit over the years) but again and again (and it happened even within a single career), I seem to be hitting a wall and my performance gets seriously worse for a while only to recover again after a while (again, for unknown reasons). I actually suspect that there is something going on with the values of your player and how they develop over time, in some of the games in the series it was clear when being in a certain bracket of, for example, the contact skill/rating, my performance got worth and once I moved into the next bracket it got better again. I think I remember in one game of the series it was almost as if even skill levels would be bad while odd ones were better. I never looked into this more deeply (and to this day it's not 100% clear to me which skills actually matter when I take control of the player myself, which I always do).

The other thing is that for me, I can certainly see that improving my "contact" skill leads to better batting but the same is not true for "power" - there is certainly a time (and I'm in this phase now), where my line drives are getting deeper into the field but are now in perfect range for the outfielders while before they were nicely "surviving" the infield and coming down in between the infield and outfield.
In my current game, I won the silver slugger and had the highest batting average of the league in my first major league season, only to hit under .200 in spring training now ...
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

ChuckB wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:34 pm The other thing is that for me, I can certainly see that improving my "contact" skill leads to better batting but the same is not true for "power" - there is certainly a time (and I'm in this phase now), where my line drives are getting deeper into the field but are now in perfect range for the outfielders while before they were nicely "surviving" the infield and coming down in between the infield and outfield.
In my current game, I won the silver slugger and had the highest batting average of the league in my first major league season, only to hit under .200 in spring training now ...
I've had this exact suspicion too. My batted balls used to drop for singles, but now that the power creeps up, they become routine outs for the other team. Usually if the power continues to increase, the HRs and hard hit balls become more common, and this problem resolves. I think my current RttS guy is just in that middle "easy out" phase.
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Baroquen wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:09 pm
ChuckB wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:34 pm The other thing is that for me, I can certainly see that improving my "contact" skill leads to better batting but the same is not true for "power" - there is certainly a time (and I'm in this phase now), where my line drives are getting deeper into the field but are now in perfect range for the outfielders while before they were nicely "surviving" the infield and coming down in between the infield and outfield.
I've had this exact suspicion too. My batted balls used to drop for singles, but now that the power creeps up, they become routine outs for the other team. Usually if the power continues to increase, the HRs and hard hit balls become more common, and this problem resolves. I think my current RttS guy is just in that middle "easy out" phase.
One thing you can do to counter this a bit is (depending on the batting interface you use) to try to hit a ground ball by aiming low. With increased power, you may be able to get the ball through the infield. In any case, I'm doing this when I have runners in scoring position and two outs. The only thing is that (to me) it feels like in The Show '19 this doesn't work as reliably as it did in the older games. I have hit a couple of home runs while aiming low ...