Borderlands 3

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Borderlands 3

Post by Blackhawk »

Just watched the PAX East announcement. Borderlands 3 is officially on the way. It appears to be a regular BL sequel, not a Battle Royale or anything. The trailer looked great.

They've also announced a BL card game, as well as 4k remasters for BL1, 2, and the Pre-Sequel. Oddly, there was no mention of whether the BL1 remaster was coming to PC.

Last edited by Blackhawk on Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Re: Borderlands 3, release date unknown

Post by Blackhawk »

Ok, they released the official trailers. All the remasters are also coming to PC, all on April 3rd.

Smoove_B

Re: Borderlands 3 announced, trailer, no date. Also: remasters of all three originals

Post by Smoove_B »

Awesome. I bet it's out this Fall. Maybe even the end of September.

I should really go back and try to finish the Pre-Sequel.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Re: Borderlands 3 announced, trailer, no date. Also: remasters of all three originals

Post by Blackhawk »

I've played them all, save for Tales from the Borderlands. Given that they seem to be using characters from TftB, I should probably play that here in a bit, too.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Since it is too good to be lost in the random void, I'll just repost the first teaser here.

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I had a blast with the first two games. I finished both by playing online with random folks. But I never finished Pre Sequel. I tried 3 or 4 times. But I got it late due to money and by then not many played. I wish id gotten to finish it. This new one would be great if my life was normal and my wife still here. As is I just ....well...Im not me any longer...or Im not the old me. Im a new me who doesn't care much and certainly not enough to buy a game like that. Good luck all . I bet you'll have fun.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Excited!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Max Peck

Re: Borderlands 3, release date unknown

Post by Max Peck »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:32 pm Ok, they released the official trailers. All the remasters are also coming to PC, all on April 3rd.
Apparently the remasters are free upgrades if you already own the games on Steam.
The most important detail for PC players, as mentioned, is that owners of the original Borderlands on Steam will get the upgraded version for free (obviously you'll have to buy the game otherwise). You don't need to own the DLC to get this new edition, either—just the base game. I double-checked this with 2K. If you never tried the first game's expansions, now you can without paying an extra penny.
The end of the trailer for the Handsome Collection also references a "new free UHD pack" for those games, so I guess it's a free upgrade across the board for all 3 games. Noice!

Fun fact: The original Borderlands is the reason I broke down and set up a Steam account. Up until that point, I hated on Steam just like all the cool kids are hating on the Epic Game Store nowadays.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Glad to hear it's a free upgrade. Might have to dust off all the Borderlands games again.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I waited over a year for Borderlands to go on sale. It was one of the longer years of my life. Ended up picking it up for $5-10 I think (edit: Just checked, GOTY edition US$7.50, and I had to wait a year and a half for it). Amazingly, I found 3 other OO'ers willing to play with me and we completed the main game and at least zombie Ned/Zed DLC, maybe others, I can't recall. Was a blast.

The waiting and anticipation (Borderlands was a new thing at the time, so it was the new hotness) made the final purchase and play a huge deal.

Not sure that I'll wait as long (those sales prices are long gone anyway) for the next one. I had a good time with all 3, despite critics unhappy with the 3rd. Shooting stuff and making cool builds never goes out of style I guess.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I remember following from the time it was first announced with great graphics before switching to cell shading. I was disappointed to hear it but it turned out to be the right move.

I hope the HD Remasters dont replace the old games but are a separate install.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

do i read correctly that they're just giving everyone all? the DLC for Borderlands 1? i think next week is looking like a good time to start a new character.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:02 am Amazingly, I found 3 other OO'ers willing to play with me and we completed the main game and at least zombie Ned/Zed DLC, maybe others, I can't recall. Was a blast.
We played Zombie Island, Knoxx, and Claptrap Revolution. It was you, me, Arcanis, and Grifman.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I can use a bit of playing all previous Borderlands as I rarely play online and lack the best gear. :)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

miltonite wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:32 am
GreenGoo wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:02 am Amazingly, I found 3 other OO'ers willing to play with me and we completed the main game and at least zombie Ned/Zed DLC, maybe others, I can't recall. Was a blast.
We played Zombie Island, Knoxx, and Claptrap Revolution. It was you, me, Arcanis, and Grifman.
Yeah, I had a great time, thanks to all of you.

I didn't like something Grif said so I was mean to him, which I regret. Grif, I'm sorry I was an ass. Those playing PUBG with me know this, but I'd just like to say it was a different kind of ass back then.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:11 pm
miltonite wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:32 am
Yeah, I had a great time, thanks to all of you.

I didn't like something Grif said so I was mean to him, which I regret. Grif, I'm sorry I was an ass. Those playing PUBG with me know this, but I'd just like to say it was a different kind of ass back then.
Hmm, I don't even remember any such thing, at least playing the game, if that is what you are talking about. But now I am mad since you confessed, it must have been bad :)

Seriously, I don't remember anything, we're good.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Excellent.

In any case, I remember, and I apologize for being ruder than I should have been.

That said, it was great fun, and I remember our coop fondly.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So is BL3 going to compete with Rage 2?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

BL3 is an insta-buy and Rage 2 is a probably skip... so... no? Rage 2 is out in less than 2 months. I doubt BL3 will be out anywhere near that time frame.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Honestly, if they recapture BL2 to any degree, then there won't be anything else remotely able to compete. At least for me. This is one I may not wait for a sale on. Considering how many hours I played BL2, even at full price it's likely to end up being pennies per hour.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Borderlands 2 was a brilliant, well designed, and very well-loved best seller.

Rage was a derided dud.

So no. In fact, if I were publishing Rage 2 and found out it was being released at the same time, I'd have the date slip a month or two.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Double post
Last edited by IceBear on Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Are you guys seeing the rumors that it's going to be an Epic exclusive? It might be an April fools but doesn't seem like it

https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2019-04-0 ... -exclusive
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Remember when I said XCOM3 as an epic exclusive would get me to buy... well I think Borderlands 3 is in the same territory for me. I am pretty *I* could wait a year, but my son would be crushed.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

When the time comes to buy it I'll consider epic. That time is not at release however.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If that's true, it does surprise me a bit only because of how far they went to accommodate and address the concerns of PC gamers after the bungled release of the first one (with all the console-focused design decisions). To subsequently sign an exclusivity agreement with Epic knowing that it's likely going to limit the number of PC copies sold seems odd. Unless, of course, they know that the PC market for them is but a fraction of what they'll sell on consoles and it doesn't matter to them any more.

Wild times.

Also, I was right - September it is.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Eh.

The only issue is that my son has been saving his Steam gift cards for some big release. This would likely be it.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:24 am do i read correctly that they're just giving everyone all? the DLC for Borderlands 1? i think next week is looking like a good time to start a new character.
10AM PST tomorrow!
stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Looks like we are finally getting another melee character. I don't count Krieg because he didn't seem to work well at all as melee (at least not for me).

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

And, at least at the moment, Epic only for PC digital.

Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, 6 month exclusive for Epic. So...February 2020 for STEAM? Also, F exclusives.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

TheMix wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:29 am Looks like we are finally getting another melee character. I don't count Krieg because he didn't seem to work well at all as melee (at least not for me).
Wow - must be a playstyle thing. I loved Krieg for melee. There was one map (somewhere in Tiny Tina's dungeon crawl) where I would park him in a corner near where mobs spawned and just wail away. He had some kind of berserk that, when you used it, you could still use his regular special power. It was great! On the flip side, I didn't find him very good for ranged fights.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Bad Demographic wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:07 am
TheMix wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:29 am Looks like we are finally getting another melee character. I don't count Krieg because he didn't seem to work well at all as melee (at least not for me).
Wow - must be a playstyle thing. I loved Krieg for melee. There was one map (somewhere in Tiny Tina's dungeon crawl) where I would park him in a corner near where mobs spawned and just wail away. He had some kind of berserk that, when you used it, you could still use his regular special power. It was great! On the flip side, I didn't find him very good for ranged fights.
Do you recall your level? I never got my Krieg very high. Maybe mid-30's. So while I suspected (from looking at his skills) that he might be good at higher levels, I just went with guns early on because every time I tried to melee, he'd just get killed almost instantly. And his alternate last breath option completely blew. I think I only managed to kills something with the dynamite once or twice - if it was heavily injured. At low levels the dynamite seemed to do almost no damage. Which irritated me because it seemed like such a fun option.

Actually... thinking about it... in those few cases where the mobs were up-close-and-personal, yeah, his melee was great. The problem most of the time was that I had to try and close the distance, or hit with the thrown weapon (spoiler: I wasn't very accurate with that most of the time). I lost track of how many times I got dropped before I could get close enough to melee; which is probably what soured me most. Oh yeah, and getting fully healed on a melee kill is great. But getting killed one second after kicking on your ability - before you could get close enough to kill - ... not fun.

Black Lives Matter

stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stessier wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:17 pm Holy cow - there is a collector's edition for the Xbox that is $250!
It is not just for xbox, for the record.
https://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/borde ... top/175291
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yep, Epic. I'm still getting it, of course. My son won't be happy that he can't use his saved up Steam cards, though.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:20 pm
stessier wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:17 pm Holy cow - there is a collector's edition for the Xbox that is $250!
It is not just for xbox, for the record.
https://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/borde ... top/175291
What a tease! It keeps bouncing out of my shopping cart :grund:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The updates are available. BL2 and the Pre-Sequel are both listed as DLC on the Steam page ("Ultra-HD Texture Pack" or some such), while the new BL1 should appear in your library automatically (you may need to restart Steam) as Borderlands GOTY Enhanced.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:13 pm I hope the HD Remasters dont replace the old games but are a separate install.
You get half your wish. Borderlands GOTY Enhanced shows up as a separate game in the Steam library, but the UHD updates for BL2 and the Pre-Sequel are applied to the existing games. I'd guess they did it that way because they've actually made changes to the game engine for BL1 but the Handsome Collection update is just a texture pack (AFAIK).

Edit: Dammit Blackhawk!