Borderlands 3

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Borderlands 3

Post by Blackhawk »

MMOs have been doing something similar for a while. Some alter the player's level up or down, some mod your damage up or down, some seem to translate damage as percentages so that level doesn't matter anymore (IE - if you are doing an average of 4% of a standard on-level enemy's health per shot, you'll do 4% per shot when facing higher level enemies when with friends and vice-versa.) I've no idea how Borderlands handles this.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Have folks been checking their in-game mail? I haven't, till now. It's in the menu under "Social", but you have to load your game first and then go there via the ESC or controller Start button or wherever. Turns out I had a boatload of free weapons, or rather ones I got as rewards for entering codes via the BL3 web site. The ones I unlocked are level 10 and since I'm not there yet I'm having to use precious backpack space to carry them, so I suggest only unlocking one item at a time.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

My very first legendary:
Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

That was quick. Wonder what kind of longevity it will have. It'll be nice for all the alts to look forward to.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I picked up a purple Epic... unfortunately, it was just another pistol. Couldn't bear to sell it yet, because it's the only thing about green that I've uncovered. Part of my fun at playing this early stage of the game is waiting to uncover a sniper rifle (or whatever they call it). That's my favorite weapon, but at this point I'm stuck making do with a shotgun (my least favorite), and punching people is surprisingly effective.

2 questions -

1) COV weapons.... they're just limited time weapons? After so many shots, the blow up and are done?

2) The little mini achievements that get displayed on the left hand side... Never mind. Looks like challenges... just wasn't able to find them in the ECHO thing.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:33 am My very first legendary:
Enlarge Image
The red text (Bullets are cheap, but not that cheap) seems to refer to enhanced ammo storage. My ammo supply for it is currently just under 4000, but I don't know if I'm actually at a cap. I can't buy more ammo for it, but I'm not sure whether I can pick up even more from loot drops.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I picked up a legendary SMG about an hour in. Incendiary, and it bounces, explodes repeatedly, and shoots in all directions when you reload it (sort of like a BL2 bouncing betty, with explosions on the bounces.) I'll outlevel it quick, but right now it is tearing things up.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Baroquen wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:05 am 1) COV weapons.... they're just limited time weapons? After so many shots, the blow up and are done?
They don't blow up, but they break and you need to spend several seconds repairing them, which happens automatically. I'm beginning to think that they are rather overpowered, I have a COV assault rifle that is good for "99+" shots and that takes me pretty much through a fight.
Max Peck wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:33 am My very first legendary:
Enlarge Image
There is a lot of data on that set of screens, under the four menu headings in the upper left. You don't need any of the info to play the game, but it is pretty useful to understand how the game works.

I played late into the night yesterday and finally quit when I launched in the Sanctuary. I'm really enjoying the game. I read a BL3 review in Kokatu yesterday and the reviewer pretty much said the game was a failure in that it didn't really alter and upgrade the formula that is Borderlands. I completely disagree. There are folks like myself who are very happy because they stuck with the formula. Of course the reviewer also said Fallout 4 was a bust because of the same reason. Again, I disagree.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Also, article from PC Gamer, 11 things I wish I knew before playing Borderlands 3. Some useful stuff there, even if you have been playing for a few hours.
Borderlands 3 fits like an old, stinky glove. Most of the same tips and tricks from the previous games apply here, but some iterative changes and new features mean the game has changed just enough that we have some fresh advice for anyone diving in at launch. Here's how to save time, be a better teammate, and prioritize your workload.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

One more thing. I have GeForce Experience installed, but I have rarely used it to optimize game graphics settings since in the past with my old video card it tended to over optimize and the game would run poorly. However, in the latest update it includes BL3 and when I optimized and ran the game things did look a bit better and the game still ran fine.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

When I got to Sanctuary I had about nine thousand bucks. It seemed like I had so much money I was spending it on silly items. Well, turns out that was dumb, as the SDU updates are now bought with money, rather than eridium :doh:. I think I like that change. Although it means I got a lot of upgrades right away, it would seem to me to remove the tedium of trying to hunt down eridium in every nook and cranny everywhere.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

BL1 worked that way with the ammo upgrades. Backpack SDUs were quest related, while ammo SDUs were from cash vendors.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Several crashes... no pattern. Using optimized GeForce Experience drivers. Annoying, but not too bad thus far.

Found a nice blue rifle... sweet glorious sniping, especially while my bug distracts them! :D
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Baroquen wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:01 pm Several crashes... no pattern. Using optimized GeForce Experience drivers. Annoying, but not too bad thus far.
I upgraded my drivers too and so far (three hours?) no crashes. I've been quitting out every hour or so just to avoid memory issues.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I haven't had any crashes so far. The only consistent glitch I've run into is that I need to reset the FPS limiter every time I launch the game.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:45 pm I haven't had any crashes so far. The only consistent glitch I've run into is that I need to reset the FPS limiter every time I launch the game.
Huh, I probably need to check that too.

I did see on one review that if you had stuttering, you should alt+tab out of the game and close the Epic Launcher after you "continue" your game. That helped the reviewer. Mine is running pretty smoothly however.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Email codes:

OVERABILLION
OVERONEBILLION

Vault codes:

DIGISTRUCT
ITSABOUTTIME
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Alefroth wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:42 am That was quick. Wonder what kind of longevity it will have. It'll be nice for all the alts to look forward to.
At level 13 I've got better weapons, but I'm still using it because it effectively has an unlimited supply of ammunition (currently at 11k+). With some of the crazier fights I've been running out of ammo for other weapons, so it makes for a decent fallback. It doesn't hit as hard as a higher level weapon, but if I pump enough mags into a badass, it'll go down eventually.

Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:20 am Email codes:
and...
Vault codes:
Thanks for this. Also, Pitchford is starting to send out SHiFT codes via Twitter. They did a test one last night for a brief time, and will probably do another one today so if you're not following the twitter accounts, you might want to start.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't Twitter at all. I have a throwaway account for when something or other needs you to subscribe, and I have so much junk on there that it isn't really usable anyway.

I usually just look for whatever Reddit thread someone's keeping track of such things on, or go to Orcz.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm going back through the second one with my daughter before grabbing this. Hopefully it will be on sale by that point as BL2 isn't a small game.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Played some local coop today on the non-pro PS4. Definitely were a few performance hitches, especially when one player was navigating a menu. But was certainly playable. The only other issue I noticed was the small text. On a 42” tv, you really has to squint to read it. As far as I know, there’s no way to increase text size.
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:04 am The red text (Bullets are cheap, but not that cheap) seems to refer to enhanced ammo storage. My ammo supply for it is currently just under 4000, but I don't know if I'm actually at a cap. I can't buy more ammo for it, but I'm not sure whether I can pick up even more from loot drops.
I think I've figured out the red text ability. The total ammunition is equal to the current credit balance, and each bullet fire consumes one credit.
Last edited by Max Peck on Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Brian

Post by Brian »

Wow, seems they really spent some programming effort on Moxxi's uh...bounce physics.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

https://www.polygon.com/2019/9/15/20866 ... al-foundry

Resolution mode is apparently a smoother experience on consoles.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Anyone else been to Lectra City yet? I just started there. Holy smokes, that is a good sized map.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And it turns out that I can't kill Killavolt :( at least not at level 14 like it recommends and not even on Easier difficulty. Luckily it is not a campaign mission so I can bypass it for now.

I'm 17 hours in and so far no crashes. I have had a few weird issues with my X360 controller left shift, even though I've tinkered with the dead zone settings. Maybe it's time for a new controller.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

We (me, Bad Demographic, Brian, BD's husband) played for quite a few hours this evening. It was a lot of fun, but the bugs we encountered in just that time:

~Shields appearing in weapon slots
~Same item appearing in all slots
~Other players' names disappearing, requiring everyone to exit and rejoin (this happened multiple times)
~Got stuck in 'low gravity' mode on board the ship long after the scripted low gravity section
~This:

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Alefroth wrote:https://www.polygon.com/2019/9/15/20866 ... al-foundry

Resolution mode is apparently a smoother experience on consoles.
Looks like it really only helps on the newest XBox; the DF article states that on the PS4 Pro that mode will drop frame rates into the 20s.

But I haven’t noticed many issues in solo mode; the frame rate only really dipped for me when playing local coop.
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Hey Ralph, is your PSN ID still Limulusman?

Mind if I send you a friend request? I'm Alefroth.

When I start playing it'll be on PS4 Pro.
Last edited by Alefroth on Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

It is! And friend request away! Would be nice to try some online coop - most of the people I know IRL with the game have it on the XBox and so far cross-platform coop isn't supported. :cry:
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:13 am After a couple of hours I am underwhelmed. Yes it is very much more Borderlands and also it's very much Borderlands. I am not sure what I was expecting, but it is not grabbing me like I had hoped. I'll keep playing and see if it picks up for me but my excitement has been considerably dampened.
Son and I are level 24 now and I am still a bit disappointed in how MOTS it is, but we're having fun. Part of it may be that I haven't gotten a sniper rifle I really like yet. I've gotten about a half dozen legendaries, but only one that I really liked. It was a revolver that was a beast for headshots... sadly it was level 14 so I had to put it away eventually. I would kill for an updated version. Please let me level it up like you can level up equipment in AC Odyssey. I will pay *any* price to have that thing updated to my current level. I upgraded my pistol ammo so I can carry 500 rounds just for that one gun... and hardly needed it because every shot was a kill shot (3 shots for BAs).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:41 pm And it turns out that I can't kill Killavolt :( at least not at level 14 like it recommends and not even on Easier difficulty. Luckily it is not a campaign mission so I can bypass it for now.
I'm sure any number of us (by us, I mostly mean other people) can join you in co-op to help wreck him if you like. I didn't find him particularly difficult but maybe we just had the right guns/elements for the right... and obviously each other.

Teammates are really helpful for the harder fights. You just need to coordinate deaths. I don't want to spoil anything but there is a pain in the butt fight around level 22 that my son and I were running out of ammo on. We took turns dying so we could go restock ammo while keeping the enemy from recovering health. In prior games if the enemy wasn't actively engaged they instantly recovered health and we were NOT having it with that guy. That fight must have taken 20 minutes.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Thanks for the offer. I might have to take people up on that later, but I banged up my hand today doing something I shouldn't have been doing :roll: and have to limit my playing for a little while.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:58 pm Thanks for the offer. I might have to take people up on that later, but I banged up my hand today doing something I shouldn't have been doing :roll: and have to limit my playing for a little while.
You know they make lotion.

:P
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:45 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:58 pm Thanks for the offer. I might have to take people up on that later, but I banged up my hand today doing something I shouldn't have been doing :roll: and have to limit my playing for a little while.
You know they make lotion.

:P
:D

Should I be spending my eridium down at the vending machine on the lower deck of the Sanctuary? I have 234 units and the cheapest items is about 80 units. I'm reluctant to spend too much of it in case I need more later on.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't know the answer from personal experience, but I've heard that you get much easier sources later on in the game.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I'm just saving my eridium for the inevitable moment where I desperately need at least one decent weapon, and would rather pick from a list of known options instead of rolling the dice with a gold key.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I think I have around 800 eridium and I haven't seen anything worth spending it on. Maybe someday the vending machine down by Earl with have something I can't live without. Otherwise, slots it is!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

From videos it appears the mech is a time limited summon that has to cycle before calling it again ...like the old games stuff. But the pet of Fl4k seems to stay around perm like . Is that how they are?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"