Borderlands 3

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Borderlands 3

Post by Blackhawk »

stessier wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:46 am I got to TVHM. I'm a little bummed that all the maps are already explored. Also, was the idea with the Eridian writings that you would read them as you found them on your second playthrough? Because I ran back through every zone as soon as I got the ability to read them.

How does Mayhem work? I set it to Level 2, but it doesn't look like it applies yet in TVHM.

I started a new game with Fl4k. Up to Level 6 and he seems fun. I have to remember to use his special ability more often.
The game is absolutely built around multiple playthroughs. Exploration, crew challenges (including Eridian writing), and car parts carry over. Most recommendations are to do that stuff on your second run, and specifically to not do the all of them until you are max level, as there are some really valuable rewards you get for completing each set, some of which are hard to find 'in the wild', and they scale to your level. I always save one zone where I don't do crew challenges until I hit the cap, then I go back to that zone and knock out the last one of each. It's obviously not mandatory to do things over two playthroughs, but it is pretty clear that it was designed with that approach in mind.

Mayhem does two things: First, it gives a static boost to all enemies' health, armor, and shields, plus significant boosts to cash, loot, and Eridium (Eridium is at 500% on M2!) Second, it sets a number of random modifiers on each map. Open up the map screen and they'll appear on the right side of the map. They're things like 'SMGs, pistols, and shotguns do 35% less damage', 'Enemies are more accurate', and 'Incendiary does +50% damage.' The factors are determined when you load a new map, they're different on every map, and they persist until you exit the game and restart, after which they're determined over again.

It doesn't apply to TVHM until you've reached Sanctuary and manually switched it on in TVHM, so if you're just starting out that could be the issue. If it is enabled, there will be a small skull at the bottom center of your screen with the Mayhem number next to it, click to embiggen:

Enlarge Image

And FL4K is fun. He was my first, and he's still my main. I use a build built around enhancing crits and the Fade Away skill and the skill that halves Fade Away's duration, but makes shots not end it. Essentially I have super crits, and while faded every shot is a guaranteed crit. With the right gun it absolutely disolves tough enemies. Most of the time I use a Lyuda, the fully automatic sniper rifle that shoots three shots in a spread, which then split into more projectiles. it's useless for sniping, but against a big target at medium range, each shot hits with nine sniper rounds. With fade away, that's nine sniper-damage critical hits per shot on full auto, plus I add ammo the mag on each critical hit, so I probably get 15 shots before I run out. That's 135 enhanced sniper crits per Fade Away. As an aside on what I mentioned earlier (spoiler for a crew challenge):
Spoiler:
Finishing Zer0's last challenge awards an on-level Lyuda.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
stessier

Post by stessier »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:40 am
stessier wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:46 am I got to TVHM. I'm a little bummed that all the maps are already explored. Also, was the idea with the Eridian writings that you would read them as you found them on your second playthrough? Because I ran back through every zone as soon as I got the ability to read them.

How does Mayhem work? I set it to Level 2, but it doesn't look like it applies yet in TVHM.

I started a new game with Fl4k. Up to Level 6 and he seems fun. I have to remember to use his special ability more often.
The game is absolutely built around multiple playthroughs. Exploration, crew challenges (including Eridian writing), and car parts carry over. Most recommendations are to do that stuff on your second run, and specifically to not do the all of them until you are max level, as there are some really valuable rewards you get for completing each set, some of which are hard to find 'in the wild', and they scale to your level. I always save one zone where I don't do crew challenges until I hit the cap, then I go back to that zone and knock out the last one of each. It's obviously not mandatory to do things over two playthroughs, but it is pretty clear that it was designed with that approach in mind.
Thanks. They should have somehow made that clear while playing. I'm sure it's in reviews but as I eschew those, I never would have found out. Oh well - I've got three more first run characters and can always redo Moze if it turns out to make a huge difference.

The car missions, at least, must still be doable - I did them all the first time and am still missing a bunch of parts.
Mayhem does two things: First, it gives a static boost to all enemies' health, armor, and shields, plus significant boosts to cash, loot, and Eridium (Eridium is at 500% on M2!) Second, it sets a number of random modifiers on each map. Open up the map screen and they'll appear on the right side of the map. They're things like 'SMGs, pistols, and shotguns do 35% less damage', 'Enemies are more accurate', and 'Incendiary does +50% damage.' The factors are determined when you load a new map, they're different on every map, and they persist until you exit the game and restart, after which they're determined over again.

It doesn't apply to TVHM until you've reached Sanctuary and manually switched it on in TVHM, so if you're just starting out that could be the issue. If it is enabled, there will be a small skull at the bottom center of your screen with the Mayhem number next to it, click to embiggen:
Ah yes, thanks again. I saw the skull when I enabled Mayhem before heading to TVHM, so I was wondering what happened to lose it. You were right that I haven't made it back to Sanctuary yet.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

stessier wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:58 pm . Oh well - I've got three more first run characters and can always redo Moze if it turns out to make a huge difference.

The car missions, at least, must still be doable - I did them all the first time and am still missing a bunch of parts.

On the rewards, it isn't so much as a mechanic as it is a way to best take advantage of the system. In BL1, for instance, there were certain quests that gave certain rewards - for example, Wee Wee's Super Booster - that were so good that people would avoid taking those quests on the second playthrough until they finished and playthrough '2.5' was activated, causing those rewards to be useful in the endgame. It's the same sort of thing. The rewards you get for finishing the crew challenges at the level cap aren't unique. They just happen to be some highly desirable items that you'd have to get lucky or farm to get otherwise.

On the second part, all of the missions are still doable. One thing about the car parts that threw me off is that they don't show unlocked down in Ellie's garage until you acquire them from one of the Ellie missions. You can hijack a runner with heavy armor, turn it in and have access to heavy runner armor, but it will still be missing and red down by Ellie until you do the Ellie special hijack that has it.

There are also some that are either very rare, or spawn only once. Not a spoiler if you've played before:
Spoiler:
When you're going after Pain & Terror and have to chase the huge vehicle around the track, for instance, a technical will spawn with a jet booster. This is the only opportunity to get that part.
stessier

Post by stessier »

The way I'm playing FL4K, he is much squishier than Moze, but I'm also mixing it up a bit more rather than sniping from the fringes. Is there a good way to aim his special? I seem to frequently set it off well behind or well in front of my intended target yielding a juiced up spiderant but missing out on the full effect of his explosive entrance.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

stessier wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:55 am The Boomerang XL is a very nice gun. It made very quick work of Troy (so much so that I wonder if it wasn't somewhat unfair).

I'm really liking the story too. Can't wait to see what's next.
first time I got one of these, I immediately fragged myself and earned Florida Man
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jaymon wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:03 pm
stessier wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:55 am The Boomerang XL is a very nice gun. It made very quick work of Troy (so much so that I wonder if it wasn't somewhat unfair).

I'm really liking the story too. Can't wait to see what's next.
first time I got one of these, I immediately fragged myself and earned Florida Man
Weird, I had 5 spinning around at once and never remember getting hit by them. Maybe I had a 100% corrosive resistance shield.

I'm only 7 hours in with FL4K and just finished Athena at Level 15. Goes much faster when you only do enough to move the story forward. I also have some pretty nice legendaries that have made the bosses easier. A Compressed Storm sniper rifle will take out shields and a shotgun that sends a ball of radiation that just melts people. Those plus a scorching Broodless (who might be getting more kills than me) really cuts through a level.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Storms are fantastic. Especially against Guardians later on. The shotgun is probably a Lob. I ran those with my Amara for a while. When the enemies are all frozen in place, those things are room clearers!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I've been enjoying the charge up weapons. I had a Maliwan sniper that initially I was very unimpressed with. Until I discovered that when charged up it becomes an entirely different beast.

I just picked up the Devils Foursum at the end of the first playthrough. With Moze's explosive/splash damage spec, it's a lot of fun.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Binary Cutsman is literally the only gun I know by name. It was my go to for a long time. It could be a pain to use sometimes, but it was so effective.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I almost never know the names. I look them up before I post. :)

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I only know the ones that have worked really, really well with certain builds, as I kept looking for better versions of those guns. The Lob works beautifully with Amara because the slow speed of the ball is offset by her ability to lock enemies in place. The Lyuda works really well with FL4K because of how his Fade Away special worked with it. The Storm was so effective with FL4K that I was always looking for a new one. The Rowan's Call/Lucian's Call/King's Call/Queen's Call (all the 'Call' weapons) are amazing with my Moze gunner build, as they effectively gave her AOE damage and infinite ammo in the magazine.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

New code is up: 5SKTJ-3CSKZ-WFCF9-6BJ3T-WC96W
Gets you a Conference Call shotgun. No keys. Hopefully it comes with pants as well...

Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So... Update today. Some of it is pretty game-changing. Some points:

Added additional SDU’s for bank size, backpack size, heavy ammo and sniper rifle ammo

All sorts of Moze buffs

Lots of fixes

Kicked off Revenge of the Cartels, a Maurice event (the Saurian on Sanctuary for those who weren't around for previous events.)

New event, Loot the Universe (Each week one planet will have increased Legendary drop rates, with each zone on that planet giving the bonus to a different type of item, ie pistols, SMGs, class mods.) This week it is Pandora.

Mayhem Mode 2.0 You should probably read that one yourself.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I wish there was a way to play the game as launched (with bug fixes) and then opt in to all the different events they have.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

stessier wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:57 pm I wish there was a way to play the game as launched (with bug fixes) and then opt in to all the different events they have.
There may be.
As with other seasonal events, you can turn the event on or off at any time between its start and end dates via an option in the Main Menu.

Black Lives Matter

stessier

Post by stessier »

TheMix wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:54 pm
stessier wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:57 pm I wish there was a way to play the game as launched (with bug fixes) and then opt in to all the different events they have.
There may be.
As with other seasonal events, you can turn the event on or off at any time between its start and end dates via an option in the Main Menu.
Egads - I'll look. Thanks!!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

stessier wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:28 pm
TheMix wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:54 pm
There may be.
Egads - I'll look. Thanks!!
That lets you toggle the Maurice type events (Halloween, the Cartels), but not the things like tweaks to loot. Maurice events are entirely new activities. Loot events are modifications to the base game - essentially a patch that is then unpatched after the event is over.

You can technically avoid those by playing offline, as that prevents it from loading the hotfix patches at all, which are loaded live each time you log in, but then you lose out on every other element of the hotfix patch and can't play with others.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I'm confused. I finished the main story of Love and Tentacles but had a few quests to do. When I log in today it's like I don't own the DLC. Returned me to Sanctuary 3 and there's no travel option to go there nor do any of the quests show up anymore

Edit: Turns out my DLC was disabled??? Just enabled it...hopefully it remembers I finished it :(
stessier

Post by stessier »

My legendary Compressed Storm appears to be broken after the hot fixes. It no longer does it's storm thing - it is just a regular shock sniper rifle. This makes me sad.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Not impressed so far with the event. I was running Mayhem 3 on my Gunnar. I managed to get enough coordinates to tackle the hideaway but ended up dropping to Mayhem 2. I wasn't paying much attention previously, but did they change the Health/Armor/Damage bonuses for the mobs? I feel like they were in the 100-150% range previously. When I noticed/looked last night, they were 600% for M3 and 400% for M2. I didn't see that mentioned in the notes. So maybe I'm wrong. But if so, that's a very significant change.

I did get to the final fight, but have getting destroyed twice I bailed completely. Clearly I am not ready for that on any Mayhem level. And it remains to be seen if I can defeat him on base TVHM.

And I'm leaning heavily towards turning the event off for leveling characters. It was very frustrating last night. At least on a level 10-12 character. I was just trying to do quests, but kept running into cartel members. Who would summon in more. One fight had 3-4 groups pop in including 2 mini-bosses. I ran out of ammo on all 3 of my guns. So, yeah, if you aren't actually going to try to do the hideout, it's probably a good idea to turn off the event on leveling characters. At least low level ones. :(

Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It used to be you just took on the hardest you could manage for the extra loot. Now that the loot scales to the Mayhem level, I think the idea is to play it more like Diablo 3. Play a hardish one until you get good enough gear to bump it up, repeat.

But yeah, +100% health, +150% shields and armor used to be M3.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm not liking the new Mayhem now that I've got some time in with it.

For one thing, in M2 the XP bonus is 40%. In the old M2, the bonus was 500%. That's more than a 90% nerf. The eridium and cash drop bonuses were comparably nerfed.

And the new modifiers don't make it more interesting as much as they make it more annoying.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Agreed. It was definitely a significant boost to the enemies with a significant nerf to the players. Maybe the goal is to slow down leveling so much that you basically end up going through the game once for every Mayhem level. I don't know. But it's unlikely that these changes will entice me to play the "end game".

Which is another thing... I never felt that the Borderlands games needed an "end game". I put the hours in that I did leveling every character through multiple playthroughs. Not once did I ever think, "gee, I wish I could keep grinding on Axton now that I've beaten UVHM and all the DLCs". To me these events feel like they are trying to create an environment where people will keep playing. I assume that PvP is only a short way away.

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I think I may be moving into stessier's camp. I just want to play the game and the DLC. I don't want events. I haven't liked them in any other game I've played that's implemented them. In Destiny 2 I was mostly able to ignore stuff. I'm finding the events in Dying Light to be distracting (at best) or, sometimes, completely ruining the experience.

Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I actually like events, as long as they can be ignored once I've done them. They add variety. The end-game is... ok. I enjoy having a few things to do, but it isn't a game where I'm going to spend months building up my character like I would an MMO. A few days or weeks to get a few goodies? Sure. But the gameplay loop isn't deep enough to support long-term play.

I've played four or so hours now and the new Mayhem doesn't seem as bad as it was initially. First off, it isn't an adjustment of the old system. It is a completely new system. Let go of the idea of doing second playthrough on Mayhem 2 or 3. Those are end-game now. Level at M0 or 1. Let go of the assumption of how Mayhem works.

I'm wondering if they didn't pull an old MMO trick with the cash/XP/eridium rates: If you want to adjust something down by 50% and want to avoid the outcry, adjust it down by 90%. Then when everyone complains, raise it up to where you originally wanted to to be. Stupid human psychology makes everyone think they just got a huge buff.

Another thing that I discovered that does help quite a bit: When you are on the Mayhem screen looking at the modifiers, pushing Q (by default - see the bottom of the screen) randomizes the modifiers.

I still don't like how vague the modifiers are on XP/money, and too many of the random modifiers are more annoying than fun. It really needs a couple of balance passes.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

For the record, the frozen orbs that track you really suck.

Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The one that was giving me problems before I realized you could change them was the one that, when you damage an enemy, that enemy gets 3% resistance to that damage, stacking up to 20 times. It would be no big deal for a high-crit sniper build that does massive damage, but a high fire rate SMG/assault rifle character hits them so rapidly that they very, very quickly spike to 60% resistance, effectively more than doubling their already super-buffed health.

I generally dislike modifiers that punish one character over others.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Fl4K took down the Jacobs vault monster today. I started the battle at Level 27 and about 1/3 of the way through hit Level 28. That sped things up as I got the "25% chance for critical hit with every shot" skill. The problem was the monster is a Level 30, so I was just plinking away at him. Fortunately, I had a Level 16 Nuclear Infinity pistol, so I just had to avoid the attacks, let Broodless handle the spawned mobs, and keep my target on the monster.

Has anyone else noticed bugs since the hot fixes? Besides my compressed storm turning into a single shot sniper rifle, my Catch-a-Rides no longer remember the last customized ride I had and always default to a specific cycle that I've never used. It's very annoying.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

New code for 10 keys: 5JCTJ-FZSHK-R9R6Z-5RBTB-KKJZT

Not sure about bugs. But I did have problems one time trying to get the vehicle to spawn correctly. I think it took me 4 tries before it finally spawned what I asked for. And I got a CTD. I don't think I've seen any other weird behavior. At least not that I recall.

Black Lives Matter

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I haven't noticed anything though not sure how much vehicle spawning I've done the past few plays
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm being a little tolerant right now. I've played enough MMOs to know that huge overhaul patches are followed by bugs, and that the hotfixes are always on the way.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I think my RNG is broken. The Badasses I've been beating since Monday have been dropping 2-4 legendaries each. The interesting thing is that in all but one or two cases, they are the same weapon but different variants. So I got this rocket launcher that throws a spiral that itself starts throwing projectiles. I got the corrosive, radiation, standard, and fire versions from one Badass. I got 8 pistols from 3 other ones - but only two types varying over all the possible elements. I've gotten 25 legendaries over the last 6 hours of play. It's pretty nuts. Some of the guns are fantastic and it's neat to see all the options - but I can't imagine this was intended.
stessier

Post by stessier »

You know what, it has to be part of Loot the Universe. Almost all of those drops were on Pandora. A few were also on Nekratofayo, but I think those were some of the more varied ones.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Interesting. I thought the type was standard. What zones are/were you in.

I was getting SMGs from The Droughts and Sniper Rifles from Ascension Bluff.

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I will say that I am getting way too many legendaries. Though that it probably my fault. I'm running on Mayhem 1 with at least +12 to my luck.

Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

As far as getting money and eridium goes, I don't think the nerf works the way I thought. They reduced it for general play, so you won't gain piles of cash just for playing normally, but I set myself up with Loot Expander (relic that increases cash drops) and set my Mayhem 2 modifier to Lootsplosion. Every single enemy killed with a crit was dropping a ton of cash and two eridium. In just a couple of hours with Fl4k I raked in about 10,000,000 bucks. Granted, it's easy to kill stuff with crits with a Fade Away Fl4k, but that was still a ton of cash.

So money on the side while casually questing won't make you rich, but intentionally farming it (even while questing) will make you a lot.
stessier

Post by stessier »

TheMix wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:03 pm Interesting. I thought the type was standard. What zones are/were you in.

I was getting SMGs from The Droughts and Sniper Rifles from Ascension Bluff.
I still stink are remembering zones.

I got the rocket launchers when I grabbed the Golden Truck to get into Carnivora, and I got all the pistols when I helped reopen Boomtown.

This is on my Normal playthrough with FL4K - no Mayhem levels are in play.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Made it to level 24 as Moze, having a blast - just got to swamp land (or whatever it's called). For no discernible reason, I figured what the hell - let me try the Siren before I get much further. I'm about to hit level 10 with her and make it to the Sanctuary. She's a lot better than I thought she'd be. Feels like she hits kinda hard but isn't as soft as FL4K or Zane did (to me). I played FL4K to level 14 and Zane to level 10-ish. I still think Moze's Iron Bear is the best power of all, but Amara is (I think) my second favorite character to play (so far). I've never jumped between all 4 characters this much for a Borderlands game. I have 37 hours (in a row?) of play time and I don't think Moze is at the 1/2 way point of the game yet. Pretty impressive in terms of content.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm playing Amara myself in the game with the kids and just hit 54 tonight. She's pretty damned effective. There is a skill that links nearby enemies to your phaselock target so that they share damage, and another that puts a sort of 'light' phaselock on those same enemies. If I can phaselock a badass with a bunch of normal enemies around I can drop the entire group by just shooting the badass, all the while none of them are able to move.

And I just got the second capstone skill so I can use the ability twice in a single cooldown.
stessier

Post by stessier »

stessier wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:43 am Moze has saved the galaxy after 85 hours and at Level 48! I watched all the credits. There were A LOT...pretty sure it took 25 minutes to go through them all. Now back to Sanctuary to pilfer.
For comparison, FL4K just made it to TVHM in 22h 5m and hit Level 37 by entering the final vault. I did about 6 side missions and only about the same number of crew tasks. Compared to Moze, I felt like a hot knife going through butter - I was whirling death. It was a lot of fun.