Out There, space adventure survival roguelike [PC/Switch/mobile]

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Hipolito

Out There, space adventure survival roguelike [PC/Switch/mobile]

Post by Hipolito »

When FTL came out, I tried it like everyone else, but gave up after a few hours. It was a cool game, but too tough for me. Some time after that, I discovered Out There, which is kind of like FTL without combat. While Out There is not an easy game, even on "Easy" difficulty, I got much further in it than in FTL.

In Out There, you're a spaceman who's awoken from cryosleep, all alone and far from Earth. You don't know where you are or how you got there. You fly from one star to the next, desperately keeping your ship operational by mining planets for resources. You meet alien races and trade with them. At first, you won't understand their language, and can only guess at what they want. But with each alien encounter, you learn a new word of their language.

Even in the first 10 minutes of play, you may have a bad run of luck and not scavenge enough resources to keep going, bringing the game to an early end. But with good fortune and smart decisions, you can take over a powerful derelict ship, upgrade it with alien technologies, and learn about the forces at play in this region of space. You can pursue one of four different endings, the most difficult of which has such a convoluted (but cool) solution that you may need a walkthrough.

Every time you warp to a new system, you get a random text passage. Sometimes it's a wry philosophical musing, and sometimes its a potentially dangerous (or fruitful) encounter in which you have to make a decision. I've put dozens of hours into the game and have earned all four endings, and I still get random encounters I haven't seen before.

Out There started as an iOS/Android game in 2014, and was later ported to Steam in an enhanced "Omega Edition" that added the fourth ending. Its pretty art and moody music evoke the main character's loneliness and faint hope for salvation.

I enjoyed the challenge of surviving in Out There. Even when my ship was powerful and the ending I wanted was just a few hops away, I knew that bad luck or carelessness could ruin me, and this kept the game suspenseful. Typos aside, the writing is good and the lore presents a universe that has both a painful history and a whimsical side. I recommend it, and maybe I'll give FTL another chance now that Out There has toughened me up some.
Last edited by Hipolito on Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moat_Man

Re: Out There, space adventure survival roguelike [PC/mobile]

Post by Moat_Man »

Excellent write up. Wishlisted for a future purchase. Thanks Hipolito.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

I played this game a few years ago on Android. It seemed pretty interesting, but Android games aren't really my thing so I didn't stick with it for more than a few days.
Conform or be cast out!
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Well, I'll just go ahead and put that in my cart... :wink:
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Just played through the demo on the Switch. Seems like my cup of tea. Purchased and downloading now.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Hipolito

Re: Out There, space adventure survival roguelike [PC/Switch/mobile]

Post by Hipolito »

Hope you enjoy it. Looks like they added a 5th ending for the Switch version.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Hipolito wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:10 pm Hope you enjoy it. Looks like they added a 5th ending for the Switch version.
I am enjoying this! First half dozen or so runs ended in quick disaster, but I’m doing better now. Question: Any reason to keep aliens who join me on my ship? I’ve got two hitchhikers right now, and as much as I’d like to host them, they are taking up valuable slots in my inventory. Same with an alien cocoon I picked up. Do these things serve any purpose?
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Kurth wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:25 am
Hipolito wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:10 pm Hope you enjoy it. Looks like they added a 5th ending for the Switch version.
I am enjoying this! First half dozen or so runs ended in quick disaster, but I’m doing better now. Question: Any reason to keep aliens who join me on my ship? I’ve got two hitchhikers right now, and as much as I’d like to host them, they are taking up valuable slots in my inventory. Same with an alien cocoon I picked up. Do these things serve any purpose?
Alien hitchhikers and cocoons?! I don't remember ever seeing those. Maybe they have something to do with the new 5th ending. I would ditch them and focus on getting the easier endings for now, until you've gotten more familiar with the game.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Hipolito wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:56 pm
Kurth wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:25 am
Alien hitchhikers and cocoons?! I don't remember ever seeing those. Maybe they have something to do with the new 5th ending. I would ditch them and focus on getting the easier endings for now, until you've gotten more familiar with the game.
Not sure, but I dropped them. Took up way too much inventory space, which I'm finding is my biggest limiting factor. This game is difficult!