Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

Jedi: Fallen Order

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Skinypupy

Re: Jedi: Fallen Order

Post by Skinypupy » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:25 pm

I think that looks pretty damn fun.
“Don’t tickle the wall clown.” - MST3K

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:26 pm

It looks interesting, but it's still difficult to get an idea on the feel of the gameplay. But kind of looks like Force Unleashed 3.0 to me, which is kind of underwhelming when you consider how long we've waited for a new single-player game. Gameplay-wise, it doesn't look like things have evolved all that much, even graphically.
PC:
Intel i5 660
8GB RAM
Asus ROG 4GB 1050Ti

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:07 pm

My first thought was that it looks like Tomb Raider/Uncharted and Jedi Knight had a baby. That's not a bad thing. Those were all great games. At the same time, though, my overwhelming feeling while watching the footage was, "I've played this."
[This space left intentionally blank.]

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:35 pm

This doesn't even look all that Uncharted-like to me though. Camera angle make it look a lot more like Infamous/Force Unleashed.
PC:
Intel i5 660
8GB RAM
Asus ROG 4GB 1050Ti

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:06 am

Blackhawk wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:07 pm
My first thought was that it looks like Tomb Raider/Uncharted and Jedi Knight had a baby. That's not a bad thing. Those were all great games. At the same time, though, my overwhelming feeling while watching the footage was, "I've played this."
Ya Tomb Raider / Jedi Knight is exactly what I got. Was hoping for KOTOR. Meh. I think some of the older cancelled Star Wars games looked better especially Star Wars 1313. But maybe this will be a surprise hit.
https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-di ... -wife-died ....Help for me to take care of stuff . Wife died Jan 3 2019 after 31 years. My soulmate.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:56 am

I don't think those bugs would hold up that well against a lightsaber. A. Light. Saber.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>

YoungGrumpyMan

Post by YoungGrumpyMan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:37 am

Really enjoyed what I saw from it. Gameplay did look a bit linear and straightforward, but it was the combat that stole the show for me. Gave me huge Sekiro vibes - was there any kind of system similar to the posture system in Sekiro? One enemy bar was the healt, the other one was...?
Anyway, definitely gonna try and play this on hard mode.

Apparently this was played on what, Easy or Normal mode, no? Hated how on EA Play, just before the demo, they tried to frame this as being played by a pro who knows the game and its systems, and then the dude takes some stupid fucking hits from the spiders. Didn't look like that great of a player, and that hurt the showcase, in my opinion. Not that it's a problem with the combat of the game itself.

In terms of graphics, ambience, sound, everything looked/sounded great.

Saw a tweet from April this year, EA Star Wars account, saying this game won't have any loot boxes or microtransactions. If that's the case, then I'm pretty sure they have my money if what we learn more of this game keeps in line with what was shown here. We'll see.

Enviado do meu SM-N960F através do Tapatalk

JCC

Post by JCC » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:39 am

I think this looks fantastic!

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:38 am

GreenGoo wrote:
Something about the look is putting me off. Either the animation, or the lighting. Not sure what, but something.
I had the same impression. I think it’s the running animation( it just looks stiff and stilted to me.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:45 am

I wouldn't worry too much about the tech this early on. The way these things usually work is that what we saw was an alpha, with half of a level hurriedly polished enough to show, with half of the game's systems replaced with scripting. They speed-code that in order to be able to show it at E3, then replace - or outright discard - half of what they showed before the game is finished.
[This space left intentionally blank.]

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:38 pm

Perhaps, but the clunky feel seems to be core, and the weird look of the textures and model edges feels like a throwback to earlier technology, like a decade old technology. It looks very artificial.

Back to animations, for a game like tomb raider or Sekiro or any other 3rd person perspective game, the character needs to feel half ninja and half acrobat if he's a supernatural combatant, imo. And the controls need to be intuitive and fluid. While it's impossible to tell about the controls, obviously, the rest is slightly off-putting because he looks slightly uncoordinated. It's almost as if they used Nick Cage for their motion capture, who is one of the least coordinated, least athletic actors I've ever seen run. Watching him move is cringe worthy. While the game isn't as bad as that, it's not great.

But that's just my initial impression. As you say, there is plenty of development time left and I rarely even look at a game before release, so I'm not a great judge of this stage of development. As with nearly every game I buy, I'll wait for initial impressions and market consensus when the time comes.

Conceptually, the game is right up my wheelhouse (yes, mixed metaphors are fun) and I'm somewhat excited to see what they release.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:05 pm

What I'd really like is an open-world SW game similar to Red Faction Guerilla. I don't think we've ever had that kind of game in the SW Universe before.
PC:
Intel i5 660
8GB RAM
Asus ROG 4GB 1050Ti

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:33 pm

Rumpy wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:05 pm
What I'd really like is an open-world SW game similar to Red Faction Guerilla. I don't think we've ever had that kind of game in the SW Universe before.
We almost did then it was cancelled. Heres the old trailer from a few years ago.

https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-di ... -wife-died ....Help for me to take care of stuff . Wife died Jan 3 2019 after 31 years. My soulmate.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:41 pm

*sigh* That trailer makes me sad of all the lost potential.
PC:
Intel i5 660
8GB RAM
Asus ROG 4GB 1050Ti

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:58 pm

A longer gameplay trailer has surfaced, which imho is much better than the first one. The gameplay is now being destribed as metroidesque and Castlevania, whatever that means seeing as I've only ever played the NES games that were linear. But this new gameplay is much more impressive, in particular the part where he's climbing the AT-AT.

PC:
Intel i5 660
8GB RAM
Asus ROG 4GB 1050Ti

JCC

Post by JCC » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:21 pm

A Metroidvania style Star Wars game sounds awesome to me. And, I liked the E3 footage.

If you played Batman Arkham Asylum - that's a Metroidvania style game.

And, calling Metroid or Zelda linear is a bit silly. There is a linear progression path, but they were doing "open world" games before The Elder Scrolls ever existed.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:04 pm

I wasn't calling Zelda linear. Didn't even mention those games :lol: Yeah, they were quite open-world for their time. But as for Metroidvania, I've only had limited time with those and I only remember them for the platforming.
PC:
Intel i5 660
8GB RAM
Asus ROG 4GB 1050Ti