Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

Supraland

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lordnine

Supraland

Post by Lordnine » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:37 pm

Supraland is my favorite puzzle game since The Talos Principle. While that game went full philosophical this is definitely a bit lighter in the story department (you are red stickman with a wood sword) but many of the puzzles are equally clever. This fact is a little deceptive at first because the game starts out pretty simple.

The first half hour of the game is spent just collecting basic upgrades and doing simple block puzzles but where things go from there is incredible. The game also takes some heavy inspiration from games like Metroid and Zelda. A major element of the game is hunting for upgrades and these are hidden everywhere. You will also do a large amount of returning to areas once you unlock additional abilities to traverse the environment in new ways. The one negative I have for the game is that the combat feels like an afterthought and really doesn’t need to be in the game. That said, I have so many upgrades at this point that I can one shot most enemies so it isn’t that big of a deal.

Definitely check out the game if you want a very clever puzzle game.

coopasonic

Re: Supraland

Post by coopasonic » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:58 pm

and there is a demo... and it is pretty awesome.

-Coop

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:48 am

Picked this up and enjoying it so far. Humor is good, environment is interesting, puzzles are aren't too tough so far, no bugs.

Wasn't too sure about it at first, but I stuck it out long enough to get the first MacGuffin, and it seems to open up and get some more variety after that.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:23 pm

My 12yo and are playing it in real world co-op. Both playing separately in the same room, calling out when we find cool stuff and helping each other solve different puzzles. He's gotten quite a few that had me a little puzzled (and vice versa). Two heads are better than one.
-Coop

Lordnine

Post by Lordnine » Thu May 02, 2019 10:04 pm

And finished...or as finished as I am going to make it. I completed the final puzzle/boss and did enough extra stuff afterwords to "become happy". I thought the ending could have used a bit more conclusion but this is still one of the most enjoyable games I've played in quite a while.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic » Sat May 04, 2019 2:58 pm

I finished the story this morning. I am not sure how much further I want to go. I have a terrible time navigating the world. I mostly just wander randomly waiting for the chest detector to tell me there is something to find. There are still 51 chests in the world which kind of boggles my mind after all I have picked up.
-Coop

Lordnine

Post by Lordnine » Sat May 04, 2019 9:18 pm

One hint I would give for navigating is to look up. Most areas of the world are laid out in such a way that you can navigate by looking for the giant crystals. I would have preferred a real map but once I started to use them as markers it became a lot easier. Also, there are just tons of shortcuts if you look for the breakable minecraft blocks. They are sometimes a bit hidden but it seems like almost every area has at least one.