[PC] New World

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: [PC] New World

Post by coopasonic »

I removed this from my Wish List but the Wanderers making a run at it has me at least considering it again. I still don't think I will. Too many reports of an uninteresting world and annoying grind-y quests.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
soulbringer

Post by soulbringer »

More than likely in but my game time will be limited with my new job. Looking forward to it.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:38 pm I removed this from my Wish List but the Wanderers making a run at it has me at least considering it again. I still don't think I will. Too many reports of an uninteresting world and annoying grind-y quests.
Where are you seeing those reports? From what I am seeing, they are saying the word is interesting and the action engaging.
Tao

Post by Tao »

baelthazar wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:38 pm
coopasonic wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:38 pm I removed this from my Wish List but the Wanderers making a run at it has me at least considering it again. I still don't think I will. Too many reports of an uninteresting world and annoying grind-y quests.
Where are you seeing those reports? From what I am seeing, they are saying the word is interesting and the action engaging.
MMORPG for one. Apparently the original game design did not include quests and the current quest system was tacked on much later when testers expressed their concerns. Quests in their current state are not being well received.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I caved and bought the standard edition (I don't really care about the skins or the wolfhound pet or whatever it is).

In general I feel I've read way more positive impressions than bad, but honestly these days if I can get a month or two worth of play out of a game for my $40 I'm satisfied. And rejoining The Wanderers is definitely something I'm really looking forward to - it's been literally years since I've played a game with a true guild of friends.

I know I said I wouldn't play closed beta due to character wipes, but you know I'm going to anyway. :P Now let's just hope my video card is old enough that they didn't even think to program the GPU-frying feature for it.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:19 am honestly these days if I can get a month or two worth of play out of a game for my $40 I'm satisfied.
Same. I really have no other games on my radar, except for Diablo II Resurrected for the time being.

Been playing the beta a bit just to get a feel for things and think I will be happy playing a sword and board swordmaster. (That's the more offensive variant of the tanky melee).

One interesting tidbit I recently came across is that there is an official tweet that the devs are planning to have controller support for launch.

So now I'm brainstorming about playing from a recliner in the living room in order to go full sloth mode. :lol:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Mostly friends that played the beta and a couple random articles that popped up my feed. For the record, I have below zero interest in the PvP side of things. The combat looks incredibly dull, yes action is better than a hotkey rotation that you could script, but that's a low bar.

I would probably be happy playing it but I am not remotely excited about the idea of playing it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:20 am
Mostly friends that played the beta and a couple random articles that popped up my feed. For the record, I have below zero interest in the PvP side of things. The combat looks incredibly dull, yes action is better than a hotkey rotation that you could script, but that's a low bar.

I would probably be happy playing it but I am not remotely excited about the idea of playing it.
After you said this, I went as looked into some player videos on Youtube. Boy was that something - people vacillated from being "this game is terrible and boring" to "this is the best MMORPG I have ever played." I think the main differences between people were:
  • How much you were willing to participate in the economy and area control game. If you like player-based economies like EVE, you might like New World.
  • How willing you are to switch skills and weapons frequently. One player I saw, having played around 20-30 hours, was complaining about how terrible the combat was and how magic wasn't viable. He also complained about the lack of skills. Another player, at 40+ hours, was raving about how flexible the combat was and how you could level up different weapons for different roles. He also liked the magic system.
  • How much you go in looking for traditional MMORPG, skills-based combat, versus a lighter version of the action-based combat of something like Dark Souls or TESO. Almost everyone compared the combat to Dark Souls or TESO. You could also criticize TESO for having only a handful of USEABLE skills.
  • How much you care about making your own quests based on faction goals/player economy/crafting versus wanting to have story-based quests with variety from NPC quest givers. Almost everyone agreed the quests were lame, but one guy pointed out that they were there to basically drive the economy - which was his favorite part of the game.
  • If you want a game like EVE or want a game like WoW. This sounds like land-based EVE to me, with significantly less number crunching.
The good news is one player pointed out that the game is in better shape than TESO and FFXIV was when they released and he suspects it to have a similar trajectory of slightly disappointing launch followed by a flurry of updates adding things like better quests, mounts, etc. that will make the game stronger.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The economy stuff is good to hear. I'm a sucker for a strong economy in an MMO.

Case in point was an old MMO called HORIZONS from 2003 (where my Horizons fans at?) It was technically spotty at best (I remember large numbers of players on screen would bring framerates to their knees), and had a myriad number of other issues. But the crafting/economy was AMAZING. The best I had ever seen at the time, and at that time I played every MMO that came out. I'd spend hours just crafting and ignoring the larger world outside.

If NEW WORLD can bring that crafting/economy hook, then I can absolutely see myself being drawn in despite the state of the PvE and dungeon experience.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Goodness... I forgot about that game. I don't think I played it, but I spent a lot of time considering it.

I want a limited-stress PvE game with the variety of a PvP sandbox game, where I can still experience everything without getting frustrated by grind. :mrgreen:

I've only given this a cursory look but could see myself getting roped into it if there's a large OO/Wanderers contingent at launch. The box cost is just hard for me to justify. I would honestly rather pay monthly instead and give them more incentive to produce new content if I'm actually enjoying the game.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:36 am The economy stuff is good to hear. I'm a sucker for a strong economy in an MMO.

Case in point was an old MMO called HORIZONS from 2003 (where my Horizons fans at?) It was technically spotty at best (I remember large numbers of players on screen would bring framerates to their knees), and had a myriad number of other issues. But the crafting/economy was AMAZING. The best I had ever seen at the time, and at that time I played every MMO that came out. I'd spend hours just crafting and ignoring the larger world outside.

If NEW WORLD can bring that crafting/economy hook, then I can absolutely see myself being drawn in despite the state of the PvE and dungeon experience.
Ha it's funny you mentioned Horizons because I was just thinking how it reminded me of it and how much I enjoyed that game - not so much the crafting, but with the PvE incursion kind of gameplay, which I love. From what I played in beta, I do think the crafting is very well done though, I don't know enough about the economy.

Re - grindy quests. Yes, it is there and yes it can start to feel grindy after a while if you let it, I'm not gonna sugarcoat that. There are also a few quests where you get old fashioned Everquest camping for bosses which really annoyed me. I sent multiple feedback messages hoping they will address this. There's also a lot of running back and forth, a LOT. Good thing the world is so pretty lol. There are fast travel systems, but not quite enough for my taste.

That said, the overall feel of the world is fantastic, and I really really like the skill system so far. In spite of the main level grind, you always feel like you are making progress in your skills. And while it may not have the detailed lore of other games, it feels more like a "living" world than any of the other MMOs I've played, so that's saying a lot. It can be really relaxing to just explore an area, gathering from a new plant, killing some random wolves and then skinning them. Running into some creepy undead and killing them, and getting some nice loot. There's a really nice feel to the game that's hard to describe on paper.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Oh, rittchard brings up a point discussed by the videos -

The game suffers, at the moment, from the same issues as early days WoW or Ultima Online/Everquest - you get a quest to kill X amount of enemies and, since nothing is instanced, you have to wait and compete for killing those enemies. It gets worse when it is a "skin X animals" quest, because anyone who helped kill it can skin it - so you get people swooping in and skinning your kills.

This will probably get fixed pretty early, since it is a common MMORPG problem.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

baelthazar wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:53 pm Oh, rittchard brings up a point discussed by the videos -

The game suffers, at the moment, from the same issues as early days WoW or Ultima Online/Everquest - you get a quest to kill X amount of enemies and, since nothing is instanced, you have to wait and compete for killing those enemies. It gets worse when it is a "skin X animals" quest, because anyone who helped kill it can skin it - so you get people swooping in and skinning your kills.

This will probably get fixed pretty early, since it is a common MMORPG problem.
It's really odd this made it into the game considering how long it has been in development and the amount of good ideas they seem to have taken from past lessons learned.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I haven't had a tremendous amount of time to spend with the beta, but I jumped in for a bit to see how it had come along since I last played the alpha.

The good news is that my impressions were pretty positive. The game feels a bit more polished, and I started to get the hang of combat in a way I never quite did during alpha. I still very much enjoy crafting/gathering - they did such a good job giving harvesting a really visceral feel. You can hear the echo of your hammer when you're mining boulders, and you're chopping down honest-to-God large trees which is oh so satisfying.

I did not get a chance to try out PvP, but hope to do so a bit before beta ends in a couple of days. I did find the faction quests fairly compelling early on - it remains to be seen how grindy that starts feeling, but for now it appeals to me as a nice hook.

Overall I think the strongest thing the game has going for it is that it feels a bit more..."grown up" than a lot of other MMOs, but without adding a lot of complexity. What I mean by that is that every mechanic feels slightly less dumbed down than I'm used to. Combat requires some skill. Gathering requires a bit of patience. You have to put some thought behind your character's advancement because you're not on rails with particular class. Ammos is scarce. You can't just (at least early on) instant travel everywhere - you have to put in the work to get places. There are quests introducing you to the game, but you're not getting slammed with 30 at a time. You kind of have to create your own experience, and while others may see that as a drawback, I find it somewhat refreshing.

My only caveat is that despite the game feeling a bit more mature, the player base certainly doesn't seem to be. The amount of childishness in global chat I saw last night was a little disheartening. All the more reason to stick with the Wanderers I guess!
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Picked up the beta a few days ago and I'm really enjoying it. I wish they were launching now so they could catch more WoW refugees like me.

I really like the gathering and crafting and I like that you can get a decent amount of XP just by wandering the world and gathering the various trees, rocks and nodes. Combat is a lot more involved than WoW's "stand and push numbers" system and I think will keep me interested despite only having 6 skills available at any one time (3 for each weapon).

I also really appreciate that they have shared mob tagging so anyone who hits a mob gets credit. Since WoW implemented it I can't play a MMO that doesn't have that feature. With shared tagging other players are allies helping you beat down a mob - without it every other player is a competitor trying to get credit for the tag.

Do the Wanderers have a server picked? With only 4 character slots I want to make sure I pick the right server to be able to play with folks I know.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Ughhhh if you people keep implying interest I'm going to have no choice. It would be so strange to play a game with people I know again.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Sudy wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:03 pm Ughhhh if you people keep implying interest I'm going to have no choice. It would be so strange to play a game with people I know again.
I really like the beta but I can easily see this game fading after just a few months. There's not a huge variety of mobs to fight - in my time leveling to 15 I saw pseudo-zombies, boars, wolves, and that's about it. There are only a few dungeons in the game and end-game seems centered on the faction-based PvP. I can see a lot of folks bailing on the game after they get sick of the faction war.

For $40 with no monthly fee it's the kind of game I can see playing for a month or two and then shelving until more content gets added.
Last edited by Exodor on Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

But I mean, that's 90 days of community and not thinking about what a black dwarf star is.

Seriously speaking, I don't know if an MMO has ever held my attention for more than one or two months consistently except for one or two WoW stints. Not that I don't wish I'd find a game/community had that kind of staying power with me, though.

noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

http://www.the-wanderers-guild.com/portal.php - Server still to be picked.

PM me for the discord link.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Wait... there is no monthly fee? That makes the risk factor way less!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

baelthazar wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:42 am Wait... there is no monthly fee? That makes the risk factor way less!
Yeah which just makes you wonder how they will monetize it down the road... I haven't really followed the game so I don't know if they have already discussed it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I was initially interested, but after watching a couple previews I don't think it's my type of game. I generally enjoy theme park more than Sandbox MMO's to begin with, but have little interest in the focus on PvP, the overall higher level of difficulty (mentioned in multiple previews), some of the design choices (like having to find quests with no quest markers on NPCs), etc.

I really want a new MMO to get into, but will wait for lots more feedback on this one once it's fully released before taking the plunge.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jag

Post by Jag »

I think I'll probably jump in and play with the Wanderers as well. Should be fun. Saw some of them posting on QT3 and joined the new discord.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:05 am
baelthazar wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:42 am Wait... there is no monthly fee? That makes the risk factor way less!
Yeah which just makes you wonder how they will monetize it down the road... I haven't really followed the game so I don't know if they have already discussed it.
Selling mounts to people who want mounts but they didn't include them in the base game. :horse:
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I almost prefer paying monthly (presuming there's no box cost). Companies seem to have figured monetization out though. But I feel like MMOs are a genre that is legitimately a service, and I don't mind paying if it means seeing regular new content and good maintenance of the existing game and moderation of the community.

But back in the day, paying $59.99 plus 14.99 after the first month stung. Especially for what was often a buggy and/or overpopulated mess for the first week or two.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Delayed to 9/28 to fix bugs.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I applaud the decision to wait and make the game better, but I can't say I'm not disappointed. I really haven't been playing much of anything, and New World was going to be my triumphant dive back into PC gaming. Having to wait an extra month is a lot of time to fill.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:50 pm I applaud the decision to wait and make the game better, but I can't say I'm not disappointed. I really haven't been playing much of anything, and New World was going to be my triumphant dive back into PC gaming. Having to wait an extra month is a lot of time to fill.
Me too. I'm hoping the big Valheim update that's supposed to drop "before September" will help fill the time.
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:06 am
YellowKing wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:19 am honestly these days if I can get a month or two worth of play out of a game for my $40 I'm satisfied.
Same. I really have no other games on my radar, except for Diablo II Resurrected for the time being.

Been playing the beta a bit just to get a feel for things and think I will be happy playing a sword and board swordmaster. (That's the more offensive variant of the tanky melee).

One interesting tidbit I recently came across is that there is an official tweet that the devs are planning to have controller support for launch.

So now I'm brainstorming about playing from a recliner in the living room in order to go full sloth mode. :lol:
this was the latest I saw and it made me sad. " 4, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
I loved DP too! :P - ChesspieceFace
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Harkonis wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:34 am
Hamlet3145 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:06 am

this was the latest I saw and it made me sad. " 4, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Well, crap. Time to dig out my old steam controller and get working on a template.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

You can't use a controller, how will you keep up with the best feature of the game? GUILD CHAT!

(Hamlet has entered the world)
> Hamlet: Test
> Rittchard: Icles
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

also you can just use a keyboard ;)
naednek

Post by naednek »

Think I only watched a video or two and only exposure to the game is this thread.... I bought it for $40 at Fanatical... The idea of no monthly fee is a huge factor.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have one of those 360 controller keyboards. They were ok.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
naednek

Post by naednek »

naednek wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:22 pm Think I only watched a video or two and only exposure to the game is this thread.... I bought it for $40 at Fanatical... The idea of no monthly fee is a huge factor.
So who's the idiot? <--- this guy.

For some reason I get New World mixed up with HumanKind. And guess what I found out today... Yep I bought humankind. A game I have no interest in, and I already used the key and Fanatical doesn't refund.

So off to play and hope to be surprised :)
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

With units the size of New Zealand. Or Old Zealand.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

naednek wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:28 am
naednek wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:22 pm Think I only watched a video or two and only exposure to the game is this thread.... I bought it for $40 at Fanatical... The idea of no monthly fee is a huge factor.
So who's the idiot? <--- this guy.

For some reason I get New World mixed up with HumanKind. And guess what I found out today... Yep I bought humankind. A game I have no interest in, and I already used the key and Fanatical doesn't refund.

So off to play and hope to be surprised :)
LMAO!!! I am still debating on Humankind, I think I like the idea of 4x games in my head now more than I enjoy actually playing them. I think my patience or something has changed over the years. Let us know what you think! Oh... and be sure to still join us for New World lol.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

You can buy New World? I intensely dislike Amazon and don't trust them so I really have not been interested in this game. I guess as it progresses, I'm keeping a very close eye on how Amazon wants to enter my life through playing this game.
Black Lives Matter
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Lorini wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:09 pm You can buy New World? I intensely dislike Amazon and don't trust them so I really have not been interested in this game. I guess as it progresses, I'm keeping a very close eye on how Amazon wants to enter my life through playing this game.
It's a buy-to-play one time cost of $40. No monthly fee but likely expansions and other things in the future. Like free shipping on items under $5. Just kidding!!!