Fundraising for 2020/2021: Currently at $1431. Fundraising has begun, see the global post for options. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

Ghost Recon Breakpoint - 10/4/2019

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Re: Ghost Recon Breakpoint - 10/4/2019

Post by jztemple2 »

OK, so the good news for all those complaining that there were no AI Teammates in Breakpoint; you now have AI Teammates. The bad news? The underlying design of the opposition hasn't changed, so unless you radically crank up the enemy rating in the settings you're going to have a cake walk. How tough can enemy bases be if you can setting up Sync Shots from your AI and you Sync Shot Drone and take out seven bad guys at once? Most bad guys stand around in the middle of fields and forest and there is never more than a half-dozen, so unless you purposely play bad you'll be able to whack all of them, even if their ability rating is cranked up. Even enemy bases aren't going to be as challenging.

And, ironically, the AI Teammates update, if you enable it, rather defeats the Ghost Experience update from early this year. Your character might have to sweat your remaining stocks of bullets, bandages and other consumables, but your AI buddies never run out. And they are good at positioning tactically and at shooting. They even adjust their tactics to incorporate the kind of weapon they are carrying.

I played about 140 hours and completed the whole game playing solo as a ghost with no AI Teammates so I know it can be done. And if you are new to the game or are coming back to it after not being thrilled with it at release, I really recommend that you enable the Ghost Experience and roleplay the game as a Lone Wolf and only call in your AI Teammates if you are get stuck at a particularly tough missions.
The book historian Richard Altick once wrote, “There has always been a popular belief that more than casual attention to books is either a symptom or a cause of madness.”

Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Yeah I can see that being an issue, and I will definitely not enable AI teammates.

Frankly the only times I find Breakpoint difficult are when I'm storming a building, which the third-person view isn't really conducive to. AI teammates aren't really going to help here anyway because presumably they'll file along behind me.
The pro gamer formerly known as Huw the Poo

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Paradroid wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:08 am
Frankly the only times I find Breakpoint difficult are when I'm storming a building, which the third-person view isn't really conducive to. AI teammates aren't really going to help here anyway because presumably they'll file along behind me.
I found that it was hard to get them to come inside a building (no jokes please :roll:) if I used the "Go To" command. Their path finding seems to have issues with sliding doors. Not always, but sometimes. If I lead they are fine with that.

You'll find the game a bit more challenging when you try to take on a Behemoth :shock:
The book historian Richard Altick once wrote, “There has always been a popular belief that more than casual attention to books is either a symptom or a cause of madness.”

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I guess I'm also grumpy because of the following problem I posted to the Ubisoft Breakpoint support forum yesterday:
Controller helicopter Y-axis pitch control will not invert, no matter what settings

I have 168 hours in the game. I have the new patch. When I first used a helicopter I found that the controller Y-axis for pitch seemed to be switched back to non-inverted, even though it is still set to be inverted in the settings. I tried changing the setting to the opposite state, but the pitch control still acts as if it is non-inverted. I played around with a number of settings but nothing seems to work, I simply cannot select inverted Y-axis control for the helicopter, and I assume an airplane as well. Help!
No replies as of yet :(

I've started playing the first mission of the new Live Event, Join The Resistance!

ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Ok, I started playing this on PS4 (for background: I played Wildlands quite a bit Coop on PC and I finished The Division 1 and 2 on PS4). I'll play this likely only solo. I'm not a big fan of the whole gear score idea (I always found it slightly exhausting in The Division) but it can also give you a feeling of progress (and may force you to try new things). I'm NOT looking for a big challenge and I always enjoy stealthy play more than going in guns blazing.

So, what would you guys recommend regarding the settings? I think about switching gear score off and making some changes to the UI. How good/interesting is the whole "looting weapons" setting in immersive mode?

Thanks!

Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Without gear score the weapon looting becomes very similar to how it was in Wildlands. You'll gather "intel" on both weapons and weapon attachments, then if you have enough intel you'll be told where to go to get them. You can set these as "missions" so they're pinned to your map/HUD.
The pro gamer formerly known as Huw the Poo

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've really gotten to enjoy the whole Ghost Experience. Actually you don't really loot that many weapons. Once you find a loadout you like you'll probably stick with those.

I've gone with pretty much middle of the road Immersive settings, not too severe, but not too easy. The interface setting was the tricky one for me. If you go with the minimalist setting, while being more authentic, you'll spend a lot of time looking for loot ammo and other items. I finally went with the full interface setting.

ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it!

I think I'll go with Ghost Experience (no gear score) and yes, I'll have to look into the other settings. I really appreciate that these days most games let you change difficulty in-game, so I'll start and see how it feels, difficulty-wise. And yes, will also look more into the interface/HUD settings. I remember that we had much more fun in wildlands after we lowered some of the visibility settings because after a while you are basically shooting not at the enemy but these huge orange dots over the heads. I think we also removed the enemy "clouds" and relied much more on our own spotting but then again, that's easier in coop. So, will give this a try.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

These are my settings (click once or twice to enlarge)

As I said, I run the interface at Full just because I hate searching around for items on the ground. I do see those enemy "clouds" but I usually do a thorough drone recon anyway. I might switch to Medium for a try.

I've finished all but one of the Live Event missions. The first three were easy ambushes, the next three(?) were "clear the enemy camp" and the last two have been to rescue hostages without being detected. I've been using my AI teammates which makes things easier, but I've put in 170+ hours on the game so I can justify it :wink:. I have one mission left which I believe will be the final "rescue the hostages without being detected" mission type again.

As I mentioned, I didn't use my newly created character, since almost all of the map hasn't been seen by him. I went with the one I've put in 20+ hours but haven't done all that much of the campaigns, so I can use the AI Teammates to assist there.

Daehawk
Loading…

Post by Daehawk »

This is only $15 right now.
https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-di ... -wife-died ....Help for me to take care of stuff . Wife died Jan 3 2019 after 31 years. My soulmate.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk

ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Ok, some first impressions:

I went with Ghost Experience, no gear score, left the difficulty settings on "normal", medium interface (not sure what was removed, maybe it switches some stuff to "dynamic") and I'm doing the "not guided" exploration mode, which I like so far (it gives this is bit of an adventure wipe and reduces this "Oh, I have to hit these 15 points asap" feeling..

I started without teammates but you run into a lot of enemies and now I try it with them, so far I like it as it ads another tactical layer.

The enemy helicopters are a real pain in the ass and hiding seems to be the way to go. In a way, I like it, it makes you move tactically and looking for cover all the time. Oh, and I encountered some drones, and as --as expected-- I don't like them at all (I think that was persistently the most negative thing I read about the game).

The interface is completely overwhelming with all these missions, stuff you find, different colors, all the tabs etc. - this feels like work so far

I'm not understanding the loot system so far when it comes to gear (not weapons). I sometimes find stuff but when I go into the menu, everything seems to be cosmetic - is that tied to the "no gear score"?

Oh, and specific to the PS4 (or generally console version): I'm playing this on a PS4 Pro and I can choose between "resolution" and "graphical fidelity" - the former gives you 4k (or downscaled) and the latter one more graphical effects at 1080p. Faces look better with fidelity but I like the higher resolution on the 55in 4k TV. I have not stopped switching back-and-forth yet ...

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

ChuckB wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:26 pm
The interface is completely overwhelming with all these missions, stuff you find, different colors, all the tabs etc. - this feels like work so far

I'm not understanding the loot system so far when it comes to gear (not weapons). I sometimes find stuff but when I go into the menu, everything seems to be cosmetic - is that tied to the "no gear score"?
You'll get used to the interface, it is logically laid out. Just remember that you can pick up missions from the map so you'll know which ones are in the same province as you. Don't be shy about playing the secondary missions early, you'll be able to build up your skills.

If you have disabled Gear Levels then non-weapon gear are indeed just cosmetic.

Post if you have more questions.

ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

jztemple2 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:17 pm
Post if you have more questions.
Thanks!

So far, I'm quite enjoying the game. I really like the "not guided" exploration mode (I think Ubisoft added that to AC Odyssey, too, and I'll give it a try there, too) and I'm spending most of my time working my way through "sinking country", currently following a nice story line of a missing old friend of Mad Schulz. I like maps (generally) and the searching for the right map spots and the hints is really fun. I'm not doing that much fighting but I freed some rebels on an island in the east and cleared one based fo the story mission. Right now, I can't see how I can do this solo. I picked "panther" for my specialization to allow for a stealthy approach but once I get into firefights, it gets hairy and I need to rely partially on my team. Part of the issue may be that I have gotten MUCH better in playing shooters with the gamepad but once things get hectic, my aim is not that great.

I'm beginning to understand the menus and the mission structure and yes, being able to select a province and then select the respective missions is really important.

I'm also thinking that I may like to play with "gear score". The reason is that I found guns I like (like almost always in these games, I use an assault rifle (G36) and another rilfe 7.62 that also works as a sniper rifle). While this is all fun, I find myself beginning to ignore all weapon drops, as I don't expect to find anything MUCH more interesting. I have NOT looked into the weapon customization, disassembling, and building, maybe that gets more interesting. In short, I miss the loot aspect somewhat (same with other gear like vests, etc). The way I understand this, I could switch back (and forth) and see what I prefer, correct?

Helicopters are still a bit annoying. I can hide from them well enough but too often, they start a firefight with some random allies and I can either watch or start shooting.

I fought 2 wheeled drones (they guarded some homestead place) and did NOT enjoy that fight (and I understand these become even more difficult with weapon score on, right? Again, not sure how I could do this solo ...

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

ChuckB wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:40 pm
I'm also thinking that I may like to play with "gear score". The reason is that I found guns I like (like almost always in these games, I use an assault rifle (G36) and another rilfe 7.62 that also works as a sniper rifle). While this is all fun, I find myself beginning to ignore all weapon drops, as I don't expect to find anything MUCH more interesting. I have NOT looked into the weapon customization, disassembling, and building, maybe that gets more interesting. In short, I miss the loot aspect somewhat (same with other gear like vests, etc). The way I understand this, I could switch back (and forth) and see what I prefer, correct?
You can switch back and forth without penalty, the game keeps track of your Gear Level even if you are not using that option. Even without using Gear Level, you ought to be customizing your weapons, it really can help with the stats of the gun. Using parts to upgrade adds small updates. And the attachments are really important, you can highlight them on the loadout/Gunsmith page for each gun and see what stats they influence.
ChuckB wrote:
Helicopters are still a bit annoying. I can hide from them well enough but too often, they start a firefight with some random allies and I can either watch or start shooting.
Yeah, having the resistance allies activated can be a pain since they shoot at any helos they see, which can get your little group involved. I'm not sure how to deactivate the resistance allies, but I assume at the end of the Live Event they go away.
ChuckB wrote:
I fought 2 wheeled drones (they guarded some homestead place) and did NOT enjoy that fight (and I understand these become even more difficult with weapon score on, right? Again, not sure how I could do this solo ...
Drones are tough and get tougher, but there aren't any you can't beat, eventually. I've been playing without Gear Level for so many hours I've forgotten how different it might be with Gear Level active, but with it off, you just have to use a few tricks of the trade. You can Google for some videos, but basically you have to aim at their sensitive points. There is something that looks like a red eyeball, that's their sensor, shooting at that will cause the drones to "fold up" for a few seconds. Also, when you start shooting at drones you'll see vulnerable areas which IIRC are this simmering light blue, try to direct your fire there.

Obviously you can't really aim well if you are being chased and blasted by drones. The best approach is to be above them on a hill or cliff or building so they can't chase you. Take some pot shots at them till they start zeroing in on you, then fall back. They will continue to shoot at your last location. Then repeat. Best weapons are LMGs or SNR and don't forget to remove the suppressor from the SNR, it lessens the damage if installed. Rocket launchers are useful but you can get hammered between shots, so I wouldn't count on them.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

jztemple2 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:06 pm
Yeah, having the resistance allies activated can be a pain since they shoot at any helos they see, which can get your little group involved. I'm not sure how to deactivate the resistance allies, but I assume at the end of the Live Event they go away.
You can switch the rebels off from the event missions screen in the objectives board.
Enlarge Image
Time and tide melt the snowman.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.
-- The Doctor

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Thanks I missed that :dance: . And having the resistance guys off doesn't take away their Strike Designator gadget, which is a fun tool :D. I wonder if it will stay around after the Live Event?