City of Heroes/Villains Lives!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Cylus Maxii

City of Heroes/Villains Lives!

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Branch topic from the "Anyone Still Play City of Heroes/Villains? thread.

FYI - COH lives.

They have expanded from one.. to two.. to four.. and now (as of last night) five private servers and are apparently in negotiation with the owners of the intellectual property to make it legit. I got on this last weekend.

Old characters do not exist. Reboots happen from time to time to apply fixes. They broadcast warnings in advance. All of the archetypes are unlocked, as are the VIP rewards, for all accounts. Prestige for super groups seems to be a non-thing and you can build what you want as a base. Also, all costume slots appear to be unlocked from the start. Note that old plugins like the vidiot maps will not work.

I recreated a couple of my toons on the Torchbearer server. They are level 18 and 20 now. For the most part, its been stable and fun. Under heavy load there are occasional map server time outs just like when it was live. Also, the movement AI for pets is still a little squirrely.

They have opened it to everybody. If you want to play - go to score.savecoh.com and follow the instructions to create an account and setup the tequila launcher they use.

Its free. Its been a blast and the nostalgia has not disappointed. I'm happy, happy, happy.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Cylus Maxii

Re: City of Heroes/Villains Lives!

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Note - it does not support 4K; I have a friend that tried. My 1440p works fine.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'll be trying to get this running tonight. I'm hoping I can entice at least one of my kids to try it with me.

When I played, I always went solo and loved my Robotics/Dark Mastermind. I'll have to test out the 'squirrely' minion AI. It was never great when I played, so it might just seem off by today's standards?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Paingod wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:58 pm I'll be trying to get this running tonight. I'm hoping I can entice at least one of my kids to try it with me.

When I played, I always went solo and loved my Robotics/Dark Mastermind. I'll have to test out the 'squirrely' minion AI. It was never great when I played, so it might just seem off by today's standards?
It seems unchanged. Its just something I noticed playing my Ninjas/Dark MM. I have a few friends playing and I think my son is going to join. There are lots of people on all of the time. We are the Incorrigibles SG on Torchbearer right now. But we might start toons on a new server if the load is lower. Queue times are still pretty low right now. Maybe 5-10 minutes right after a reboot. Less if server has been up for awhile.

If you want to meet up on Torchbearer server, my main is ElectroGenX.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I am so effing in!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

OK, I need to get into this.

Loved this game.
Wished quite a bit I could have played it with my kids.

(I'll never find my old builds!)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Am I about to play CoH with my two kids!? wow.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

(man, I wish I could remember all my builds!)
and everything I used to know.... MAN - I am going to need to relearn!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

OK, this is fun. I'm entirely lost.... heh
forget soooo much
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Hmm, I can't seem to log in. I created the account on the forums and can log in there, but the client says the username or password is incorrect. :/
morlac

Post by morlac »

Unagi wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:28 pm Am I about to play CoH with my two kids!? wow.
Except one kid. I am so excited!!!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

This is so fun. Have I mentioned how clueless I suddenly am?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

gbasden wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:28 pm Hmm, I can't seem to log in. I created the account on the forums and can log in there, but the client says the username or password is incorrect. :/
There are two steps.

1) create a forum account https://score.savecoh.com/index.php?action=register
2) create a game account https://score.savecoh.com/account/

I think you only did step 1
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

A few observations...

1. Character Creation is a little unlike it was (from my memory). For instance, instead of making a Scrapper, and then picking Dual Blades, and Regen... I first selected Melee... and Scrapper wasn't ever really mentioned... as I could have been the Villian version. (spacing on it's name)…. Actually - looks like you can build a controller but then take the Plant power, which IIRC was a Villain power... interesting.

2. It looks like there were 'villain' builds running around Atlas Park. and LFG announcement were clear to say if there were in the Blue or Red world... (so it sounds like the Global Chat is universal...) I also suspect one could go from one world to the other?

3. There are tons of high level players already. Funny. I imagine this has been going for a while now.

4. Man I wish I could recall all my old builds and just get back all of my old knowledge. I KNEW STUFF... Now I'm all like "Oh yeah, there are slots..." LOL

5. I'm afraid of blowing my Travel Power. I think this scrapper build I had was all 'Speed', but I swear should could jump quite a bit too.... hmmm.
Last edited by Unagi on Wed May 08, 2019 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Man, Drumfire and Due Process could be back in the land of the living after... 15 years? Maybe, if I weren't so damned busy right now.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Welcome back... Muhahaha
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Unagi wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:57 pm
gbasden wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:28 pm Hmm, I can't seem to log in. I created the account on the forums and can log in there, but the client says the username or password is incorrect. :/
There are two steps.

1) create a forum account https://score.savecoh.com/index.php?action=register
2) create a game account https://score.savecoh.com/account/

I think you only did step 1
That was it. Thanks!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I've signed up and made an account for my oldest kid who expressed a passing interest. I landed on Indomitable because of server load.

So far I've recreated two of my old characters and might make a few more. It is exactly the same game as far as I've seen, though some of the early missions I'm being put through are a little unfamiliar.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Paingod wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:45 am I've signed up and made an account for my oldest kid who expressed a passing interest. I landed on Indomitable because of server load.

So far I've recreated two of my old characters and might make a few more. It is exactly the same game as far as I've seen, though some of the early missions I'm being put through are a little unfamiliar.
I agree (some odd unfamiliar parts). I don't think I had ever seen 'Twinshot' (I think that was her name) - where she has you meet her group of super heroes.

Also, I don't remember the Power Pool called 'sorcery'.... It has Flight as a travel power, but it has a great Ranged Magic shot as it's 'hover'... I am pretty sure that power-set was Not in the game when I played and I am pretty sure I played very nearly to the bitter end.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:28 pm FYI - COH lives.
I just want to deeply thank you for calling this to my attention.
So much fun just running around Atlas Park all night... stayed up way too late.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Unagi wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:13 am
Cylus Maxii wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:28 pm FYI - COH lives.
I just want to deeply thank you for calling this to my attention.
So much fun just running around Atlas Park all night... stayed up way too late.
I also stayed up way too late! And you're welcome!
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Note that this game is now called City of Heroes: Homecoming, and they have done 7 years of additional development. My notes thus far:

1. At some point they decided to unlock all archetypes and power sets from the the get-go and to make them available to both sides. I also note that the fitness power set is given out for free. There are multiple changes in the pre-requisites and it seems that, for the most part, the pool power sets are more open. They have also unlocked a lot of costume parts. I have not fully explored the changes since I have re-created my favorites from back in the day.

2. There are some mission strings that I think are new, like Twinshot. But I may be wrong. I assume that the tailor missions are gone since costume slots are unlocked from the start. But the changes all seem good so far. I haven't tried a task force yet.

3. I noticed, last night, that you can change the difficulty settings from the emote dialog (speech bubble icon next to the chat input line) and you don't have to go to a field analyst. Maybe that was a legacy feature that I forgot.

4. You can change your costume from any level trainer. A visit to the tailor is not required.

5. Training vendors carry dual-origin enhancements and don't seem to be level-limited for the zone they are in. It may be that all stores carry all enhancement types now. I will have to experiment further.

6. The mail system doesn't seem to work. I tried to transfer some influence last night and it erred that it had to send to a Global account if it had any attachment (it already was). I assume anything that required the old account servers will have some differences. I'm sure that's why the game requires separate logins for the web site and the game.

7. As previously mentioned, Prestige for Super Groups is not tracked. As far as I can tell, there is no advantage for running in SG mode other than style. I haven't messed with it much, but it looks like the Base builder is fully unlocked and you can sandbox build anything you want. So feel free to make your secret lairs! I have not tried using "/altinvite <name>" to add an alt to a private/solo SG. Hopefully it still works for those of you who like to solo.

8. FWIW, the leveling seems a bit faster, but maybe that is due to VIP buffs. I have set my difficulty to base and been trying not to out-level the content.

9. Groups seem highly effective and are way better than I remember. This is probably due to most of the players coming from the previous die-hard core population and being VERY experienced with the game! Its been a blast.

10. The nice thing about having some high-level toons around is that the auction house is very lucrative. If you get a rare salvage, you can get 800K plus and fund your level 20 characters enhancement habit.

11. I had at least 1 respect for free. I respec'd my level 21 blaster build, last night, and had not yet run any Terra Volta trials. (First TV opens at level 24, or at least it used to).
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

HOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHITI'MLOGGINGONTONIGHTPLEASEINVITEMETOSG!!!!!!
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

So, at Level 4 - I am offered to not just get Hover, buy I could just take Fly right now?

Is that broke? it seems weird, but I don't wanna pass it up either.

Last night, I didn't even notice it was 'green' and available to be taken... I just assumed I needed one power in the pool before the biggie.
Last edited by Unagi on Thu May 09, 2019 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Hyena wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:22 pm HOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHITI'MLOGGINGONTONIGHTPLEASEINVITEMETOSG!!!!!!
I don't think we have a SG yet. We should totally make an Octopus Overlords group.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Unagi wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:23 pm
Hyena wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:22 pm HOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHITI'MLOGGINGONTONIGHTPLEASEINVITEMETOSG!!!!!!
I don't think we have a SG yet. We should totally make an Octopus Overlords group.
Which server?
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Unagi wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:22 pm So, at Level 4 - I am offered to not just get Hover, buy I could just take Fly right now?

Is that broke? it seems weird, but I don't wanna pass it up either.

Last night, I didn't even notice it was 'green' and available to be taken... I just assumed I needed one power in the pool before the biggie.
See note #1, above, about the pool powers having more open structure and less prerequisites (i.e. other powers in the pool). So yes, you can get a travel power at level 4/5
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Be sure to visit the P2W vendor in Atlas Park to pick out all of your veteran/VIP awards.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Does the VIP stuff include everything from the second expansion pack, where you could get the bonus semi-travel power? It was a mix of superspeed and leaping, I think. It was an account-based power if you bought that expansion.

One of my other favorite things was the crafting of enhancements. Is that still in? Like the ones that never faded, just were much lower in power than the upper level ones?

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just a false positive, right? From the official forums:
Hey all just a PSA.

When I executed "tequila.exe," I was informed of a virus/malware install called "EK-Trickbot-malspam." This particular threat is very dangerous.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I haven't had any alerts from ESET, Windows Defender or Norton AV.

Yes, the VIP stuff includes the pseudo-travel powers like the Ninja Run.

Yes, you can still craft enhancements. And there are still Enhancement Sets.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Hyena wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:28 pm
Unagi wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:23 pm
Which server?
I followed Cylus Maxii's server he listed - Torchbearer.

It's a busy server though. Looks like the Halcyon server is the least taxed currently.

in fact, Torchbearer is seemingly down to me right now, so I will probably go make my characters on Halcyon (as well) soon.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Gotcha. Downloading Tequila now, should be on later tonight after kiddos go down.

morlac

Post by morlac »

Rolling Halycon.
Tao

Post by Tao »

installed and created character 1 of 100 on Torchbearer. I attempted to set the resolution to my monitors native res (3840x2160) and it skewed the display very badly and I am no longer able to get to the options menu. :grund: I really do not want to have to re-install.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
morlac

Post by morlac »

morlac wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:46 pm Rolling Halycon.
Nor Easter is reborn!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Tao wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:44 pm installed and created character 1 of 100 on Torchbearer. I attempted to set the resolution to my monitors native res (3840x2160) and it skewed the display very badly and I am no longer able to get to the options menu. :grund: I really do not want to have to re-install.
Cylus Maxii wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:37 pm Note - it does not support 4K; I have a friend that tried. My 1440p works fine.
may be the issue there
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Unagi wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:02 pm
Tao wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:44 pm installed and created character 1 of 100 on Torchbearer. I attempted to set the resolution to my monitors native res (3840x2160) and it skewed the display very badly and I am no longer able to get to the options menu. :grund: I really do not want to have to re-install.
Cylus Maxii wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:37 pm Note - it does not support 4K; I have a friend that tried. My 1440p works fine.
may be the issue there
Probably.. that sounds like what happened when my friend tried 4K.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:51 pm
Unagi wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:02 pm
may be the issue there
Probably.. that sounds like what happened when my friend tried 4K.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Found a work around for the resolution issue on the inter-webs; by changing the compatibility/DPI settings of the Score.exe file I was able to launch the game at the higher res and everything was where it was supposed to be. Unfortunately UI was too tiny for my old eyes so I bumped the settings up a notch and things look good now.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez