City of Heroes/Villains Lives!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jaymann

Re: City of Heroes/Villains Lives!

Post by Jaymann »

I logged in and rolled a regen Mandalorian with a beam rifle and a jet pack.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:53 pm I logged in and rolled a regen Mandalorian with a beam rifle and a jet pack.
Every time you get a rescue mission now, when you grab the NPC to follow you, you need to declare "This is the way"
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Aargh! I have re-installed CoX and am looking at another alt! I don't need another time sink but I keep thinking over new power combinations I want to try.
Tao

Post by Tao »

I have a small group of friends still playing on Everlasting, My handle is @Cold-Fusion is you ever want to run some group missions
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Tao wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:17 am I have a small group of friends still playing on Everlasting, My handle is @Cold-Fusion is you ever want to run some group missions
Ooh...I have a ton of alts over on Reunion...do they have server transfers still?
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just curious. Is the original post about how to make this work the most recent way?

Could someone just repost new how to play this and what ya need?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

The installation instructions are at https://forums.homecomingservers.com/in ... ion-guide/

I installed CoH on a mac right after they brought Homecoming to the public. The installation did not go well. On the other hand it was easy earlier this week on a windows machine. I'm whatever comes below a newb! I never played when it was online for real. So while I appreciate the though I doubt I'm going to team up with anyone right now until I can get a better feel for the game by messing around at my own pace. I'm on Reunion right now with 7 or so low level alts.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thank you.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Madmarcus wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:44 pmmessing around at my own pace
My favorite "my pace" builds were always either Masterminds or Tanks. My favorite combo of all time was a Dark/Robotics Mastermind.
Black Lives Matter

Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I've never gotten into pet builds in any game so I've avoided Mastermind. I tend to default to Brute instead of Tank in CoH. In other games I'm happy with slow but almost unkillable play but in CoH I get bored unless I can kill reasonably fast. I should start a Mastermind just to carry on my theme of heroes name from Devo songs. Mr. Kamikazi, Mr. DNA, Jocko Homo (deleted), and Spud Boy (also deleted due to a dull costume). A robot Mastermind named Devo! with the tag line "Are we not men?" would be great. No power helmets though. I haven't made Cowboy Kim yet but he's also on the list.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Paingod wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:06 am
Madmarcus wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:44 pmmessing around at my own pace
My favorite "my pace" builds were always either Masterminds or Tanks. My favorite combo of all time was a Dark/Robotics Mastermind.
That was my last character before they closed. had a lot of fun with him except the upgrading of robots. Doing one at a time was tiresome.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:09 pmHad a lot of fun with him except the upgrading of robots. Doing one at a time was tiresome.
I think the Homecoming server actually fixed that. I'm 95% sure that when I fired up a Dark/Robot MM, all I had to do was cast my Bot buffs once.
Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So you download tequila and it downloads the game? Or do you need to own the game or what?
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Download Tequila and it will download the game. Then hit Play.

As I said I played some when they first opened up Homecoming. Somehow I can't get back into the flow of playing my old alts. I guess my fingers have forgotten the rhythm of their rotation but I keep ending up in the hospital. I suppose I need to go find some slightly lower level random street stuff and just grind to pay off my debt and get back into their rotation. Or just make more alts!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Alts are always the right answers.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'm intrigued by the concept of building my own server with this, too. At least one of the kids has expressed interest in playing and it'd be fun to have a place for us to just romp in without having to worry about random interlopers... though CoH is well past it's "Best If Used By" date for griefers and trolls. They tend to chase the "New Shiny" instead of hanging out in antique stores.
Black Lives Matter

Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I see all the different ATs. I think about all the possible playstyles. I start another melee alt because I hate feeling squishy.

On the other hand it feels really nice to level a stalker after doing 15 levels on a tank. I like my tank and could see him being a decent character if I really wanted to group but he's so slow at killing.
Tao

Post by Tao »

If your looking for an AT that can take some hits and still do damage try out a Brute, Spines/Fire specifically. I am personally not a big fan of the Brute as I don't enjoy chasing the "rage", I prefer to play more methodically but they are pretty popular and nice to have in a group.

Not sure if it was mentioned recently but there is a vendor near Ms. Liberty named P2W that gives away free abilities, some permanent some temporary. You can get permanent extra attacks to add to your rotation which helps a lot in the lower levels, permanent buffs which also help in the early levels. The big items from P2W is the double XP bonus. It lasts for one hour and you can stack 8 at a time. The downside is you get no cash drops but there are so many ways to get money it's much better to take the double XP. I typically run double XP until level 50.

If you like trying alts then I would also recommend running in DFB (Death From Below) groups. Most servers have groups that run DFB fairly regularly. You can get from level 1 to 16 in less than an hour while buffed with double XP. You can push DFB to about level 20-22 but I typically only run it till about 16 then switch to doing Task Force missions.

COH is extremely solo friendly and while not every AT does well at soloing there are enough that do to keep it fun but if you want to level efficiently you need to group. Running Task Force missions or just 8 player XP missions can net you 8 to 10 levels in just a few hours, and that will stay the case well in to the 40's.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Madmarcus wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:02 am I see all the different ATs. I think about all the possible playstyles. I start another melee alt because I hate feeling squishy.

On the other hand it feels really nice to level a stalker after doing 15 levels on a tank. I like my tank and could see him being a decent character if I really wanted to group but he's so slow at killing.
This is me on so many levels. But tanks? Pshhh...go for a brute. Almost the defense of a tank with the damage of a scrapper? Yeah, that's my jam. My first 50 was an elec/elec brute that had so much energy resistance by the end that Rikti bosses would hit me for single-digit damage with their attacks. Of course, my other resistances were only in the 40-50% range, but more than enough to pop a heal and stay in as the tank. Teleport AoE into a group, have an AoE toggle on, and drop a AoE melee strike...boom. And there are so many other awesome combos, too. Love willpower, even though alpha strikes are hard to take, everything else heals up so quickly it's almost like a regen scrapper.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Madmarcus wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:57 pm Download Tequila and it will download the game. Then hit Play.

As I said I played some when they first opened up Homecoming. Somehow I can't get back into the flow of playing my old alts. I guess my fingers have forgotten the rhythm of their rotation but I keep ending up in the hospital. I suppose I need to go find some slightly lower level random street stuff and just grind to pay off my debt and get back into their rotation. Or just make more alts!
You might be a blaster if... Go to the Hospital is in your attack sequence
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Hyena wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:08 am
This is me on so many levels. But tanks? Pshhh...go for a brute. Almost the defense of a tank with the damage of a scrapper?
I had to at least try a tanker once. I've messed around me a plenty of brutes and scrappers. Oddly enough my current alt is a staff/SR stalker and I'm finding him a blast to play. He might be the one that I keep playing past the mid 20's. On the other hand I said that about my Fire/Temporal Blaster too and she's sitting in the mid twenties because I'm tired of the hospital.
Tao

Post by Tao »

When playing a DPS AT a lot of folks try slotting heavily for Damage, thinking bigger hits mean quicker kills. However it's the misses that will add up and lead to the hospital. Accuracy is your best friend until your in the mid 40's, I try and slot 3 accuracy in any power and try to have a consistent 95% chance to hit up to Red con enemies. Maneuvers and then Tactics should be a staple for DPS AT's as well.

If you switch tabs in the chat window you can see your combat stats, you may be missing too much.

I would also recommend NOT buying enhancements, use the crafting station at the university and use IO's (Invention Origin) enhancements. You don't need the set ones early on, just the standard crafted IO. Accuracy, endurance reduction and recharge should be your bread and butter, although be careful not to go too heavy on recharge or you won't be able to sustain the endurance output. Put a second slot in Stamina and double slot it with endurance modification.

Think i may have mentioned once or twice, run Task Force and group. If you get in a decent group, even a death or two will be trivial due to the amount of XP your are accumulating and don't hesitate to jump in to a high level mission group if they say they are taking any level or send an invite.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Tao wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:31 pm When playing a DPS AT a lot of folks try slotting heavily for Damage, thinking bigger hits mean quicker kills. However it's the misses that will add up and lead to the hospital. Accuracy is your best friend until your in the mid 40's, I try and slot 3 accuracy in any power and try to have a consistent 95% chance to hit up to Red con enemies. Maneuvers and then Tactics should be a staple for DPS AT's as well.

If you switch tabs in the chat window you can see your combat stats, you may be missing too much.

I would also recommend NOT buying enhancements, use the crafting station at the university and use IO's (Invention Origin) enhancements. You don't need the set ones early on, just the standard crafted IO. Accuracy, endurance reduction and recharge should be your bread and butter, although be careful not to go too heavy on recharge or you won't be able to sustain the endurance output. Put a second slot in Stamina and double slot it with endurance modification.

Think i may have mentioned once or twice, run Task Force and group. If you get in a decent group, even a death or two will be trivial due to the amount of XP your are accumulating and don't hesitate to jump in to a high level mission group if they say they are taking any level or send an invite.
You, sir, have played this game before, haven't you? :P

All great advice.

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Tao wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:31 pmThink i may have mentioned once or twice, run Task Force and group. If you get in a decent group, even a death or two will be trivial due to the amount of XP your are accumulating and don't hesitate to jump in to a high level mission group if they say they are taking any level or send an invite.
When I played briefly after re-discovering the game, I jumped into the Sewer Task Force and after a couple hours I emerged at something like level 20, from level 4.

I still have very fond memories of the game, but too many things on my list without enough time to do them all and it hasn't come back up to the top of the list. My oldest kid would likely very much enjoy playing this with me. We just need to get him a computer capable of it.
Black Lives Matter

Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Paingod wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:54 am We just need to get him a computer capable of it.
I'm playing on a Ryzen 3400G with it's integrated Vega 11 graphics (it's an AMD apu). It works fine with the number of people on on the Homecoming serves.

Tao, your advice is good but I don't like TF. I've tried in CoH and in both versions of The Secret World. Gaming is my me time so I'd rather do solo door missions even though I know that it is slower.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

What does it cost to run the Homecoming servers?

About $9475 per month.
Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Now it's official:
City of Heroes was a beloved MMORPG that launched in April 2004 and lasted just over eight years. In that time it won a dedicated community of players who, even after the game died, kept playing the MMO via private servers that existed in a weird legal gray area. But now, the developers behind City of Heroes have given one private server the official thumbs-up to keep on keeping on.

In 2012, the superhero MMO City of Heroes was officially shut down. A lot of people were upset and sad about it. But not everyone stopped playing. In 2019, it became public that a secret, unofficial private server running the game had existed in the years since the game’s death. Following a meltdown of the game’s community, the folks running that server eventually released the game’s code online and some other private servers popped up. But there was always a fear—hence the first private server being kept secret for so long—that developer NCSoft would one day show up and put a stop to all this since the company owned the original code and IP.

But on January 4, the devs behind the unofficial fan-run project Homecoming announced that NCSoft had no plans to kill the most popular City of Heroes private server. Instead, the company did something surprising and provided the devs with an official license to maintain a City of Heroes server.
Seems like maybe a good excuse for me to get started...

I always loved City of Heroes. I want to remember it fondly but I'm afraid if I to and try to play it now I'll ruin my good memories. :)
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:12 pm I always loved City of Heroes. I want to remember it fondly but I'm afraid if I to and try to play it now I'll ruin my good memories. :)
Indeed, the Glasses of Nostalgia often remind me of this classic animation…

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:12 pm Now it's official:
City of Heroes was a beloved MMORPG that launched in April 2004 and lasted just over eight years. In that time it won a dedicated community of players who, even after the game died, kept playing the MMO via private servers that existed in a weird legal gray area. But now, the developers behind City of Heroes have given one private server the official thumbs-up to keep on keeping on.

In 2012, the superhero MMO City of Heroes was officially shut down. A lot of people were upset and sad about it. But not everyone stopped playing. In 2019, it became public that a secret, unofficial private server running the game had existed in the years since the game’s death. Following a meltdown of the game’s community, the folks running that server eventually released the game’s code online and some other private servers popped up. But there was always a fear—hence the first private server being kept secret for so long—that developer NCSoft would one day show up and put a stop to all this since the company owned the original code and IP.

But on January 4, the devs behind the unofficial fan-run project Homecoming announced that NCSoft had no plans to kill the most popular City of Heroes private server. Instead, the company did something surprising and provided the devs with an official license to maintain a City of Heroes server.

I always loved City of Heroes. I want to remember it fondly but I'm afraid if I to and try to play it now I'll ruin my good memories. :)
I've got three account (mine, my 2 kids that I just took over) over on that Homecoming server. I have like 20 level 50 toons I think. Haven't been online in a year or 2 now though

It's all kinds of fun. Still. Maybe more. A ton of stuff going on but still so many people just doing CCs under Atlas.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:57 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:12 pm I always loved City of Heroes. I want to remember it fondly but I'm afraid if I to and try to play it now I'll ruin my good memories. :)
Indeed, the Glasses of Nostalgia often remind me of this classic animation…

Which I just learned trying to play Wizardry 1 remake and realized no map meant TFH
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:12 pm Now it's official:

I started up an account back when I heard it rebooted. It was just as much fun as I remembered. They even have more archetypes and powersets. Haven't been on much this year, what with all the great games to come out, but I WILL be going back again soon.

Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I played on Homecoming during COVID and I might log in again but it is simply too dated to hold my interest for long. It's still nice to see NCSoft make everything clearly legal.

Of course even saying that much led to me reinstalling the game and logging in to all of my alts just in case they wanted to recover names from stale characters.