City of Heroes/Villains Lives!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Hyena

Re: City of Heroes/Villains Lives!

Post by Hyena »

Unagi wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:44 am
Hyena wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:44 am I have a giant bald eagle beast/kinetics mm named Mer'ica that is awesome, and a ninja/something that's a ton of fun, too.
Just an FYI:

I just saw someone with a copy of this toon you describe... but named: Mericaaa (assault rifle/devices blaster) big bald eagle.
description wrote: MEEEEERRRRICA FUCK YEA COME TO SAVE THE MUTHERFUCKING DAAAY AMERICA FUCK YEA FREDOM IS THE ONLY WAAAAY(im not American)
sigh.
Yeah, that's not me. I'm kinda dumb, but that's just...yeah. This game is sacred ground for me, so I wouldn't do crap like that. :mrgreen: :horse:
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

After poking around online today, I've talked myself into trying a Robotics/Traps Mastermind. I've read that the diversity they pack is quite impressive, though they don't do any one thing as well as the other secondaries. They reduce Resist, but only by 20% (Dark and Storm can cut it by 30%). They can Slow enemies, but not as well as others. They have a Force Field, but it's not as good as a FF secondary. Etc, etc etc. Added bonus: The top-tier power in the secondary lets you sacrifice a minion for massive explosive damage. :think:

This'll give me four Masterminds, with three of them being Robotics/*
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Paingod wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:27 pm After poking around online today, I've talked myself into trying a Robotics/Traps Mastermind. I've read that the diversity they pack is quite impressive, though they don't do any one thing as well as the other secondaries. They reduce Resist, but only by 20% (Dark and Storm can cut it by 30%). They can Slow enemies, but not as well as others. They have a Force Field, but it's not as good as a FF secondary. Etc, etc etc. Added bonus: The top-tier power in the secondary lets you sacrifice a minion for massive explosive damage. :think:

This'll give me four Masterminds, with three of them being Robotics/*
I am addicted to MM's as well. Robot/FF is my favorite, but kinetics is quickly gaining. The heal from kinetics is awesome for melee minions, which is why I did beast/kin, because the wolves have no ranged attacks. Plus, stealing power and giving it to your minions, as well as speed boost is a friggin' game changer. Not only it is a borderline travel power, it allows them to really chew through the mobs (no pun intended) quickly when paired with the strength-stealing power. I've barely gotten past level 10 with him, but I really like it.

I also just found out that there's a new kinetics melee set...might need to see what that's all about
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

For a laugh I made "Chris Jenkins" (the attorney on the billboards) with an aura of floating money. His primary power? Street Justice!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
morlac

Post by morlac »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:48 am Someone should make Mercia and see what reactions they get.
Forlicgan gea!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

So I made my Robotics/Traps Mastermind as a robotic beast made from spare parts - organic and inorganic - named "Menacing Mechanism". I liked the Beastial Run animation (from the free "P2W Vendor" person) so much that I wanted to make a Beastial melee fighter. Enter the Stalker "Feral Fission" - Electric/Regen. He's fun so far (level 4, Going Rogue, no DFB), and I love the built-in stealth for skipping all the uneccessary combat in most missions. With my MM's I've relied on Super Speed and/or Stealth toggles (like Steamy Mist) to bypass combat and skip to bosses (it seems to be the only way to not out-level content, and completes missions quicker).

My only qualm so far is that Electric seems to have really long animation times, but I could be imagining it.
Black Lives Matter

GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Paingod wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:51 am
GungHo wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:46 pmobvious trademarked clones
There was a big thing about that when the game launched, but legally it boiled down to the game not being responsible for how people were expressing themselves with costumes or some such. I think almost all of the powers are straight from the original game, and things like a Claws/Regen Scrapper with a yellow jumpsuit and wings on his head were certainly a thing. Somehow they got away with it, so I can't imagine it's a good defense now.

I'm mostly worried about the inevitable Cease & Desist with IP backing and a team of lawyers. I think I've read that the people hosting this server are trying to talk with NCSoft about licensing, but no one knows how that'll pan out. NCSoft might take some free money, or they might yoink the license if someone else comes along and wants to spend more on it.

According to this article, CoH is now hosted on servers in Canada (formerly the Netherlands). They also mention seeding the auction houses with ingredients so things shouldn't ever exceed 10,000 for a common, 100,000 for an uncommon, and 1,000,000 for a rare crafting component. This is apparently an experimental change and may be reverted.

This article mentions that they now have close to 70,000 registered players with up to 8,000 concurrent connections.

According to this Twitter Feed, they're still in talks with NCSoft and don't have any news - good or bad - but the last update was positive.
Thanks for the links.
Unagi wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:40 am
GungHo wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:37 pm
Also found the P2W girl (Thx) and apparently she unlocks the 'Inherent Fitness' pool for free? That's handy.
I beleive that was already unlocked 'for free', before they closed down CoH... It was deemed a required pool or something...
But in any case, the P2W girl didn't unlock it, as it's unlocked even if you play for a week without knowing she exists (that was me).
Ahh ok. Well either way its good to have. Now I'm gonna need Mid's to go back and update their 7 year old app to reflect this. How am I supposed to build my toons with an out of date app? Life just gets harder by the day, I tell you.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
morlac

Post by morlac »

morlac wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:38 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:48 am Someone should make Mercia and see what reactions they get.
Forlicgan gea!
Come on man, nothing? Too obscure?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Once I went looking, I found it.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The latest patch has a new logo and a service agreement (mostly about no minors) you must accept every time. Wonder if they got lawyered up.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Jaymann wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:02 pm The latest patch has a new logo and a service agreement (mostly about no minors) you must accept every time. Wonder if they got lawyered up.
Makes me nervous every time I log in now. Logged in day before yesterday with the tequila launcher and it locked up. Shut down the game and tried again, no dice. I was like, "Well, it was fun while it lasted..." Then I remembered I hadn't shut tequila down the last time I played, so I shut it down, logged in again, and saw it update something then it launched fine.

*whew*

I just got this game back, I cant lose it again so soon!

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Reminds me that I keep intending to hunt down the server-side host files so I can't really lose the game again.

I've been working on a "Going Rogue" Mastermind for a couple of days now and really enjoy the new content flavor. A nice change of pace from the first 1-20 levels as a Hero or Villain. No shortcuts that I've found, either (not that I'm really looking) to get to 20. I'm strictly working missions.

An annoying note - I discovered a contact I can't work with because I completed a prior contacts arc already. They just remove him from the game for me. I was given the contact by another one, but when I get to where he's supposed to be, he's absent. It's Dr. Steffard. Apparently he's broken if you finish the Interrogator Kang Responsibility Arc (from the previous 5 level's contact list). I'm not sure how to get back to him. He's a contact on my list, but not there when I show up to talk to him.

The Mastermind I've been working on is Robotics/Traps - and I'm having a blast with it. Probably more fun than Robotics/Dark or Robotics/Storm - but it may be more because of the theme I'm running than the power sets.

My theme for the character is a conglomeration of dead tissue and robotic parts (Menacing Mechanism, mentioned in last post). He's up to 15th level now. He's a cybernetic animal that wants to take over the world, but only manages to make a few robotic pets instead. I haven't taken any travel powers and rely exclusively on the "Prestige" travel modes - Sprint+Beast Run is my standard movement, with the Jet Pack (30 seconds of flight per use before it shuts off) as my Fly movement. I mistakenly took Combat Jumping early on for added height, but discovered it canceled the Beast Run so I respec'd and dropped it. He uses Stealth to bypass all unwarranted combat and goes straight to the objectives every time.

Robotics/Traps is proving to be brutally effective - more than I would have thought. The Acid Mortar, while having a lower -Resist value (20% instead of Dark or Storms 30%) is something that repeatedly fires off at enemies in range for the duration it's active and never seems to miss. Coupled with Caltrops sending every enemy into a "Fear" run, I've got -Resist patches slashing down everywhere I want them and it doesn't matter where enemies go. The Acid Mortar lasts long enough that I can usually pull a second (or third) group into it's range before it ends. Caltrops refreshes before it ends so I can start overlapping patches for extra fun. My pets all have mostly ranged attacks, so all this splash -Resist & Slow/Fear works beautfully. It's a great synergy and I'm wishing I had done it before. This is a character that can either run right into the thick of it or set up an ambush and lead enemies into it. It's exactly how I like to play.

Park my pets on "aggressive" around a corner, run out and tag a group with my AoE disorient grenade, duck back behind the corner and summon an Acid Mortar, then toss some caltrops out around the corner before enemies can get to me - and it's a meat grinder. All I need to do is sit behind some boxes and sip my tea - or run past the fight and drag another hostile group into it.

I'm more excited about the potential in this character than I have been in any other since rejoining the game.

I'm currently thinking the build will be:
Spoiler:
  • Battle Drones (6 slots)
  • Web Grenade (1 slot)
  • Caltrops (4 slots)
  • Stealth (Concealment Pool) (2 slots)
  • Equip Robot (1 slot)
  • Photon Grenade (5 slots)
  • Acid Mortar (6 slots)
  • Protector Bots (6 slots)
  • Assault (Leadership Pool) (1 slot)
  • Force Field Generator (4 slots)
  • Hasten (Speed Pool) (2 slots)
  • Poison Trap (5 slots)
  • Maneuvers (Leadership Pool) (1 slot)
  • Triage Beacon (5 slots)
  • Assault Bot (6 slots)
  • Seeker Drones (6 slots)
  • Tactics (Leadership Pool) (2 slots)
  • Upgrade Robot (1 slot)
  • Trip Mine (6 slots)
  • Bonfire (Fire Pool) (4 slots)
  • Fireball (Fire Pool) (3 slots)
  • Detonator (6 slots)
  • Vengeance (Leadership Pool) (2 slots)
  • Rise of the Phoenix (Fire Pool) (2 slots)
  • Sprint (2 slots)
  • Health (2 slots)
  • Stamina (3 slots)
The two "Trap" powers cycle pretty fast and last a long time, so I imagine these have a limit of 1 each. I'd be able to heavily mine that pulling corner for even faster carnage. The only shortcoming of this character is limited travel speed. Fully slotted and active, I'd be moving at 37mph. If I had Super Speed (maybe pushing Hasten back to level 49, replacing Rise of the Phoenix), I'd go 90+mph - but I'd lose my "Beastial" run animation. It'd stack with my Stealth, though. At some point I may decide that being true to my theme isn't worth moving slower than any other hero around.
Black Lives Matter

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

There's this absolutely bananas post on Reddit about the game after level 50.

I'm still reading through it, but it looks like once you hit 50 you start a long road of making everything you've acquired up to that point better and stack even more stuff on top of it.
Black Lives Matter

morlac

Post by morlac »

Hyena wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:54 am
Jaymann wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:02 pm The latest patch has a new logo and a service agreement (mostly about no minors) you must accept every time. Wonder if they got lawyered up.
Makes me nervous every time I log in now. Logged in day before yesterday with the tequila launcher and it locked up. Shut down the game and tried again, no dice. I was like, "Well, it was fun while it lasted..." Then I remembered I hadn't shut tequila down the last time I played, so I shut it down, logged in again, and saw it update something then it launched fine.

*whew*

I just got this game back, I cant lose it again so soon!
They just funded another month of server cost in about a hour. $8,000 donated from 302 folks. I am torn on how quickly this is getting funded every month.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

morlac wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:22 amThey just funded another month of server cost in about a hour. $8,000 donated from 302 folks. I am torn on how quickly this is getting funded every month.
Not bad for a game with 70,000 players and no appreciable wait time (if you're counting the 45 seconds it takes to get to character select, you're a Grinch). Each of those 302 people had to chip in less than $27. If they could get NCSoft to license this, they'd probably have to ask for $5 per month from everyone. $8000 for the server. $7000 for the licensee. $335,000 for NCSoft. I'd pay up a year in advance.
Black Lives Matter

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I have it on good authority (Chris Jenkins) that those lawyers cost a pretty penny.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Read a more recent article stating that they're up to 91,000 players... but also starting to suffer from being in the public eye as they get attacked on and offline, including being SWAT'ted. People suck.
Black Lives Matter

Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Paingod wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:47 am Read a more recent article stating that they're up to 91,000 players... but also starting to suffer from being in the public eye as they get attacked on and offline, including being SWAT'ted. People suck.
Why on earth would people want to take this down? I'll never understand the need for miserable people to take away other people's happiness. I was having this conversation on a GREAT pickup team last night running in AE, and we have been so amazed at the community of the game. Everyone is so helpful, and always were in the previous game. I don't think I've ever seen, not ONCE some asshole response to an honest question, I've never seen a flame war pop up on the broadcast channel. I'm sure there were some back in the day, but nothing on par with Barrens chat from WoW or anything even close. I remember people used to get pissed within a group if the tank didn't know how to tank, or the healer didn't spam heals quick enough, etc. but it never spilled over into chat enough for me to remember it.

So why on earth would people WANT to hurt this game? I know, I know, some people just want to watch the world burn and all that, but still...so frustrating.

Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

1. Some people can't tolerate to see others having fun.
2. Some people can't tolerate people enjoying something that was before their time and that they just don't get. (nostalgia) Its like FOMO, but its a done deal that they missed it the first time.
3. Some people are anti-fanboy on general principles. (Nay-sayers)
4. Some people are shitlords.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Hyena wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 amSo why on earth would people WANT to hurt this game? I know, I know, some people just want to watch the world burn and all that, but still...so frustrating.
If anyone ever solves this problem, we could probably eliminate all war and hostility across the planet. I really wish I knew.

My Robotics/Traps MM is up to level 20 now. He's still chugging through the Going Rogue content. It might still be my favorite MM build yet. I've run in to some issues, but I think these are due to the Going Rogue missions and not my build. In some missions enemies are spawning and running right past my pets to attack me directly. I died four times last night because a mission kept spawning orange bosses that ignored my pets completely. As long as hostiles aren't rushing me directly, I can juggle a dozen even-con minion enemies without much risk.

I am ... underwhelmed by the Poison Trap, though. I might need to change how I'm using it. It takes a long time to activate after tripped. I need to basically set it up just past my Caltrops zone so enemies I drag into my kill box trigger it then hit the Caltrops and slow down enough to remain in the area of effect. If I don't, they run right past without issue.

I did break down and acquire Super Speed. It's nice to have a double-stealth pile to rush through missions with... but I miss running like an animal and revert to it when I'm done running and start fighting.
Black Lives Matter

morlac

Post by morlac »

Paingod wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:47 am Read a more recent article stating that they're up to 91,000 players... but also starting to suffer from being in the public eye as they get attacked on and offline, including being SWAT'ted. People suck.
That was Reddit's server that got hacked and their team, not Homecoming servers. Also, swatting incident not really related:

Update here: We’ve now been in contact with the alleged swatting victim, who says he wasn’t swatted; this appears to have been a misunderstanding over an incident unrelated to City of Heroes, so we’re amending our title accordingly.

Per the Homecoming team....

"We asked the Homecoming team whether there have been any recent attacks on their servers; a representative told us, “Our security setup is very robust. As with any publicly accessible service it is, of course, being hammered from many sources, but as of yet nobody has had any success getting through. As for harassment: There’s a reason most of the Homecoming Team is anonymous.”"

Good article read nonetheless. More interesting tidbits...

Legal issues:
The Homecoming team posted a statement this weekend addressing the claim that the team has been unwilling to aid other teams in setting up their own servers.” Homecoming says it has in fact provided advice and support to likeminded groups, but it is very specifically not sharing “any code that’s based off of the original City of Heroes source code.” And it believes it has a good reason:

“The reason for that is pretty simple: The only legal action NCSoft has taken in relation to City of Heroes’ return is a DMCA claim against the original upload of the i25 binaries (which, for the record, did not come from us). They haven’t touched any of the servers. The conclusion we’ve drawn from this is that at least for the moment, NCSoft do not mind the servers being up, but they do mind code (and other files) being shared. And if we now refer back to our prime directive: Sharing code could have put us, and the Homecoming servers, in the (legal) firing line. Obviously, we did not want this to happen, and so we opted to not directly share any code based off the original source, and instead just provide advice.”

But people still generally suck.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

morlac wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:42 pmThat was Reddit's server that got hacked and their team, not Homecoming servers.
That makes me feel a touch better. I need to read articles instead of skimming them for relevant key words... :oops:
Black Lives Matter

morlac

Post by morlac »

Paingod wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:55 am
morlac wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:42 pmThat was Reddit's server that got hacked and their team, not Homecoming servers.
That makes me feel a touch better. I need to read articles instead of skimming them for relevant key words... :oops:
Yep, no worries I do that all the time. Just an FYI but yesterday when I read that article there were only 66 players on the Reddit server but 600-1000 on the Homecoming ones. Roughly 4000 players online around 3 pm est for a game that died years ago. Right now there is 5,600. Crazy!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Yeah - NCSoft really screwed the pooch by killing CoX. Even if they stopped almost all development except bug patching, it would have remained a profitable property to this day. It just wasn't making "enough" money for them to want to keep it going. It's simply the best MMO I've ever played, game play, mechanics, and overall fun.
Black Lives Matter

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I forgot how sweet Kinetics is. I rolled a Corrupter with Assault Rifle/Kin (I can't believe I got the name Wolfenstein - possibly the EU server is slower to grab American culture names). I am essentially keeping Repel on always. I can own red bosses one on one since Repel never misses and they can rarely lay a glove on me.

I also came up with one of the sweetest concepts in the years I have been playing CoH. I give you the Sterling Surfer (an energy/energy blaster):

The rocket board cost a cool 1 mil influence from the pay to win vendor, but it is as good as fly (except no using other powers while it is on) and it saves you from having to select a travel power.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Tao

Post by Tao »

Very disillusioned at the moment. :( I slogged my way through to level 22 on my mastermind without buying any enhancements. My plan was to craft level 25 common IO's at 22 and so I saved all my influence, which at 22 comes to about $225,000. Not a great amount in the grand scale of things. I just learned however, that IO recipes are consumable so now the $35,000 cost to craft an IO jumped to $52,000, plus all the necessary salvage. I checked the auction house and have tried bidding at twice the last sale price and still have not won any bids. Guess I can try triple or x4 on some bids. :(
Or I guess it's back to DO or SO's and playing the refresh game every few levels. Not sure why I don't recall having this level of frustration when I played the original. I am now also at a point where +1 level mobs are doing 250-300 damage in a single hit, and regularly one-shotting my robots.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Tao wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:46 pmVery disillusioned at the moment...
I came up with a new financial plan for my last character after I accidentally chose the wrong "buff" power from the P2W Vendor. One of the things you're allowed to select at Level 1 is one of three things, each on a 20 minute timer. A random buff, a different buff, or 3 random Inspirations. I accidentally chose the three Inspirations, and it turned out to be a great way to make money early on.

Every 20 minutes I get 3 random Tier 2 or Tier 3 Inspirations. I keep the power on auto and have 3 slots open for them at all times "just in case" it pops while I'm fighting and don't notice it's coming. As soon as I get them, I turn around and sell them on the Auction House at the next opportunity (as soon as I step out of my current mission and onto the street). Accessing the Auction House (Black Market) is as hard as typing in /ah ... then you drag those inspirations up and drop them in the Auction Window to sell them.

Tier 3 Rez, Heal, Damage, Defense, and Endurance are the best money-makers, with each easily selling for 35,000 to 50,000 in the course of a day. I once encountered someone buying up Tier 3 Heals for 200,000 - they cleaned out the market, and I had 2 to sell. Tier 2 Inspirations can sell for anywhere from 500 to 20,000 (with Defense being the most expensive, typically).

By doing this, I was left with around 800,000 after I slotted myself with Level 25 IO's.

If you haven't visited the P2W vendor to select some free abilities, it's never too late to start selling these things. If you have, then it may be worth it in the long long run to spend 1,000,000 to buy the Inspiration ability. Worst case scenario, your next Alts select this going forward. I'll take 1,000,000 influence before level 23 over random buffs every 20 minutes.

A secondary note on IO's - it's often cheaper to buy them on the market. A lot of people seem to make them and dump them. You might be able to cobble together a Level 25 Damage IO for 50,000 influence by buying all the parts yourself - or maybe grab one on the market for 25,000 to 30,000.

If you're using "Set" enhancers... In Homecoming, these are all pooled together in the market. If you pick up a level 24 Rare recipe, when you put it on the Auction House market, a level 50 can buy it as a level 50 recipe for them. If you check across a wide array of levels, you'll notice the prices and quantity available for these are identical. Some folks say this is a good way to "Refresh" their sets as they level with them.
  • Do a /Respec. You get these every 10 levels or with certain Trials or Events (I think).
  • Move all of your special/set enhancers to your inventory so they don't get dumped and don't slot anything.
  • If you're using them, leave SO's where they are so they get dumped and refunded the full vendor purchase price; don't move them.
  • Standard IO's are not pooled, but they can be sold on the market and not just automatically recycled for spare change.
  • Visit the market and buy a new, properly leveled copy of your Enhancers for a fair price
  • Sell your old under-powered enhancers into the market for whatever you just paid and leave it there for someone else to grab.
  • The only loss is the listing fee.
Tao wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:46 pmOr I guess it's back to DO or SO's and playing the refresh game every few levels. Not sure why I don't recall having this level of frustration when I played the original. I am now also at a point where +1 level mobs are doing 250-300 damage in a single hit, and regularly one-shotting my robots.
Masterminds suffer from power slumps just before each pet is added. Level 22 is probably the most notable because it lasts longer than previous slumps, numerically. It just takes longer to get to Level 24. By level 26 you get your last pet and there's no more slumping.

It's rare for enemies to 1-shot my robots. Typically it's 5th Column or Tsoo bosses that can pull this off, and generally with melee attacks. Both have nasty roundhouse kicks that can smear a Tier 1 robot across the floor. The only good counter I've found is to be wary of these bosses and keep them as far from my pets as I can by either knocking the boss around or moving my pets away from them after I slow them down somehow. This is a good case for slotting the Tier 1 robots with Recharge/Acc/Acc/Dmg/Dmg/Dmg IO's. Then you should be able to resummon all three before the first three die.

I also did some testing with Protector Bots and shields. Each bot throws down shields that add 10% base Defense to all attacks. Two bots (level 24) means 20% defense. Slotting 50% +Defense nets around 0.95% Defense per shield, or about 1.9% Defense for both (plus 20% base). Defense enhancers have a very small return - but I think it's worth it in the long run. I typically slot my Protectors with Acc/Dmg/Heal/Def/Def/Def - their attacks are less important to me than the Tier 1 bots. If you're using the Mid's Hero Planner app to look at Defense enhancers, the numbers there don't correlate with Homecoming. In Mid's, +50% Def adds 5% to a 10% Defense ability. In Homecoming, I think they rebalanced it to make it harder to get to the Defense caps.
Black Lives Matter

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

You may want to consider rolling a stalker. My level 40 with "only" full SO's can regularly one shot purple minions and a couple shots for lieutenants. He has over 4 mil in influence.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
morlac

Post by morlac »

I was never one to go all Min Maxey with COH. It definitely use to be somewhat critical at higher levels doing hard missions/Task forces, particularly with some builds. However, with the Homecoming house rules and all the power unlocks you start at level 1 with it seems completely unnecessary now. I get the appeal of being all you can be but I wouldn't let it spoil my fun.

edit to Add: Hmm Min Maxey.....I may have just came up with a new Hero :)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Minnie the Maxer.

Hi-dee hi-dee hi-dee hi
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Thanks Paingod for the tip on Internal Inspirations. I was hoarding them for major battles, now I pop them like candy. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:14 pmYou may want to consider rolling a stalker. My level 40 with "only" full SO's can regularly one shot purple minions and a couple shots for lieutenants. He has over 4 mil in influence.
Stalkers specialize in singular big hits, if I'm not mistaken. I've tried them, but still prefer my Masterminds. :D
Black Lives Matter

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Ha ha, I teamed with someone named Min-Max on Reunion. I asked if they were from OO and they said, "What's OO?"
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So is this still up / legal? Hows the fun lvl compared to original days? Was thinking of trying DC Universe Online. I just dont really want to play games I once played. Need a new MMO.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:47 pm So is this still up / legal? Hows the fun lvl compared to original days? Was thinking of trying DC Universe Online. I just dont really want to play games I once played. Need a new MMO.
Still going strong and apparently legal. A very active and friendly community. In many ways more fun than the original days since they took all the "pay to win" content and made it free. User friendly, four examples: 1) In missions where it says "two bombs to be defused at the same time" you can do them solo, one at a time. 2) You can make your own super base with all the enhancements for free. 3) Travel powers available at level 4. 4) You can send influence to your own characters via email to your global handle.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
morlac

Post by morlac »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:47 pm So is this still up / legal? Hows the fun lvl compared to original days? Was thinking of trying DC Universe Online. I just dont really want to play games I once played. Need a new MMO.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:50 am
Still going strong and apparently legal. A very active and friendly community. In many ways more fun than the original days since they took all the "pay to win" content and made it free. User friendly, four examples: 1) In missions where it says "two bombs to be defused at the same time" you can do them solo, one at a time. 2) You can make your own super base with all the enhancements for free. 3) Travel powers available at level 4. 4) You can send influence to your own characters via email to your global handle.
On top of that, there's a ton of new costume and power sets that were expansion pack only, as well as power set combinations and even a new archetype (Sentinel) that combines blaster offense with scrapper/brute/tank defenses.

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

A little Homecoming update:
We know things have been really quiet from us lately, and we wanted to provide an update on what we've been up to.

Homecoming and The Titan Network are working together and are in active negotiations with NCSoft in order to turn Homecoming into a legitimate operation, and we've been making significant strides in recent weeks. It's our intention to involve the entire community in this process when the time comes - which is not quite yet, but we'll certainly be shouting from the rooftops when it is - hopefully soon™.

Please hang tight for the time being, and keep killing those Skuls.
Still not full legit, but also not shot down in a dark alley.
Black Lives Matter

Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Man I hope they continue this. I hit my first 50 last night and did a Hami raid this morning. I have WAAAAY too many alts, thus the lack of 50's, but damn I'm enjoying this game again.

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

The next step by NCSoft: Trademark Applications

The objective is vague, but the article assumes it means one of three things: 1) They're just protecting the IP. 2) This is a step to getting lawyers ready to shut down the public servers. 3) NCSoft may have plans to start a new line of CoH. The objective is anyone's guess, but I'm hoping it's not (2) because they've been playing really nicely with the fan servers so far.
Black Lives Matter