Lightfish. It's Qix with fish.

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Hipolito

Lightfish. It's Qix with fish.

Post by Hipolito »

The recent Steam Spring Cleaning event got me to try a game in my library I knew nothing about: Lightfish. I was happily surprised that it was a reimagining of the 80s arcade classic Qix.

Qix is an Etch-a-Sketch toy that's been invaded by Shodan. You have to draw shapes with your cursor and block off 75% of the level. You die if an enemy touches your cursor or the line you're currently drawing. (Here's an arcade collector's video in case you want a visual.)

Lightfish adds an underwater theme and looks like Flow. While Qix has only 2 enemy types, Lightfish has lots more, plus barriers and large, scrolling levels. There are two modes: Adventure and Time Trial. In Time Trial, you have to beat the level within a fairly tight time limit. Adventure is the same but without the time limit, so it's a lot less challenging.

With its cute look and cheerful music, Lightfish doesn't have Qix's menacing technological theme. It also doesn't seem possible to use some of the more advanced Qix strategies, like making Sparx traps or winning with 99% coverage. But it's pretty addictive and fun, and with only 45 levels, it doesn't wear out its welcome.
ColdSteel

Re: Lightfish. It's Qix with fish.

Post by ColdSteel »

I burned a lot of quarters on Qix back in the day. That and Crazy Climber. And Missile Command. A *lot* of quarters. I'll have to check it it.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review