Co-ops for Coop'n'Son

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: Co-ops for Coop'n'Son

Post by coopasonic »

I play with my 13 yo. I would probably be ok playing it with the 9yo but he hasn't shown any interest. If he starts using the language he loses the game.

Both of my kids know all of the words and they both know they are off limits. I think it helps that neither my wife or I swear much. I do sometimes, but is pretty uncommon and I correct myself when it slips out. it's a shame all that Army training is going to waste, but what can you do?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

Going to bump this great thread that coop started. The holidays brings all of my teenagers back under one roof for a brief period and our evenings are usually spent on multiplayer games on our LAN.

I will also note that we did have to swap out our favorite communication method for decades (the venerable Ventrilo) due to a recent change they did (have no idea how they borked are old server but they did it without us upgrading) and we are now using the equally venerable Mumble.

That said, here are the current ones we are into - but we are looking for a few new ones if folks have suggestions as to what they are enjoying.

Empyrion
7 Days to Die (this one never gets old)
Unreal Tournament (GOG version)
TF2
Ark
Conan Exiles

We would add Fallout 76 in a heartbeat, but won't until we can host our own servers.

Any thoughts on Raft? Price is right with the Steam sale since I have to buy 4 keys.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Tampa_Gamer wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:38 pm Going to bump this great thread that coop started. The holidays brings all of my teenagers back under one roof for a brief period and our evenings are usually spent on multiplayer games on our LAN.

I will also note that we did have to swap out our favorite communication method for decades (the venerable Ventrilo) due to a recent change they did (have no idea how they borked are old server but they did it without us upgrading) and we are now using the equally venerable Mumble.

That said, here are the current ones we are into - but we are looking for a few new ones if folks have suggestions as to what they are enjoying.

Empyrion
7 Days to Die (this one never gets old)
Unreal Tournament (GOG version)
TF2
Ark
Conan Exiles

We would add Fallout 76 in a heartbeat, but won't until we can host our own servers.

Any thoughts on Raft? Price is right with the Steam sale since I have to buy 4 keys.
My son and I (with my younger one joining to add some chaos here and there) played through the available content for Raft a few weeks back and had a lot of fun with it. Since it is mostly a doo all the things kind of game, having more people on the raft makes it much easier to get all the things done. The only downside is that there is fairly limited content currently available. More is coming.

We had a fairly similar experience with Craftopia, which is more like Zelda: BotW the Survival game and more combat oriented than Raft but again it's not done.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Has anyone suggested Stardew Valley? It has local co-op, and I'd think it would be a perfect game for a father and son.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Rumpy wrote:Has anyone suggested Stardew Valley? It has local co-op, and I'd think it would be a perfect game for a father and son.
My family loves multiplayer Stardew Valley. Can recommend.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Montag

Post by Montag »

Helldivers is fun and supports cross platform play - was one of the earliest games that did.

words
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Boomerang Fu is a great casual couch co-op/couch PVP game. Surprising depth.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Montag wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:25 pm Helldivers is fun and supports cross platform play - was one of the earliest games that did.
Me and a buddy played it online .Was fun.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Helldivers is an underrated gem. It's insanely fun, often funny, has a great progression system, etc. It's perfect for co-op. It's also one of the few games that make really good use of the controller speaker on PS4.
I no longer post here.