MS Flight Simulator 2020

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

infinitelurker

Re: MS Flight Simulator 2020

Post by infinitelurker »

I only had a few minutes to try this out over lunch, so I took off from Orlando International (MCO) and flew to Disney World. Circled around a few times before barreling in Just to the side of Space Mountain while trying to figure out the camera controls. :lol:
-something witty-
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:13 pm All 341 photorealistic cities in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Titusville, Florida is about five miles north of me.
Some states sure have a lot more representation than others. Like Arizona gets 15 but Michigan gets 2.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

OK, so how does this work?

First off, I've loaded and had my first lesson (and then went to find my Saitek, cause keyboard wasn't feeling smooth at all)...

Loading a controller on the fly didn't work well, and I needed to restart the game, and upon re-load, it looked like it was about to try and download 1.1 Terabytes ?? (I don't quite have that much room.)

I hit pause, and alt-tabbed to look at disk space, and when I came back - the pause request seemed to have taken?? and it had moved on - and loaded the game once more...

I was concerned (I am concerned) about this much downloaded content, so I went to my profile in the fame and looked at my Content Manager - It showed I had 94 GIB of downloaded content (this was apparently "90 Items").

Questions
1. Is it actually going to try and download 1.1 Terabytes at some point !?
2. Where would I tell it that I didn't want --everything-- downloaded. ?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:24 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:13 pm All 341 photorealistic cities in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Some states sure have a lot more representation than others. Like Arizona gets 15 but Michigan gets 2.
Definitely some head scratchers, there. The city I live in is not really visually interesting from above, but Goose Creek and Summerville, SC?! WTF man. Give us...I dunno...Santiago, Chile, or Bergen, Norway or something else! I assume it was based on population only (those two cities are suburbs of Charleston). Still, more international cities over some US suburban sprawl would be more interesting (to me at least).
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

As far as I know it has the base game which is whatever # of gigs + you can set a cache. Right now my cache is 20 gigs, but I may bump it up to 50 if it has any point. You will not need to download or have that much storage. Nobody would be able to deal with that. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Octavious wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:35 pm As far as I know it has the base game which is whatever # of gigs + you can set a cache. Right now my cache is 20 gigs, but I may bump it up to 50 if it has any point. You will not need to download or have that much storage. Nobody would be able to deal with that. :lol:
and where did you set this cache size? I didn't see it.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:34 pm
Alefroth wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:24 pm

Definitely some head scratchers, there. The city I live in is not really visually interesting from above, but Goose Creek and Summerville, SC?! WTF man. Give us...I dunno...Santiago, Chile, or Bergen, Norway or something else! I assume it was based on population only (those two cities are suburbs of Charleston). Still, more international cities over some US suburban sprawl would be more interesting (to me at least).
I think it has to do with which cities have been photographed in parallax for Bing maps, rather than what the FS team wanted to showcase.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

malchior wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:45 pm What I've seen some people doing is cold starting planes and typing in the routes into the simmed FCS on the planes. With mostly ok results.
Good call. I haven't been able to devote enough time to a long enough session to do that yet. It might be worth a try.

I wonder who the flight planner is aimed at? Casuals won't give a fuck about it, and it's not good enough for simmers. Absolute waste of time.

I'll say one thing in MSFS's favour. After the novelty of the photo scenery wears off, the integrated multiplayer will be a massive draw, in my opinion. I've already seen people organising group tours together. I might even get in on one later!
I no longer post here.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Uhh Fort Worth, but not Dallas?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:14 pm

Uhh Fort Worth, but not Dallas?
I'm suspecting that maybe Titusville is in there because the detail also includes the nearby Kennedy Space Center.

It is a little weird that they included Pierre, SD which has a population of around 15,000 but not Rapid City which is about four times the size. However, Pierre (pronounced as one syllable by the way) does lie on the Missouri River and there is a dam near there:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
raydude

Post by raydude »

I've been a PC rotorhead ever since Jane's AH-64D Longbow, so I'm going to wait until MSFS gets helicopters. Which apparently are coming for free in a future update.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Alabama gets Nine cities on the list, while the UK gets two?! WTF! And where's London! :evil:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

raydude wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:36 pm I've been a PC rotorhead ever since Jane's AH-64D Longbow, so I'm going to wait until MSFS gets helicopters. Which apparently are coming for free in a future update.
Oh, I might have to get a new computer when that is available. Assuming that the controls are implemented realistically and I can get some dedicated helo controls for the PC, if there are such things.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

In the past, you just used the throttle as the cyclic. Reverse direction for power, of course.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

gbasden wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:59 pm
I think it has to do with which cities have been photographed in parallax for Bing maps, rather than what the FS team wanted to showcase.
That makes sense, but then makes me wonder why those cities were mapped.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Unagi wrote:
Octavious wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:35 pm As far as I know it has the base game which is whatever # of gigs + you can set a cache. Right now my cache is 20 gigs, but I may bump it up to 50 if it has any point. You will not need to download or have that much storage. Nobody would be able to deal with that. Image
and where did you set this cache size? I didn't see it.
I'd have to check when I get home if nobody answers but it's definitely in the options somewhere in game. I have it going to a different drive that I use for storage.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:43 pm In the past, you just used the throttle as the cyclic. Reverse direction for power, of course.
Yeah, that's what I was using for all my two-decades-ago helo sims. I was hoping someone has made something more realistic, maybe with a collective lever that mounts on the side of a chair, something like that. I got my private pilot's license about a half-century ago :shock: and I've been thinking about talking my wife into letting me take helicopter lessons, there's a school at my local airport. Barring that unlikely possibility, I'd have to settle for a really realistic helo sim and controls setup.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Interesting spread - 93 on Metacritic right now with 43 reviews in, and 52% user review on Steam! That's relatively interesting/unusual. If it was cheaper, I would maybe attribute the poor Steam reviews to steep hardware requirements, or maybe that it's not enough of a "game", but I wouldn't think somebody expecting "Ace Combat 5" would be buying this.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:20 pm Interesting spread - 93 on Metacritic right now with 43 reviews in, and 52% user review on Steam! That's relatively interesting/unusual. If it was cheaper, I would maybe attribute the poor Steam reviews to steep hardware requirements, or maybe that it's not enough of a "game", but I wouldn't think somebody expecting "Ace Combat 5" would be buying this.
The Steam launch has been something of a mess. At midnight they didn't have the right packages ready to go. Now there is an issue with add-on packages not being allocated to purchasers. (I'm having this problem). So some people dropped $120 and are pissed that they are getting the $60 experience. I'm sure they'll fix it today but people are raging because nothing is more important than some add-ons. :lol:

It's about what you'd expect. That said, I'm enjoying the hell out of the base stuff for the moment. I just did a ramp start A320neo flight from Trenton, NJ to Pittsburgh to get the achievement the proper way. (Earlier I mentioned steam achievements were firing wrong). I'll say the performance isn't what I'd expect either but I'm sure that'll get there.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

It's riddled with other issues as well, some of which I've mentioned in this thread. ATC doesn't work properly, the cockpits are incredibly half-arsed, etc. As Malchior said, it was definitely rushed out.

Edit: I suspect it hasn't been implemented yet (wouldn't surprise me) but if anyone figures out how to set NAV 1 in the G1000, kindly let me know.
I no longer post here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

FWIW they already "fixed" the DLC issue on Steam. If you had it happen, *log out* -- not exit out -- of steam completely and log back in. It'll drop the DLC into your steam inventory. The DLC shows up in steam for me now. It isn't grabbing the packages yet but it looks like the marketplace is down. Launch day issues.

Edit: I restarted the program 2 or 3 times and now the packages are downloading. I had this experience last night too. I think the "find updates" function times out sometimes under load and just skips by it sometimes.
Last edited by malchior on Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

New bug. I just started a flight and nothing in the cockpit was clickable at all (so slightly worse than the default :lol: ). Couldn't even switch on the battery. The menus all worked, but my mouse just didn't register in the cockpit at all. I had to restart and sit through that LONG load time again.
I no longer post here.
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

The load times just to get into the game are a bit long given that I’m running a close to top-tier machine. I’m not sure what they’re doing at some points when it is loading, my drive isn't indicating that it’s loading anything, perhaps it’s hitting some online services which are currently under load due It being launch day. Hopefully it improves.
-something witty-
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Paradroid wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:06 pm New bug. I just started a flight and nothing in the cockpit was clickable at all (so slightly worse than the default :lol: ). Couldn't even switch on the battery. The menus all worked, but my mouse just didn't register in the cockpit at all. I had to restart and sit through that LONG load time again.
Out of curiosity, were all the instruments "live" on previous versions? You mentioned upthread that many of the toggles and switches don't work, as if they did on previous versions.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:13 pm
Paradroid wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:06 pm New bug. I just started a flight and nothing in the cockpit was clickable at all (so slightly worse than the default :lol: ). Couldn't even switch on the battery. The menus all worked, but my mouse just didn't register in the cockpit at all. I had to restart and sit through that LONG load time again.
Out of curiosity, were all the instruments "live" on previous versions? You mentioned upthread that many of the toggles and switches don't work, as if they did on previous versions.
Sorry, I can't remember the last time I played a game in this series. I've been comparing this one to X-Plane 11, whose aircraft have close to 100% working cockpits (only incredibly minor stuff isn't modelled).

The most galling omission in the 747 in my opinion is the EFB - if you don't know, it's a tablet PC which sits in a cradle next to the pilot and contains all sorts of incredibly useful information and tools. To not even attempt to model that is...well, kind of unforgivable really.
I no longer post here.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:52 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:43 pm In the past, you just used the throttle as the cyclic. Reverse direction for power, of course.
Yeah, that's what I was using for all my two-decades-ago helo sims. I was hoping someone has made something more realistic, maybe with a collective lever that mounts on the side of a chair, something like that. I got my private pilot's license about a half-century ago :shock: and I've been thinking about talking my wife into letting me take helicopter lessons, there's a school at my local airport. Barring that unlikely possibility, I'd have to settle for a really realistic helo sim and controls setup.
I'd love that setup. I've got my commercial and CFI in helicopters and I would love proper controls.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Paradroid wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:18 pmThe most galling omission in the 747 in my opinion is the EFB - if you don't know, it's a tablet PC which sits in a cradle next to the pilot and contains all sorts of incredibly useful information and tools. To not even attempt to model that is...well, kind of unforgivable really.
Same thing in the A320neo. They short cut things. The streamers were essentially saying that until payware comes out the hardcore simmers wouldn't be happy. Sounds right.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

malchior wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:49 pm
Paradroid wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:18 pmThe most galling omission in the 747 in my opinion is the EFB - if you don't know, it's a tablet PC which sits in a cradle next to the pilot and contains all sorts of incredibly useful information and tools. To not even attempt to model that is...well, kind of unforgivable really.
Same thing in the A320neo. They short cut things. The streamers were essentially saying that until payware comes out the hardcore simmers wouldn't be happy. Sounds right.
Yep, 100% this. The people on the XP forum are pissing themselves laughing about it.

I'm kind of getting used to it now, I guess. I'm currently at FL310 flying from Salt Lake City to Oakland International and things are going more or less smoothly and I'm starting to enjoy the scenery. It's just wearying to see INOP every time I hover over any control.

When I received taxi clearance at KSLC I handed control to the AI to see what it would do. I watched it proceed to circle the parking area twice, before finally wandering vaguely in the direction of RWY 16L. Under orders to hold short, it proceeded onto the runway, cut power, and just sort of trundled down the runway. Eventually I took control and took off myself. :lol:

Edit: I don't think the N1 performance settings are working properly in the 747. I had everything set correctly (as much as the game allowed me to, anyway) but for the life of me I couldn't get it into CLB mode. It's been in CRZ for the whole flight so far, and the THR A/P button does nothing.
I no longer post here.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

https://komodosimulations.co.uk/
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

So I'm using "live weather" but wind is always 225 @ 03 kts. Others online are reporting the same. :roll:

But good news - I found something that works! At FL310 I started to get some ice on the windscreen. Nice effect. I looked for the de-ice button, pressed it, and the ice rapidly melted!
I no longer post here.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

The game recognizes my X52 HOTAS, but will not assign any controls to it. This displeases me.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:08 pm
Oh, baby! That's what I'm talking about! :D Thanks for finding that link. They are expensive, but so are helicopter lessons :roll:
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

RunningMn9 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:29 pm The game recognizes my X52 HOTAS, but will not assign any controls to it. This displeases me.
Is that the pro? Because someone on the XP forum had issues mapping his too, and he said that this video helped:

I no longer post here.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

RunningMn9 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:29 pm The game recognizes my X52 HOTAS, but will not assign any controls to it. This displeases me.
Download the latest ‘customize software for Win10 if you’ve not.

I had the same problem, same hardware, and that corrected it
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

jztemple2 wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:08 pm
Oh, baby! That's what I'm talking about! :D Thanks for finding that link. They are expensive, but so are helicopter lessons :roll:
I live to enable.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Thanks for the tips. I did download the latest customization software from Logitech. Will report tomorrow if that did the trick.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
malchior

Post by malchior »

Active Pause is broken. I was trying to figure out how you add a Clearance transition into the fakakta A320neo FCS. I disengaged the Active Pause and the plane essentially went completely out of controlled flight. Lol. I was able to recreate it twice.
Last edited by malchior on Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I played for about an hour tonight, then uninstalled (Game Pass version).

This is the first time I've ever played a Microsoft Flight Simulator. The genre doesn't really interest me at all, but for free it was worth giving it a shot. I ran through a few of the tutorials, but after crashing a few times I realized it wasn't really my thing.

That said, I can certainly understand why flight enthusiasts would absolutely love it, especially with all the hardware, etc.

It didn't run particularly well on my rig either, which is another reason I uninstalled. Once I was in the air it was more or less OK, but the loading times were absolutely atrocious and I definitely saw significant frame rate dips at lower altitudes.

The one silver lining is that it made me want to reinstall American Truck Simulator. I'm a lot less deadly on the road than in the air, apparently. :D
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The biggest reason that gamers have trouble trying flight simulators is that they tend to grossly overcontrol things. It's like driving a car on a straight road - tiny movements and corrections. It's hard to let go of the gaming reaction that teaches you to go all-in when you need to turn, or climb, or whatever.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Also the number one rule is after you get in the plane. Look all around and let the game load. One day a flight sim won't have that issue. One day...

My only real annoying grip is the trees. There's wayyyyy too many of them and they are in silly places. I hope that gets tweaked in the future.

I tried a bunch of things today and I'm pretty blown away. I took off in some random airport in Bosnia with live weather. It was rainy and super foggy. I ended up getting totally disoriented and crashed into trees and it was amazing. :)

We flew over my wife's hometown in Germany and she was able to recognize a ton of stuff. She couldn't stand the extra trees everywhere though lol.