Fundraising for 2020/2021: Currently at $1580. Fundraising has begun, see the global post for options. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

Watch Dogs: Legion

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Max Peck

Watch Dogs: Legion

Post by Max Peck »

It's Brexit-fixing time.

Time and tide melt the snowman.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.
-- The Doctor

jztemple2

Re: Watch Dogs: Legion

Post by jztemple2 »

Damn it, there goes the neighborhood :cry:

I was really, really hoping for something not quite as violent and depressing as the first game, but not as new wave, punk, grunge as the second. Maybe a bit of a mix. What it looks like we're getting is Homefront: The Revolution with some The Division and enough Cyberpunk 2077 to steal away some sales from that game. As if it could :wink:. And being able to play "any NPC"? Eh. Oh, and I see some Saints Row IV and HITMAN thrown in too. What a mess.

I'll probably end up buying it on release day anyway :grund:
The book historian Richard Altick once wrote, “There has always been a popular belief that more than casual attention to books is either a symptom or a cause of madness.”

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I stumbled across a pair of good articles at IGN tonight.

Watch Dogs Legion is Ubisoft's Most Insanely Ambitious Game - E3 2019
Watch Dogs Legion, Ubisoft’s third game in its hacktivist open-word series, asks a lot of questions. Just how far are we willing to let authoritarianism and corporate greed dictate the course of society? What are the consequences of under-funded public services? What happens when ordinary people make a stand? Its most fascinating question, though, is what if every non-playable character was playable?

I recently visited Ubisoft Toronto to meet with the Watch Dogs Legion team and watch the game being played for 45 minutes. At first glance, Legion is what you would expect from the third game in the Watch Dogs series; there’s an open-world where you can drive cars, hack CCTV cameras, and play havoc with people's lives and smartphones. But there’s much, much more to Watch Dogs Legion. Underpinning the entire game is an interconnected network of systems that allow for an astonishing set of possibilities.
Watch Dogs Legion's Director on Brexit, Politics, and Ubisoft - E3 2019
Watch Dogs is inherently political; it’s a series that feeds on both fears and realities of corporations that have infiltrated our lives via technology. That stance is not about to change with Watch Dogs Legion. Despite Ubisoft’s hesitation to get involved in political debate around the releases of The Division 2 and Far Cry 5, the Watch Dogs Legion development team is producing a game that acts as a rallying cry against the world’s current problems of rising authoritarianism and economic strife.

I recently visited Ubisoft Toronto and spoke with Clint Hocking, the creative director of Watch Dogs Legion. Our conversation made it clear that Watch Dogs Legion has plenty to say about the world today, and it’s going to use real-life political touchstones - including Brexit - to ground its story and provide a starting point for its potential future nightmare.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.
-- The Doctor

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The game may not be as full-on John Wick as the E3 reveal implied (unless you want it to be, of course).

Creative Director of Watch Dogs: Legion Isn’t Sure If You Can Complete the Game Non-Lethally
We really focused on having non-lethal weapons this time around so about half of the weapons are non-lethal and then we focused on making on a pretty robust melee system so if you don’t pull out guns, the enemies won’t pull out guns –in most cases.

We really wanted to make sure that non-lethal was an option in any combat encounter.

I’m not going to say it was a goal for us to say that players can beat the game without killing anyone –maybe you can, I actually don’t know. It’s not a goal for us; the goal was to make sure we have robust non-lethal options for players.

-- The Doctor

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Max Peck wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:05 pm
The game may not be as full-on John Wick as the E3 reveal implied (unless you want it to be, of course).

Creative Director of Watch Dogs: Legion Isn’t Sure If You Can Complete the Game Non-Lethally
We really focused on having non-lethal weapons this time around so about half of the weapons are non-lethal and then we focused on making on a pretty robust melee system so if you don’t pull out guns, the enemies won’t pull out guns –in most cases.

We really wanted to make sure that non-lethal was an option in any combat encounter.

I’m not going to say it was a goal for us to say that players can beat the game without killing anyone –maybe you can, I actually don’t know. It’s not a goal for us; the goal was to make sure we have robust non-lethal options for players.
That's a bit of a pleasant surprise. Maybe I should get a little excited after all :horse:
The book historian Richard Altick once wrote, “There has always been a popular belief that more than casual attention to books is either a symptom or a cause of madness.”

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I missed it live, but Ubisoft streamed some gameplay yesterday. Apparently they had a power outage, so the session is broken across 2 VODs.

-- The Doctor

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've never gotten into streaming. Watching hours of people talking about or playing a game takes a poor second to actually playing a game myself. But thanks for the links anyway :wub:

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

One thing that is mentioned by the devs during the demo is that it is possible to attempt to recruit hostile NPCs as well the regular folks-on-the-street. Recruiting Albion security guards and employees to bring down the regime from the inside is definitely going on the bucket list.

-- The Doctor

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The new release date is 29 Oct 2020.

-- The Doctor

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Max Peck wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:04 pm
The new release date is 29 Oct 2020.
Well, at this is will be this year :roll:

coopasonic
Loading…

Post by coopasonic »

I watched the hands-on preview video from ACG and it looks cool enough. The concept is kind of crazy, but the interesting kind of crazy.
-Coop

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

jztemple2 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:00 pm
I've never gotten into streaming. Watching hours of people talking about or playing a game takes a poor second to actually playing a game myself.
I know this comment is over a year old, but I'm in the same boat. My eldest kid loves to watch people play games. I don't get it. I prefer to spend that time playing.
More than ever, now is the time to stand by the causes you believe in; donate and support to keep America great.
Reproductive Rights, Environmental Defense, Civil Liberties, LGBTQ Awareness, Immigration Rights
Currently playing: Lotsa' Switch - Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Fire Emblem: Three Houses

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Time for some trailer videos. Actually some pretty clever stuff.

Watch Dogs: Legion: Resistance Trailer:

Watch Dogs: Legion: Gameplay Overview Trailer: