Roundabout, the spinning limousine game

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Hipolito

Roundabout, the spinning limousine game

Post by Hipolito »

I recently tried Roundabout, in which you're a chauffeur whose limousine is constantly revolving. You drive around town on a GTA-like open world map, taking on missions, challenges, and collectibles. Because of your peculiar driving style, it's tricky to avoid obstacles. You'll constantly flatten fences, knock over traffic cones, and kill pedestrians (which earns you money).

Your passengers will comment on your driving style and wonder why you can't just drive in a straight line, but as long as you get them to where they need to go, it's generally not a problem. However, you do have to avoid hard obstacles such as buildings, lampposts, trees, and other vehicles. If you hit those five times, your car explodes and you have to try again from the nearest checkpoint. (Fortunately, there are lots of checkpoints.)

The story is told through kitschy FMV cutscenes with a 1970s feel. Your chauffeur is a silent protagonist who greets her customers with restrained bemusement.

It's all quite cute and absurd, and has inspired some interesting queer thinkpieces. With my meager arcade skills, though, I found the game too difficult and frustrating, so I stopped at only about 15% completion. It was worth trying.